shape
carat
color
clarity

Trip to the jewelry store - Help me pick a setting! (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Tacori, that's exactly what I'm afraid of, that I haven't yet seen THE setting for me. But, I know myself too, and I'm an overanalyzer to a fault. So, it's more likely that there isn't really ONE perfect setting for me, but rather several I would love and grow to love more over time. BTW, a store near me has your setting, so I got to stare at it in all its loveliness for awhile!

I know what you're saying about the sapphires too, and that's exactly why I'd consider a setting with them...they'd whiten the look of an old diamond. So, I'm kind of sensitive about the color.

I still love both of those settings, and I keep changing my mind hourly. One moment, I'm sure I want the sparkliness of the pear setting, the next I'm sure I want the antique look of the criss-cross one. Maybe there's another out there that would be more perfect...I guess we'll find out on Saturday, because I'm pretty sure he's going to make me pick one then. He's made it obvious that he has a timeline in mind and I need to choose soon to keep to the timeline!

I'm so overthinking this, it makes me laugh at myself!!! Thanks for being so understanding and helpful, everybody!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh..you got to see my tacori in person. It is so much prettier than any of the photos I have taken. Like I said I am VERY decisive. I knew right away. The others I thought "oh that is pretty" but this one I was speechless. My diamond is warmer as well (an I color) and even though it does not look warmer than my side diamonds (Gs) I just think the sapphires act as a buffer (if that makes any sense) Have you thought of a bezel setting. I only notice a light yellow at certain angles and a bezel would take care of that problem. I love the idea of antique looking settings with warmer diamonds.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I would have never guessed that your stone was an I! It looks so white! And your setting is even more beautiful in person...the detail...wow!

I have considered a bezel, but I don''t want the stone to look smaller b/c part is covered by the bezel, plus I feel like bezels are pretty modern and somehow don''t make the stone sparkle as much.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the crossover ring. They are both beautiful and I''m sure you''ll love either one!

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I know you''re going to look at more settings this weekend, but I really like the antique crossover one you posted. I think it would be stunning with an OEC in it. I personally don''t like when stones like OECs are put in really modern settings. This may sound silly but putting an OEC in an antique looking setting makes it a more complete package, as opposed to "I picked out this stone then I picked out this setting".

As far as how do you know when you find "the setting", for me it was unfortunately trial and error. I had tried on this Scott Kay 3 stone ring months ago and just went nuts over it. But it was expensive and I couldn''t justify the price for the designer setting. So I set out to find something I liked as much. My diamond was first in a simple 4 prong tiffany type solitaire (that was always meant to be a temporary setting), then I was on a solitaire kick and had it put in a wider solitaire setting and while it was pretty, it just didn''t do it for me. Then I was on the shared prong setting kick after seeing so many lovely ones on this site. I had the diamond in the shared prong setting for only a couple of weeks and realized while it too was pretty, it didn''t make me say WOW! So I traded that in and finally took the plunge and got the SK 3 stone ring that I loved in the first place. I have had my new ring for about a month now and every day I stare at it like the moment I first got it! It took me a long time to get to this point and I wish I had just gotten that setting in the first place. There are a ton of settings I love, but they will always be second to "the one" for me.
2.gif

Not everyone feels that "love at first sight" feeling when they see a setting. Every time I saw one that "I had to have" (before I got the SK one), my family used to say give it the "week test". If after a week you are still as enamoured by it, then maybe it''s really one to consider. With all the other settings I had, maybe after 2 days the love affair was gone.

I Hope you find one that makes you jump up and down and say "this is it!" The ones you are trying on now are gorgeous -- I think we are all looking forward to your shopping trip this weekend!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
JDgirl, I''m afraid I won''t be much help: I am also an indecisive one. It may be that when we see ''the right one'' we''ll know it, but sometimes I worry that no matter what I get, I will always wish I got something else. I can totally relate to "I''m so overthinking this, it makes me laugh at myself!!!" so you are definitely not alone. At least it sounds like you love both settings, so hopefully either way will be fine. Does your boyfriend/fiance have a preference?

As for sapphires, I second the notion that they made a diamond look white. My sister has two side sapphire pears, and her diamond really shines and looks so white!

A question for you or anyone else: Is it common that stores will let you take pictures of the rings? The only store I ever asked in said they couldn''t. That would help me immensely, since I can''t remember the second I walk out of the store what the ring looked like or how much I liked it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2006 10:47:36 AM
Author: JDgirl
I would have never guessed that your stone was an I! It looks so white! And your setting is even more beautiful in person...the detail...wow!

I have considered a bezel, but I don''t want the stone to look smaller b/c part is covered by the bezel, plus I feel like bezels are pretty modern and somehow don''t make the stone sparkle as much.

Thank you. I only see faint yellow at certain angles in certain lighting. I do think the sapphires help make it look whiter. Did they have a round CZ in my setting? That is how they had it at our jewelers. I was so worried about how my EC would look in it but I couldn''t be happier.

You have a 2 CT stone! a bezel will not make it look small silly girl. I have seen more antique look bezels (milgraining) I will try to remember where. Can you bring your stone in so you can get a realistic view of how it will look in a setting?

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Old-fashioned, every store that I''ve asked to take pics has let me so far. Some just say they''ll take pics for me, but I have yet to have anyone flat out refuse.

Tacori, yes, your setting had a round 1 ct CZ in it...I have to say that it looks a million times better with your EC. A round stone just doesn''t echo the line of sapphires like your EC does!

I had a store bring this setting in for me too. I''m going to take my BF to see it on Saturday. They told me they''d send me a photo of it. It''s gorgeous, but I''m worried it might be too modern for an OEC.

rkg.JPG

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
JDGirl,
Congrats on your upcoming engagement! Your stone sounds amazing. I have been in the situation of picking a setting a few times - my first setting had quality issues, then I picked a temp (hubby hoped it was not a temp though), then I picked the real deal this fall. I think when you see "the one," you sort of know.... I did! But even then when you see it set with your stone, it takes a little while to get used to it!

The thing that would bug me about the two settings you posted is that they are really big. Yes, your stone is big too (which is awesome), but I really prefer a thinner and more elegant look. I love the simpler one that you posted later. If you are a taller, medium to larger build person, I think you could definitely pull off the bigger setting look. But if you are smaller and petite, I could see it being overpowering and almost costume jewelry-esque. Just my 2 cents!

On another note, are you at all interested in side baguettes a la kaleidoscopic''s setting? My grandma has a large (3 ct) OEC with side baguettes in platinum. It is the original setting, and yet it looks so classic but contemporary at the same time. I just love it!

Gail

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ohhh...I don''t usually like two tone rings but WOW. That would be beautiful with your stone. The prongs look like a crown. Very pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results