shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Band Size vs Hand Size? Guess my carat please! :)

Kymbers

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

I've been recently engaged and would like some feedback on my engagement ring, it's a classic RB solitaire on my hand size (4.5).
After looking thoroughly in the forums and seeing these magnificent rings I'm wondering if my plain band is too thick in proportion to my hand (it is 2.5mm wide) and I'm noticing a lot of engagement rings these days with widths of 2mm or less. I know much of it is a personal preference so here goes...anyone willing to take a stab at what size my RB stone is? I'm curious as too how much the band width affects the size of the stone.

Thank you for your honesty I appreciate any feedback! :)
P.S. I apologize for the blurry crappy iPhone pics

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo.JPG

yiska

Shiny_Rock
rhbgirl24|1296770388|2842192 said:
I think it looks pretty as is! I would guess a 0.75-1.0 c on your tiny finger. :) It looks great on your hand btw.

I'd say a lot bigger than that! If I saw it in public I would guess 1.5 ct at the most. Now I really want to know haha

Kymbers

Rough_Rock
Wow based on the estimates I do feel better, the center stone is a .92 carat but it is a deeper cut so the measurements are only approx 6.1mm (closer to maybe a .8 carat) instead of 6.4mm (that's the average size for a 1 carat RB right?). I guess it really bothered me at first but it seems that the mm difference is quite subtle? I just want to be able to say I have a " 1 carat" since that was the original weight I was hoping for hehe :appl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Kymbers-I think it looks great on your hand, and with the size of the band. I would have guessed 1-1.2 carats

lokelani

Rough_Rock
Pshh, I'd rather drop 8 little points and take a BIG ol' drop in price, personally! Once you get over 1.0, it's incredible how much the cost can jump.

I also was guessing about 1.1-1.2. And I think the 2.5mm band looks great. Plus with a thinner band, you have to worry more about how well the ring will hold up to everyday wear and damage. Thicker is safer! Congratulations on your engagement and a beautiful ring! :appl:

Kymbers

Rough_Rock
Bean: What a stunning solitaire you have as your profile pic, what size is the band on it if you don't mind me asking?

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I would guess about a carat. My finger size is 4.5, and I have a 1.5, so I gauged it from that.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I guessed 1.2 ct. before I saw your post. I think it is a nice size and the band width is perfect.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going to guess .90. It's very pretty, by the way. Congratulations!

ETA: I guessed before reading the rest of the thread. Honest. :cheeky:

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
I guessed around 1.25ct, so the stone looks BIG on your tiny fingers! I think it's a beautiful diamond and a lovely ring, but then I don't like rings with thin shanks. My e-ring diamond is a .95 and I agree that this is a great option cost-wise, whilst sporting that 1ct look. Enjoy your ring!

dinamit

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I thought it was around a carat. I really don't think the band makes it look smaller.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DEfinitely was guessing OVER one carat - 1.3 or something - I think it looks great and big!!!

kristi2011

Rough_Rock
I would say .70 - 1.0. One of my girlfriends has a 1.2 and her ring size is 4.75. Her diamond is round brilliant just like yours and it looks a touch bigger than yours.

If it was me, I would go with a 2mm or smaller. for your size diamond and having petite fingers I wouldn't go larger than a 2.5mm. You have to remember once you add the wedding band it will be a lot thicker. I think the smaller it is the bigger your center stone looks. I was told that if you get a catherdal setting it actually makes the center stone appear a lot larger and more attentions is focus on the center stone. I have a 1.75 carat. Here is a picture of mine. See what you think.

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

Kymbers|1296776965|2842290 said:
Bean: What a stunning solitaire you have as your profile pic, what size is the band on it if you don't mind me asking?

Kymbers- thank you.. It's around 1.5-1.8mm. It was previously in a 3 stone on a 2.5mm -3mm band about.. The thinner the band, the bigger the diamond looks on me! LOL

ETA.. and for the record I don't think the band is too thick on yours! But if it bothers you, can you get it shaved down a bit? You have a stunning diamond, and it looks great on you!

