shape
carat
color
clarity

To reset or not to reset?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
.. My mother passed away when I was young, and on my 18th birthday my Dad gave me her engagement ring, wedding band and eternity ring.

I''ve had them for awhile now, but lately I''ve been thinking of either resetting and using the stones or changing the bands to white gold. Still undecided!
I don''t wear them because they are yellow gold and I only wear white gold- but they hold alot of sentimental value so I thought I would show them off
1.gif

mumsengagementring.jpg

LostieLovesBling

Shiny_Rock
I think they are so pretty the way they are. You never know - maybe in the future you will be into wearing yellow gold. I did not wear yellow gold for years and now am wearing it. Funny the way styles/metals come and go.
1.gif

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
I will probably wait until I get engaged before I make any decisions- depending on what gold my engagement ring is will depend whether I change the band
1.gif

But, saying that, I do think they are beautiful the way they are.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Your mom''s rings are beautiful--they remind me so much of my mom''s original rings. I actually wore them for a few days while my own e-ring was getting sized, and I loved it. Maybe you can keep them the way they are and wear them as a RHR or occasionally in place of your own e-ring/WB (when the time comes)? It''s always nice to change things up, and I think that wearing a symbol of your parents'' love is really special.

As far as the yellow gold/white gold question, I would just leave the diamonds in their YG setting. Colors of gold are always fading in and out of fashion--I wear them all.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps it'll be good if you asked your dad's opinion? It'll help avoid any conflict in case resetting the ring actually upsets him. I'm sure it holds a lotta sentimental value for him too.
5.gif

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
It was his suggestion
1.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I think they are lovely! Having made the mistake of resetting something from an old setting and now regretting it, I''d leave them as is, and rhodium plate them if the yellow really bothers you.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your Mom''s ring is so pretty. I think I''d leave it be and wear it on my right hand.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 8:16:12 AM
Author: geckodani
I think they are lovely! Having made the mistake of resetting something from an old setting and now regretting it, I''d leave them as is, and rhodium plate them if the yellow really bothers you.
That is a wonderful idea!
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would keep it as is. Your dad gave it to you as a gift and it has great sentimental meaning. If it''s not your style, possibly save it to pass down to grandchildren.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I would leave them. I think their pretty, and they have so much sentimental value for you. They were something your mother treasured and now you can treasure them in her memory.
1.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I would be tempted to put them into a white gold set pendent, like a three stone. Something you would always wear and treasure. I don''t think I''d do it in a journey setting (wavey) because I think that trend will pass; rather I would put them in a straight line in a classic style- pendant. Every time you glanced in the mirror, it would remind you of your mother. She would want you to enjoy the jewelry. Just my 2 cents.

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
hi! i''m so sorry for your loss....what a wonderful gift and thoughtful gesture. i like the idea of a 3-stone pendant in whatever metal you prefer. what about a fleur-de-lis pattern? or using these stones with others of your choice in a birthstone type ring or pendant? you could include your family members birthstones, and create a real treasure.....can''t wait to see what you decide!

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the ladies - leave it as is. I think the sentimental value is just too prescious to change.

I love the rings!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I think I would be too sentimental to change the setting myself... however, if you''ll wear them more in another form, and remind you of your mother- it certainly is a viable option! How is that for non-helpful?
3.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that it is a very pretty set and would leave it the way it is.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2008 4:34:45 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
I think that it is a very pretty set and would leave it the way it is.
Same here. Like you said, I''d wait and see what you end up with for your own rings, and then maybe consider rhodium plating if you aren''t wearing any yellow gold by that time. I would not reset those stones because the sentimental value is really in the rings themselves.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are very pretty - I would leave them the way they are. I am sorry about your mom.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results