shape
carat
color
clarity

Real or fake wedding set on vacations

krimisha

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone

I am back with yet another query. Some ran in to few d colleagues recently at the mall. Through our convo I can to learn they were both shopping for fake wedding set to wear at the beach and on vacations. This never crossed my mind before but am starting to think it may be a good idea so not messy the original bling. So I am wondering if anyone out there think this is a good idea or already has implemented it? If so, Please show us your fake/imitation wedding set you use and tell us when you wear it.

This cod make for an interesting topic. Can't wait to see pictures

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
Nysa
I think it depends on where I am traveling and what I am going to be doing. If I am going to the beach I ALWAYS put on a fake ring. I just don't want to risk my good stuff to waves and sand. If I am traveling somewhere I feel safe or local I will defiantly wear my normal sets. Though I have traveled places alone and where I was sure my stuff would stand out and I didn't feel comfortable where it so I have several fun fakes I like to wear. it is a way for me to try different looks. I like to buy my fakes off QVC, think there quality is high and stuff looks good even after regular wear for long periods of time. I bought my first ring from them back when I got pregnant withy first child and over the summer my hands BLEW up 2 full ring sizes. I am very petite and look very young and there was no way I wasn't going to were a ring while I was BIG and pregnant.

Might be more of an answer than you were looking for

:bigsmile:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Great topic! I think a lot of people leave their nicer things at home depending on where their travel destination is, etc. Hopefully some people will chime in, but in the meantime here are some threads discussing the pros/cons. :wavey:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...elry-on-vacation-that-is-the-question.177351/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vacation-with-e-ring.103952/
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...imulant-stones-for-travel-er-or-studs.207450/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamonds-on-vacation.156095/

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have travel jewelry. it's fun pieces that I wouldn't spend real money on. Don't think we're allowed to post photos of fake stuff here.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends in part on your travel destinations.

I don't care for fake diamonds and don't feel any need to wear big bling all the time, so I just wear some of my smaller diamonds when I'm going somewhere (which includes some parts of the town I live in ;)) ) where I think my "big" ring might be too conspicuous, or where I think it might put me at risk. "Smaller diamonds" for me means one of the vintage rings I picked up while waiting for the right big ring to come along; pretty to me, but not particularly eye-catching.

For some reason this makes me think of those "My other car is a _____" license plates you used to see. Nowadays they tend to read "a fishing boat," or "a three-wheeler" or something, but when they first came out, the "other car" was always a high-priced marque. I'm picturing someone sporting a license plate holder that reads "My other diamond is a 3.03 GIA XXX F VS-1". :lol: :devil:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Usually I wear my real jewelry on vacation. Yesterday, though, we went to Herkimer, NY to mine for double terminated quartz "diamonds". I had gone as a kid and always wanted to do it again. As it turned out, it was hot and uncomfortable (a huge pile of sharp rocks), and I didn't enjoy breaking rocks. It made me appreciate miners even more than I did before. But back to the point...I feel naked without a wedding ring on and I didn't want to risk hurting even a simple band, so I wore a stainless steel fake ring (with CZs). I joked that it cost just a tiny bit more than an ice cream cone, and my husband said it made him want to cry (because he can't tell the difference), haha! I was happy to get home to my real ring. :)

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
I personally don't care for fake, plus worried might hurt my skin. I just use my original wedding band. It's big, Celtic white gold( no Nickle) stand alone ring to use at places like beach, gardening, work gloves, ect. Maybe try silver pieces as option

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always wear the real stuff, but I only wear my 5 stone, everything else stays home, I am very, very careful with my jewelry and its insured if something does happen ;-)

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I always wear my rings, that is why I pay for insurance.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1438163401|3908591 said:
I always wear my rings, that is why I pay for insurance.

Same here. I enjoy my rings and while I am always cautious/smart with them i.e. turn them around when I am on the subway for example I wear them because that is why I have them. To enjoy and wear.

dms42

Rough_Rock
Funny...I'm on vacation right now and spent the entire day in the ocean. I purposely left my big diamond ring and everyday pendant at home. Although its all insured, I didnt think it was smart to wear it- knowing the power if the water and waves. I lost 2 pairs of sunglasses in the past 36 hrs and I'm upset. Imagine if it had been my ring or necklace. I did however keep my diamond studs in. They have locking protector backs and are very secure. I came up out of the water and checked them a few times...they hadnt moved! As far as security, I tend to wear my jewelry all the time and on vacation. If I were someplace I didn't feel comfortable wearing the big stuff, I'd leave it in the safe on the ship or in the hotel. I think most people assume its fake anyway and I don't flaunt that its not. I generally take it off for 2 reasons: making meatloaf and grouting tile. :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pieces are not that particularly large or expensive and I enjoy wearing them so I do usually bring some stuff on vacation. I would only not wear them if I thought wearing them would damage or lose them. A favorite piece of jewelry went missing after being in a piece of luggage that was checked (wasn't insured : (). So if I do bring jewelry when flying I either have it in my bag or on my person when traveling.

krimisha

Rough_Rock
So good to hear from you all. Enjoying the different responses and opinions on this topic. I understand we can't post pictures of the fake ones. So how about posting pictures of the real stuff in this thread. Would LOVE to see your favorite wears and especially the rings. I will post mine again here.

