shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring from Engagement Ring Direct, really need help!!!

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
I received the pic of my ring that I ordered from ERD, please see the pic below. I was really worried about the prongs after reading two posts here showing really large prongs on rings made by EDR, so I particularly told Mark several times to make sure the prongs are made to the proper size. Sadly, my heart dropped when I saw the pic of the ring, the prongs are really big! for your reference I post the before and after pic of another poster's ring and the link, apparently Mark fixed her ring, hopefully, he is willing to do the same thing for me! I am really upset now, it is definitely not the most expensive ring, but we saved every penny for it, and it costed us a legal and a arm, no mention that I was the only who chose ERD after doing my research here. I really really don't want to end up with the "imperfect" ring. Would you nice girls give some sugguestions? are the prongs too big?? I will call them first thing tomorrow morning and update you on the situation.

_10111.jpg

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Please offer your opinions, girls! I am so sad now, I hope they will honor their 100% satisfactory policy and fix it soon!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is gorgeously made! I indeed find the prongs a tad big. I have the feeling they can be made smaller, yet still secure and save. I hope they can find a solution for you. I guess they will. Especially since you mentioned this upfront. All the other details of the ring are just perfect. I am convinced you will wear a stunning ring in the near future. Please keep us updated. :wavey:

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
Just call Mark and explain your opinions. Show him the pics and tell him exactly what you want and he will fix it. I personally think the pic is so magnified its hard to see if the the prongs are big - but anyway its just a matter of explaining and it will be fixed!! Try to not worry too much since in the end it will be perfect. Mark is very reputable here and will ensure you are 100% satisfied! Keep us posted!

Your ring is absolutely gorgeous - please post pics when you finally have her in your hands!

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
I actually think that your prongs look more like the 'fixed' ring than the one with the 'big' prongs. Looking at a magnified picture is SO hard. You really have to wait until you receive the ring.

So that is what I'd do. Wait until you get it. If you are unhappy with the prongs, send it back. Mark will DEFINITELY change the prongs to something you'd like.

(as far as the comparison between SK, LM and VC goes...I don't think that is a fair comparison. the pics are all different distances and those jewellers are quite a bit more $$ than ERD. I'm not saying you can't expect high quality from ERD, because you will certainly get that, but it is unfair to compare it to such high end jewelers IMO).

I have a few items from ERD and have loved everything. I'm sure you will gasp with happiness when you see your ring in person!!

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest... I don't think they look big. Looks like a very delicate claw prong to me. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Its a macro picture... So its magnifying the smallest details. I wouldn't make a decision until you see the ring in person.

That said... I know ERD is known for their customer service. I'm sure Mark will be willing to help you out if need be.

The ring is beautiful!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending it back could be costly and a hassle. I would adress it directly. You indeed get a weird view if you look at magnified pics, but I have the feeling the dimension is just a bit off: when I make the pic smaller, the prongs are still very apparant. I have no experience with ERD, but based on their reputation they will be able to fix this for you.
But don't worry!! I am sure it's doable to make the prongs a bit smaller.

I picked up my VC ring last Friday. VC made the setting without the stone, so my jeweller had my stone set. To make a long story short: on the photo the prongs looked like kitten paws instead of tiger claws :shock: I adressed it immediately and they said they could fix it. That was on Thursday and on Friday I picked up the ring. The result is just like I envisioned it!! Gorgeous tiger claws. I hope you will have the same experience :wavey:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs are the only thing keeping that diamond from falling out and possibly getting lost forever. So I really don't think they look too big to me. It's a gorgeous ring!

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Exactly, that is what I did, many different angles!! the prongs are still too big. That is what got me so concerned and upset. I have mentioned this upfront several times. Hopefully, this is a easy fix!

Acinom|1379511557|3522833 said:
Sending it back could be costly and a hassle. I would adress it directly. You indeed get a weird view if you look at magnified pics, but I have the feeling the dimension is just a bit off: when I make the pic smaller, the prongs are still very apparant. I have no experience with ERD, but based on their reputation they will be able to fix this for you.

I picked up my VC ring last Friday. VC made the setting without the stone, so my jeweller had my stone set. To make a long story short: on the photo the prongs looked like kitten paws instead of tiger claws :shock: I adressed it immediately and they said they could fix it. That was on Thursday and on Friday I picked up the ring. The result is just like I envisioned it!! Gorgeous tiger claws. I hope you will have the same experience :wavey:

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Update: Ring from Engagement Ring Direct, really need help!!

