shape
carat
color
clarity

resetting factor

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I am thinking very seriously about setting my princess diamonds from current platinum into 14k setting. The ones I found do not have the v-prongs as in my current setting, but the point prongs. Looking at the picture I seem to think the v-prong gives an illusion of a "larger earring" (framed by the v-corners). I wonder if changing to the regular tip prong will "shrink" the appearance of my studs? Any opinion/suggestions? I appreciate it!!!

prongz.JPG

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Here contains a larger view of the prongs https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/matchy-matchy.50817/

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I really like what you have now! Why are you thinking of changing? just wondering!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
OH, because this set has screw-on backs. The thread is irritating my piercing.....

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
can they just change the back so you don''t have to reset the whole thing?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about bezel setting them? They''d be plumped up all around then!
2.gif

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I prefer prong settings. I think they are a little more classic/timeless.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure they can just change the actual post (screwback part) and not have to reset the whole thing. My friend had that done with hers because the screwbacks hurt her ears.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I would just have them change the post and not the basket part the diamod is set in. And if your ears are being irritated and the fronts are platinun you could go platinum posts as well.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I have tension backs with small prongs & the V prongs make the diamond look bigger IMO.

If I were you, I''d stay with platinum, as I have 14kt wg, and my ears completely puss up, crack & bleed if I don''t wear the plastic sheaths & back covers from Claire''s Accessories (a total pain in the booty---they make the post wider & stretched my ear out a bit).

I need to reset my earrings in platinum, but haven''t gotten around to doing it.

Who does it cheap?

jeannine

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should stick with the v prongs. Can''t they just file the threads off of the screwback? Or just replace the post?

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
It will cost me ~30 to just change the post/back to 14k tension set, and ~100 for whole setting change (to point prong smaller basket). Just wondering if it is worth it to go for a "smaller metal look" (like the rationale for martini vs regular basket in rounds).

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I personally like to see the least amount of metal -- just my way -- my mother has like everything she owns bezel set and loves it that way.
So, maybe for a change you get them re-set, in just prong tips and not Vs. You will still have the current mountings, so you can always have them reset back into their original mountings if you change your mind again.
As for the posts, I have screw backs and I have to really keep on things to avoid getting massive infections in my piercings: I have to use alcohol wipes daily and also I rub on a little Neosporin Ointment on the piercings each night (I don''t sleep in the earrings). Even though the screw backs are a pain, I think they are the safest option for me: I was very fortunate to inherit my grandmother''s 5 carat (2.5 carats each ear) diamond studs, so while they are insured I don''t want them to fall out!
If you want to keep the mountings with the V-tips but get rid of the screw backs, they can do that for you.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Headlight,
5ct for earrings? Wow, that must be impressively beautiful. Would you post a ear shot for us?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results