shape
carat
color
clarity

WF W-prong setting with an EC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
I''m looking for setting opinions/ideas for an EC in the 1.5 to 1.75 ct range. I know I want a platinum solitaire setting, but I want it to have some interest. I REALLY like the W-prong setting by WF, but not sure if it will look good with an EC, or even if that setting would work with an EC. The BF doesn''t really want me involved with the actual purchase, but is open to suggestions/ideas. I''ve looked at a few EC''s with him, and I don''t like the L:W too long, we are shooting for 1.2 to 1.35 range for ratio.

So what do you ladies think? Would the W-prong work? Do you have any other ideas?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure what the W- prong looks like. I have a 1.7 ec solitaire, thin platinum band. I knew I wanted a solitaire, but like you, wanted to make it a little more interesting. So, we decided to put little pave diamonds all around the basket. I also have split claw prongs. Those little details make my ring more interesting from every angle. You can also add pave to the prongs, if you want...but with a solitaire, there is only so much you can do...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2006 12:38:25 PM
Author: cdt1101

Dani - your setting sounds very nice! I think I've actually seen your thread regarding wedding band issues....which I'm also worried about because I would like to wear both on the same finger....but once thing at a time...I'm not even engaged yet!

actually, i think more gals should think about the wedding band when deciding on an e-ring. so many make it an afterthought and then have a lot of trouble finding something that will work. Precisionsethas some great settings that will work for both bands to be worn together. something like this one:

2754.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Yes- I agree with Mrssalvo- if you really have your heart set on your rings being flush, definitely think this through before you guys have your ring made.

My jeweler told me about this before we set the final details for the ring- that if I wanted it set lower, it would not sit flush- and I said fine, thinking I would be ok with it because I dont like when diamonds are set high. But, after I got my ring (which I love) I was a little sad that I would never be able to have my w-band and e-ring sit flush.

After talking with everyone on p-scope and my mom (who insists that "flushfit" is just a trend- "wearing non-flush is fine" I felt better. It is just difficult with an emerald cut because of the shape of the stone- it jets out too much. Unless you go with something like precisionset or have the diamond set high, it just wont work. And I dont think I could go with precisionset- I dont like the "matchy-matchy" look either.

So, I have come to the conclusion that I will wear my e-ring on right and get an eternity band for my left...I dont wear my e-ring much anyway- I am a nurse- dont wear it to work. And, it gives me an excuse to get more diamonds- YAY!!! To tell you the truth, I really dont like any band with my e-ring- it looks so beautiful by itself, I am not sure I would have liked anything with it- I already tried on so many and none look right!!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
By the way, the setting is pretty, but (just imo) those prongs are too heavy for me...I wanted something more delicate- I have split claw double prongs- they are so gorgeous- just blend right into the ring- I didnt want anything to pull away from my center stone...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I responded to your other identical thread in Rocky Talky and I think if you want to find an e-ring for an EC that will sit flush you need to see them in person. I suggest you go to a local B&M and see what styles are out there. I think the key is to get a wider band and have the diamond set up higher.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t necessarily want a flush fit setting. While the precision set is nice, I don''t like the matchy matchy look. I think I would be ok if I couldn''t wear the ER w/ a wedding band. I just want a setting with a different look, that''s not just plain.

My questions more is whether the W prong setting would look good with an EC? I''m just concerned that it may be too modern for an EC. To me a EC is so classy, so I''m just wondering if the setting would clash....I just wouldn''t want it too look odd.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I dont think the setting would "clash" with an EC, it just depends on what kind of look you are looking for. For me, I wanted a very thin band, with split claw prongs. I also wanted my ring to be a little different than the usual solitaire, so we decided to add the pave around the basket..you need to go look at some settings in person to find out what your preferences are. Or, look through the Forum/e-ring folder here on p-scope for some great ideas...also good to look through some bridal mags for ideas too....at least to help narrow down what you want and what u dont....

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
cdt,

I think you have been given good advice but I will just throw my 2 cents in -

I think the setting you posted would work fine with an EC. It is a little much metal for my tastes but I do think ECs are more "modern" /sleek looking and this setting works well with that. FlushFit is a good option and I like their designs but they are also too matchy-matchy for me and I don''t really like the idea that getting a decent flush has to be so difficult we need a special brand for that. :shrug:

It''s similar to an X-prong though and I don''t think it would be flush (maybe nearly, though). I would say my EC is set at about average height and it doesn''t have a basket (also solitaire) and it fits pretty flush with bands. As Tacori said a wider band may help too. Best thing to do is try on different settings you like with the kind of band you think you''d get.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I really like the W prong and I think it would look great. As for the sitting flush with w-band, that would be important to me (even a curved wedding band would be OK, that''s what I have with my X prong, I just like knowing they fit together). A quick call to Whiteflash should clear it up. They can tell you if they have done a W-prong emerald before and hopefully show you pictures!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
personally its too modern and flat...............i think the strong lines and planes of the EC eithe need a delicate setting OR a detailed settinng to provide contrast

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
thank you for all the advice! We went this weekend to a local place to look a settings, and I just didn''t like anything! We have gone a few times, but nothing really grabs me, so I''ll keep looking, but this is very frustrating
emcrook.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
In that case, how about going with a simple solitaire and keeping your eyes out for "the one"? Then you''d have no rush and could enjoy being engaged while shopping at your leisure. And a simple solitaire is hard not to like esp as a temp setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results