shape
carat
color
clarity

Project -- Demantoid ring -- re-setting the ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

garnetcat

Rough_Rock
I bought this demantoid ring from an eBay seller. It has a yellowish oval cut Demantoid Garnet (1.85 ) set between two clusters of eight round cut apple-green Chinese Peridot stones (0.40 CTTW). It has inclusions (I1), but to quote the seller ''still shows beautiful light dispertion''. At the price I am paying for a 1.85 ct demantoid, I am certainly willing to accept the inclusions. I have bought several items from the seller before and loved them.

I am thinking of re-setting the ring -- because I don''t really fancy the peridots -- the color don''t match and the color is very washed-out. Digging through my drawer today, I found some forgotten stuff I have bought --- a pair of tiny but really perfect pair of matching demantoid accent stones (3mm each, .30 cttw) I bought over ebay (one of the items I did not regret buying at a great price) which sparkled like green-apple diamonds. The color of the 2 accent stones are close enough match to the main demantoid stone although not a perfect match but definitely better than those washed-out peridort stones (at least in my eyes).

I would be the first to admit that the 1.85 ct demantoid is perhaps not the best stone around both in terms of clarity and cut (the photo show exactly how the stone looks like) -- but I sort of like the stone. I don''t supposed it is too small to be re-cut to improve the stone to make it sparkle more? Or is there nothing I can do to improve the stone?

Any suggestion on how to make a new ring out of the 1.85 ct demantoid plus 2 demantoid accent? I loved those halo thing but somehow I think the demantoid stone would looked weird with diamonds? Can anyone introduce me to any online jeweller who could help me?

I am using this project to gain experience for a major project next year (thinking ahead of 2007 resolution) of creating a sapphire ring I have in mind for years but never did get around doing.

demantoidring1.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I bet you would get more responses in the colored stone section. I myself really like the setting by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results