shape
carat
color
clarity

Taille Française Grande, or, The Biggest French Cut

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Despite boring RockyTalk about this for a few months, now that my treasure is in (well, on) my greedy little hands, I feel the need for a picture-heavy thread. But first, a little backstory ....

You know the phrase, "the one that got away?" Well, for the longest time, I thought this one had. I spotted it around this time last winter, admired it, and reluctantly talked myself out of it because I couldn't justify having another largish solitaire (and this one less wearable by everyday standards to boot), but I just couldn't get it out of my mind, and I felt v. sad when I saw it disappear from the window. Of course, when I wandered into the shop for an unrelated reason, I was delighted to discover it under the counter - the dealer said he'd liked looking at it so much that eventually he just put it into his line-of-sight!

And, hey, who wouldn't. It's the biggest french cut I've ever seen. (Well, IRL, anyway ... I know at least one member here has posted a delicious looking 4 1/2 carater, which I will admit to eyeballing covetously periodically.) It measures approximately 10mmX6mm, though it's hard to estimate its weight accurately ... it has some very odd proportions, being very shallow. It's estimated as being somewhere between a carat and a half and a carat and three quarters, but it looks closer to three carats (and even given the weirdness, it's got a pretty cut - a lot of contrast, but a pretty effect). And it's set in a lovely platinum Art Deco target-style setting, with a surround of calibre emerald-cut sapphire closest to the stone, and then a frame of pave single-cuts. Pretty gallery, too, for which I happen to be a sucker.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the dealer agreed to hold it for me, I sold off a nice chunk of my collection, et, voila ... my precious! More pics to follow shortly ....

1_biggest_french_cut.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It has a lot of presence on the hand: generally, I think it's going to live on my right hand ring finger, where it looks, um, imposing, but I'm including a shot of it next to my lovely anniversary ring (2.501 carats, 8.8mm in a fishtail head ... which this one manages to make modest). I was never a halo gal before, but suddenly I'm a convert ... something about the setting really draws the eye outwards.

3_3oc.jpg

4_side_by_side_2.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And, last but not least, two shots of the gallery, one from the top and one from the side, just 'cause it's purty.

Oh, P.S. - Original thread here, for those as are interested: http://www.jewels-gems-clocks-watches.com/index.php?le=F&la=E&entry=100649

And, P.P.S. - I've been calling it a french-cut, but I've also seen similar ones r(well, the two I could find) called straight-up old-mine despite the square corners, or alternately, "rectangular mixed-cut cushion," which is delightfully non-specific. If anybody's ever seen a diagram for one of these suckers with a specific tag, I would love to hear about it ....

5_gallery_0.jpg

6_gallery_0.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beauty--just love the finger coverage! :cheeky: I think it was meant to be yours all along! ::)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my Circe I am so glad you bought this and it did not get away! It is just breathtaking and such a treasure! :love: :love: :love: :love:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely ring, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

charleston1

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely stunning. :love: I have never seen a ring like it. It is so unique.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! This ring needs to be in the real life perspective thread doing something very glamorous, like putting on makeup or spraying perfume, hah. :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
L :love: VE!!!

Absolutely gorgeous!!! That center stone, I die…I love it Circe, and at the risk of sounding corny, it's as if it was made with you in mind - it looks so natural, and so perfect on your hand, like it was always meant to be there - it's a very elegant and refined piece, with a touch of glamour thrown in for good measure - a class act! :D I'm so happy you finally have the ring you've been dreaming of these past months! :appl:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DROOL!!! :shock: That's supposed to be me with my eyes popping out of my head! It is absolutely gorgeous and it goes SO well with your new French cut sapphire bracelet! Ohh la la!! :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I love how unique the diamond is, and I love that PSers "get" the beauty of unique diamonds.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
KristinTech|1388805712|3585974 said:
Beautiful! This ring needs to be in the real life perspective thread doing something very glamorous, like putting on makeup or spraying perfume, hah. :lol:

My husband didn't look at me funny AT ALL when I asked him to take some photos of me looking glam focusing on my ring. AT ALL. But I couldn't resist. ;))

P.S. - I think the fire shot shows he may have a future in this field!

_13408.jpg

2_up-do-nothing-good.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Magnificent is the best adjective that comes to mind! I LOVE this ring! :love: :love: :love:

As Yenny said, it is perfect with your sapphire bracelet and your whole collection, for that matter! It's the perfect Circe RHR! Your hair is gorgeous,too, by the way!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
charleston1|1388805263|3585970 said:
Absolutely stunning. :love: I have never seen a ring like it. It is so unique.