Update:

I literally could not sleep last night, I wrote Mark an email as he emailed me yesterday that he will be out of town for a few days. I pointed out the prongs are too big comparing to the center stone. I did got a reply this morning, in fact, the longest reply since I have been dealing with him. He tried to explain it was due to the setting, but agreed to have it fix. Honestly, although Mark has so many years of experience, if I was given a sencond chance, I would chose Chris to make my ring. Mark likes to do things based on his experience, not have time or the patient to focus on your individual request. Chris is much better for listening your requests and accomandate your ideas. For my ring, I did not receive any CAD image, although their website says after you deposit 20%, you can have up to three CADs. Mark told me it is too expensive to do CADs, and the setting I chose has a CAD on their website. I requested CAD after I send in the full amount, but did not get any. The second thing that I was not very happy with is the metal mix. I chose platinum after Mark told me Platinum is definitely better than 18k white gold. However, what I wasn't informed or aware of is the mix of the platinum. My ring used 95/5 platinum/Ir, which actually is the softest metal, even softer than 18k and 14k gold. the 950 Platinum with 5% ir mix is the softest metal among all metals used for rings, it is not resistant to scrathces and ages the worst among all the metals although it is more expensive. EDR does offer other mix, incuding 90/10 platinum/ir, which is a much better choice as far as the hardness and resistance are concerned, and the 95/5 platinum/ru mix, which is the the hardest and used by tiffany. the 95/5 platinum/ir was used becuase it is the softest and therefore the easiest to fabricate. It is indeed not suitable for jewlery making if you want a piece to last with less dent, scratch or change in shapes. Although Mark said the 95/5 platinum/ir is an industry standard, I really wish I knew or was informed about the difference. On top of all of the above, I was told the halo coverd the GIA lase inscription of the center stone, which is also from EDR, so they cannot provide picture of the lase inscriped GIA number to verify the stone. I guess I have to trust their reputation on this one.

I just got an email from Chris as well, he informed me that they will have the craftsman work on the prongs and send me new pics today. Pray to God to make it right this time.

This is the first ring and possibly the only ring I will have, we are not rich in anyway, as every bride to be here, I wished so hard to have my dream ring, but I guess, it won't be perfect anyway, sorry for getting emotional, but I am really sad. Thanks for the nice girls who offered opinons to help me in the above posts.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
thank you very much for your kind words, MuffDog. The comparison was posted by another girl here, who ordered a round stone, halo setting ring. I was just using it for reference. I tried to turn the pic into different angels, but each time, the prongs still appears to be standing out. I did email Mark and got a rely within a day, he said he will have it modified. I am waiting them to send pics of the "fixed" ring. I can only pray that it will be closer to my dream ring.

ERD and Mark may be a good choice for engagement rings, I chose them becuase the posts I read here. Mark is working with me on the ring, which I do appreciate. I just wish the process could be a little bit better, they are more cost friendly comparing to the other jewellers, but not cheap either. I still respect Mark, and have high hope that my ring can be fixed.

MuffDog|1379509868|3522821 said:
I actually think that your prongs look more like the 'fixed' ring than the one with the 'big' prongs. Looking at a magnified picture is SO hard. You really have to wait until you receive the ring.

So that is what I'd do. Wait until you get it. If you are unhappy with the prongs, send it back. Mark will DEFINITELY change the prongs to something you'd like.

(as far as the comparison between SK, LM and VC goes...I don't think that is a fair comparison. the pics are all different distances and those jewellers are quite a bit more $$ than ERD. I'm not saying you can't expect high quality from ERD, because you will certainly get that, but it is unfair to compare it to such high end jewelers IMO).

I have a few items from ERD and have loved everything. I'm sure you will gasp with happiness when you see your ring in person!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the prongs look fine. And I think in real life they would look very good. I'd ask them to pay the return postage if you don't like it. That way it costs you nothing to see it in person. And I agree slightly linger prongs are safer for your stone.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's great that Mark and Chriss offered you a solution. Their customer service seem to be outstanding. I think you made a great choice working with them. The ring already looks stunning, but it will even look more gorgeous once they have fixed the prongs.

Try to think about this as an 'interesting experience'. You will laugh about this once you have this stunning ring on your finger. Give Mark and Chris your honest feedback and they can use your valuable feedback to further improve their customer service and customer processes.

I think it's wise that you took immediate action. Prongs do partly determine the look of your ring.

I can't wait to see the new photo. Have a good night sleep. Your ring is in the best hands. :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilly2013|1379520735|3522915 said:
Exactly, that is what I did, many different angles!! the prongs are still too big. That is what got me so concerned and upset. I have mentioned this upfront several times. Hopefully, this is a easy fix!

Acinom|1379511557|3522833 said:

Please don't be upset, Lilly! I think you will be pleasantly relieved when you see the ring IRL. I would ask ERD to send you some snapshots of your ring from a normal viewing distance. If you still feel they are too big, I'm sure it won't be a big deal for them to fix it for you. =)

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the kind word. ERD and Mark agreed to have it fixed today. I am waiting for the new pics. Hopefully it will look better and also secures the center stone. It it my first time buying an engagement ring, it is not an expensive ring, but to us, it costs us a forture. I really really wish it to be the best ring that I can have.

Please don't be upset, Lilly! I think you will be pleasantly relieved when you see the ring IRL. I would ask ERD to send you some snapshots of your ring from a normal viewing distance. If you still feel they are too big, I'm sure it won't be a big deal for them to fix it for you. =)[/quote]

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot, Acinom, for comforting me. I hope the ring will turn out to be better than it looks in the picture afther they fix it. Yes, ERD and Mark respond promotely and agreed to work on the prongs, which I do appreciate. What happened has happened, I keep telling myself to look into the future, I am keeping my hope high, and will see what the fixed ring looks like. figures crossed!

