diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous sapphire and 484, Athena! :love: :love: :love:

melz

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1379913557|3525544 said:
Melz|1379880149|3525330 said:
DS, I was told the setting size did not relate to stone size. Is the idea that a stone over 1 ct will overwhelm the smaller setting?

I am uncertain why they would tell you that. I think the base of the head is obviously going to be larger for larger stones, and the shank width matters for that reason. I can only tell you that in my earlier questioning about the 484, I was told that stones under a carat fit best in the small and stones above a carat fit better in the large. And I believe that to be true after seeing many of the rings. I suppose a 1 ct stone could go either way, but I'd want the large for anything above a carat.

Here's a picture showing you what I mean. The ring Athena just posted is the small version.
Well, it sounds like you were told what works best, and I was told what was possible without that additional information. There was an additional charge quoted of about $100 for stones over 1.18 up to 1.75. Thanks for the response and the pic, I appreciate it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are very welcome! Are you having the ring made? If so, what size stone and what metal? I love, love the 484 and may eventually set my own diamond in that setting.

melz

Shiny_Rock
I love love the 484 too. Unfortunately, I am going to have to wait a little longer than I was hoping to have it. :roll: But a girl can never be too prepared ... I'm fairly obsessive about it actually.

Your diamond is so gorgeous, I think your solitaire setting is perfect to let all the attention be on the stone. But, I'd love to see how it looks in that 484 too!

The only bump as far as I'm concerned with this setting is that I'm not sold on the matching band, and I don't know what else I'd use. Have you given thought to that?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Melz|1379965642|3525805 said:
I love love the 484 too. Unfortunately, I am going to have to wait a little longer than I was hoping to have it. :roll: But a girl can never be too prepared ... I'm fairly obsessive about it actually.

Your diamond is so gorgeous, I think your solitaire setting is perfect to let all the attention be on the stone. But, I'd love to see how it looks in that 484 too!

The only bump as far as I'm concerned with this setting is that I'm not sold on the matching band, and I don't know what else I'd use. Have you given thought to that?

I am so sorry I did not see your follow-up question. But just in case you happen to check back in, I do think a thin milgrain diamond band will work. I tried on my 2mm Legacy band with the 484 and thought they would work together. Even the plain milgrain 2mm Tiffany band might work.

Thanks for the compliment on my diamond! I do think it would be perfect in the 484 and thus far, I have not found anything I'd rather have. I may go for it in the new year.

I tried a sample of the 484 but it was unfortunately in yellow gold (with a 7mm cz). Here is a color pic and a black-and-white. Then I am posting a pic of a ring posted here with a 1.75 ct diamond and the matching wedding band. I really think the matching one is beautiful, but I already have a band I need to use.

img_2966.jpg

img_2970.jpg

_12488.jpg

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
My new-to-me platinum Van Craeynest band. I posted a WTB and a lovely PSer responded! I believe this is the 817 without stones. OMG - the longer I have it the more I love it. I couldn't be more happy, its like wearing a little secret! Here it is shown with my (moody) gray untreated tanzanite in a vintage platinum and diamond setting.

img_3660.jpg

img_3661.jpg

img_3665.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may have a new goodie to put in my old Van Craeynest setting! It's a 6mm OEC Q-R color Fingers crossed that it's a good fit!

Snuffles_Rose

Rough_Rock
Just came back from a visit to the factory in Redlands today -- it was amazing to see all of the jewelry in person. Some of those pieces are lovely, and I LOVED the airy domes and the chased details in some rings. The sales associates were also very kind, as was the jeweler in the back (Stan).

Has anyone bought any VC pieces since they've changed hands?

I was looking at Selkie's 851 set with her tsavorite ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tsavorite-and-sapphire-and-zircon-oh-my.82048/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tsavorite-and-sapphire-and-zircon-oh-my.82048/[/URL]) had really high hopes, but was a little disappointed at the way the roses turned out. Maybe Selkie's photos are really good? I dont know -- but the ring wasn't shiny -- the roses looked a little matte and weren't as defined as maybe as I imagined they would be.

I feel like the set I tried on (before VC became part of E&F) looked a little different -- it was definitely the roses. they didn't look as jagged, I think (otherwise I wouldn't have felt so enamored with them).

But I think it was only the roses in the platinum setting that looked "offish" because the other yellow gold setting had very pretty flowers (not the 451, but the 460: http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.php?page=gallery&cid=1&startRow=21&pid=21). I also loved the 469.

Anyways, it might also be my memory playing tricks on me, so if anyone has photos of 851s or has any stories to share it'd be great to hear them. And even if the 851 set didn't end up panning out in real life, I picked a couple other settings to stand in as "favorites" anyways!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jbkhere|1392053874|3611935 said:
My new-to-me platinum Van Craeynest band. I posted a WTB and a lovely PSer responded! I believe this is the 817 without stones. OMG - the longer I have it the more I love it. I couldn't be more happy, its like wearing a little secret! Here it is shown with my (moody) gray untreated tanzanite in a vintage platinum and diamond setting.

I really love this jbkhere! :love: Dang, it's pretty…and looks lovely with your tanzanite ring - it's great you were able to find one, enjoy it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jbkhere...lucky you! I guess it pays to ask!

mtg...can't wait to see it!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snuffles_Rose|1392261141|3614098 said:
Just came back from a visit to the factory in Redlands today -- it was amazing to see all of the jewelry in person. Some of those pieces are lovely, and I LOVED the airy domes and the chased details in some rings. The sales associates were also very kind, as was the jeweler in the back (Stan).

Has anyone bought any VC pieces since they've changed hands?

