shape
carat
color
clarity

Technical help needed - re: measuring for a stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Hi people...

I'm hoping there might be one or more people that can help me with this!

I have this platinum mount, that I am hoping (in the pipeline) to set a little ruby into, but am unsure how it ought to be measured?

More importantly perhaps, should it be accurately assessed by a jeweller to be really sure?

I have a loupe and a finely calibrated measuring ruler (not calipers though)and wonder if this will be accurate enough.

Does it need to be measured from the very outside corner to the opposite corner, or from side to side, or from the inner edge of the corner setting?

Just as an aside - how is a setting like this set? Is a groove or notch filed into the inner corner of the four 'prongs' to seat the stone? A fairly deep groove, to allow the stone to sit 'roundly' in the setting, and not see to much of the gallery underneath?

I've been holding onto this mount for the longest time, and have the chance now to get a ruby cut for me, but want to be sure of the sizing.

I love it to pieces, and it was a 'one off' ebay find, that I got for an absolutely fantastic price. It's about 60 years old, but brand new, having never been set, and has little single cuts on the shoulders. Just one tiny little flaw, is that one of the single cuts is set very slightly 'off' - but heck you need a loupe to see it!

All advice gratefully accepted! (eta - the picture is weeny, but the only one I have (I think) I'll check!

1.gif

PlatinumMount4.JPG

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
This may be a little blurred...

Let''s see how it loads!

1.gif

P5230846.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/26/2009 7:49:48 AM
Author:pwendyp
Hi people...

I''m hoping there might be one or more people that can help me with this!

I have this platinum mount, that I am hoping (in the pipeline) to set a little ruby into, but am unsure how it ought to be measured?

More importantly perhaps, should it be accurately assessed by a jeweller to be really sure?

I have a loupe and a finely calibrated measuring ruler (not calipers though)and wonder if this will be accurate enough.

Does it need to be measured from the very outside corner to the opposite corner, or from side to side, or from the inner edge of the corner setting?

Just as an aside - how is a setting like this set? Is a groove or notch filed into the inner corner of the four ''prongs'' to seat the stone? A fairly deep groove, to allow the stone to sit ''roundly'' in the setting, and not see to much of the gallery underneath?

I''ve been holding onto this mount for the longest time, and have the chance now to get a ruby cut for me, but want to be sure of the sizing.

I love it to pieces, and it was a ''one off'' ebay find, that I got for an absolutely fantastic price. It''s about 60 years old, but brand new, having never been set, and has little single cuts on the shoulders. Just one tiny little flaw, is that one of the single cuts is set very slightly ''off'' - but heck you need a loupe to see it!

All advice gratefully accepted! (eta - the picture is weeny, but the only one I have (I think) I''ll check!

1.gif
Can you send your mount to the cutter so they can cut to the specifications of the head? this would be my ideal way of getting a that perfectly cut stone in the setting right the first time. just a thought.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
hi D&T!

Thank you for the suggestion, an excellent one!

I had kinda thought of that, but also wondered who to send it to - that might perhaps be able to make the stone to fit, set the stone, and then send it back to me!

I have a little ruby coming, and once it''s here, will see how well it might work - I think it might be perfect, we shall see.

If this doesn''t pan out, then onto plan B, and send the whole mount somewhere to get it done ''under one roof'' so to speak.

many thanks!

1.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring. I hope the ruby fits perfectly.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/2/2009 6:34:36 AM
Author: pwendyp
hi D&T!

Thank you for the suggestion, an excellent one!

I had kinda thought of that, but also wondered who to send it to - that might perhaps be able to make the stone to fit, set the stone, and then send it back to me!

I have a little ruby coming, and once it''s here, will see how well it might work - I think it might be perfect, we shall see.

If this doesn''t pan out, then onto plan B, and send the whole mount somewhere to get it done ''under one roof'' so to speak.

many thanks!

1.gif
Hey PWendyP- Michael at http://www.gemshoppe.com/ would be able to cut a stone and set it for you! he was going to do that for me on two different occasions, but I only ended up with a cut spinel from him and finding a setting elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results