shape
carat
color
clarity

which profile do you like better??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

Well, I got my engagement ring mounting today...finally. When I ordered my wedding set, I told the vendor that I wanted one exactly like the one on their website. Part of what I liked about it was that the wedding band and engagement ring fit flush against one another. Well, the head on my engagement ring is a little different -- it is built into the base of the band rather than sitting on top of it which allows for a much closer fit between wedding band and engagement ring. I do like the fact that my stone will be set much lower than it otherwise would be, but it means that there is a tiny space between the 2 rings. It doesn''t really bother me and I probably wouldn''t even care if it weren''t for the pictures on the website. I guess I''m just a little disappointed that my instructions weren''t followed or that I wasn''t given the option of either having the head set lower or higher to accomdate the wedding band. I don''t know that I would change it given the choice because I don''t like a high profile setting, but I''m still a bit unsure. What do you guys think? I''ll post more pictures of both bands once I have my diamond set (assuming I don''t return the mounting).

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
While it''s disappointing that your instructions weren''t followed, I think that you might in the long run be happier with a lower setting. High settings do get in the way, and it definitely looks fine the way it is.

But you shouldn''t keep it just because you don''t want to bother hassling the vendor or something--you should keep it because you like it. They should have provided what you ordered. So if you really would prefer the other head, you need to contact them.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually, I like yours better, but that''s just my 0.2. You should get what YOU want. I''m sure it won''t be a problem. Good luck!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Demelza, what size is your center stone?

I love the setting!

I guess you have to decide if you would rather have the stone sit higher or have the bands sit flush. I can never decide on which I prefer...a higher set stone, or a lower set stone. I do like how the higher settings show off the diamond, and yet the lower setting is also beautiful and more practical.

Yes, if I were you, I''d be annoyed that I was not consulted before being sent a different version than what I''d ordered. But once you get over that, you have to decide which version you prefer.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually prefer the head on the ring that you received!! I had a pear solitaire (and you know those stones require big ol'' heads!) and still, the distance between the w-ring and e-ring was like, a fraction of a mm...I never noticed it in real life, only saw the minor gap in blown up pics like the one below.

If it really bothers you, send it back and get what you asked for...and what you paid for. But having said that, I do like your ring better!!! Good luck

IMG_0725.JPG

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the others, I like your setting better. I prefer the lower settings. That''s my two cents though.

I can''t wait to see it finished!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually do not prefer your setting...I like the one on the website better.

When we had my ring custom, I asked for the same thing you did, the head to be set higher so that I could sit a w-ring flush against the e-ring with no space. Thank goodness they did it as I wanted. The head is not SO high that it catches on things and irritates me but it''s high enough for the w-ring to sit flush.

I will note that when I first got my ring I thought it was kind of funny that the head was just kind of sitting on top and when you only have one ring, maybe it doesn''t make much sense, but sit that w-ring flush against it and it''s great. I did not want a gap at all.

Lastly, the funny thing is that I used to prefer lower settings that sit closer to the hand, but now that I have had my ring for 2+ years, I am so used to the higher setting that when I try on lower settings, even if the stone is bigger, I think that it makes the stone look smaller and the ring feels very unsubstantial on my hand compared to mine.

Oh and I love the profile when the stone sits up slightly higher, it just has much more presence in my opinion. And again, my ring is not a super high profile where it catches on things and irritates me, I have only ever had it catch on things such as fine crocheted items and/or scarves etc.

So in the end it''s totally your preference....if you wanted it one way and it was not done that way, I would probably re-do it the correct way you requested. You shouldn''t have to get used to something you didn''t want in the first place!

Good luck! I love that picture of the first setting, maybe because it looks like mine!
9.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses. They helped me to make my decision: I had my stone mounted this morning and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! I will be posting pictures (many of them) in a new thread!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my side profile...for comparison.

Edited to add: Oops just noted you already made your decision, oh well! Congrats on the ring.
2.gif

mara side profile ring.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
This is a very timely thread since I am going to be doing a similar reset myself very soon! Regarding the diamond "sitting up high" (making it flush with w-ring)... do you think that a 1.68 stone may perhaps be a little too large for that? I mean, will it have to sit up tooooo high?

In other words, does there come a time in a diamond''s size where it is more practical (and better-looking) to have the head sitting down lower into the band, even though you will lose the look of it "sitting flush" to the w-ring?

Opinions? Comments? Mara?!!!
2.gif

Lynn

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2005 3:32:54 PM
Author: Lynn B
This is a very timely thread since I am going to be doing a similar reset myself very soon! Regarding the diamond 'sitting up high' (making it flush with w-ring)... do you think that a 1.68 stone may perhaps be a little too large for that? I mean, will it have to sit up tooooo high?

In other words, does there come a time in a diamond's size where it is more practical (and better-looking) to have the head sitting down lower into the band, even though you will lose the look of it 'sitting flush' to the w-ring?

Opinions? Comments? Mara?!!!
2.gif

Lynn
My two cents on this is that there isn't such a big difference between something like my 1.29c and your upcoming 1.68c, that would make my 1.29c ring comfortable for me and totally and the 1.68c too high for you. BUT that is assuming you like the higher up look, the trend is that alot of people like lower set rings...however now I can't even stand to think about doing that since every time I try one on, it seems smaller!

I think the only time FOR ME that setting a diamond lower would have to happen would be if I was sporting some big honkin' 3c.

Remember that the biggest thing that dictates how HIGH the head will be is going to be the depth of the stone, not the diameter--that's the width. So if you are going from something like a 4.5m depth (1.5c stone) to a 4.65m depth (1.68c stone), that's a TINY adjustment in the scheme of things, so the depth of the head shouldn't have to be much higher to accomodate. Depth of stones goes up in small increments. However if you are talking about a 3c where the depth is going to be more along the lines of 5.75mm, that may be too high for some people...

But again it's a total personal preference. I have to say also that it took me a while to get used to my ring and find that I preferred a slightly higher head. At first I wanted a lower settnig...but now I love the higher one and even if I try on an amazingly beautiful setting with a low head...I may adore the setting and everything but not like the look of it on my finger.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Mara! Great advice, and I appreciate it. You''re 100% right... the depth of the stone is what matters, and that doesn''t increase that much. Duh!!!
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
Thanks for your patience!!!
1.gif

Lynn

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Demelza - that setting is from facets right? (signed pieces). I totally recognize it because I want it too. I don''t understand how they could have made it different than what they advertise?? How did they explain this?

Also, curious how do the diamonds compare to others you have seen elsewhere? are they sparkly?

I can understand your frustration. Please post pictures of soon - especially from the front! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results