shape
carat
color
clarity

Prongs - Tiff replicas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Calling all WF Classic setting owners with shaved down prongs!! I know there are some of you out there.

Hi everyone! WF is currently working on my setting for a 0.8ct stone. I (like so many other PS with great taste
) have gone for the Classic Tiff replica from WF. For some reason the prongs are still bothering me. There seems to be a lot of metal underneath the diamond between the band. I have requested to have the prongs shaved down, but I am wondering how this is done and where the metal is shaved down from. I have emailed Lesley and I know she will be right onto it (brilliant woman, paitence of a saint!), but I wanted to get some idea from you guys.

When the prongs are shaved down, is the metal taken from the prongs outside the head, or inside the head, underneath the diamond? It''''s like I want to get a spoon and scoop out some metal from inside, shorten the prongs and plop the diamond down deeped into the head?! The ''''original'''' on the Tiff''''s website seems to have a lot less metal underneath the diamond, and it''''s sits so low the bottom of the diamond almost touches the donut thingy. I would love to post a pic to help my explanation, but I am not sure how that will go

Any opinions? Ideas?

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Oooh! I think this is going to work.

Anyway, I like the look of this one, diamond sits low and seems to be less prongs underneath.

Do you think this head looks more like the narrow V head from WF, maybe that is the answer?

ER14.jpg

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to elaineh for this comparison, hope you don't mind me using your pic. Have to say thanks though for all the work you put in coming up with the design.

The real Tiffs in the middle, WF on the right, the real Tiffs just looks like less metal under the diamond? What do you think?

comp pic.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honey, first of all, I would say that the yellow gold ring you first posted does not really look like the real Tiffany setting. Secondly, that comparison picture of the 3 settings has the OLD WF Tiffany setting, not the current one! They have improved the head so that the current classic tiffany setting has less metal and looks more like the real thing. So some others have come before you and asked WF to change the setting, and they did! So you don't need to ask them to alter the setting because it has already been done. It does not look like the picture you posted above. I'll have to see if I can find a thread with the new one when I get a chance.

Here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-new-rings-wf-tiffany-knife-edge-solitaire-with-elaineh-inspired-modifications.63794/

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2008 10:26:27 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Honey, first of all, I would say that the yellow gold ring you first posted does not really look like the real Tiffany setting. Secondly, that comparison picture of the 3 settings has the OLD WF Tiffany setting, not the current one! They have improved the head so that the current classic tiffany setting has less metal and looks more like the real thing. So some others have come before you and asked WF to change the setting, and they did! So you don''t need to ask them to alter the setting because it has already been done. It does not look like the picture you posted above. I''ll have to see if I can find a thread with the new one when I get a chance.

Here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-new-rings-wf-tiffany-knife-edge-solitaire-with-elaineh-inspired-modifications.63794/
Good info!! Thank you!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
HI diamondseeker - thanks for the info, you are always one of the first with an answer, your help really is appreciated. Now that I look at the comparison pic I realise it''s the old setting. I have seen pics of the new setting, but I am still a little worried about the amount of metal underneath. I don''t know what it is about the yg pic that I posted, but I really like it, it just speaks to me. Maybe I can figure out why it''s different and try and have the ring made to look like that? I''m not really good at looking at two rings and seeing exactly why they are different - I am def not an artiste!

I really don''t know why I am obsessing over this so much and not really concentrating on anything else. Last night I ran out into the kitchen to tell SO about another ring pic I had found, crashed into the wall and broke my toe
29.gif
. Maybe I am just overthinking this? Thanks again!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bless your heart! I don''t mean to laugh, but it sounds like you are a true PSer if you were so absorbed that you broke your toe! Ouch!

I think you are overthinking.
1.gif
I wouldn''t have that ring made custom because they have it so close to perfect now. I''d just tell them to try and thin down the prongs as much as possible toward the base so it doesn''t have a lot of metal. I really do think the setting is much better now, though!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2008 11:21:30 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Bless your heart! I don''t mean to laugh, but it sounds like you are a true PSer if you were so absorbed that you broke your toe! Ouch!

I think you are overthinking.
1.gif
I wouldn''t have that ring made custom because they have it so close to perfect now. I''d just tell them to try and thin down the prongs as much as possible toward the base so it doesn''t have a lot of metal. I really do think the setting is much better now, though!
Awww! I''m blushing! But I take that as a compliment coming from an PS ''old-timer'' like you! So feel free to laugh away - I''m such a dope! My dear SO thinks I am going mad, and he actually joked (he''s joking, right?!) that if I am not happy with this damn ring that he is going to choke the life out of me with his bare hands. So you can sort of get how OCD I am being about this.

You are totally right though, Lesley knows that I want the diamond to sit lower and less metal so I am just going to let WF work their magic - I know it''s going to be perfect. But as my man says, I am not happy unless I am stressing about something.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol!!! Someday we''ll have to start a home for PSer''s who have been kicked out of their homes for jewelry insanity! At least he already knows this about you and is planning to marry you anyway!
2.gif

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
I initially bought the WF Tiffany replica and eventually had the setting changed to the SuperbCert one, becuase i didnt like the prongs...

here''s the comparison i made at the time:
LS%20ring1%20(7)%20[].jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
picture I my FI''s actualr ring to see the SC prongs:

LS%20ring1%20(4).jpg

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2008 4:45:25 PM
Author: honey22
HI diamondseeker - thanks for the info, you are always one of the first with an answer, your help really is appreciated. Now that I look at the comparison pic I realise it''s the old setting. I have seen pics of the new setting, but I am still a little worried about the amount of metal underneath. I don''t know what it is about the yg pic that I posted, but I really like it, it just speaks to me. Maybe I can figure out why it''s different and try and have the ring made to look like that? I''m not really good at looking at two rings and seeing exactly why they are different - I am def not an artiste!

I really don''t know why I am obsessing over this so much and not really concentrating on anything else. Last night I ran out into the kitchen to tell SO about another ring pic I had found, crashed into the wall and broke my toe
29.gif
. Maybe I am just overthinking this? Thanks again!

Oh no!! Toe breaks are the worst. I''ve broken mine quite a few times. Feel better!

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Sna77, your fiances ring is soooooooooooooo gorgeous!!!!!!! As for the comparison picture of the 3 settings, just wanted to mention that the WF version is the "old" version, now called the narrow v version. Just wanted to mention that because honey22 is worried about too much metal and that is exactly that the elaineh modified classic tiffany setting accomplished.
36.gif

Honey22, I know exactly what you''re going through! I obsessed like mad about the prong base of the ring (mine is the link Diamondseeker2006 posted
4.gif
). So of coarse I''m not going to say you''re crazy.
2.gif
WF is soooooooooo wonderful, express your concerns to them and they will find a way to make you happy.
1.gif

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I know it''s in the link, but here''s the best shot I have showing how much less metal is at the base of the prongs on the wf classic tiffany setting:

uprongsbasewftiffreprojenn55041.59.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results