shape
carat
color
clarity

WF made me feel bad for my small budget for a setting!

snow12

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure where to post this, so move if necessary!

I've been searching for a setting for my emerald cut diamond I will be receiving tomorrow. I really don't like any of the settings from the vendor which I purchased the diamond from. I've been looking for a solitaire with smaller prongs and I contacted WF to see if one of their settings could hold my diamond. The sales woman over chat told me that they didn't have anything that wouldn't have to be modified to fit an emerald cut. She promptly showed me a setting which was a lot more and I told her that was out of my budget and she replied with "I see"... At the end of the chat she told me that I should look elsewhere because my budget wouldn't allow me to purchase anything from them to fit my diamond. I am feeling very insecure about my budget for a setting! :confused:

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
May I ask what your budget is for the setting? Maybe we could look around to find something suitable? :))

snow12

Rough_Rock
My budget is no more than 500. 14kt white gold is fine, this is only a temporary setting but I don't want to hate it either! I've checked out brian gavin but they would have to put in a custom head to fit my stone since it's larger than what they carry in stock. The measurements are 7.12x4.75. I would appreciate anyones help! I originally wanted rose gold, but my SO really dislikes it. :cry:

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I'm so sorry! I would look at Eternitydiamonds.com for a setting. They have several beautiful solitaires that start in the $300 range. Also, look at idjewelryonline.com.

snow12

Rough_Rock
I checked out eternity diamond and ordered replicas, say two weeks ago? and still haven't received them - doesn't seem like I'm the only one that has had problems with those replicas.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Defitely check with IDJewelery. If you are looking for a plain solitaire setting in 14kt white gold you should be able to find something there.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, ID jewelry is a good place to look. I'm sorry WF made you feel bad but metal prices are really high right now and sadly $500 doesn't get you a lot. Plus, as you've discovered, a lot of Jewelers are not going to carry settings for emerald cut stones so they end up having to special order which adds to the price. Hopefully though, ID will have something that will work :))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo|1328044732|3115790 said:
I agree, ID jewelry is a good place to look. I'm sorry WF made you feel bad but metal prices are really high right now and sadly $500 doesn't get you a lot. Plus, as you've discovered, a lot of Jewelers are not going to carry settings for emerald cut stones so they end up having to special order which adds to the price. Hopefully though, ID will have something that will work :))

Agree regarding the metal prices! Everything is so expensive especially when you need to special order or customize- I don't think they meant to be mean...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don't think they were being mean, either. If you look at their site, about the only thing under $500 is the plain Tiffany setting. But yours would have to have a special head to fit your stone. You'd be better off going to a local jeweler for that, to be honest. There is no reason to ship your diamond somewhere to get that kind of setting. WF is really the diamond business and primarily sells settings to go with their stones, which are primarily round and princess cuts. So I really do recommend visiting nice local jewelers.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think they were intending to make you feel bad. It is so hard to interpret anything in black and white email/chat. Too impersonal and too hard to read something in to a reply that may not have been there.

I'm sure they would love to help you, but perhaps all they carry wouldn't work with your size/shape stone as a stock item.

Check out IDJ for sure as well as local stores, as the posters above have suggested. You'll find something - don't worry! :halo:

snow12

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for great suggestions and making me feel much better about the situation!

I will definitely look at IDjewelry and also check out some local places. I'm located in Boston and am going to check out long's jewelry again.. I went there to look at K colored emerald cuts. they had some great ones but way over priced and not certified! I'm definitely not against getting something used, although probably pretty difficult because of the shape.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This site has a ton of inexpensive settings and the quality is great. They mostly carry Unique Settings of NY. I've ordered a few plain solitaires from them, and was impressed. Most of their rings will fit any stone shape.

www.25karats.com

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you should have no problem since you live in a large city. All jewelers (non-chain) will have catalogs of settings (like those you see on websites that are not custom) and they can order it for you just as well as someone like IDJ. It may cost a little more to do it locally, but on the other hand, you don't have the expense and trouble of shipping your stone somewhere to be set.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. Not sure what they said was insulting. You can choose to be embarassed by your budget or not. When I was looking for a temp mount for my OEC my budget was $250 ;)) Most jewelers laughed at me. I don't care. I found something in the end.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it's just for a temp setting, maybe check out Ebay? Lord of Gem Rings, Lan.bo4, Jewelryhoo, etc all carry very inexpensive settings and I believe can modify it for your stone for an additional fee. You can then have the stone locally, which shouldn't be too expensive.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Are there any local jewelers in your area? Most deal with Stuller, Adwar, and other "fast findings" type manufacturers. They all have simple solitaires and even some fancier (but steer clear of settings with diamonds or you'll pay more), and Stuller's pieces are very reasonable. You just have to find an authorized vendor, which shouldn't be very difficult if you are stateside.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would check out Dover jewelry. They have quite a few settings that are peg heads which could be switched out for a 4 prong to hold your stone. Here is their settings page-look though them all since they are randomly ordered and not sorted by price :)

http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/ring_settings

This one would work!!
http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/ring_settings/estate_020ct_diamond_14k_gold_mounting_engagement_ring.html

Or this
http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/ring_settings/010_carat_diamond_gold_mounting_engagement_ring.html

Or this
http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/ring_settings/estate_030ct_diamond_14k_gold_mounting_engagement_ring.html

These are just a couple-they have quite a few in your budget!

This one comes with matching band I realize your budget is 500.00 but for 1100.00 you'd have both!
http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/ring_settings/estate_090ct_diamond_gold_wedding_mounting_set.html

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry WF made you feel bad but I think they were just being honest about what they can do within your budget.

I do agree the ebay china sellers is an excellent option. I have many rings from them and found the quality to be great for the price. You can get a wide range of designs. If you really think about it, most of the settings sold at B&M stores are actually made in china. These ebay sellers also custom make the setting to your diamond size for a small fee.

Some emerald options.
http://stores.ebay.com/Lord-of-Gem-Rings/Emerald-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=17580167&_sid=50922125&_sticky=1&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14&_sop=2&_sc=1

There is one I love that looks like the Cartier Ballerine (I have two myself) but I can't seem to find it online at the moment.

snow12

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the great options! I received an email from WF earlier from the woman who I spoke to, saying that she should have broken down the prices and that there would be some option for me from their site, who knows if I'll get one through them since there seems to be some really nice ones that were suggested! I really appreciate that she emailed me!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I would try Marie and GoodoldGold for a setting as well. She was very pleasant to work with when I was looking for a cheaper temp setting.

titian23

Shiny_Rock
Scintillating - thanks for the suggestion of the Sapphire company! They have lovely settings, as I am looking for a temp setting as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results