shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I lower my diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Hey ladies - do you think I should lower my diamond in my Ritani setting? The only reason I am considering it is because I need to eventually size it down (for now I have sizing beads in the ring which I am not crazy about).

3566236.jpg

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
for some reason the pictures make the prongs look even LONGER than they are...

anyway i originally wanted it to be set a bit lower but it''s going to take 6 weeks and i am being a baby about being away from it for so long since we are newly engaged.... maybe i should wait until after the wedding?

&%4243.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement!

In terms of lowering your stone... yes I really do think it's too high. It looks like the diamond is WAY above the pave bar across the setting (the seat, I think it's called?) and it looks a bit awkward. I know it's hard to have to give up your ring for a little while, but in the long term I think it would be worth it!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Ya I know what you mean - Ritani recently changed their design and I *think* they lowered the seat so now it looks akward... It looks worse from the side where you can see the space under the diamond than from the other side... Let me show you....

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
last one...

so i guess the next question is how much lower should/can i set it?

ritani set my diamond themselves so i am surprised they set it so high...

toohigh4.jpg

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
this is the old ritani setting (pic taken from another PSER) which i *thought* we were getting... as you can see the bar has 3 diamonds on mine vs. 4 on the old one. I think the larger, longer bar on the old version let the diamond be set lower... the prongs on mine look straighter
7.gif

olddesignritani.jpg

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful, but it does look a little akward, maybe lowering it will help, but if you dont it is still very beautiful.
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2008 8:09:59 PM
Author: ilovethiswebsite
this is the old ritani setting (pic taken from another PSER) which i *thought* we were getting... as you can see the bar has 3 diamonds on mine vs. 4 on the old one. I think the larger, longer bar on the old version let the diamond be set lower... the prongs on mine look straighter
7.gif
Hmmm... I don''t think it''s necessarily the bar, but rather the length of the prongs themselves holding the stone up higher.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 9:40:10 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

7.gif
Hmmm... I don''t think it''s necessarily the bar, but rather the length of the prongs themselves holding the stone up higher.
That is how it looks to me too.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 9:42:07 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 9/18/2008 9:40:10 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

7.gif
Hmmm... I don't think it's necessarily the bar, but rather the length of the prongs themselves holding the stone up higher.
That is how it looks to me too.
Ditto, but it also looks like they have made the diameter of the seat area smaller, so perhaps the diamond cannot sit too much lower? I think you should send the picture of the old one you posted and say "I want EXACTLY this please!" That other setting is better IMHO. I am a little surprised that Ritani changed the setting so much. Whom did you order it through? The new one just looks so different... when I look back and forth between the PSers pic you posted and the profile shot of your ring above it, there are a lot of small differences.

maiyavel

Shiny_Rock
I think that someone else posted about this too and their setting was changed? I''ll try to find the thread...

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2008 10:01:01 PM
Author: maiyavel
I think that someone else posted about this too and their setting was changed? I''ll try to find the thread...
I remember this being posted before as well, but I do not remember the outcome.
It does look a bit high to me...very pretty, buy a bit high.

maiyavel

Shiny_Rock
Here are the threads...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/urgent-help-needed-going-back-to-jeweler-tomorrow-morning-to-get-ring-sized-smaller.86594/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-from-recent-ritani-owners-you-wont-believe-what-ritani-is-telling-me.86804/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/shes-finally-here-my-re-made-ritani-with-a-special-one-of-a-kind-surprise.89989/

hope that helps!!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I typically don''t like settings that are really high, but yours is beautiful! I love the design of the diamonds on the basket, and I wonder if that effect wouldn''t be as dramatic if the diamond was lowered. Lovely ring just as it is!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Ya apparently they changed their setting to improve the 'integrity' of the setting... it's pretty annoying. I will probably send it back to be resized and have them set the stone lower... I don't want a whole new ring since this is the one my FI proposed with and it has sentimental value... Plus apparently they gave the other PSER hell before they changed it for her so I doubt they will give me a whole new setting without putting up a fight...

Hopefully they can lower the diamond and shorten the prongs without it looking bad.... any suggestions as to how low I should ask them to set it?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, it doesn''t even look like the same ring compared to the old PS one that you posted.

I vote lower. It looks awkward.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would probably want it lowered a bit if it were mine. I''m not really sure why Ritani modified this setting. Hopefully if there are enough customers who would like it lowered they will start making it the other way again!

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I would lower it also. I don''t quite understand why Ritani did this either. Maybe they''ll figure out a way to keep the setting safe and improve its aesthetic.

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
I vote lower, and make those prongs straight! It looks like they are like a comma... if that makes sense!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would vote yes to the lowering, if you can: I may be a low-set freak, but I like it when the basket line bisects the stone. Right now, yours is set so high that it''s almost setting atop it, and, completely aside from aesthetics, I know if it was mine, I''d be knocking it every which way! But, I''m unusually clutzy, so hopefully that''s not a problem for you. The fact that you ask suggests that it''s bugging you on some level, at least, so if it''s a possibility ... why not?

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
While I love the endless love setting, I wouldn''t not be happy with it like that IMO. I''d definitely take it in to have it lowered at least - to my untrained eye it seems like the setting is too small for that stone maybe? Either way I''d take it in.

You should love EVERYTHING about your ring!!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh, that's really such a personal thing. Some people want their diamond up high and some don't. I personally don't think it's too high at all, but I am not crazy about how much air there is between the bottom of the basket and where your finger is. But I see what you mean about how different it is from someone else's ring. It looks like they stuck the diamond so high above the basket that the prongs are really long.

Again, though...so totally a preference thing.

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous! I like high settings, but the prongs are too long on top. I would also ask them to lower it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results