I was looking at Selkie's 851 set with her tsavorite ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tsavorite-and-sapphire-and-zircon-oh-my.82048/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tsavorite-and-sapphire-and-zircon-oh-my.82048/[/URL]) had really high hopes, but was a little disappointed at the way the roses turned out. Maybe Selkie's photos are really good? I dont know -- but the ring wasn't shiny -- the roses looked a little matte and weren't as defined as maybe as I imagined they would be.

I feel like the set I tried on (before VC became part of E&F) looked a little different -- it was definitely the roses. they didn't look as jagged, I think (otherwise I wouldn't have felt so enamored with them).

But I think it was only the roses in the platinum setting that looked "offish" because the other yellow gold setting had very pretty flowers (not the 451, but the 460: http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.php?page=gallery&cid=1&startRow=21&pid=21). I also loved the 469.

Anyways, it might also be my memory playing tricks on me, so if anyone has photos of 851s or has any stories to share it'd be great to hear them. And even if the 851 set didn't end up panning out in real life, I picked a couple other settings to stand in as "favorites" anyways!

Lucky you to have been able to go there and see all the pieces! I can only say that platinum that is carved like that may not be as shiny as gold and white gold. I have noticed that as I have looked at the rings mostly in pictures. Of course, we cannot compare the form of the roses without magnified pictures like Kelpie's. I guess they are all hand carved, so no two are exactly alike. If you were to order that ring, I would provide the pictures of the one you do like and tell them you are wanting the roses to be of the same general shape and quality. Obviously the platinum may not be as shiny, but hopefully they could make them like you want.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you JuneBug & DiamondSeeker! I'm so thankful for PS!! :appl:

Snuffles_Rose

Rough_Rock
Ooh, I didn't realize that Selkie's was made of white gold. I didn't know there would be a difference. I wish I said something while I was there, but I didn't want to be rude!

The store was lovely though -- I'm so glad I got to really examine all the details in real life after drooling over them on this thread! Thanks for the help, diamond seeker!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jbkhere|1392326238|3614663 said:
Thank you JuneBug & DiamondSeeker! I'm so thankful for PS!! :appl:

I am, too, seriously! We learn about things we would have never known of otherwise! That is such a pretty ring!

Snuffles_Rose said:
Ooh, I didn't realize that Selkie's was made of white gold. I didn't know there would be a difference. I wish I said something while I was there, but I didn't want to be rude!

The store was lovely though -- I'm so glad I got to really examine all the details in real life after drooling over them on this thread! Thanks for the help, diamond seeker!

You're welcome! I so wish I could see all the pieces in real life, too!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Awesome, JBK, :wavey: ;-)

Beautiful, MTG. I love most everything you put together. O/P are fantastic. (My avitar is a "P".)

SamsMom

Rough_Rock
Hi, new here.

I have a Van Craeynest wedding band that needs to be rechased. Unfortunately, VC is not taking new production orders or any refurbishing orders! Is there anyone else that can do this work? Thank you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SamsMom|1403042274|3695241 said:
Hi, new here.

I have a Van Craeynest wedding band that needs to be rechased. Unfortunately, VC is not taking new production orders or any refurbishing orders! Is there anyone else that can do this work? Thank you.

They aren't taking new production orders??? :errrr: What does that mean???

I got a quote maybe a year ago about refurbishing a ring and it was just too high to make it worthwhile, so I didn't buy the ring I was considering. But it is very sad if they aren't making new pieces.

I really have no idea of who could do the work.

chumleygirl

Shiny_Rock

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chumleygirl|1403093280|3695617 said:

Ah! I knew I had seen that post but could not find it. It's very sad indeed. I have seen so many beautiful examples here on PS of stunning VC rings...

Snuffles_Rose

Rough_Rock
That's terrible -- I visited their factory a few months ago and it was so nice to have a tour and see how the rings were made. i even got a nifty notepad with the VC logo on it!

Very sad -- was hoping to be able to buy one of their pieces after I had saved up enough. I love those dainty bands with the chased roses. I think 551.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Very sad to read this :( It was always such a pleasure corresponding with Larry. He is so amazingly talented and I hope that things work out for him.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvcarats|1403142527|3696216 said:
Very sad to read this :( It was always such a pleasure corresponding with Larry. He is so amazingly talented and I hope that things work out for him.

Maybe he'll open a bench that specializes in the upkeep of hand chased rings. A girl can dream...

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1403143688|3696223 said:
iluvcarats|1403142527|3696216 said:

Maybe he'll open a bench that specializes in the upkeep of hand chased rings. A girl can dream...

I hope your dreams come true MTG!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chumleygirl. I don't keep up with the CS forum, so I didn't see that.

Larry did not make the move when the company was bought and moved to Redlands, so he has been out of it for awhile. I did hear today that they are losing a major person in the VC team. So things look very dim indeed.

Snuffles_Rose

Rough_Rock
Oh no..... that sounds so ominous. Their work is so beautiful.

chumleygirl

Shiny_Rock
I do wonder what all the people who are lucky enough to own beautiful VC pieces will need to do for maintanence. Maybe some of the artisans/craftsmen who leave VC in it's new incarnation will be able to provide a service.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
That's very sad news. I waited too long for my earrings.

I asked Larry back in 2012 about the remote possibility of him opening a new, "smaller" operation. If I remember correctly, he said he couldn't afford to re-build from scratch all the tools and machinery necessary to do die-striking/ chasing/ carving work.

From now on, I am going to take very good care of my VC pieces, so they won't need to be repaired!

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a shame! I always figured that someday I would be able to order one of their bands. Waited too long, I guess.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mikla|1403563862|3699490 said:
What a shame! I always figured that someday I would be able to order one of their bands. Waited too long, I guess.

I really think if you are interested, you should call. It could be that some pieces are still going to be produced. Maybe it is the more complex pieces that are in jeopardy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results