shape
carat
color
clarity

Risky buy paid off... OEC goodness

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am thoroughly enjoying my new Aurora band but have been feeling like I also want a more traditional solitaire look to wear sometimes. A carat would be nice, I was dreaming 8)

I had a small budget from selling off most of my jewelry on DB.I decided the secondary market was the way to go, so I set out to find an old cut.

I trolled Ebay and Ruby Lane basically all the time. I learned from ForteKitty, Gypsy, Yssie, and Kelpie, reigning Ebay Queens, that you only find real deals if you take risks. Calculated risks -- only buy from a vendor with a great reputation and a good return policy, but look for vendors who have crappy photos and perhaps don't typically sell diamonds ;)).

One night I came accross a likely candidate. Crappy photos, check. Doesn't sell diamonds, check. Good reputation (seller is on ebay and has 99.8% positive feedback and 10000+ sales), check. I offered $1200 and asked for a seven day inspection period. Seller agreed.

Here is the original listing on Ruby Lane: http://www.rubylane.com/item/756653-100/Stunning-Estate-Gold-18K-Karat

Here are the photos that showed promise to me. It was a risk to buy. All I knew was the ring came from an 85 year old woman from Kentucky, it was about 3/4, and it was in an 18k gold ring. Further questions to the seller told me she could not see any white or black specs in the stone ;)) And that is all I knew!

mystery1.jpg

mystery2.jpg

mystery3.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!! Drool drool drool!! Just gorgeous Dreamer!! :love: :appl:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
And this is what showed up: 5.9mm, no inclusions evident at 10x, estimated G color. All for $1200.

OEC 023.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Dreamer!!! You did great on that one! :love: :appl: :appl: :appl: I hope I can be lucky enough to find one like that!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I love that ring as is. Very cool setting

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a great find! What setting do you plan on changing it to if you decide to keep it?

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
Boy oh boy that is such a beautiful stone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And what a crazy good deal you got :appl: :appl: :appl: I like the sweet setting and the story behind it. Congrats!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I am keeping the diamond, there is no doubt about that. I knew the moment I opened the box I would be keeping it. It is very sparkly and flashy and lovely. The high crown has a really interesting pillowy look in person that makes the diamond look so three dimensional.

It is also interesting from an historical perspective. The gemologist I spoke to today estimates it to be a later OEC, pre-WWI, likely from the turn of the last century. That is really neat provenance.

It is also extremely clean of inclusions and has no noticable chips or abrasions. And it is colorless to my eye, which is rare in an old cut.

I have no doubt I could get better optics from a cut like an AVR, but a comparable size stone would be close to $5000 if the estimate I got for color and clarity is even close to accurate, and THAT ain't gonna happen. So I am happy with this diamond! I love a good deal more than anything, so this one tickles me for sure.

My only question is whether the cut can be tweaked to brighten up the center of the stone. I have a feeling for a true old cut it is pretty good, but its something I might look into.

The setting is too small for me, which sucks! But I like it a lot, and it is only one size too small. So I will be resizing and wearing this set as is until I feel like I want a reset! I like the yellow gold a lot.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: That is gorgeous and what an awesome deal!!!!! The setting is really pretty (but I can totally see you changing it up in the near future :Up_to_something: ) Congrats on such a great find!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, congrats! :wavey:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good god is that a stunner. Congrats, what a great find!!!!! Enjoy!!!! :love: :appl: :wavey:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!!!! I just spent the last 10 minutes drooling over your OEC :appl: :appl: :appl:

Btw, you are making me really anxious to pay mine off and get it on my finger!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a beautiful diamond and I think the setting is perfect! Great find!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, amazing buy!! Aren't you so happy snagging all these lovely new pieces since selling your old stone?! And for such great prices too!

Will you look for a yellow gold wedding band to match?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results