shape
carat
color
clarity

Ignore button

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I would love an ignore button, and I would hope it would cut down on any urges to post in an un-PS-ly spirit...

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
This is on the list to be available soon.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say that I am also in favor of an "ignore" button.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear the ignore button is on the list...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what does the ignore button do? Make it so you don''t see specific posters replies and such?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I believe you can ignore posters, so that if someone rubs you the wrong way, you just don''t see their replies/posts.

Thanks, Ali, for looking in to this. My tongue hurts from being bit
41.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I''m down with the idea of an ignore button but wouldn''t that make threads very confusing if the person you want to ignore is on the thread as well? I feel like the conversation would be very disjointed because you would not see posts from certain users. What happens when the person you want to ignore is quoted in a thread? Will this button remove the quoted material?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/22/2009 7:11:16 PM
Author: Clairitek

I'm down with the idea of an ignore button but wouldn't that make threads very confusing if the person you want to ignore is on the thread as well? I feel like the conversation would be very disjointed because you would not see posts from certain users. What happens when the person you want to ignore is quoted in a thread? Will this button remove the quoted material?

Claritek, I suggest that if having the ignore button work as noted above causes all the confusion you describe, that we have it just make the the offending Pricescope Member disappear altogether. Isn't that kind of how the karma thing works?

AGBF, trying to be helpful
34.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 7:06:37 PM
Author: PS Admin
This is on the list to be available soon.
HAPPY DANCE HAPPY DANCE .... woot woooooooo

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2009 7:30:02 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:

I''m down with the idea of an ignore button but wouldn''t that make threads very confusing if the person you want to ignore is on the thread as well? I feel like the conversation would be very disjointed because you would not see posts from certain users. What happens when the person you want to ignore is quoted in a thread? Will this button remove the quoted material?

Claritek, I suggest that if having the ignore button work as noted above causes all the confusion you describe, that we have it just make the the offending Pricescope Member disappear altogether. Isn''t that kind of how the karma thing works?

34.gif
ITA with AGBF! Never mind an ''ignore button'' which would lead to confusion - just boot the offender out.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/22/2009 10:14:08 PM
Author: isaku5

Date: 8/22/2009 7:30:02 PM

Date:

I'm down with the idea of an ignore button but wouldn't that make threads very confusing if the person you want to ignore is on the thread as well? I feel like the conversation would be very disjointed because you would not see posts from certain users. What happens when the person you want to ignore is quoted in a thread? Will this button remove the quoted material?

Claritek, I suggest that if having the ignore button work as noted above causes all the confusion you describe, that we have it just make the the offending Pricescope Member disappear altogether. Isn't that kind of how the karma thing works?

34.gif
ITA with AGBF! Never mind an 'ignore button' which would lead to confusion - just boot the offender out.
We don't just boot people out. After all, what if someone came to us and said "I find Isaku5 offensive"? Should we boot her?

We are able to deal directly with those who violate policies. The problem is, most of the ugliness and nastiness comes about from the reaction to other posts. For those that find certain members offensive and are not able to refrain from posting reactive comments, having an 'ignore button' would be an option.

AGBF, In a way, the 'ignore button' could work organically just the way you describe. If somone posted but never got responses, do you think they would continue to post?
I believe everyone wants to be acknowledged in some way, even if it is negative. This seems to be especially true of those who post just for 'shock value'.

I understand that it takes a considerable amount of restraint to not react to some people. I hope that with the 'ignore button' in place, those that see something offensive will click 'ignore' instead of 'submit' in response.
Actually, I hope they will click 'ingore' and then 'report concern' instead of submit.
2.gif
That way we can understand the problem and hopefully avoid a confrontation.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isabel, Ali, and other Gentle Readers,

AGBF was just kidding. She has often gotten into trouble with her sense of humour. AGBF was envisioning a button that the villains in old James Bond movies had, the kind where-if pushed-an enemy disappeared into a pit. It seemed like a good idea at the time. It was said whimsically, however. AGBF reads too much and she apologizes if she misled anyone into thinking that she was serious.

AGBF actually thinks that people should try to tolerate each other and get along. (She thinks that "booting out" someone should be an option of the very, very last resort.) If an "ignore" button furthers that end, it is desirable. Miss Manners-I mean, AGBF-does not feel she will need to make use of that button herself. She doesn''t actually get angry at members of Pricescope unless things are "off" in her private life. When that happens, AGBF does not belong on-line at all :).

