shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is the best shape stone for short, fat fingers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I think the marquise is your best bet. Pears are also nice, then also, what about a radient? A longer, more rectangular radient would also make your finger appear longer.

Cehra, every time I see that diamond I can''t believe the colors it throws off. They''re like pastel rainbows. You and Lynn B have the most colorful diamonds I''ve ever seen -- never seen anything like it in real life. Yummmm!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 11:03:11 PM
Author: lumpkin
I think the marquise is your best bet. Pears are also nice, then also, what about a radient? A longer, more rectangular radient would also make your finger appear longer.

Cehra, every time I see that diamond I can''t believe the colors it throws off. They''re like pastel rainbows. You and Lynn B have the most colorful diamonds I''ve ever seen -- never seen anything like it in real life. Yummmm!
I think marquise can backfire though - especially if they are very thin.... they ''allow'' so much skin to either side they can make your finger look even bigger than it already is LOL

When I posted the question about n/s e/w for my stone, everyone was pretty split as to whether finger coverage or an elongated alignment would be better on my fat fingers.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

thank you :) that was in diffused under the trees light.... I''m just dying for the leaves to come back this spring hahaha!!! Hopefully by then I''ll actually have a RING :D

ITA on the radiant - there really are several options - not to mention even rounds look good with the right setting. i''m not convinced that the thinnest setting is best, and I hate to sound like a size whore but I think the biggest you can get is best - I look at my stone at over 2.5 carats and it looks like 1.5 carats on my hand LOL

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think MQs and Pears look larger than their weight. Also have you ever thought of setting a stone (MQ, oval, EC...) east-west? That way you get more finger coverage.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 10:42:13 PM
Author: Sophie
Could you post a picture of your hand, with or without a ring on??

I have a size 6.5 finger which is kind of on the larger side, but I think it is important to note the distance between knuckle and where the finger meets the hand (for lack of better explanation). That is what, to me, should help determine proportion size.
Incidently I wear a square radiant stone...
Post a picture of my hand? Sophie you may as well have asked me to explain the theory of relativity LOL.

Thank you for you photo. I held my hand up to the screen against yours (which got some very strange looks at work at 8am on a Tuesday morning I can tell you), and my hands resembles yours in shape - although my nails are no way near as elegant.

Your rings are beautiful, just the sort of look that I would like to go for

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
This may not be what you are asking, but I must say that I think the setting of the stone makes as much, if not more, difference than the type of stone.

My fingers are rather short and squat, as is the rest of me.

I have an asscher with a halo - and I think it really elongates my fingers and looks quite nice...Don''t know if it is the pave, or the width of the band...but it works for me.

My mom has a lovely oval 2+ carat ering which is channel set with rounds...and I think it makes my fingers look like sausages...

So yeah...just thought I''d put that out there...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock

Awwww, Lumpkin, THANKS!
xoxoxo
Lynn

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for that great graph with actual sizes of cuts. It is very helpful for those of us who don''t have a favorite shape.
36.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am new to the forum, but I had to respond, I have very short fat fingers, my ring is a size 8 1/2, I think you should go with what you love, here is my rings, I dont think it looks to bad, the center is a 1.01 princess SIi2 colorI with set in a ring wrap,the sides are 2 marquis cut 15 points each and 6 rounds on each side with a total weight of .20, the wedding ring is a shared prong round .25 ct thin band, total carat weight is 1.75, good luck on choosing the right ring
1.gif

BRjul06042.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2007 1:01:31 PM
Author: findarock
Samantha, I am glad that you posted this question. I have been trying to find a ring for my future Mrs and it seems that her fingers might be a little bigger than most. I noticed that from my research of her rings, she seems to have emerald cut.
I look forward to hearing more suggestions, etc.
WARNING the emerald cut doesn''t have alot of sparkle. Not a big deal in a colored stone but sparkles are important in a diamond. And many here with emerald cut diamonds complain about how quickly they get/look dirty. I have a couple of emerald cut colored stones and I LOVE them. But I wouldn''t get them in a diamond. Thought about it many years ago but then found out that the clarity has to be really high too. But of course all diamond shapes are lovely get what your GF wants.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehra is right. Not all cushions are deep. Consider a rectangular shaped cushion.

I went out and tried on A TON of diamonds, all different shapes and sizes. My fingers are short and my space between knuckles is very short. Rounds looked terrible on me but Ovals, ECs, Radiants, and rectangular Cushions looked good.

Go jewelry shopping!! Just don''t buy anything at those stores.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results