shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this ring? Speak now or...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

theplumber

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have been browsing around here for a while and now am about ready to buy a ring and propose soon. I am trying to keep it a surprise, but I have gotten a feel for what her tastes are. So I need some other opinions before dropping a big chunk of change... that's where I hope you all fit in.

This is some of the things I am looking for.
1. lots of sparkle, she doesn't like to see much metal
2. classic to antique in style, she doesn't like modern designs
3. She always loves rings with halo of diamonds
4. she has slender fingers, so I think narrow band would be best
5. I know she prefers platinum, but at least should be nickel free (skin reaction), and silver color only.
6. center round diamond 0.75-1.0 carat g-h vs2 vg-ideal cut
7. she likes the engraved metal designs like michael B (but his are $$$$$)

I have been considering the
Round Halo Cielo from Knox Jewelry. see pics
http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=266&rn=1110&action=show_detail

I would love to hear your opinions about the ring, the jeweler, the diamond, the price, other recommendations, anything you think might help a guy that is clueless in this area. Don't hold back... I can take it
1.gif

what do you think?

roundhalocielo.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it, but... It does have a very modern feel to me. I think it's the square sides and setting for the center stone that make me think of this as a very contemporary setting. Of course, you may have had something very specific in mind when you said that she doesn't like modern designs.

ETA a more open setting for the center stone would probably give it a more traditional look. Hhaving said all that, I really do love it!

theplumber

Rough_Rock
I agree and was worried about that. I think it has a modern feel when looking at the side view, but looks classic from the top. Maybe I will just prohibit her from looking at it from the side
9.gif

I wish it had an engraved design or more rounded corners
8.gif

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Hi, that is a gorgeous ring! I love the split shank with the halo. But, if she doesn''t like modern you might want to pass on this specific ring b/c the profile feels very modern to me. There are lots of rings in this style available with more classic and delicate profiles. You have very good taste!
2.gif

theplumber

Rough_Rock
@heb1976
Thanks for the compliment!
Yeah, I am dissapointed every time I look at the profile... keep hoping it will look less modern.
can't seem to find the right ring, and I've looked at literally hundreds if not thousands on line. Any advice on a good place to find what she wants?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I''m an antique girl myself. I prefer solitaire''s or sidestones. Halo''s, while beautiful, are too modern for me. Has she seen halo''s and expressed that she likes them?

Aside from that, it really is a stunning ring although I would probably go with one band.

theplumber

Rough_Rock
@mrssalvo

Thanks for the link and pic. That is a beautiful ring and almost fits. She hasn't really liked the bezel setting, I think she prefers the prongs, and the cutout under the center is a little odd, but with the bands you recommended it wouldn't be visible. will look at more of those. Thanks

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's beautiful, but it is not antique looking. So if she wants antique, I suggest you keep looking.

Have you seen rings by Beverly K? They are usually a fairly friendly price point and her stuff is very antique looking as well as really high quality. She has many gorgeous halos too.

Here is a link to some of her stuff AND a great vendor to work with:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/

This one is very nice and is much more antique looking:
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/110PP1/222/

Or this one if you don't need a split shank:
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/112PP1/222/

Ohh or this one, the price is great:
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/115PP1/228/

theplumber

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 4:00:14 PM
Author: fieryred33143
I''m an antique girl myself. I prefer solitaire''s or sidestones. Halo''s, while beautiful, are too modern for me. Has she seen halo''s and expressed that she likes them?

Aside from that, it really is a stunning ring although I would probably go with one band.

Good point about the modern style of the halo. I guess I pick those because she usually gravitates toward the rings with the halo. Maybe I''ll start considering rings with out it. One thing I can''t leave out though is the pave or micropave, she doesn''t like to see much metal, which is why I am worried about the profile of this ring.

The double band drew me in to this ring but I think you are right... not too practical when it comes to adding a band. Thanks!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I just popped "shared prong halo" into Google''s image search and found this from WhiteFlash. Maybe..?

I also had a look through the rings up on Green Lake Jewelry Work''s website because they have some fabulous antique-style rings, but nothing that is quite what you''re looking for, I don''t think. They do AMAZING custom work if you were willing to do that, but that might be too pricey.

sharedpronghalo.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 4:15:59 PM
Author: theplumber

Good point about the modern style of the halo. I guess I pick those because she usually gravitates toward the rings with the halo. Maybe I''ll start considering rings with out it. One thing I can''t leave out though is the pave or micropave, she doesn''t like to see much metal, which is why I am worried about the profile of this ring.

The double band drew me in to this ring but I think you are right... not too practical when it comes to adding a band. Thanks!

If she loves halos, get the girl a halo! They''ve been around for centuries, they do happen to be popular now, but I don''t think of them as modern...

