shape
carat
color
clarity

thinking about getting an oval... thoughts??

diamondygirl

Rough_Rock
hello! i have a 2ct round solitaire and was thinking of getting a 5ct oval solitaire with trillium sides as a party option/right hand ring. i'm unsure if i should just get a 5ct round again... anyone out there love their oval? do you like the oval i am thinking about? pictures of your ovals appreciated!

oval.jpeg

wedding_set__lt_3.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, both 5 ct oval and round would look good. You can't go wrong with either but I suppose it's easier to find 5 ct round than oval since some are particular about bow tie in oval.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A 3 ct RB is my limit for RB based on the big ones I've seen in person and have been able to try on. I much prefer fancy cuts in larger stones and an oval is so elegant! That said, the only way to know is to try it on yourself and decide! Best of luck and what a lovely dilemma to have!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should branch out into a different shape b/c you will most likely not wear your current MRB if you upgrade to another 5ct MRB (just ask Phoenix!). I have a 3.6ct MRB and I recently purchased a 5ct cushion myself.

I think a 5ct oval will look lovely! Kaleigh has a nice oval 3 stone w/ half moon sides that is TDF:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ready-or-not.54834/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ready-or-not.54834/[/URL]

Cokitty has a few oval 3 stone rings also:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/steven-kirsch-oval-half-moon-step-cut-three-stone.192735/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/steven-kirsch-oval-half-moon-step-cut-three-stone.192735/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/madame-blueberry-three-stone-sapphire-and-diamond.163660/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/madame-blueberry-three-stone-sapphire-and-diamond.163660/[/URL]

Let us know what you decide!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1397912334|3656006 said:
A 3 ct RB is my limit for RB based on the big ones I've seen in person and have been able to try on. I much prefer fancy cuts in larger stones and an oval is so elegant! That said, the only way to know is to try it on yourself and decide! Best of luck and what a lovely dilemma to have!

Oh I totally agree. The elegance of a round seems to go down at large carats. And ovals seems to go up.

diamondygirl

Rough_Rock
Thank you all your helpful comments! I have seen kayleigh's ring before I joined pricescope when googling designs and almost fell off my stool when I saw it was hers! Do you guys like small stones the sides or the larger half moons? I love kayleigh's setting but don't know if I could wear all 3 stones in a row. I'm a size 3.5!

diamondygirl

Rough_Rock
thank you mom2boys! that schematic was awesome and so helpful- you rock :) my dh feels like small stones on the sides won't compete with the center one... i love the idea of sides just to change up the lonely solitaire look i've been sporting for 11 years :tongue: thank you for saying you like my finger size. i have the world's spindliest fingers and wrists. dh gave me a tennis bracelet for our 4th anny and got it sized down to 6.5 but it's still a little hangy... believe me, i can totally deal! #firstworldproblems

diamondygirl

Rough_Rock
thank you for your help! i heard that rb >3ct look like doorknobs but i'm so dazzled i can't think straight when i've seen one! it is a lovely dilemma :love: my husband is a wonderful person and letting me do this. as much as i love the ice he dresses me in, they're truly nothing compared to how nice kind he is (even after 13 years together)!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondygirl|1397929779|3656165 said:
thank you mom2boys! that schematic was awesome and so helpful- you rock :) my dh feels like small stones on the sides won't compete with the center one... i love the idea of sides just to change up the lonely solitaire look i've been sporting for 11 years :tongue: thank you for saying you like my finger size. i have the world's spindliest fingers and wrists. dh gave me a tennis bracelet for our 4th anny and got it sized down to 6.5 but it's still a little hangy... believe me, i can totally deal! #firstworldproblems

No problem--I love to help out newbies! Would love to see all of your other pieces--you need to start a new SMTB thread introducing yourself and showing off your collection (love your tennis bracelet and 2ct MRB thus far)! :sun: You will fit in perfectly here! :))

diamondygirl

Rough_Rock
Holy moly! Gorge! Tysm for linking! But did I read that right? People name their jewels? Why?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say go for an oval!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It means "Show Me The Bling," where you get to showcase your diamond jewelry for all to see!

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oval stones are flattering on any size hand. You get the mass of the stone without the width. And, that'll be a whopper of a party ring!

diamondygirl

Rough_Rock
@mom2boys- I see a lot of fun potential here!

@patricias- I'm looking for a fat oval rather than usual real and skinny! Like a 1.3 ratio :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! Wait... Did you actually bought the ring! It looks stunning on you. Please post more pics.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondygirl|1399177403|3665870 said:
:love: :love: :love: night picnic the beach, lights the trees, this!!!

That was quick! We need more stats on your new ring! :love:

Sayde64

Rough_Rock
That is absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations and wear it well.

I ring is a 1 carat oval. My DH walked into a jewelry store and purchased it, surprised me with it the day we got married. It was shortly after Valentines Day and this gorgeous little 1 carat D VS1 oval, in a simple 6 prong solitaire, was one of the only stones left in the store. I had never seen an oval before and would never have thought to look at one, but I absolutely love it, and have for 25 years. I cannot understand why ovals are not more popular. I truly adore mine, and yours is just breathtaking.

diamondygirl

Rough_Rock
thank you, guys!!! DH surprised us (me and our kiddos) with a getaway at a lovely resort and yesterday night, arranged for a sunset picnic. he made the whole anniversary so magical. had someone come and put lights in the trees & bushes so it was like a starry night and photographer from near home was there (wha??)...if not for one kid getting caught in the surf and being soaked, another one complaining constantly about the cold (80 degrees) and the little one saying they wanted to have a bubble bath 300x, I would have thought I had dreamed it all :lol: apparently, he remembered me showing him the picture i liked and while he seemed to have zero interest in any discussion about the ring (hence, my turning to pricescope buddies!) he was working with a jeweller to make this happen. so unbelievably sweet and so typical of DH :love:

ring deets (i couldn't pimp him about much- seemed very rude to me, but these are some rough details):

5.2 something carat center oval
side stones are half moons
platinum setting that is like the lucida tiffany setting with criss crosses

i can't see any flaws of any kind no matter what light i examined it in and i am sure it isn't perfectly clear- but truthfully, i don't want to scope and examine it that closely! i just adore him for doing this :)

here are some pics- i love the fire that one of them shows!

sideanny.jpg

anny.jpg

annyfire.jpg

diamondygirl

Rough_Rock
@sayde64 i love the story of your ring <3 so romantic and sweet! truth be told, i love my new ring- i really do. however, i don't feel about it the way i feel about my engagement ring. my e-ring was the ring he bent down on his knee and asked me to marry him with tears in his eyes and his heart in his hands. this is a special and thrilling treat, and i am so grateful/over the moon for everything!!! but i am happy i can still wear my e-ring on the daily when i'm at work =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results