shape
carat
color
clarity

Sad about my E-ring! Oval bow tie effect!!

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Purchase an e-ring over the internet without seeing the stone and the setting was the most difficult part of my engagement and probably a sad ending for me. It is my first time and first ring, i liked the ring for about two weeks until i realized how bad the bow tie effect is on my oval stone. I guess there is no happy ending for poor girls like me who has a budget, i am stuck with an imperfect ring forever. See thr pics below, you can see how obvious the bow tie is. i wish i knew better. I am sad again.

_10926.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
You may try contacting a mod and getting this moved to RockyTalky. You may get more advice there than here in Show Me The Bling.

If you are unhappy with it, and it is still possible to work with the jeweler you got it from, could you get another stone?

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Thx for the advice. i doubt if i can exchange for another stone, it is a halo setting, meaning unless i can find a stone exactly the same size. I am just really sad that it wasn't what I hoped for. And there is nothing i can do about it, no if i don't have more money to spend on it.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
i hate the bow tie so much that i stopped waring the ring just after a few weeks. The whole
process was stressful and i end up not saving much money and with an imperfect stone.

_10935.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Where did you get it? Did you purchase the stone already set in the ring? If so, and the company has a return policy, then just return the whole thing and start over. If you cannot return it, you could always try to sell it. You will probably take a loss of some kind, but it might be worth it if you could use whatever you sell it for to get a stone/ring you will love. Just my .02.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
I'm so sorry for the disappointment. My first ering had a huge CHIP on one of the side diamonds and I felt like the jewelers had taken advantage of my spouse at the time (he spent his life savings on that ring and it was not returnable)

First off, instead of focusing on negatives, is there anything that you *do* like about the ring? Do you like the setting itself, the feel on your hand, etc. I agree the diamond does have a noticeable bowtie, but you would be able to sell the center stone. It looks fairly large and the bowtie isn't particularly dark.

Some things that might be helpful to know :

-Because you have a 4 prong setting, there is a bit of "wiggle" room in terms of finding another stone. In general you can get away with something .75-1mm smaller because the jeweler can bend the prongs in (i've done some bench jewelery work and cut stones, so I'm coming from experience). It looks like the stone not sharing prongs with the halo so I believe this is feasible to play with the dimensions some

-You could go with a colored stone for a while as a replacement. An amethyst, garnet, peridot or even a topaz would look fabulous in that setting. Because it is a halo, it'll protect the stone. The ones I mentioned are relatively inexpensive especially compared to a diamond. Stones like Danburite or white sapphire look like diamond when they are cut well.

-You could sell the entire ring as "nearly new" and used all the funds for the perfect stone and set it in a simple cathedral setting.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Thank u all very much for the suggestions! I purchased the stone and the setting from EDR. I was told that this is a
Beautiful stone and when i asked if there is any bow tie effect, i was told it is very small and will not affect the looking at all. Unfortunately, i don't have any money to reinvest in the ring, and i don't know where i can sell it without taking a loss. I was told that the center stone is returnable but the setting is considered a customized ring and cannot be returned. I am to be point that i am almost "afraid" to go back to them. I don't know what to do, i feel helpless.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Lilly2013|1381870553|3538249 said:
Thank u all very much for the suggestions! I purchased the stone and the setting from EDR. I was told that this is a
Beautiful stone and when i asked if there is any bow tie effect, i was told it is very small and will not affect the looking at all. Unfortunately, i don't have any money to reinvest in the ring, and i don't know where i can sell it without taking a loss. I was told that the center stone is returnable but the setting is considered a customized ring and cannot be returned. I am to be point that i am almost "afraid" to go back to them. I don't know what to do, i feel helpless.

Then just get a new stone with the same measurements as your current stone. Do you mean ERD?

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Yes, i mean ERD. Not sure whether i can change the center stone or not. I don't have more
money to invest into the ring, i am already over budget. the ring is e color vvs2 clarity, it doesn't look that bad if not
for the bow tie. But as seen in the pics, in room light, you can see the bow tie clearly. I don't know what to do, first the prong, luckily that was a easy and quick fix, but now the center stone, i just want a perfect ring, it seems impossible. I don't wear it any more, whenever i look at it, all i can see is the bow tie and it
makes me "hate" the ring!

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
I asked, but Mark insisted that it is a small
bow tie which does not effect the ring, i don't know what to do. I am so exhausted about
the ring. I purchased over the internet to stay on budget, only if i can afford to buy locally, i would see
the stone and this might be avoid.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call ERD and explain the situation. I'm sure they will try to help you find a replacement stone. You're not stuck until someone actually tells you that. Call them now!

