shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whiskey_bluegrass

Rough_Rock
I joined this forum hoping for some advice. I recently got engaged and my boyfriend and I decided on a diamond solitaire ring. We picked out a loose round diamond. While he was getting it appraiesed, he ordered a setting from the jeweler without my input and it has been resized to fit my finger. The problem is that I really don''t like it. This setting was probably around $600, Pt 3mm with a basket for the diamond. It is very heavy and much too wide for my taste. Ideally I would like a similar knife edge setting in 2mm Pt (or white gold with Pt prongs)that sets the stone a little higher so that I can wear it with a matching 2mm knife edge wedding band.
Is there anything I can do? Can the setting be returned after alteration, or sold somehow?
Thanks-
Lisa

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
If it is too wide and just needs to be less wide, find a good local goldsmith as it is easy to file them down to the size you need. Removing metal is easy, adding too it, is not so easy, kind of like working in stone
1.gif

That in my opinion would be the best option, a new ring would be expensive, and likewise, reselling a used ring is not easy and you wont get what you paid for it back.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results