shape
carat
color
clarity

THINKING OF CHANGING MY SETTING

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone,

I need help deciding what to change my setting to...something that is not going to cost us a large sum of money and something that is going to show off my diamond more. I made this decision because I am having trouble finding a wedding band that fits with my current setting. I have decided on getting a plain wedding band for now, but need to change the setting before I buy the wedding band. We would like to stay under $500.00 for both if possible. Both will be 14 K white gold.

I have an X prong setting now, and like it, but as I said am having a hard time getting any wedding bands to fit next to it the way I would like them to. I am also not very pleased that my current setting hides a lot of my diamond and would like to put it into a setting that shows it off more. My diamond is a 1.13 carat, G color, eye clean SI2 Eighternity and my fiance and I feel that the X prong is hiding too much of it. Our only concern is that other settings may not be as protective of the diamond as the X prong is. It is great as far as protecting the diamond, but does not do the diamond justice in our opinion. To give you a better idea of the setting I have, take a look at the X prong on the Whiteflash website. The one that I have actually covers more of the diamond at the girdle, so it is almost a modified bezel setting in my opinion. The only portions of the diamond you see is the top of it, a bit of the girdle, and the culet.

Send me your thoughts and ideas...please! Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about a classic 6 prong Tiffany style setting??

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Hi Kaleigh,

Thanks for the reply. I have thought about that. Is the 6 prong better than the 4 or doesn''t it matter? We have heard different things from jewelers.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
tomswife, I just want to make sure I understand correctly. You want a new e-ring setting and wedding band, both rings, for about $500?

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Ideally...yes. I only want a plain setting for my ering and a plain wedding band. If it is impossible then we can make adjustments to the budget as necessary.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you'll be pretty limited with that kind of budget, i assume white gold is what you have in mind? even then that's pretty tight.

i am not sure what is avail in white gold vs plat but the superbcert 6 prong tiffany replica is something like 950 for the e-ring and 700 or something for the w-ring? in platinum.

there is this ritani setting i love called the royal crown which is something like 1500 in plat but it's only about 800 or so in white gold. but that's still too pricey.

honestly not sure what you can get for under $500 other than honestly, something kind of cheap and boring. i'd almost rather have a thicker x-prong with some sort of design on it than one of those $300 cheapish thinner settings...those just don't add a thing to the stone IMO. just my thoughts..!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d probably get something like this one from Whiteflash. It''s $180.00 for WG and then get the matching plain wedding band.

gi_ST4PW_m.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hha mrs salvo, i was just going to post the 6 prong version...it's $300 for a 1c setting...in WG.

also that other one you posted would be more than $180 most likely as that is for a smaller stone right? (eta i looked and its $230 for a 1c setting)

i honestly don't like this setting though, i hate those side views of the stick prongs straight up and down.

wf 6 prong plani.jpg

conitta

Shiny_Rock
I think a six prong compliments the diamond better than a 4 prong plus it is more secure. The six prongs make the diamond look round where as the 4 prongs gives it a square look.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn''t there a nice setting from WF called the Le?? Does it come in WG???

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 2:43:20 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I''d probably get something like this one from Whiteflash. It''s $180.00 for WG and then get the matching plain wedding band.

gi_ST4PW_m.jpg
I definitely like the 4 prong style better than the 6 prong.

As far as the "budget", the original bugget we set was for a diamond wedding band if I was keeping my setting and was up to $1600. However, when we didn''t find anything we liked that fit well with my current setting, we started talking about changing the setting and going only with a plain wedding band. The main reasons for the change in budget is because we are now looking to buy a home which was not in the picture when we set the original budget for a wedding band. The other reason to change the budget is because we are in the process of paying an attorney to help me with the ID theft situation I was put in by my mother. Long story short...she used my name and forged my signature on several credit cards, lines of credit at banks, and commited mail fraud putting me in $80,000 of debt.
7.gif
Most of it is settled and she is going to go to jail when all is send and done, but one account is giving me a problem and I had to retain an atty to handle that one. We did not think it would have to go that far, but this one company will not let it rest and understand that I had no knowledge of her doing any of this to me. I have provided them as the others with more than enough evidence against her, including the fact that she commited mail fraud since I was living in another state when all of this was being done to me, but you know how that goes.

Anyway...that is why we are looking to spend the least amount if possible, but at the same time getting something that will show more of my diamond and fit well with a plain wedding band. Sorry to throw my pathetic story on all of you...I just felt the need to tell you so that you didn''t think we were trying to be cheap. We just need to be realistic at this point without slighting ourselves with the situation we have been put it. The original budget of $1600 is our absolute limit...so what ever we can find that we love up to that will work, but we would rather not spend the limit.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
2.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I have one word for you: Stuller

I paid a little over $300 for 18 yellow gold. Maybe 14k white goldis a little less $$.

