shape
carat
color
clarity

Please post you pave halo rings...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everybody,

I''ll be receiving this stone tomorrow: http://cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1097

In case the link doesn''t work, it''s a 4.76 carat, oval, rhodochrosite (think red stone, kinda like a ruby). 11.8 x 8.6 x 6.0mm.

It''s a very sentimental purchase (my grandfather "discovered" this kind of stone and has a display in the Gems room at the Smithsonian). Anyway, this looks to be an incredible gem quality faceted piece that I would like to have set into a ring to honor him.

I''ve been warned that this is a very soft stone (a 3.5 - 4.5 on Mohs'' scale) and can be scratched very easily.

My intention is to honor my grandfather with this, and I will probably only wear it about 4 times per year as a RHR, and eventually pass it on to my children.

I''m pretty sure I''d like to go to Leon Mege for the setting. I know I''d like a white metal, pave halo style ring, as are so popular around here.

So, I''m asking for your help in please posting your pave halo rings (or any you''ve seen in catalogues, etc.), especially if they''re oval or colored gem stones (but not necessary) to help me get ideas for my setting. I need to figure out pave vs. micro pave, and what the gallery should look like (I definitely want a look that''s different from the smooth, angled look of the Ritani Endless Love gallery).

Thanks for the help. This is SO exciting!

Best,
LizzyD

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is so awesome lizzy! what a great way to honor your grandfather. very fitting! i think the stone is beautiful and will make a stunning ring (just be careful with it!)
i found many halo pieces at www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com hopefully they will give you some inspiration.
have fun designing! i will be looking forward to the finished piece!
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
this one is classic

lizzyhalo1.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

lizzyhalo2.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

lizzyhalo3.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

lizzyhalo4.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

lizzyhalo5.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

lizzyhalo6.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

lizzyhalo7.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

lizzyhalo8.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

lizzyhalo9.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

lizzyhalo10.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay....i think that''s enough for now!
37.gif

what a fun project!
36.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know about settings, but WOW that is a gorgeous stone!!!!

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
OMG, Belle, these are fantastic!! Thank you so much for the pics and the link. This exactly the style I was thinking of!

I think I''m liking the idea of a platinum bezel setting, with the pave halo and shank, but I like the look of an oval stone with an oblong shaped halo (does this make sense?). I know I like that look in a diamond ring, not so sure how it would look with a red stone surrounded my diamonds. Hmmm...

Anyway, thanks again.

And thank you too FacetFire! I''m very excited to see the stone tomorrow. I''ll try to take pics and let you know how it looks!

Thanks again,
LizzyD

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
lizzyd, what a beautiful way to honor your grandad. That will be a gorgeous ring.

Belle, where is that last pic group (halo10) from? I love that.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Belle that big ole yellow oval is so ginormous on the teeniest band ever!!!! Do you know how big that stone is and how wide the band?!
23.gif
30.gif
Lizzy I would probably bezel set that sucker in the halo.

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow, that is gorgeous!! Is it an antique? Are those 1/2 moon sides?

Where did you get the setting? Is is custom? Is it white gold or platinum? What are the dimensions of the center stone and the melee? Do I have enough questions? hee hee.

Best,
LizzyD

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Firegoddess - yes, I ''m thinking a bezel setting in the halo. But there''s a catch 22. A bezel will protect the stone from wear and tear better once it''s set, but to get it into the bezel could subject it to a lot more stress than it would encounter during the prong setting process. Prongs would be less risky to set it in, but more risky to wear.

Also, I was surprised to find out that platinum is more workable than wg. I always thought platinum was the hardest metal for jewlery, and therefore might want to use a softer metal (wg) for the setting to reduce the chances of damage to the stone during the setting process. But, I was told yesterday that platinum is actually easier to work with. Who woulda thunk...?

Anyway, I really need to figure out what size melee, and what to do for the gallery...

thoughts anyone?

Best,
LizzyD

acezarra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the compliment!
28.gif

The ring isn''t antique, I had it made by a jeweler here in Dallas (Znascko Jewelers). I spent about a year on pricescope viewing different rings and designs until I finally came up with something I loved. The people who made my dream ring come true were phenomenal to work with. The ring is platinum. The center stone is a carat and a half. The side are half moons and I believe they have a total weight of just under a half carat (about .4 if I remember correctly). The pave is about .4 as well. I am trying to find my appraisal to get it exact, but I can''t seem to locate it. I''ll look for it and get back to you. I''d be more than happy to answer any other questions you have. Thanks again and best of luck!

Ana Clare

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll say, it is sooooooooooo beautiful.

Linda

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
i''ll post a few pics of my ering....

Its a ruby with pave. I would have loved to have leon create it, but we worked with someone locally.

rringnband1.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2006 8:38:12 AM
Author: lizzyd
Firegoddess - yes, I ''m thinking a bezel setting in the halo. But there''s a catch 22. A bezel will protect the stone from wear and tear better once it''s set, but to get it into the bezel could subject it to a lot more stress than it would encounter during the prong setting process. Prongs would be less risky to set it in, but more risky to wear.
Yes..I fully appreciate your dilemma!!! This is likely something the jeweler you work with will advise you on. If they feel they can''t bezel the stone without the risk of damaging it, they may say to go for prongs. In which case you''ll have to be careful not to damage it!
2.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
What beautiful rings & a wonderful tribute to your grandfather, lizzyd.

Here''s a thought--if you''re really worried about the wear & tear on your stone in a ring, what about setting it as a pendant? It wouldn''t be banged around much that way. Just a thought.
2.gif

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
fiance is once again reunited w/ her ring.. will have to grab her finger for more photos =)
halo_ering26.jpg

halo_ering21.jpg

halo_out1.jpg

halo_out2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results