Charleston, that was my downfall. And I can't muster even an iota of regret over it. Thank you!

junebug17 said:
L :love: VE!!!

Absolutely gorgeous!!! That center stone, I die…I love it Circe, and at the risk of sounding corny, it's as if it was made with you in mind - it looks so natural, and so perfect on your hand, like it was always meant to be there - it's a very elegant and refined piece, with a touch of glamour thrown in for good measure - a class act! :D I'm so happy you finally have the ring you've been dreaming of these past months! :appl:

That's not corny - I think it's a lovely thing to say (it's certainly a lovely thing to hear!). I will say, I grew accustomed to it in rapid order! But it makes me feel quite flattered to think that's how you see me - I'd love to live up to the image. If we ever meet in person, I'm pulling out the samite. :D

yennyfire said:
DROOL!!! :shock: That's supposed to be me with my eyes popping out of my head! It is absolutely gorgeous and it goes SO well with your new French cut sapphire bracelet! Ohh la la!! :love:

Hee - Yenny, I swear that when I got the bracelet, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind. It's kismet. Or, at least, synchronicity ....

pregcurious said:
Wow! I love how unique the diamond is, and I love that PSers "get" the beauty of unique diamonds.

Me, too!!! Once in a while I'll read about people feeling unwelcome here for whatever their loved thing might be - anything from low colors to upscale brand-names - and I'll think, "Wait, is this some alternate-universe Pricescope?" Because it's one of things that keeps me loving this place is the diversity of opinions (concerning everything from jewels to politics), coupled with the general acceptance and support. Whenever anybody here disses somebody else's choice, inevitably, somebody else will call them on it. It is a beauteous place! And, more to the point ... thank you for seeing why I love it, and reinforcing it!

bright ice said:
That's truly a beauty!!! :love:

Thanks, Bright Ice - coming from somebody who knows and loves french cuts as much as you do, that's high praise!

diamondseeker2006 said:
Magnificent is the best adjective that comes to mind! I LOVE this ring! :love: :love: :love:

As Yenny said, it is perfect with your sapphire bracelet and your whole collection, for that matter! It's the perfect Circe RHR! Your hair is gorgeous,too, by the way!

DS, thank you! I appreciate each and every element of these compliments! Plus, now you have me thinking ... sapphires ... hair ... sapphires ... hair ... I NEED A TIARA.

Which, really, should be to everybody's benefit .... :saint:

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
Brava Circe! :appl: :appl:

I love the IRL shot of your ring with the sapphire bracelet, it looks like you could definitely pull that beauty off as one of your everyday pieces of jewelry.

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Magnifique! I adore this ring and it looks amazing on you! Love the va-va-voom modeling pics. ;))

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I like! :love: :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! Your gorgeous art deco ring indeed deserves her own thread :love:

I love the real life pics!!!! How elegant :love: It clearly shows that the ring is just perfect for everyday wear. And it makes such a lovely set with your sapphire bracelets.

Those Art Deco guys knew what they were doing with their rich, elegant and very wearable geometrical designs with rich details but never too much. It's great to admire your ring. Like like like!!!

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
Wow! That's really an amazing ring! :love: :love:

Yep... I have absolutely nothing else to say because all the drooling keeps me occupied! :lol:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad that you finally have this beauty in hand! It's such a stunning ring. And the IRL photos are the best!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, is all I can say! That is an awesome ring! I can clearly see why you had to have it. I am so glad it didn't get away. Missing that beauty would be something I would have a hard time getting over. It is gorgeous and so very perfect for you Circe! 'Meant to be' has never been more fitting! Style-wise, it is a perfect fit with your e-ring and lovely bracelet. It is so unique. Although I have seen other rings that have the calibrated sapphire halo, the cut of that stone really makes this one shine. Love love love it, Circe! So happy for you!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, it is stunning!!! And it looks flipping HUGE!! Its a beautiful stone - i'd love to see more close up pics :love:

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. you post a new piece, my mind is just blown. If I could trade with anyone on ps…

Also, I'm super jealous of your gorgeous hair!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to sound super cheesy, but when I saw the first pic, I got a lump in my throat like tears were going to happen. This ring is THAT beautiful. Not only beautiful, but rare...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results