shape
carat
color
clarity

What setting should I choose???

What setting would you pick for my cushion?

• 3 stone with white pears

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a PS'er (I forget who, so I apologize) champagne diamond with a yellow modifier in a rose gold and pink diamond halo.

The Leon stone in the link above is more of a burgundy shade of brown, so it has a red modifier. Therefore, I think that looks a bit better in white gold because of that. If your diamond has a yellow modifier, or a pink modifier, I would do rose gold. JMO.

I actually like the Leon ring with the yellow gold around the red cushion. However, any of Leon's settings can make a lump of coal look great.

brown_in_rose_halo.JPG

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH wow, what a tough decision!! I have a soft spot for colored centers with white pear sides (I''d love that setting for a blue sapphire one day), so that''s what I voted for... but really they''re both just beautiful.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
gorgeous diamond! I love the color and the shape is lovely.

I think either setting would be very nice. Have you thought
about combining them? Doing a halo with side stones?
I played around with that idea on my recent cushion
and kinda like it, even though I didn''t do it. Leon
voted it down, but I still like the idea if the side stones
are angled just so.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond and I would go with a halo.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 10:55:35 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

The Leon stone in the link above is more of a burgundy shade of brown, so it has a red modifier. Therefore, I think that looks a bit better in white gold because of that. If your diamond has a yellow modifier, or a pink modifier, I would do rose gold. JMO.

I actually like the Leon ring with the yellow gold around the red cushion. However, any of Leon''s settings can make a lump of coal look great.

tourmaline_lover do you have a picture of your chocolate diamond in a halo? Now I''m curious! And good to know about the Rose Gold! Thanks for all the tips!

In a recent instyle weddings or just instyle I want to say there was a picture of a brown pear, white halo with yellow gold prongs and it looked "off"...

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 12:17:00 AM
Author: bebe
gorgeous diamond! I love the color and the shape is lovely.

I think either setting would be very nice. Have you thought

about combining them? Doing a halo with side stones?

I played around with that idea on my recent cushion

and kinda like it, even though I didn''t do it. Leon

voted it down, but I still like the idea if the side stones

are angled just so.

I hadn''t thought of combining a halo with side stones and I''m VERY GLAD I asked everyone for advice because now I have more options!!!! Really thank you PS for your creative minds. Truth be told I might be a bit more confused as to what to do now, but relieved I have a lot of great options (and some new!)

36.gif
*hugs*

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Snooper,
I'm not sure about a cushion with pear sides. If you go the halo route, an airline would be gorgeous.

Oneandahalfrock,
Welcome to PS.
2.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
That stone is gorgeous! I voted for the 3 stone but either would be gorgeous! I can''t wait to see what you get!

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 8:28:43 PM
Author: Harriet
Snooper,

I''m not sure about a cushion with pear sides. If you go the halo route, an airline would be gorgeous.

Oneandahalfrock,

Welcome to PS.
2.gif

Does anyone know if an airline will "weaken" the setting? I''m leaning towards an airline if I get the halo. Thanks again everyone for suggestions/feedback!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi Snooper,

i think a white halo would be gorgeous with that beautiful cushion, but I would definitely take it to a few jewelers first and try it on with different settings to help you decide.

Have you decided on who will set it?

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I know you are already familiar with this "Coffee Brown Beauty" (Pinklady's ring from the DBL forum) but it always makes my mouth water. YUM!

Maybe a three stone, with cushion sides wouldn't be a bad choice. Pinklady...I hope you don't mind me posting it here! Those rose gold prongs are to die for!

coffeebrownbeauty.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 10:20:21 PM
Author: Snooper

Date: 1/4/2009 8:28:43 PM
Author: Harriet
Snooper,

I'm not sure about a cushion with pear sides. If you go the halo route, an airline would be gorgeous.

Oneandahalfrock,

Welcome to PS.
2.gif

Does anyone know if an airline will 'weaken' the setting? I'm leaning towards an airline if I get the halo. Thanks again everyone for suggestions/feedback!
I don't think so. I just checked my halo-with-airline ring and there's an extra metal strip beneath the halo.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d either do a halo or round sides. Personally, I''d probably do the sides so it could be an everyday ring as opposed to a more dressy ring. But it kind of depends how you dress and when you want to wear it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I love three stones, but for some reason I'm not seeing pears with that cushion. So the default is halo. This particular halo (which is our very own Harriet's amazing Spinel halo ring) would be fabulous with that stone.