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
I asked, Mark insist that "there is nothing in the market that is better than this, the bow tie is between 2:30
to 3:30", i have no idea what 2:30 to 3:30 means, anyone can help me by giving
me some ideas about how bad the bow tie is!

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1381872633|3538270 said:
There are different facet patterns that reduce bow ties.
It should not be that hard to swap the stone over.
The fact that you asked about it - I am sure Mark will help you out.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
I did and this is exactly what Mark replied"This is a minimum bow tie effect. It is spread from the 2:30 position to
the 3;30 position. I don't think it will get better than this. The last
picture show this. I don't think there is anything in the market better
than this."

It does not seem they will replace it. I tell myself not to be picky, but it is the ring for life, i so wanted it to be perfect. I guess i
am stuck with it. I wish i have more money, i wish i have did more
research(although i have done a lot already), i wish i had better luck. I am just sad,
Maybe i will just leave it in the box from now on.

MissGotRocks|1381873369|3538280 said:
Call ERD and explain the situation. I'm sure they will try to help you find a replacement stone. You're not stuck until someone actually tells you that. Call them now!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lilly2013|1381873564|3538281 said:
I asked, Mark insist that "there is nothing in the market that is better than this, the bow tie is between 2:30
to 3:30", i have no idea what 2:30 to 3:30 means, anyone can help me by giving
me some ideas about how bad the bow tie is!

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1381872633|3538270 said:
There are different facet patterns that reduce bow ties.
It should not be that hard to swap the stone over.
The fact that you asked about it - I am sure Mark will help you out.
Refer Mark to this image. He can ask me for help if he wishes as I know a company that makes them.

oval_facet_patterns_on_right_avoid_bowtie.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Stop being so melodramatic. You said you can exchange the center diamond, right? So do it. Have Mark find you another one. Whining about it here and putting it away forever wont help you.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Thank u so very much! I will forward this to
Mark see if there is sth he can do. Thx again!
Refer Mark to this image. He can ask me for help if he wishes as I know a company that makes them.[/quote]

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Just just felt no way out, sorry if that bothers u. I asked Mark, but he insisted that the bow tie
is minimal and there is nothing better on the market. It is a halo setting so if ERD agrees to exchange the stone, i have to find another oval in very similar size. So far, it doesn't seem that he even
agrees on how bad the bow tie is. :(( :blackeye:

ForteKitty|1381874614|3538296 said:
Stop being so melodramatic. You said you can exchange the center diamond, right? So do it. Have Mark find you another one. Whining about it here and putting it away forever wont help you.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Are you only looking at E VVS2 and above? If you lower your clarity to VS1, you'll have more options and you wont have to put in more money.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry if people are telling you to put on your big-girl panties and deal with things to find a solution! Perhaps you simply wanted some commiseration and sympathy? What were you hoping to get from this thread?

Here is my 2c, which is in line with the big-girl panties advice already offered:

Did you ask for a return and refund? If you can, then do it. Put a colored gem in the setting, or sell just the setting. Maybe ovals are not for you. Lesson learned. It does not have to be a complete loss. Its only a complete loss if you give up.

Another solution: Return the diamond and exchange for a modern round. Sell the mount, for a loss, yes. Then use the proceeds from the sale of the mount to buy a simple solitaire for your lovely stone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1381875481|3538304 said:
Are you only looking at E VVS2 and above? If you lower your clarity to VS1, you'll have more options and you wont have to put in more money.

+1

Considering your devastated emotional state I'll try to cheer you up by seeing this cup half full.
Your E VVS2 oval is money in the bank towards another oval with lower color and clarity, but no bowtie.
Use that money to 'invest' in a better-cut oval that will fit in your setting.
I believe it will be hard but not impossible to source a suitable oval.
It may take time.

Mark at Engagement Rings Direct, you need to get your eyes checked if you said, "bow tie is very small and will not affect the looking at all."
Please make this right by this customer.
It's good for your future business now that it's on PS.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, I noticed both your photos show the diamond in E-W orientation on my screen. Is this how you noticed the bow tie? Looking at photos? Bow ties show up more easily in that orientation than in the NW orientation you see when worn. You were happy for two weeks. How did you spot the bow tie? Maybe Mark is right, maybe this is a good example of an oval?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1381876293|3538313 said:
Bow ties show up more easily in that orientation than in the NW orientation you see when worn.
How can this be?
I turned my head 90 degrees to look at her two pics and the bowtie didn't vanish.

