color
clarity

what''s next on your reading list?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2009 2:40:46 PM
Author:ficklefaye

i just purchased 'the time traveler's wife', i'm hoping to finish it before the movie comes out, but i'm a slow reader or easily distracted, whatever you want to call it
There is further discussion of The Time Traveler's Wife on page one of this thread. I think that is where I first heard about the book. [The discussion isn't substantive; no one attempts to find the theme or

anything. I just meant that there is more than this one comment there.] At any rate, I am finally reading this book and enjoying it so far. This thread and the summer reading thread seem to be occupying the

same space in time at the moment, by the way, given that it is almost summer so what I read next will probably also be my summer reading. Where am I supposed to post about it?

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan yesterday and really enjoyed it. I''m starting The Yearling now.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2010 11:40:46 AM
Author: dragonfly411
I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan yesterday and really enjoyed it. I''m starting The Yearling now.
I love Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

We just read Like Water for Chocolate for my book club and I was surprised that I didn''t love the book. I''ve heard nothing but raves about it for years, and while I enjoyed parts of it, I found that her writing style made it difficult for me to really connect with any of the characters.

We''re reading Time, Love, Memory by Jonathan Weiner this month and it''s pretty interesting thus far.

DH and I are also reading The Stand together. I''m enjoying it.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I really liked Snow Flower and the Secret Fan as well.

Currently I''m reading The Passage (I''m in a vampire/zombie/apocalypse mood - must come with studying for the bar), but I recently finished Rothfuss'' Name of the Wind, and oh my, that is definitely one of the best fantasy books I''ve ever read. I''m just so disappointed that the trilogy isn''t complete and I''ll be waiting forever for the second and third books to come out.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After I read The Time Traveler''s Wife, I wanted some escape reading and I wanted I wanted it quickly! (I kept going to the Amazon reviews and discussions of the the book I had just finished and wanting to

comment on it and read other people''s opinions of it.) I started to read Joseph Perry''s The Strip, which was the perfect antidote for Time Traveler''s Wife. Joseph Perry has a unique gift for drawing likeable characters;

even his professional assassins are always likeable. I have almost finished The Strip and I know I will miss it. It lifted the depression that I was left in by The Time Traveler''s Wife!

AGBF
34.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I''m hoping that this weekend I will finish The Discovery of Poetry, and The Yearling, and will be venturing into another non fiction. I have Under the Tuscan Sun on the side as well lol. I don''t have a for sure plan on what is next.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 11:47:08 AM
I''m hoping that this weekend I will finish The Discovery of Poetry, and The Yearling, and will be venturing into another non fiction. I have Under the Tuscan Sun on the side as well lol. I don''t have a for sure plan on what is next.
I''m really enjoying Time, Love, Memory. (I included a link my post above.) It''s about Seymour Benzer''s research on the origins of behavior. It''s very interesting, although I''m only about 40% in so far.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Help is the next book I need to pick up from the library. I just finished Anne Tyler''s book, Noah''s Compass, and although it was a little slow, I liked it. I also just read Jennifer Weiner''s book, Best Friends Forever, which was good.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 8:48:05 PM
Author: Zoe
The Help is the next book I need to pick up from the library. I just finished Anne Tyler''s book, Noah''s Compass, and although it was a little slow, I liked it. I also just read Jennifer Weiner''s book, Best Friends Forever, which was good.
I saw Jennifer Weiner speak about Best Friends Forever, and the only thing I can think of when I see that book is that she said she hated the cover because it looks like one of the girls is picking a wedgie! HA!

She was really great, by the way.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

zoebartlett said:

I just finished The Help and enjoyed it quite a lot.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman, which I first heard about in this forum. I really enjoyed it. It was a coming of age book, and I generally get pleasure from that genre. It was also not depressing, which made me give it a few extra stars! I really didn't want to read anything depressing. The icing on the cake was that it featured Savannah, Georgia, a city of which I have recently grown quite fond. After my daughter and I visited it this year, I read another book set there, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and then saw the DVD of the movie made of that book. Savannah is beginning to feel like an old friend!

The writing of Saving CeeCee Honeycutt is comfortable and entertaining. It is an agreeable book.