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that the one from Knox is maybe not quite what she''s looking for based on your description. I also think the side profile shows more metal than she might prefer.

ANY of the ones that neatfreak listed would be super. You can''t really go wrong with BevK settings - VERY vintage looking and the places that do have metal are given the illusion of sparkle with engraving or milgrain.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the split shank/double band of the ring you posted isn''t very practical. It also kind of negates the "narrow band" thing you mentioned wanting because of her narrow fingers--if you have a split shank, the narrowness of the individual bands gets lots in the width of the two bands across her finger (in my opinion), if that makes sense? I think a single band is going to be the most flattering and the most practical.

theplumber

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 4:08:31 PM
Author: neatfreak
I think it''s beautiful, but it is not antique looking. So if she wants antique, I suggest you keep looking.

Have you seen rings by Beverly K? They are usually a fairly friendly price point and her stuff is very antique looking as well as really high quality. She has many gorgeous halos too.

Here is a link to some of her stuff AND a great vendor to work with:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/

This one is very nice and is much more antique looking:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/110PP1/222/

Or this one if you don''t need a split shank:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/112PP1/222/

Ohh or this one, the price is great:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/115PP1/228/

WOW! thanks! those are some great rings and definitely fit my requirements. I''m going to be looking at those much more closely. You all have such great input and ideas, I should have asked much earlier!

theplumber

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 4:16:32 PM
Author: gwendolyn
I just popped 'shared prong halo' into Google's image search and found this from WhiteFlash. Maybe..?
I also had a look through the rings up on Green Lake Jewelry Work's website because they have some fabulous antique-style rings, but nothing that is quite what you're looking for, I don't think. They do AMAZING custom work if you were willing to do that, but that might be too pricey.

OK... That ring just put me into beautiful ring OVERLOAD! My girlfriend would be going crazy if she saw all these.

I'm going to go look for that ring real quick.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 4:17:03 PM
Author: neatfreak

If she loves halos, get the girl a halo! They''ve been around for centuries, they do happen to be popular now, but I don''t think of them as modern...

I agree with neatfreak. If she gravitates towards halos then get the girl a halo!!
Besides, my rule on rings is get the one that sings to your heart. If this style screams “my future wife” then you can’t go wrong.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ove the halo gwen posted and also the Beverly K''s that Neatfreak posted. Go with one of those two options, especially since both Whiteflash and Pearlman''s have great reputations too. Apparently Pearlman''s will even send you some settings to look at in person if you can''t go visit them!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Have you looked at Simon G rings? He has some very pretty antique-y halo styles for round stones.
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I second the WF halo that Gwen posted or the Beverley K suggestions. BK have great stuff at really reasonable prices and maintain that vintagey feel.
Pearlmans have a ton of halos to choose from, and the staff are very helpful.
I''m not realy a fan of the knox one you posted, sorry.

theplumber

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 6:06:52 PM
Author: nclrgirl
Have you looked at Simon G rings? He has some very pretty antique-y halo styles for round stones.
1.gif

Hadn''t before but now I am a fan. He has very creative designs esp with yellow and white gold mixes. No prices though, I''ll have to wait til monday to see if I can afford him.

Thanks for dropping his name

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the style of ring you are describing, I really like the Vatche! It is so nice that you are really trying to work through the things that she likes. I''m sure in the end you''ll end up with the perfect ring for her - it just all takes time.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the Vatche setting. www.goodoldgold.com carries the line, are closed Monday fyi. I can''t wait to see what you choose!!

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
If she likes halo''s don''t worry, you can find them with an antique flair. I bought my halo RHR new and people ask me all the time if it is an antique. The center stone is bezel-set and there are no prongs even on the melee(sp?). I love how smooth the whole ring is, all the little diamonds in the halo and down the shank are set in a style that I don''t even know what it''s called. No beads, pave, burnishing, or prongs to be seen anywhere. There are little holes on the sides of the ring beneath each stone, and that''s where the platinum was brought together to surround the little diamonds. I think whatever setting that is really contributes to the antique look of it. You are on the right track. Not sure of the quality of Fay Cullen but she has some gorgeous antique style halo engagement rings on her website.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I really really love that design. Has she seen any halos? It's a polarizing style -- you either love love love it or don't.

You've got two very popular trends in there -- split shank and halo. But since it also has clean lines, I think it will stand the test of time. The size diamond for the ring is perfect and will make the diamond look huge! I don't think she'll see a lot of metal -- just lots of sparkle!

And maybe the custom route would be best for you? It seems perfect since you love the top view but think the side view is too modern, you could modify this one in a custom project. Custom work doesn't cost that much more than stock settings, I've found!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results