Thank you for understanding.

Deb
34.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ignore/karma button as used in other sites is actually really great to help prevent comments meant to really spite people.

I think a "karma" rating is slightly more useful in the sense that you can rate posters. So if a spammer/idiot/troll whatever is posting, and enough people rate them as having bad karma-no one will see their posts except the offender. So the troll **doesn''t know** that no one can see their posts, so they wonder why no one responds, they get bored, and they leave.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 12:09:45 PM

AGBF was just kidding. She has often gotten into trouble with her sense of humour. AGBF was envisioning a button that the villains in old James Bond movies had, the kind where-if pushed-an enemy disappeared into a pit. It seemed like a good idea at the time. It was said whimsically, however. AGBF reads too much and she apologizes if she misled anyone into thinking that she was serious.

AGBF actually thinks that people should try to tolerate each other and get along. (She thinks that 'booting out' someone should be an option of the very, very last resort.) If an 'ignore' button furthers that end, it is desirable. Miss Manners-I mean, AGBF-does not feel she will need to make use of that button herself. She doesn't actually get angry at members of Pricescope unless things are 'off' in her private life. When that happens, AGBF does not belong on-line at all :).

Deb
34.gif
AGBF,
I'm sorry, I admit, I did not understand your jest but it worked out well I think. It gave me the opportunity to explain to those who do feel that we should just 'boot' people out, (seemilngly at a whim!) the reasons we feel an ignore button would be useful.
For those that aren't obvious shills, trolls, spammers etc, we do want to find a way to get along and only use extreme measures as a last resort.
I know for a fact that you are a kind, considerate and tolerant person. Most importantly, you are always civil and non-reactionary. You post with facts and not emotions. If everyone had your disposition and restraint, the ATW forum would be much less restrictive. Hopefully an 'ignore button' will keep places such as Hangout clear of restrictions as well. We're willing to give it a try!

Thanks for explaining your post.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 12:09:45 PM

AGBF actually thinks that people should try to tolerate each other and get along. (She thinks that ''booting out'' someone should be an option of the very, very last resort.) If an ''ignore'' button furthers that end, it is desirable. Miss Manners-I mean, AGBF-does not feel she will need to make use of that button herself. She doesn''t actually get angry at members of Pricescope unless things are ''off'' in her private life. When that happens, AGBF does not belong on-line at all :).

Deb
34.gif
I''m so sorry for not understanding the intent of Deb''s post, and on a whim, and definitely without sufficient thought, suggested ''the boot'' method.

If I were the the ''bootie''
9.gif
I would hope that I had been given a reason for it from a mod.

Again, my apologies...
35.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 12:22:11 PM
Author: neatfreak
The ignore/karma button as used in other sites is actually really great to help prevent comments meant to really spite people.

I think a ''karma'' rating is slightly more useful in the sense that you can rate posters. So if a spammer/idiot/troll whatever is posting, and enough people rate them as having bad karma-no one will see their posts except the offender. So the troll **doesn''t know** that no one can see their posts, so they wonder why no one responds, they get bored, and they leave.
The problem with this NF is that there are plenty of people who talk outside of PS and while this may sound farfetched, when women want to get nasty, they can get NASTY. I think group plotting to run someone they don''t like out of town with this method isn''t out of the question. I''ve seen it happen in a private forum of 50+ year old women (of which I was the youngest member). And 50 somethings are supposed to be MATURE. Think of a bunch of early twenty somethings (no offense to those in this category) with a popularity contest tool.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 8:01:40 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I think a ''karma'' rating is slightly more useful in the sense that you can rate posters. So if a spammer/idiot/troll whatever is posting, and enough people rate them as having bad karma-no one will see their posts except the offender. So the troll **doesn''t know** that no one can see their posts, so they wonder why no one responds, they get bored, and they leave.
The problem with this NF is that there are plenty of people who talk outside of PS and while this may sound farfetched, when women want to get nasty, they can get NASTY. I think group plotting to run someone they don''t like out of town with this method isn''t out of the question. I''ve seen it happen in a private forum of 50+ year old women (of which I was the youngest member). And 50 somethings are supposed to be MATURE. Think of a bunch of early twenty somethings (no offense to those in this category) with a popularity contest tool.