Can't wait to see u all post urs. :dance: :boohoo:

_32792.jpg

_32793.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I don't have fakes specifically for travel, however, I leave my real diamond earrings at home and wear simple silver studs on vacation (like from Old Navy--their silver collection is nice), and I just wear my stacking bands on my married lady hand (my plain 2mm wedding band, an engraved 2mm band, and my petite bezel 2mm band), nothing on my right hand.

I think it really depends where you're traveling and how comfortable you are. I don't like to stand out as a tourist, and try to blend in as much as possible since DH and I usually do a lot of walking/public transport on our vacations. I also don't feel comfortable wearing a lot of jewelry on planes because of the change in pressure and trying to sleep in a weird position, the less constriction on my body, the better. For social reasons, I wouldn't want to wear diamonds in certain areas of the world (including Europe, where large diamonds aren't the norm). Also, on beach/pool vacations, I don't want to deal with sand and weird chlorine levels on my jewelry.

If most of your daily wear jewelry is diamonds, I would get a plain gold wedding band and some gold or silver studs that match your watch or other wardrobe items. You may find other places to wear those pieces, too--the gym, volunteering, etc.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a source of wonderful fakes from following Europe's royal women, some of whom wear fakes occasionally. Britain's Countess of Wessex wear them. The company is Heavenly Necklaces, and their things really are beautiful. In the past when I've gone away for a few days I've worn my fakes, but sometimes at home I just want some major bling but don't have a spare 50k lying around, and I wear my fakes. I never thought I liked fakes but these are really wonderful. I have a ring that's the equivalent of a 3 carat diamond, and it just looks so real - lots of colored fire, even. The company is British but they ship to America, and they used to take off the 20% sales tax although they stopped doing that. Some of the designs are really delicate and beautiful, very vintage. I've been converted to a fan of fakes!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always were my real stuff (it's all insured). The only exception is 3rd world travel - definitely would feel insensitive and a target. Plain band only and everything into safe deposit box.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jewelry is insured so I wouldn't worry about loss, however I would worry more about being a target - so I would not see the point in wearing faux diamonds - anyone interested in separating me from my rings might think they were real and I would rather not have to think about things like that. [case in point, I had a family member mugged in Palm Springs while walking on the hotel grounds with her husband.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it hard to wrap my head around this concept. If you can't wear your jewelry, why wear any jewelry? If youre worried it will make you a target, won't fakies?
If you don't want to wear it because your could loose it, why are you spending money on something you care so little about?

Is there some reason you have to wear jewelry to the beach?

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
I wore my wedding band and 2 carat solitaire throughout our recent honeymoon in Thailand but I left my Cartier eternity and heirloom diamond and sapphire ring at home. We went kayaking and trekking in the jungle and swimming In the sea and I was worried about scratching the sapphire and the security of the small diamonds in the eternity band if I took them along.

We were in Bangkok and other cities as well as rural locations and I never felt compromised by my rings. I did wear a ring cozy for kayaking and wished I'd worn it trekking as we were scrambling over slippery rocks at times, however luckily I didn't knock or scratch the band.

My ring is insured and I wear it all the time. I feel it is safest on my finger. I can tell you however that it is quite a job cleaning elephant snot off a ring though. We fed and washed the elephants at a camp in Koh Sok National Park and that stuff is sticky!

If I had a very delicate and fragile setting I suppose it might be different, but it's a plain solitaire on a plain platinum band. Pretty bomb-proof as rings go.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I am going somewhere that I am worried about losing/damaging my set, I will wear a simple gold band instead. For example, I went to Vegas for my bachelorette party and was so sure that I would lose my engagement ring after a few cocktails, so I left it home. If I am travelling internationally or in a place I don't know well, I also tend to leave my set home so I am less of a target. My set is insured, but I don't want to find myself in the middle of a mugging anyway.

ETA: I do wear my set most of the time. Jewels should be enjoyed!

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1438462862|3909847 said:
I find it hard to wrap my head around this concept. If you can't wear your jewelry, why wear any jewelry? If youre worried it will make you a target, won't fakies?
If you don't want to wear it because your could loose it, why are you spending money on something you care so little about?