These are nice sturdy, attractive rings for a good price. Go to a jeweler and ask them if they can order Stuller for you. Go through the catalog to select the exact band and head sizes.
I got a 4 prong, low-set head.
My stone is 1.20 and I think it''s perfectly safe.
I don''t see why you can''t get a set for about $500.
Good luck!

stullersolstice4prong061206.jpg

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 2:59:15 PM
Author: conitta
I think a six prong compliments the diamond better than a 4 prong plus it is more secure. The six prongs make the diamond look round where as the 4 prongs gives it a square look.

I can see yor point as far as the diamond appearing square with the 4 prong setting. My diamond looks sqaure on occasion with the X prong setting I have now...Maybe I would have to see it in a 6 prong style setting first. Come to think of it, other than on pics, I don''t think I have seen a 6 prong setting. Thanks!

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 3:30:33 PM
Author: dbgaap
I have one word for you: Stuller

I paid a little over $300 for 18 yellow gold. Maybe 14k white goldis a little less $$.

These are nice sturdy, attractive rings for a good price. Go to a jeweler and ask them if they can order Stuller for you. Go through the catalog to select the exact band and head sizes.
I got a 4 prong, low-set head.
My stone is 1.20 and I think it''s perfectly safe.
I don''t see why you can''t get a set for about $500.
Good luck!
Thank you! That is a very nice looking setting...Do you have any other pics?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh you poor thing. What was your mom thinking?? Obviously she wasn''t thinking, geez. That sucks!!!
38.gif

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock

Date: 6/12/2006 3:32:49 PM
Author: kaleigh
Oh you poor thing. What was your mom thinking?? Obviously she wasn''t thinking, geez. That sucks!!!
38.gif
Thank you! Yeah it does suck...I am somehow getting through all of it. I found out about it 2 years ago and it has been a long, grueling process ever since. I have a wonderful man in my life who has been my rock. He and I are trying our best to not let it affect our life together. So when we started discussing changing the setting, we then decided to go with a plain band for now. He told me we will have many, many anniversaries and one of them will bring me a diamond wedding band like I wanted initially...He is incredible!

His family has been amazing as well. I consider myself very blessed in light of it all!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/steam-room/stuller-solstice-4-prong-e-ring-remount-t46088.html

Take a look at my thread, I had an x-prong, too and I never liked it much once I tried to pair it with a wedding band. I am so much happier with my simple set now.

Regarding your whole situation, you poor thing!
33.gif
Your mother is.. NOT NICE!!
what a rotten mess to find yourself in!
Best wishes on moving ahead!!

Enjoy your new set! I found that lots and lots of jewelers have those Stuller catalogs and the rings come in, like, the next day. Stuller mass-produces them.

I have no idea why stores generally do not display Stuller settings. They seem to display really cheap looking cr*p, and of course, the Ritanis, Tacoris, Scott Kay, etc.

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 3:42:07 PM
Author: dbgaap
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/steam-room/stuller-solstice-4-prong-e-ring-remount-t46088.html

Take a look at my thread, I had an x-prong, too and I never liked it much once I tried to pair it with a wedding band. I am so much happier with my simple set now.

Regarding your whole situation, you poor thing!
33.gif
Your mother is.. NOT NICE!!
what a rotten mess to find yourself in!
Best wishes on moving ahead!!

Enjoy your new set! I found that lots and lots of jewelers have those Stuller catalogs and the rings come in, like, the next day. Stuller mass-produces them.

I have no idea why stores generally do not display Stuller settings. They seem to display really cheap looking cr*p, and of course, the Ritanis, Tacoris, Scott Kay, etc.
Very nice! Thanks for the support and for the pics and suggestion! I am looking on the Stuller website now...they have a lot to choose from and wedding sets as well.

I agree...jewelry stores only carry cheap looking settings and the better ones, nothing in between. Our other problem is that Tom bought my diamond from a jeweler in California that carries Eighternity diamonds. They are one of about 29 jewelers that carry them. They also set the diamond for us in my current setting. Since we live in PA, it isn''t like we can go to them to try different settings. It is more convenient for us to go to the local jewelers where we live. I will see what we can do as far as getting a local jeweler to order some Stuller mountings for me and go from there. Thanks again!
1.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
go to jared''s they don''t give a hard time about WHERE did you get this diamond.....?

yesterday I copied dbgaap''s plain stuller setiing at jared''s. picture in hand i had them change the head out for platinum head.

i have ruined in short time 11 years 3 tiffany style settings due to sewing and fabric abrasion. Platinum head might last a while longer. spent $225.

i now have a 4 prong. makes me nervous, having been used to a 6 prong head and knowing how I ruin settings.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Stuller is a good recommendation. You might want to ask your jeweler to show you the Roseco catalog too. My marquise is set in a simple Roseco cathedral solitaire that really makes the stone pop. When we bought it 4 years ago, the e-ring setting was $450 and the plain matching band was $400 in platinum, so white gold should be less.

ETA: The picture on the right is a picture someone else created putting a tulip head on the Roseco cathedral. It usually comes with a standard 6 prong head, but I don't have a picture of that.

Roseco cathedral w tulip head.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results