shape
carat
color
clarity

Should your ring be lopsided after being resized?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cheeryrock

Rough_Rock
I just got my engagement ring. It was originally a size 6 and had to be resized to a size 4.75. It is on a cathedral setting.

I waited 3 days to get the jewelers to size my ring.

They had to take out the 4 prongs and put in 6 prongs.

Anyhow, I''m so disappointed because my ring is lopsided. One side of the band is thicker than other sides of the band. If I take it back to the jeweler, will they take out more platinum?

*sigh* I dont know what to do. Should I just settle (but we paid SO much money for it)?

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post some pics? I would say NO WAY to settling. It will always bug you!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NO. That is a sign of lazy repair work, or, alternately, a poor quality benchperson who doesn''t know what s/he is doing. To fix it, they will probably need to take off a bit more metal ... but that''s not really the main concern, right? The main concern is having a ring that, a) fits, and b) pleases you aesthetically.

P.S. - Did you want 6 prongs, or did they make that decision on their own? Because, there is no reason why a smaller ring would need more prongs - it''s not like it''s a balance issue. Seconding LMH''s pic query ....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others that a re-size shouldn''t be that noticeable and certainly not lopsided. The one exception might be if you re-size many sizes.

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
I have a cathedral and it was sized down to 5.5 and no it should not be lopsided! Bring it back

cheeryrock

Rough_Rock
Hi All! Thanks for all your help!

Yea, I think I''m going to ask the company to get me a whole new ring and resize it again...

I dont want them to take away more platinum than they should....unless they add it more metal haha

And, I also found a lot of scratches on it too!

Tell me what you guys think....

For me the right side of the ring is wider (has more metal) than the left side. Look at the top right and compare with the bottom left -- the difference is even MORE noticable!

lopsided ring.JPG

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should run back there and find out what actually happened to your ring. It''s totally unacceptable. Good luck getting it all sorted out!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
No, that''s not right. I would def take it back and have them sort it out! Please tell me you wanted them to change the prongs and they didn''t just do that themselves?

Hope it all works out ok soon.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is probably narrowed down towards the back of the finger so the top right and bottom left would have a large difference (depending on the style) anyway.

The top of the ring looks twisted, as if the left side is concaved and the right side is convexed. Maybe post in the rockytalky section and some of the jewellers would be able to comment on the problem. I don''t know if it is a case of removing more metal or does the ring have to be custom made in a smaller size. I would think if they just get another in and resize it the result will be the same - would it not? I don''t know.

I am a consumer so maybe a jeweller can answer this. I have had the same look in rings I have had sized and I have small fingers too, so I know what you are seeing in real life and I have felt unhappy about it too.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear! Definitely take it back and have them fix it, or order you a new one. As honey22 said - please tell me that you wanted it changed to 6 prongs, and they didn''t just decide to do it without consulting you?! If they changed the entire style of your ring without your consent, that''s not cool and they should change it back. There''s no reason you can''t have a 4 prong head on a smaller ring.

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
That is just a simple solitaire setting without any pave or shared prong melee -- no reason it should be having so many problems from a re-size. I would ask for a new setting in my size rather than a new setting in size 6 to be sized down. That way they won''t be adding prongs, taking away platinum, etc. Why did they add prongs? That doesn''t make sense!

Itgirl76

Shiny_Rock
I can absolutely tell the diference and if it is being resized smaller why would they even touch the top of the ring? Was there a reason they had to put 6 prongs in? (Or was that your choice?)

I would have them reorder the whole setting into your actual size rather them resizing it again.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 10:46:03 AM
Author: RxTechRN2b
That is just a simple solitaire setting without any pave or shared prong melee -- no reason it should be having so many problems from a re-size. I would ask for a new setting in my size rather than a new setting in size 6 to be sized down. That way they won''t be adding prongs, taking away platinum, etc. Why did they add prongs? That doesn''t make sense!

ditto. I don''t get why they added the prongs either
33.gif

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock

The jeweller shouldn''t even need to switch your diamond from a 4 prong to 6 prong when it''s just a simple resizing of the shank! I have almost identical setting as your ring before your re-sizing (see my avatar) and my ring was resized from 7 to 5.5... my goldsmith simply removed the head and resized the shank and put it right back (and I made sure that it''s not tilted or look twisted)... It''s kinda strange that they actually removed the original 4 prong and put 6 for your diamond... one word of advice, did you check if it''s still the same diamond as when you initially purchase the ring?

DO NOT SETTLE! You have the right to ask the jeweller to make it right for you!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go back and be polite and nice and point out the issues and ask to have them fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results