Acinom|1379524892|3522963 said:
It's great that Mark and Chriss offered you a solution. Their customer service seem to be outstanding. I think you made a great choice working with them. The ring already looks stunning, but it will even look more gorgeous once they have fixed the prongs.

Try to think about this as an 'interesting experience'. You will laugh about this once you have this stunning ring on your finger. Give Mark and Chris your honest feedback and they can use your valuable feedback to further improve their customer service and customer processes.

I think it's wise that you took immediate action. Prongs do partly determine the look of your ring.

I can't wait to see the new photo. Have a good night sleep. Your ring is in the best hands. :wavey:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try not to be upset Lilly! I'm sure ERD will take care of it - honestly, it's a gorgeous ring and I think you're going to love it when you see it in person - Hang in there and try not to worry!

badabling

Shiny_Rock
Hi lily...I'm sure the ring will be perfect when it gets to you. I know how you feel about having paid the most you ever have on an item although it might not be expensive to others and feeling like you can't demand the same type of customer service because its not as big a purchase the vendor might usually be accustomed to. I had a not so pleasant encounter with mark at ERD so I went with my gut and went to GOG which was a totally wonderful stress free experience. That is not to say that ERD is bad but I felt a little pressured to make a decision the very next day. Still I have to say Mark came off as a pretty decent guy although a little impatient. I am sure he will honor his words and fix your ring and when you do see the ring IRL it'll be much prettier and delicate.

Chin up....I'm sure your ring is beautiful.

badabling

Shiny_Rock
I just took another look at the picture and the ring looks beautiful even with those prongs (which look ok to me).

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
To badabling: Thank you so very much for the support. Mark did offer to fix it, and he passed it to Chris to handle this. Chris is very petient and knowledgable. They shortened the ring yesterday and send me a 2nd pic, honestly, to me, I could not see the difference between the two pics, but Chris was patiently enough to explain how the process was and what their shop did to the prongs. According to Chris, it is the now the best balance they can achieve between securing the center stone and make the prongs smaller. The ring is on its way to my house now. Mark did respond my calls and emails promotely, but most of the time he sited his experience rahter than discussing the design and quality with you, he will emphasis that he has many years of experience and you should just trust him. I feel I don't have the control. Anyway, I have already paid the full amount, and although the stone is returnable, the ring is not, it is not a hand forgo the ring, but somehow is still considered a customized ring, so no matter how it is, this is it. I haven't seen the actual ring yet, I can only pray for it to be better than I expected. I chose ERD becuase the posts here, I thought I did enough research, but I guess buying a ring without seeing it is a risky step and would be stressful. I will update with pics of the actual ring later. Regardless the experience, I want to be fair to ERD and Mark, and the actual ring will tell.

badabling|1379584050|3523424 said:
Hi lily...I'm sure the ring will be perfect when it gets to you. I know how you feel about having paid the most you ever have on an item although it might not be expensive to others and feeling like you can't demand the same type of customer service because its not as big a purchase the vendor might usually be accustomed to. I had a not so pleasant encounter with mark at ERD so I went with my gut and went to GOG which was a totally wonderful stress free experience. That is not to say that ERD is bad but I felt a little pressured to make a decision the very next day. Still I have to say Mark came off as a pretty decent guy although a little impatient. I am sure he will honor his words and fix your ring and when you do see the ring IRL it'll be much prettier and delicate.

Chin up....I'm sure your ring is beautiful.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying a ring that is made for you is indeed stressfull as you cannot try before you buy.

But I am convinced the ring will be beautiful as it already looked gorgeous, even with the larger prongs. You want your beautiful stone to be secure so it's actually good they did not make it too small.

I am sure you will be happy once you see the actual ring. When you look at enlarged picture it's easy to forget what the actual dimensions are.

Happy waiting Lily!

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
update I received the ring today! It did meet my expectation,
The prongs are fixed and do not bother me any more. it is only fair to say regardless of the process working with ERD and Mark, the final result is a very nicely made ring. Not to confuse future brides to be and to be faire to ERD, i will start a new post with pics of the actual ring. And many thanks to the girls above who kindly gave advice and comforted me!! You girls are so nice and friendly!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilly2013|1379617909|3523672 said:
update I received the ring today! It did meet my expectation,
The prongs are fixed and do not bother me any more. it is only fair to say regardless of the process working with ERD and Mark, the final result is a very nicely made ring. Not to confuse future brides to be and to be faire to ERD, i will start a new post with pics of the actual ring. And many thanks to the girls above who kindly gave advice and comforted me!! You girls are so nice and friendly!

Yay!!! I can't wait to see the pics, especially your handshots. I am glad it worked out so well for you. ERD solved this rather quickly for you and took you question serious. That's great customer service!!
Enjoy your ring!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results