shape
carat
color
clarity

Scott Kay Pave band VS Plain -- A taste test!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Well, now that the porosity issue is resolved, I can start thinking about wedding bands. I've been wearing the plain band that matches the solitaire and love that look. But I've always loved the look of an eternity band with a solitaire. I wanted to get one that had the sparkle of a shared prong without the potential for damage to the soliatire. So, I've been talking to Bill at Pearlman's and he was kind enough to send me this beautiful Scott Kay Pave band. Bill really has been great to work with!! Anyway, the band is 2.5 mm wide with 3 point diamonds totalling 90 points. I'm just not 100% sold and I wanted to get some opinions out there. I've taken pics with the SK band, the plain band, and a channel set band I've had forever. I'm not a fan of channel set bands, but I do think they can look nice with a solitaire.

So, the taste test begins!!

ETA Please let me know if you need other angles to make up your mind.

Scott Kay band is up first:

tastetest0001_3.JPG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too love the look of a solitaire and an eternity band but in this case I am still a fan of the plain matching band! It just really makes that whole stone stand out. The pave band is pretty but would probably need to be bigger to help balance that big ''ole rock! This may not be what you want to hear but that is my honest opinion. How about doing some kind of band as a RHR? That Superbcert setting and band is so pretty - how about the pave band, then the knife edge band and then the ering? Did you try that combo?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I love the plain band; it makes your diamond just pop! The pave band is beautiful too and gives a bit of sparkle. I''m not loving the channel band so much. I would wear the plain band for an everyday look and whenever you want a bit more fire, wear the pave band!

Carrie

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i would not go with the channel -- too bulky. out of the other two -- both are beautiful!!!

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
i love the look of a solitaire with an eternity band, but im also all about matchy matchy with wedding sets. So I love how you have a knife edge band with the knife edge solitaire band.

i like the channel set band better than the pave i think because the stones are larger and look more in proportion.

35.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i really like the SK band. is it sized correctly? i think i''d like it if it fit the next to the band better. i also like the plain band- though it took me a second look to realize you had a wedding band on in that pic. my least fav. is the channel set. i would absolutely get the SK band, but then again, i am biased because that ''s the look i am looking to get. how wide is your e-ring? is it also 2.5 mm?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! Love your honest opinions!!

MGR: I did try the sandwich look, but didn''t like it much. Plus, it wasn''t very comfortable. As for making it a RHR, I already wear my shared prong wedding band on that hand, so that real estate is all bought up. So, I kind of feel like, if I can''t wear it with the solitaire, then I should return it.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2005 8:05:09 PM
Author: jcrow
i really like the SK band. is it sized correctly? i think i''d like it if it fit the next to the band better. i also like the plain band- though it took me a second look to realize you had a wedding band on in that pic. my least fav. is the channel set. i would absolutely get the SK band, but then again, i am biased because that ''s the look i am looking to get. how wide is your e-ring? is it also 2.5 mm?

When you say the SK band isn''t sized properly, do you mean it looks too big or too small on me? Yeah, I know, the plain band kind of gets lost a bit. But it''s not really meant to do anything other than show that I''m married. My husband thinks the plain band looks like a key chain (I guess because of the knife edge). Supposedly, my ering is 2.5 at the widest part and tapers down from there, but I don''t think it is 2.5. It seems thinner to me, but maybe that''s just because of the knife edge??

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2005 8:08:36 PM
Author: Demelza
Date: 11/14/2005 8:05:09 PM

Author: jcrow

When you say the SK band isn''t sized properly, do you mean it looks too big or too small on me? Yeah, I know, the plain band kind of gets lost a bit. But it''s not really meant to do anything other than show that I''m married. My husband thinks the plain band looks like a key chain (I guess because of the knife edge). Supposedly, my ering is 2.5 at the widest part and tapers down from there, but I don''t think it is 2.5. It seems thinner to me, but maybe that''s just because of the knife edge??

i mean that it doesn''t sit with the e-ring like the other bands do. i didn''t know if it was a sizing issue. my fav. would be the SK ring hands down if it would sit more flush with the e-ring. i think that i would like the plain band better if it was the same width as the e-ring= however, i know that this isn''t the issue at hand.
26.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...tough!

I guess I really prefer the classic look of the plain band with that gorgeous honker...but then I love SK band with it too...lots of help, aren''t I?
9.gif

Any way you can have them both? One for everyday and the other for "dressup"?

widget

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, let's see a pix of the shared prong ring on your right hand please! If it's been posted before I don't remember it.

I just went back and looked again - I STILL like that plain band - never thought I'd turn down bling but it is so elegant looking to me - nothing there to compete with the stone. I have looked at that Tiffany mounting on Superbcert so many times - so plain and yet so beautiful - least to me! Good luck with your decision - I feel certain that in the end you'll know which look you like the best. That's really all that counts. . .

BTW, what type of camera are you using to take your pictures?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK... I've poured over the photos... and here's my HONEST -- yet HUMBLE!
2.gif
-- 2 cents. But remember, we only have the photos to go by! PLUS everything looks different in real life, 3D technicolor ... so take it all with a large grain of salt!