Sigh. You are very right TGal. I guess I was hoping that with this people would use it with discretion, and that many people would have to report the post for it to go into effect (and I think it usually is just effective for that post-not the person''s entire posting history or anything).

I think it would be useful when someone writes a really offensive comment for it to essentially be "erased" without the person knowing. That way they just think people are ignoring their nasty side and will back off. But that is probably too much to hope for!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 8:14:33 PM

Date: 8/23/2009 8:01:40 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Sigh. You are very right TGal. I guess I was hoping that with this people would use it with discretion, and that many people would have to report the post for it to go into effect (and I think it usually is just effective for that post-not the person''s entire posting history or anything).

I think it would be useful when someone writes a really offensive comment for it to essentially be ''erased'' without the person knowing. That way they just think people are ignoring their nasty side and will back off. But that is probably too much to hope for!
Maybe I''m a cynic NF - I wish you were right and people would use it wisely. But after seeing what happened to those women on the forum I was previously active in, nothing surprises me. I went through 4 years on that forum naively thinking everyone liked each other. Boy was I wrong. And this was a forum of only about a dozen women.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
So, does the ignore button work based on the reader or the OP? If I start a topic and don''t like a post, do I ignore it and no one else can see it? Or is it individually marked to ignore?

Sorry, I don''t visit any other forums so I''m completely unfamiliar with an "ignore" button.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 8:20:08 PM
Author: somethingshiny
So, does the ignore button work based on the reader or the OP? If I start a topic and don't like a post, do I ignore it and no one else can see it? Or is it individually marked to ignore?

Sorry, I don't visit any other forums so I'm completely unfamiliar with an 'ignore' button.

I've seen two kinds.

1. "Ignore"-which is where each person can choose to ignore someone's posts entirely. Like if littlemissmuffet drives you batty you can choose to ignore her and then you just won't see her posts.

2. "Karma/Ignore"-which usually is a method of controlling trolls/spammers. Basically if enough people report the post as offensive or whatever then it disappears from the thread-but the person who posted it still can see it there. They think no one is paying attention to them (which likely was the entire reason for the drama-esque post in the first place) and so they stop posting because they aren't getting the reactions they want. It's kind of like having the group be a moderator.

#2 is kind of like ignoring a child who is acting out.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, neat.

I don''t have any problems with any PSers but I can definitely see the benefit of an ignore button to avoid further drama once it has started in a particular thread.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I think the Karma thing could still work if it was monitored. Obviously, karma should only be used in cases where the post is offensive, not just because you can''t stand somebody. What if the Karma was set up so that a moderator had to approve the "disappearing"? That way it cannot be abused, because nothing would happen until a moderator saw it? It would work like the report button, but in a much more effective way - it would show the moderators exactly how much of the masses were offended by the post, as opposed to just one or two people being willing to hit the Report button.

I won''t lie - I hesitate to report posts because usually nothing gets done about that post, unless it has really bad language or something.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MP, I don''t think the Karma button would have worked in a couple of "good" PSer''s favor tonight. Seriously, the karma button is a BAD idea.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I still do not understand what a karma button is. I think that spammers should be removed instantly with a notification to the moderators. At least if you mean advertizers. I do not mean that they should necessarily be banned from posting. I would let Andrey and Ali handle them the way that they have been handling them. I think that their advertizements should be removed immediately (as they have been) by the moderator or administrator, however, and that whatever piece of education or warning goes on with them continues to go on. I can conceive of a poster wandering in and inadvertently breaking a rule. I do not know how Pricescope handles that. (I also do not consider that my business.)

When I saw that neatfreak wrote that the "karma/ignore" button is supposed to help with spammers, however, it woke me up! I don't want that here! I think that is up to the professionals. I think our only job related to spammers is to notify Andrey and Ali of their presence if they have not, yet, noticed them.

I still do not understand what a karma button would really do, but I feel suspicious of it. Would someone who strongly advocates it like to explain it clearly? (Or would someone be kind enough to do so?)

AGBF
34.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear the ignore button is in the works. It seems like a pretty painless way to stop a lot of this drama.

Not sure I understand how a "Karma" button would work, but it seems like it would be a lot of work for the mods, sorting legit karma...reports? not sure what word to use...from spiteful ones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results