AGBF
:read:

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I have a ton of books on my shelf needing to be read... they include:
"The Thirteenth Tale",
"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Society",
"Under the Banner of Heaven",
"What is the What",
"Into the Forrest" and
"We Need to Talk About Kevin"

I love this thread...I have put several of the recs on my library request form. While I do *love* the library, I really dislike waiting months for a book. Oh well. I have plenty to keep me busy.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter had given me Bad Dogs Have More Fun by John Grogan, the author of Marley and Me, for Mother's day. I was trying to read through it but discovered that very little of it was about about dogs and that it was not the sort of book I wanted to read from cover to cover. (It was a collection of Mr. Grogan's newspaper columns.) So I read a few columns that interested me and put the book aside for future, similar, little moments. I am now reading a Harry Bosch detective story by Michael Connelly. (I know, I know. Back to the trash. But it's good trash.)

Deb/AGBF

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Haven said:
Date: 6/7/2010 11:40:46 AM
I love Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

We just read Like Water for Chocolate for my book club and I was surprised that I didn''t love the book. I''ve heard nothing but raves about it for years, and while I enjoyed parts of it, I found that her writing style made it difficult for me to really connect with any of the characters.

We''re reading Time, Love, Memory by Jonathan Weiner this month and it''s pretty interesting thus far.

DH and I are also reading The Stand together. I''m enjoying it.

I didnt *love* Like Water for Chocolate either, and like you i thought i would! I read The Law of Love by Laura Esquivel first and really liked that one. It was magic realism and came with a CD, you listened to the music as the characters did. It was quite a novel concept and it got me hooked on Puccini at about age 15/16 8)

I just read the Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber and it was very enjoyable. A thriller about shakespeare? right up my alley!! i also read Inkheart which i enjoyed though probably wouldnt go out of the way to read the rest of the trilogy.

I think Emma will be next (Jane Austen's of course...) - i realised recently that i dont think i ever finished it, making it the only Austen work i havent read. I love a good bodice ripper so im very pumped :bigsmile:

ive got a big list to get through once i get my kindle (just under a month folks, im counting down!)...

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I just finished book 4 by a author, Patricia Briggs. She writes smutty vampire, werewolf shapeshifter kinda stuff that is pretty good and now I should be reading my "Fundamentals of critical care" for a re cert test next week for work but I heard a quote the other night on tv from one of my favorite poems so now I am reading Longfellow and goofing around on pricescope, I have had "The Shack" sitting by my bed for about 3 months, I think that is next but we did have a new used bookstore open in our town that I might have to check out,(after the test of course).

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Haven said:
I just finished Replay by Ken Grimwood and really enjoyed it. It was this month''s book club pick. I''ve been reading Spark by John Ratey and Merle''s Door by Ted Kerasote, who is my very good friend''s uncle. I''m really enjoying both books thus far.

I just stumbled onto this thread today and am so glad to have found it. Every time I finish a book I have that nagging "What should I read next?" feeling.

I just have to say that Merle's Door is by far my favorite dog-themed book. It honestly changed the way I interact with my dogs (based on his research about how non-alpha wolves interact in the wild), even though it was a story about his life with Merle. He's a fantastic writer--I can't believe he's your friend's uncle, that's fantastic! I will be reading Pukka as soon as it comes out.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I EVER finish The Help, I have a few books waiting for me in our bookcase:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Beachcombers by Nancy Thayer
The Island by Elin Hilderbrand
Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey
Fragile by Lisa Unger
Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished The Lion by Nelson DeMille. Like most of what I read, it's pure escape fiction. The Lion is a sequel to another book featuring two characters who appear in some of Mr. DeMille's novels: former NYPD Detective John Corey and his FBI agent wife, Kate Mayfield. John Corey is a wisecracking bad boy who lives on the edge and whose thoughts are are often written as if they are part of the dialogue, making for some amusing reading. Before this I read Trunk Music, featuring detecticve Harry Bosch (sort of in the middle of the series) by Michael Connelly. I have read many books by Connelly, some of them early Bosch books like Black Ice (the second one in the series) and one of them the latest, Nine Dragons. I still don't have the entire saga digested!!! There is just way to much to it all!!! Nonetheless, I enjoyed Trunk Music. I had a great deal of trouble getting The Help out of the library, so I bought a 2009 paperback edition, which is being delivered. I also plan to read Brian Haig's new stand alone novel (it does not feature Sean Drummond),The Hunted ,and a book by Nicholas Coleridge entitled, A Much Married Man.

AGBF

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend some books for me? I need to find some self help books to boost confidence, help me to not be clingy/codependent (which the more I think on things the more I know it is true), possibly learn to let go... trust more. Also finance would be helpful.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I'm stillk going thru the biography of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. It's over 900 pages and at times can be slow going, but reading the exerpts from her diaries can be fascinating. I'm also reading "Gone to Soldiers" by Marge Piercy. It's a story of intertwining lives during World War II. I love it.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend some books for me? I need to find some self help books to boost confidence, help me to not be clingy/codependent (which the more I think on things the more I know it is true), possibly learn to let go... trust more. Also finance would be helpful.