My favorite is the plain matching band!!!! Is that heresy for us diamond lovers???!!!! I am SOOOO sorry, Alex, but I just LOVE it the best! It's a perfect "match" and looks so fluid, and so elegant. And makes the stone look GINORMOUS! Even without the added sparkle of the other two rings, to me, that set makes a statement of classic timelessness and exquisite taste. *YUM!*

My next favorite is the channel set. It seems to, I dunno, "follow the lines" of the e-ring better than the SK. At least from the one photo you posted! Although I like the SK ring much better (that ring is GORGEOUS!) it just seems like it spreads across your finger more than your e-ring and I was distracted by that. Like it's a bigger ring size or something. ???? Does this make any sense? Plus it (the SK) doesn't seem to follow the lines of your e-ring as well as the channel set - but again, that could be a trick of the photography.

So, bottom line, I LOVE the SK band (alone) more than the channel set (alone) (the SK just looks like a more unique, unusual, highly crafted and quality ring to me). But with the e-ring, I like the channel set better than the SK, although I love the plain band the best.

I think I may not be caring for the knife edge e-ring with the "straight" w-rings. I think I might need to see that in real life, though, because I can see how it may not look the same in person as a flat photo. But that's why I love the e-ring with the plain band... because I LOVE the look of the "identical" bands side-by-side.

SOOOOOOOOOO... my HUMBLE recommendation
2.gif
then, is this... the e-ring and simple matching band together on your left hand, letting that center stone POP with WOW-ness, and wear the SK band on your right hand for an understated, yet glorious and beautiful SPARKLE! You could also switch it with the channel set for variety, or your other (EC) RHR. BUUUUT... since you are already RHR-rich
2.gif
maybe you should just send it back? (Although if something has to go back, I'd vote for the channel set! heehee!)

Anyway... there you have it! My honest opinion. That and a dollar will buy you a coffee at McDonalds!!!

anika

Shiny_Rock
The plain band is lovely but at first glance- it looks a bit like one ring. I like a diamond band so that you can distinctly see a wedding ring. I think the pave one is better than the channel set. I think a shared prong would look gorgeous; like on the Tiffany website. What band does Tiffany do to go with the knife edge?

Anika

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jcrow- I think the SK band looks big b/c Dem is only borrowing it from Bill. I don''t think she ordered one yet in her size...Dem???

I like the SK band, plain band, but not a huge fan of the channel set band.

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
I love the plain matching band. It allows your to show off the beautiful sone and it makes your diamond look HUGE.
COngrats!!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Actually, the SK band is my size. Bill didn't have one in stock, so he was gracious enough to order one from SK for me to preview. I happen to wear a stock size 6. I doubt he would have done that had my fingers been either very small or very large. At least, I don't think so.

MGR -- I'm working on getting a pic of my shared prong with the solitaire. Unfortunately, I can't wear them together because I would worry about damage. I'll be curious to know, though, what people think.

ETA I wonder if one reason the SK doesn't look like it fits is because it's a tiny bit deeper than the solitaire???

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Duh! It just dawned on me - the shared prong band is from your original set! Of course it''s been posted before. Sorry for the brain cramp ~

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Vatche knife edge pave band might be an option - would keep the same shape going that Lynn alluded to - maybe part of the problem is that you are trying to mix a knife edge with a different shaped band.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
agree that the plain band makes the diamond pop and pop and pop and then pop some more!

peace, movie zombie

prettyinpave

Shiny_Rock
I agree -- I like the plain band best. I only like a pave wedding band with a pave e-ring (or by itself) and not with another style of ring. And for some reason, the channel set w/ e-ring looks a bit dated to me, but I can''t explain why. It could just be the picture. I agree with one of the above posters that I think I''d like a shared prong eternity ring best of all with your setting.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
hmmm, I''ll have to check into the Vatche ring. I wonder why the Tiffany solitaire looks good with the shared prong or channel set ring???

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m in the minority, but I LOVE the Scott Kay band!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I would definitely go with that in heartbeat!
30.gif
30.gif
The matching plain wedding band is of course nice, but I think it kind of fades away compared to your gorgeous, HUGE diamond. But it would be nice to have both looks depending on your mood and outfit
2.gif
hehe.

But still, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the SK band with your e-ring!

Okay, now I have to clean up my drool off my keyboard, thanks a lot Dem!!!
2.gif
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
PLAIN hands down...

i think that a 4 pronged setting like the SK doesn't work for a setting like yours. thats why i would probably never wear my w-ring with a solitaire. i haven't liked the look when i have tried it on previously, especially at WF when i tried on a bunch of various rings with my w-ring and it looked really weird.

now a shared prong like Precious Jewels I think works great with a solitaire but you'd have to make sure they fit flush so there's no potential damage.

channel set if done right (that band is way too bulky) could work.

but i still like the plain the most! keychain or not, i think it leaves all of the spotlight on your big huge stone where it should be with a set like that!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2005 8:51:05 PM
Author: Demelza
hmmm, I''ll have to check into the Vatche ring. I wonder why the Tiffany solitaire looks good with the shared prong or channel set ring???

i wonder the same thing! we are designing our ring right now. looks like the actual 6-prong tiffany setting doesn''t sit flush with a shared prong w-band. so how did it get photographed so well for the website?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok I just got home and was looking forward to seeing this all day. I have to say (don''t hate me Dem) I don''t love it with the solitaire. I like the look of the plain band much better. Maybe more pics are needed, but that''s my take on it for right now. It is a lovely band just not the perfect match for your solitaire. I am sorry as I wanted to love it.
2.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
okay, here are a few pics of the solitaire with the shared prong (but remember, it will scratch the solitaire if worn together).

tastetest0001_5.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results