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=458

But, if you want something to wear all the time. No halo. They just aren't pratical for all the time wear.

If I had to independently suggest something... it would be this five stone. http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=268 or a three stone with cushion sides.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2009 11:05:46 PM
Author: Gypsy
Well, I love three stone, but for some reason I''m not seeing pears with that cushion. So the default is halo. This particular halo (which is our very own Harriet''s amazing Spinel halo ring) would be fabulous with that stone.

But, if you want something to wear all the time. No halo. They just aren''t pratical for all the time wear.

If I had to independently suggest something... it would be this five stone. http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=268 or a three stone with cushion sides.
Well I guess I have to disagree. I have worn mine 24/7 for over a year except for cleaning and have had no problems or lost stones. If the ring is well made there isn''t a problem. Snooper mine has an airline and I don''t think it affects the ring at all.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, the stone is gorgeous! I voted halo since I''m leaning towards one myself. The pic posted of DBL''s yellow diamond in rose gold is splendid
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 11:12:02 PM
Author: Catmom

Well, I love three stone, but for some reason I''m not seeing pears with that cushion. So the default is halo. This particular halo (which is our very own Harriet''s amazing Spinel halo ring) would be fabulous with that stone.

But, if you want something to wear all the time. No halo. They just aren''t pratical for all the time wear.

Well I guess I have to disagree. I have worn mine 24/7 for over a year except for cleaning and have had no problems or lost stones. If the ring is well made there isn''t a problem. Snooper mine has an airline and I don''t think it affects the ring at all.
Really Michelle? That''s awesome. I baby mine. I wore used to wear it 24/7 , but I hit it on the nightstand while I was asleep a few months after recieving it and completely busted one melee and smashed the side of the halo in. I know mine is well made, and I haven''t lost any stones at all, but it is also delicate (which is something I wanted)... and I''m a bit of a bull in a China shop. I think it also depends on how you wear your jewelry too. I love your halo ring though... AND your new amazing presents that match it!!!
30.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2009 11:33:25 PM

Date: 1/4/2009 11:12:02 PM
Author: Catmom

Really Michelle? That''s awesome. I baby mine. I wore used to wear it 24/7 , but I hit it on the nightstand while I was asleep a few months after recieving it and completely busted one melee and smashed the side of the halo in. I know mine is well made, and I haven''t lost any stones at all, but it is also delicate (which is something I wanted)... and I''m a bit of a bull in a China shop. I think it also depends on how you wear your jewelry too. I love your halo ring though... AND your new amazing presents that match it!!!
30.gif
Thanks Gypsy! I''m so sorry you smashed your ring! I always thought I was hard on my jewelry but maybe I''m not. I only take it off when showering and it goes in the cleaner. So far so good.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2009 12:06:05 PM

Date: 1/3/2009 10:55:35 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

I actually like the Leon ring with the yellow gold around the red cushion. However, any of Leon''s settings can make a lump of coal look great.

tourmaline_lover do you have a picture of your chocolate diamond in a halo? Now I''m curious! And good to know about the Rose Gold! Thanks for all the tips!

In a recent instyle weddings or just instyle I want to say there was a picture of a brown pear, white halo with yellow gold prongs and it looked ''off''...
Here''s my .82 carat yellow brown in white gold. Blah Blah Blah.
14.gif
I''m going to have it reset. It does absolutely nothing for this stone. I also have a brownish pink I set in white gold with rose gold prongs, and I had it reset in rose gold. It made a world of difference and the stone now glows!! It looked dull in the white gold, even with the pink gold prongs.

brownhalo3.jpg

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet WOW, I somehow missed your gorgeous spinel had an airline! Now that I''m aware of it, I see it!

Jelly I''ll have LM set it. Actually I never saw that ring you posted, although I do remember T''s brown. If I did go the 3 stone route, I don''t know if I''d do single or double claws. I know I wouldn''t pick the prongs on the ring you posted though, too bulky for my taste.

Diamondseeker, I hadn''t thought about the ocassion (dressy, casual) but that''s something to think of.

Gypsy, funny you mention that 5 stone! A friend just had her ring finished by LM and the 5 stone is smashing! Sorry to hear about your ring
7.gif

Catmom for your advice. Your yellow gets me everytime! I''m very gentle with my jewelry (I don''t wear my rings around the house as I take them off when I get home).

I gotta say I''m leaning towards the halo more now. To think I was set on pears, so thank you again for throwing out ideas everyone!

