shape
carat
color
clarity

Victor Canera Setting with Tiffany stone?

DavidL2525

Rough_Rock
Has anyone ever heard of someone buying a Tiffany ring for the stone, but then placing it in a custom setting? My girlfriend loves the Tiffany stones, but isn't a huge fan of the bands. I'm considering buying a Tiffany ring purely for the stone and then getting it set in a custom Victor Canera setting. Yes, I know this will have added costs. Any thoughts?

joolsiepetunia

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There is a quite a markup from purchasing from Tiffany's. If you're going just for the diamond, I would source elsewhere. There are plenty of vendors where you can find a stone equally or better than Tiffany's. I think it's silly to fall into the 'brand name' fad because who really knows it's a Tiffany stone your finger unless you go around telling people. It's just my 2 cents!

DavidL2525

Rough_Rock
She wants the Tiffany stone for the cut and quality. Any sources you recommend that could provide something comparable at a better price? Thanks

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You should hit "report concern" and ask to have this thread moved to RockyTalk - SMTB is for finished pieces.

That said, no - I wouldn't buy a Tiffany ring just for the stone. Depending on what cut she's interested in, I would work with a vendor to source a similar cut and save thousands on the Tiffany markup.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
DavidL2525|1401479220|3683371 said:
She wants the Tiffany stone for the cut and quality. Any sources you recommend that could provide something comparable at a better price? Thanks
Unless it's a specific cut exclusive to them, you can definitely get a better stone from one of many other vendors. Rounds: Good Old Gold, High Performance Diamond, Brian Gavin Diamonds...and so on. Good Old Gold also has other specialty cuts as well. For the Legacy, the closest thing I've found elsewhere is a Crisscut asscher/cushion, and off the top of my head I cannot think of a vendor that sells that line. GOG might be able to get them. Novo can be satisfied by GOG and BGD among others.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Lucida cut is unique and cool, but it has to be big enough to really see the faceting and notice that it's something different. Probably at least 1 or 1.25 cts, so you're looking at ~12-20K for a diamond, which alone should cost you 6-13K if the cut weren't proprietary. I'm not aware of any other cuts that quite approximate the Lucida, but it's quite a premium to pay.

For rounds, it would be totally dumb to buy a Tiffany ring for the diamond because there is nothing proprietary about that cut (modern round brilliant). You can buy an equally (if not more) beautiful round diamond that is higher "quality" (color, clarity, cut precision, and optical symmetry) for about 30% less.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Give us your budget and criteria and many here will help you find a quality diamond.

The value in a T ring is the whole ring with the setting. Should anyone decide to sell a T stone without its mount, I doubt its resale is any higher than resale of non brand diamonds since there isn't anything to distinguish it from a non brand stone. Do they inscribe the girdle of T diamond with any markings to show it's from T?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany grades their own stones in house. Even though they will tell you they are all accurately graded compared to GIA most are nice cuts but they are NOT all top cuts.... Victor's family have been in the diamond/jewellery trade for generations, he is cutting his own H & A stones that are better than the majority of what you will find in Tiffany's IMHO. I know that his pave is far superior to anything in Tiffany's as well because I have been a bit of a dork and have gone in there and actually compared my Victor pave ring with Tiffany's pave.

So the question would be why when you can buy a better stone at a better price from Victor himself, High Performance Diamonds, Brian Gavin or get the members here to help you find one from James Allen or Whiteflash would you want to? The whole reason people buy Tiffany product is because they get the ring, the band, or whatever with the Tiffany logo all over it. It would be false economics to buy just a stone from them. The only stone that they have exclusively is the Lucinda and for the price you could find something that is just as nice and better value that is a custom cut from Good Old Gold.

Give us your budget and the specs you want and everyone will help find you something that I guarantee will be as nice, if not better.

himni

Shiny_Rock
Why don't you just contact Victor and ask him to source a diamond. He has a great eye for beautiful diamonds and he has his own cuts which are amazing. Best of luck.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have her read up on Tiffany cuts. They are not all that great. I wouldn't Separate the stone from the ring as it loses it's resale vale immediately. No one plans to sell but you never know. And if you take it out, the Tiffany cut in a new ring means nothing.

Serendipity99

Rough_Rock
For what this is worth we just got a generic Lucida cut from James Allen. If you could share what cut she specifically likes that will help. Here is the link to the Lucida cut (called radiant on JA).

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.01-carat-f-color-if-clarity-sku-23477

Even if you have money to burn, why would you when you can get the same or better elsewhere and with ASET tests etc?

P.S. Agreed, you should request that this thread be moved to Rocky Talky.

P.S.S. Congrats on your decision to get engaged!

DavidL2525

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, really appreciate all the advice since I'm new to this. I have already emailed Victor and Maytal Hannah about their custom rings and from your advice, seems like that might be the way to go not only to get a better ring and stone, but at a much better price. I'll post the ring once I make the final decision. Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results