Hey, Dragonfly, I haven't read it myself, but my sister read "Codependent No More" by Melodie Beatty after her divorce and really liked it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
This might sound a little off, but Alexandra Stoddard's books are so relaxing to read. They aren't about boosting confidence, but more about recognizing the beauty/happiness/joy in everything around you. I know that sounds like it's not the right topic, but a friend once gave me one of her books because she thought I'd enjoy it, and I did. I feel like I'm meditating when I read them. They really focus on looking inward and creating the life you want for yourself, so I think that doing those things would boost confidence, and help you to gain independence, right? She has one in particular, Daring to Be Yourself, that might be helpful to you.
If you have a local used book store you'll probably find a bunch of her work there. She's prolific, and I've bought many titles of hers for $1 at my used book store.

As for finance, I love David Bach and Dave Ramsay to get going. They write in simple terms, and they really helped me organize my finances and refocus my priorities.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Thank you both! I'll be looking for those!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been switching between Harry Bosch novels (Michael Connelly) and Stephanie Plum books (Janet Evanovich). I am on the 4th Stephanie Plum and just finished the 5th Harry Bosch.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I just started Little Women today and am in Psalms in the bible. I did end up reading Codependent no More and really enjoyed it and found it helpful.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I just finished The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (YA book, book 1 of a new series from the author of the Percy Jackson books). I think it's his best one yet. I really liked it, and I'm SUPER unhappy that it's a five book arc and this is only book ONE. Gah, I hate waiting.

Completely switching gears, in honor of Halloween coming up, I'm starting either The Fall (second book of The Strain trilogy), or The Countess (recent release, fictionalize account of the Countess of Bathory - you know, the one who bathed in young virgins' blood to stay young).

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G, I finished The Fall a few weeks ago. Totally enjoyed it. Much more than the Strain. Really looking forward to the 3rd book.

I also just finished Absurdistan. Not my usual genre but hysterical. It's about the son of rich russian "businessman" as he tries to make his way back into the states and his latino girlfriend from the bronx. But The U.S. won't grant his a visa because his father killed an Oklahoma guy.
As Misha, aka Snack Daddy (because of his enormous girth), can't get a visa, he makes his way to Absurdistan (a former soviet republic) where he's promised a Belgian passport. Anyway, a civil war breaks out and ensues, is just comedic genius.

My friend recommended it and said it reminded her of A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
elle_chris said:
B.E.G, I finished The Fall a few weeks ago. Totally enjoyed it. Much more than the Strain. Really looking forward to the 3rd book.

I also just finished Absurdistan. Not my usual genre but hysterical. It's about the son of rich russian "businessman" as he tries to make his way back into the states and his latino girlfriend from the bronx. But The U.S. won't grant his a visa because his father killed an Oklahoma guy.
As Misha, aka Snack Daddy (because of his enormous girth), can't get a visa, he makes his way to Absurdistan (a former soviet republic) where he's promised a Belgian passport. Anyway, a civil war breaks out and ensues, is just comedic genius.

My friend recommended it and said it reminded her of A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

Elle, Absurdistan sounds awesome. I'm going to go check it out. I love crazy funny books :) I still have to read The Fall, but I'm waiting for the "right" day (you know, when it's all gloomy and cloudy and the atmosphere is perfect - thankfully, with winter approaching here, I'll have PLENTY of those days soon). I'm weird, I know :razz:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recently began The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain, and although it's pretty good, I put it down and haven't picked it up in a week. I've been in need of a happy, fluffy read, and this one is more serious than I'm in the mood for. I just got Nanny Returns (the sequel to The Nanny Diaries) and Mini Shopoholic from the library. I also need to pick up a David Sedaris book or two. I think these will fit the bill for now.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished The Reversal by Michael Connelly, a book in which he has homicide detective Harry Bosch and his lawyer half-brother Mickey Haller share the spotlight. (Usually if both appear in one of his novels it is only a cameo appearance by one in the novel of one of the two characters.)

I then read Black Cherry Blues by James Lee Burke, the great Cajun author who created Dave Robicheaux. I have been reading the Dave Robicheaux books in order. I also recently read a book (the first) he wrote about a new character he created a series about, a former Texas ranger named Billy Bob Holland. It was called, Cimarron Rose. It, also, appealed to me.

I am now reading, The Rule of Nine, a Paul Madriani book by attorney Steve Martini who has strayed from the courtroom! I am not sure how believable this story is going to be, but I am going along for the ride!

Deb/AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results