Bowtie comes from the cut itself, not how you hold the stone.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1381876989|3538314 said:
Dreamer_D|1381876293|3538313 said:
Bow ties show up more easily in that orientation than in the NW orientation you see when worn.
How can this be?
I turned my head 90 degrees to look at her two pics and the bowtie didn't vanish.

Bowtie comes from the cut itself, not how you hold the stone.
Wrong Kenny my friend.
The bow tie comes from your head and body, so it can look worse depending on orientation.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Hi, there, i really appreciate yr help but no need to get intense, i
am already pretty sad. U offered sth good advice, just not all feasible
to me. First, mark and i apparently do not agree on how bad the bow tie is yet. Secondly, if he agrees to fully refund me
for the center stone, i cannot return the setting, meaning i have to find a oval similar in size. I am in communication with
Mark, i certainly hope there is a solution. I am not rich in any way, i don't want to sell it at a deep
discount and lose money that i worked for for nothing.
Dreamer_D|1381875724|3538307 said:
I'm sorry if people are telling you to put on your big-girl panties and deal with things to find a solution! Perhaps you simply wanted some commiseration and sympathy? What were you hoping to get from this thread?

Here is my 2c, which is in line with the big-girl panties advice already offered:

Did you ask for a return and refund? If you can, then do it. Put a colored gem in the setting, or sell just the setting. Maybe ovals are not for you. Lesson learned. It does not have to be a complete loss. Its only a complete loss if you give up.

Another solution: Return the diamond and exchange for a modern round. Sell the mount, for a loss, yes. Then use the proceeds from the sale of the mount to buy a simple solitaire for your lovely stone.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I think this is where many people go wrong, they think that a D or an E and a VVS or an Internally flawless stone is going to make them happy when really CUT rules over everything else. Return the stone. You hate, it now, you will always hate it. I am genuinely sorry for you because if a vendor told me the stone was fine and then I got it and I paid to have a setting made for it and I hated it I so would NOT be cool with that!!!!

Start widening your options, so go down in colour and clarity. Go down to an eyeclean VS1 or VS2 and go down to a F or a G. Then hopefully they can find a stone that fits into your setting. Maybe the reason they can't find you another stone is because you won't lower the colour and clarity that you expect, and they can't find another E VVS1 or VVS2 that has no bowtie?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lilly2013|1381877986|3538322 said:
Hi, there, i really appreciate yr help but no need to get intense, i
am already pretty sad. U offered sth good advice, just not all feasible
to me. First, mark and i apparently do not agree on how bad the bow tie is yet. Secondly, if he agrees to fully refund me
for the center stone, i cannot return the setting, meaning i have to find a oval similar in size. I am in communication with
Mark, i certainly hope there is a solution. I am not rich in any way, i don't want to sell it at a deep
discount and lose money that i worked for for nothing.
Dreamer_D|1381875724|3538307 said:

What are the dimensions of the stone LxW?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
30 Day Return

ERD offers a 30 Day money back guarantee on all diamonds and jewelry purchase with the exception of custom designed rings and jewelry. The 30 day return period commences from the day ERD receives the deposit for either the diamond and or the engagement ring. This 30 day examination period provides you the opportunity to review your purchase prior to the special day of your Engagement.
^ That is the ERD return policy, straight from http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/site-page/30dayreturn.html... Yes, it does say except custom-designed jewelry. You have 30 days to return the oval.

There is also
LifeTime Buyback Policy
At ERD it has been our established policy that we personally review every diamond prior to the sale and thus have full confidence that the diamond you have purchased can be returned to our inventory.
ERD will offer a 65% buy back on any diamond purchased from our company with either a GIA or AGS certificate.This policy does not apply to diamonds with colors lower than I and clarities lower than SI1. Engagement rings and all other items of jewelry are not eligible for this policy.[/quote]

So, unless you return that stone within 30 days, you will be stuck either selling it back at a loss or having to spend more to upgrade it. If you didn't act in 30 days, then you have yourself to blame. The only reason to be "afraid" of dealing with them is you already left the 30days pass and now you are at the mercy of ERD.

Lots of vendors can find you an oval to fit that setting. If you don't like dealing with ERD anymore, then return the stone, keep the setting, and go find another oval to fit it. Sometimes if you don't read the policies and thoroughly understand what the terms are, you just have to either take the loss or settle for the stone that you have, and move on. If you can't stand the ring, then dump it any way you can and just move on.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said you got the ring on 9/19 - so it's still within the 30 days. Do return it and wait for a stone you love!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results