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover honestly? I like the look of your ring!!! That''s what I keep envisioning if I went with the halo. Given what you said about the pros and cons of choosing wg/yg/rg, I was planning to use rg for the center stone. Thanks for posting a picture
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2009 11:16:05 PM
Author: Ashleigh
Wow, the stone is gorgeous! I voted halo since I'm leaning towards one myself. The pic posted of DBL's yellow diamond in rose gold is splendid
30.gif
That's actually a yellow brown diamond, just like the one in consideration in this thread. However, I do think the rose gold brings out more of the yellow in the stone giving it a really nice rich golden brown color. If you want the stone to look murky, then set it in white gold since it kills the yellow in the stone. The thing I like about champagne diamonds if you will, is that they often come with really pretty modifiers like pinks and yellows. You just want to make sure the background metal doesn't kill the modifier, or it will turn out a flat brown.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a DBL picture of a pink halo around another brown with a white shank.

pink_halo_around_brown.jpg

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I agree that I don''t want the background metal to kill the modifier. So you''re suggesting to do an all Rose Gold setting? Do you think setting a yellow/brown stone with rose gold, but having the halo feature white diamonds and plat would give it a flat look or would it be ok if I have the center with rose gold prongs?

In addition to both styles (3 stone or halo) I''d be having a rose gold cup to help give the stone more color (I did the same thing with my avatar as he put a "gold cup" which really did help the stone)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2009 12:14:21 AM
Yes, I agree that I don''t want the background metal to kill the modifier. So you''re suggesting to do an all Rose Gold setting? Do you think setting a yellow/brown stone with rose gold, but having the halo feature white diamonds and plat would give it a flat look or would it be ok if I have the center with rose gold prongs?

In addition to both styles (3 stone or halo) I''d be having a rose gold cup to help give the stone more color (I did the same thing with my avatar as he put a ''gold cup'' which really did help the stone)
I think it would be better to do an all rose gold head. Something about white gold and brown diamonds just clashes in my mind, even if you were to reinforce the diamond color with a rose gold cup. Now, if it were a pink diamond, then the white gold with the rose gold cup or even a rose gold bezel would be really pretty IMO. You might want to even consider pink diamonds (or champagne pinks - more affordable) along the halo instead of white ones.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Gasp... that stone is *insanely* beautiful. I voted for the three-stone look, personal preference, but I think either way it will look fantastic.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Gotcha, now I get what you''re suggesting :) Yeah if I was lucky enough to have a sizable pink one day, the possibilities would be endless!!!

Having read all the posts, another idea now that you mention it tourmaline_lover would be in fact, to put a light pink halo perhaps around the brown with RG, but maybe have a white diamond shank. That might prevent it from getting a dull look.

I''m thinking now when I send the stone in, to propose the 3 stone vs. halo (pink halo option and white halo on the head) and do what ever he thinks would look best with the stone??

mscushion, thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a big deal hon. I got it fixed. By Ocean (who made it). Good as new! I'm just really careful with it, now.

Can't wait to see what you choose!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2009 12:24:58 AM
Gotcha, now I get what you''re suggesting :) Yeah if I was lucky enough to have a sizable pink one day, the possibilities would be endless!!!

Having read all the posts, another idea now that you mention it tourmaline_lover would be in fact, to put a light pink halo perhaps around the brown with RG, but maybe have a white diamond shank. That might prevent it from getting a dull look.

I''m thinking now when I send the stone in, to propose the 3 stone vs. halo (pink halo option and white halo on the head) and do what ever he thinks would look best with the stone??

mscushion, thanks!
I think a white gold shank would be pretty with a rose gold halo. This is how my brownish pink is set actually, as well as the stone above from DBL. The thing is to get the white gold far away from the diamond (in the shank
2.gif
). I personally think the three stone look would take away from the diamond. If you put two big white stones next to your diamond, I don''t know if your diamond would be the center of attraction anymore. Here''s my same brown stone with two light yellow diamonds on my finger. I also think blah.
14.gif
It just doesn''t do it for me, unless the diamonds are significantly smaller than the main stone. In your case, since your stone is large, it might work out better for you.

My diamond is very pretty and has all the colors of autumn leaves in it, and I think that other large diamonds around it, or white gold, would take away from the interesting play of color. Too much competition for flash IMO.

threestonebrown.jpg

blueauratus

Rough_Rock
Oh how I love that three stone with the fat pears!! BUT- I think that cushion would totally rock with a rose gold bezel and white halo!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results