Kymbers

Rough_Rock
kristi2011|1296798963|2842639 said:
I would say .70 - 1.0. One of my girlfriends has a 1.2 and her ring size is 4.75. Her diamond is round brilliant just like yours and it looks a touch bigger than yours.

If it was me, I would go with a 2mm or smaller. for your size diamond and having petite fingers I wouldn't go larger than a 2.5mm. You have to remember once you add the wedding band it will be a lot thicker. I think the smaller it is the bigger your center stone looks. I was told that if you get a catherdal setting it actually makes the center stone appear a lot larger and more attentions is focus on the center stone. I have a 1.75 carat. Here is a picture of mine. See what you think.

Hey Kristi,

Wow you have a stunning solitaire! I'm very tempted to go for a thinner eternity band when I get my wedding set so that it won't be as thick. I love the way your ring looks on you and its porportions, I know you posted about needing help to "bling" it out but I think it's perfect the way it is :)
What width is your current e-ring and wedding band if you don't mind me asking?

Virtuousmeg

Rough_Rock
I have to agree, your ring is within awesome proportions to your small hand size. And I'm quite happy you posted this because I've been trying to find someone with a RB that isn't a size 4 with a 2-3 carat. I'm looking for around the same size as you and I believe my ring size is a 4.5-4.75. YAY!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the setting as it is, but I prefer a little substance to my rings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was also going to guess 1.2! So it does look great on you! 2 1/2mm IS a thin band. Don't let it worry you! It is not taking away from your stone.

Kymbers

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1296875326|2843593 said:
I was also going to guess 1.2! So it does look great on you! 2 1/2mm IS a thin band. Don't let it worry you! It is not taking away from your stone.

Thank you! Would you mind sharing the stats on the engagement ring and wedding band you have on your avatar? It's an absolutely gorgeous set, I'm thinking of a similar wedding band to add some more "bling" and sparkle to it :)

kristi2011

Rough_Rock
Kymbers,

the width of my e-ring is about 1.7-1.99 mm and the wedding band is 1.9 mm. The e-ring setting, its 1.9mm on the outer and then its gets smaller as it goes towards the center diamond. I like this because it put more attention on the center stone.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I think that your ring is gorgeous and looks beautiful. It reminds me of the Cartier solitaire - really classic. I will say that I started off with a thicker (3 mm) 4-prong cathedral setting, and switched to a 2 mm TIffany setting, and my stone looks much bigger now. I think it's the combo of the thinner band & 6 prongs, but that's just me. I think a thinner setting makes my stone pop more, but my best friend has a thicker (4 mm) setting & she thinks it makes her ring look bigger. I wear a size 5 though, and she wears a 7.5, so maybe finger size makes a difference as well ...

NalaLuv

Rough_Rock
vespergirl|1297723927|2851883 said:
I think that your ring is gorgeous and looks beautiful. It reminds me of the Cartier solitaire - really classic. I will say that I started off with a thicker (3 mm) 4-prong cathedral setting, and switched to a 2 mm TIffany setting, and my stone looks much bigger now. I think it's the combo of the thinner band & 6 prongs, but that's just me. I think a thinner setting makes my stone pop more, but my best friend has a thicker (4 mm) setting & she thinks it makes her ring look bigger. I wear a size 5 though, and she wears a 7.5, so maybe finger size makes a difference as well ...

pretty! My guess is 1ct! so do we have the answer yet?

Vespergirl I love your e-ring and wedding band... do you have pix i can see and specs? hahah.. i am really interested in that same type of set. :love:

Kymbers

Rough_Rock
My ring size is 4.5 and the carat is actually .92 but my diamond has a smaller spread than it should because of the depth. I actually went and had my band shaved down to 2mm from 2.5mm, not sure if anyone can notice the difference but I like it more with a thinner band, what do you guys think?

p.s. I apologize once again for the blurry iphone pics :(

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty diamond and ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results