Agree completely. I'm always perplexed when I see women wearing bling at the beach.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It just depends on where we will be.
A week at MIL's beach house, I bring and wear my regular set, which I feel comfortable leaving at her house when I go to the beach.
A week on a cruise, I bring the fake. I can leave it in the room during the day at the pool or on shore and wear the bling at night.
A long weekend away with the family, I usually will wear my own and not take it off.

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
I've worn my rings on the beach, my rings don't come off my finger without assistance and I've heard of thefts from hotel safes so I'm wary of using them except for documents and "excess" cash and cards that can be cancelled and will be covered by the bank in that scenario.

I'm not keen on sand + sun lotion + ring, but grit my teeth and bear it. Small sand scratches on the platinum band will be polished out at the annual service. My rings are insured for all scenarios and my e-ring is a simple non-standard setting so it's very replaceable visually and qualitatively, but I'd very much prefer to keep it for life!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1438462862|3909847 said:

I kinda get it. I won't leave the house without a band of some sort and earrings. If I'm at the beach or similar they are silver ball studs, around £15, and a palladium band, around £130. If they get scuffed or lost I'm not heart broken - my band is in terrible condition. I can't imagine either would make me a target in the places we travel to. Sometimes looking married and wearing a ring, any ring, on the culturely appropriate finger is incredibly important. Jewellery makes me feel dressed and a quick clean of these inexpensive pieces makes them perfect for a nice romantic holiday dinner out with DH. If we're away for a week I can't ditch the diamonds for a beach day but bring them out for opera night unless I leave them in a hotel room.

I agree with you on fakies, no point in having a large one of those to flash around if it's not a good idea to wear your real one. I don't agree on not wearing any jewellery. We all have the less expensive items and travelling is a good time to polish those up and wear them!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
real. I insure my high value pieces and I enjoy wearing them too much to leave them home. A trusted jeweler once told me, the safest place for your jewelry is on you.

yes-to what niel said.

krimisha

Rough_Rock
It is so interesting to read everyone's different point of view on this topic. I do agree that the nicest place for our jewels is wearing them. However, yes sometimes it is better to leave them off if going somewhere there is lot of activity happening (Theme parks, beach, snorkeling etc)

zxexn01

Rough_Rock
I have to agree with some of the comments about if you can't wear your jewelry why wear any. I personally will wear my jewelry where every I go. That's why I got them insured in the first place. But if I know I am going camping, kayaking, or doing any activities that can be risky, I will take it off and leave it at home. But I always wear it during vacation when I am just walking around and touring places. I feel like there's nothing to be afraid of if your careful and always know whats going on around you.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore my large fake bling when I went to New York, because I thought it would be fun to wear some serious-looking "bling" in a glamorous city like NYC. I don't like leaving jewelry in hotel safes so yes, I tend to take my fakes if I go anywhere, which isn't often.

However, I don't wear ANY jewelry on the beach or for swimming. My fakes are good ones (not cheap as far as fakes go) and are set in sterling silver and not base metal. Silver is very reactive and doesn't like sea, chlorine, etc. And while the stones may not be real, I really love the vintage designs of the pieces, so I take care of them.

I have considered getting some "pool pearls." Some seriously cheap fake pearls that I could wear on the beach, or to the local pool in summer. I'm talking Claire's Accessories. That's the only jewelry I'd wear on the beach/in the pool. Niel, you asked why anyone needs to wear jewelry on the beach. Same as off the beach - to look nice/together/glam/whatever floats your boat! I think a large pair of white pearl studs would look great with a black suit. Add a large floppy hat and I could channel Joan Collins! :D

Personally, I've found fakes to be a great option for travel or other activities mentioned in this thread. Things get lost sometimes despite your best intentions, especially in packing, unpacking, rushing around, having jetlag, etc.

ETA: I'd never wear a ring in the water. The coldness can shrink your fingers more than you think, and I have some rings I would be SO upset to lose.

krimisha

Rough_Rock
Went to water theme park the other day and noticed some women wearing the wedding sets while some didn't wear. I think I saw just 2 women wearing heavier set. Interesting stuff

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It depends where I go. We don't travel much, except to Vegas for weekend getaways from our furbabies (lol) although we've been to Mexico many time on work trips (DH hosting suppliers).

In Mexico I wear small 14K yellow gold fake diamond earrings as I'd be devastated if I lost my diamond studs. I wear a wedding band and my watch - that's it. I bring along fashion jewellery for the evening. I always think about what a good friend of ours who lives in South America told us - he said a modest diamond ring would feed a family of four for a year. They live in a gated community and feel perfectly safe when they go out but they don't flaunt it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results