shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong size matters...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thatgirl4h

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I''ve had my ring for a few months now and although I''m really in love with the stone (I posted it awhile ago) I''m not crazy about the setting. I know it''s the kind of thing where I''m the only one who notices, because I look at it a million times a day - but I was just wondering if anyone ever got their head changed and if jewelers can typically change the head without changing the band? Basically I want a more Tiffany-looking setting and can''t really afford any of the ones online right now...let me know if you''ve had experience with this. And I''ve attached a pic to let you know what I mean.

bigprongs 1.JPG

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
From the pics, it looks to me like the head is integrated (built into the band) and would not be able to be swapped out... I'd take it to a jeweler to be sure!

I recently had my head swapped out, but it was a peg-type head that fit into the band easily.

Buffy01

Shiny_Rock
I just recently had my head put into a new shank, and they wanted to know if I wanted a new head to put in the new shank or put the original one that was on my 2mm shank.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I have the same setting and prongs from a local jeweler and I feel the same about mine.

They did tell me they could change my prongs, but of course they made it too.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous diamond
1.gif

No, you can''t change the prongs on that setting. How long have you had it? You can always exchange it wih Blue Nile for a different one!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Are you referring to the chunky, blocky, square-ish prongs? Because if so, a skilled benchman CAN actually change those prongs, and quite significantly, in fact. The stone would need to be unset, then the prongs shaved down, and modified to be made rounder and thinner and more fluid. Once polished, the finished result can actually be quite dramatic.

I have no idea what it would cost to have that done, but it should most certainly be cheaper than replacing the whole ring. The important thing is to find a jeweler who clearly understands what you want and has the skills to accomplish it.

Obviously, you have 6 prongs, this picture is 4, but I believe that your prongs could be made to look VERY similar, and I think the difference would look lovely:

ModifiedHead1a.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Americanset on ebay sells the cheapest 14K Tiffany repro settings I''ve found, $120. I have one as a fun ring and the quality for the price is great IMHO, no porosity and the casting was well done, and it has those cute W shaped windows the Tiff repros ought to have.

If you don''t see one that would fit your stone on their auctions, email them and ask. I got one for a 2ct stone and it wasn''t listed.

I do think you could definitely get them shaved down too, though, like Lynn said.

thatgirl4h

Rough_Rock
great advice! thanks guys! i''m going to take it to a trusted jeweler and see what magic they can work...and then once the fiancee graduates from law school, i''ll start sniffing around for a setting upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results