shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Attached is a picture of the wedding band. I am now looking for an engagement ring. Let me explain. A year ago, I gave the band as a '' I love you '' ring. Our love was symbolized by that very first ring and will therefore seal our wedding vows.

So now, I am desperatly seeking for an engagement setting. I need feedback + pictures. Would some of you have pictures of settings that would be appropriate for a .51 round diamond with two pear-shapped 5 x 3mm sapphires ? Almost forgot. Not tapered !! I''ve been told that if the ring is tapered, it will leave gaps between the two rings. Is that proper.

All opinions are welcome !

Thanks.

Paul

Copy of IMG_0180diamond.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
That is a gorgeous wedding band--I am a big fan of diamonds and sapphs together, so that is right up my alley!

Let me dig around and see what i can find. As far as gaps between the two rings, a lot of people may have a slight gap....the rings don''t have to sit exactly flush, it''s all your/her preference!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Okay, this is by no means perfectly what you''re looking for, but just a jumping off point. This is with a .51 center stone and sapph pear-shaped sides (took about 1 minute to put together on bluenile.com)

halfcaratwsapphs.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check out Kirk Kara''s website: www.kirkkara.com

He''s got a lot of really nice engagement rings with sapphires in them...a friend of mine just received one with baguette cut sapphires down the shank. I believe it was called the "Charlotte" design.

Good luck!

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Hi. Thanks for the Blue Nile ring. I almost bought it but, unfortunately, it is taperred. Moreover, I looked up all of the comments written by some of the people who purchased it and, one of them had find it unfortunate that, after having purchased the ring in question, he found that it was taperred. So, I backed off !

Paul

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Iceberg, I bet it would be REALLY easy to have a similar ring custom-made...it's a pretty simple design, and that way you could be certain that the shank wasn't tapered so that the bands could fit flush. (I also didn't like the way that the sapphs kind of poked out over the shank.)

Anyway, I'm willing to be that WF, DCD, BN, or any of the many great PS vendors could do what you're looking for pretty easily! I'll keep searching around though.

ETA: Check out this recent thread with a lot of sapph/diamond eye candy!!!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wanted-any-and-all-pics-of-rings-with-blue-sapphires-and-diamonds.31604/

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
I found this. What do you guys think at having the pear-shapped sapphires fit in on the triangular slope on each sides ?

Would the ring look better with less architectural design on it ? You know, less is more.

Anyhow, Ill leave it to the opinion of you all for a consensus and a majority vote as to whether it would look good for my ring.

The picture of THIS ring is simply a base from which a designer might want to work with.

I''m open to any constructive critisisims

possibility.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
PAGING ANA/VALERIA!!

Could we photoshop this T&CO baby below to see what it''d look like w/ sapphs?

T&CO.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Iceberg, I LOVE that setting you posted--I actually prefer that style to just a basic 3-stone w/ sapph pears. I think that'd be a great jumping-off point. Another good thing about it is that the head of the ring is raised enough that I'm pretty sure the shank would sit flush w/ the w-band.

Did you check out that website Firegoddess posted? There were a lot of gorgeous more "architechtural" saph/diamond styles there.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Oy, that band is to die for!
I personally would favor a cleaner looking ring to go with that classic band. The pic you posted is a bit busy for my taste.

For me, gaps are no big deal. It should be pretty easy to have a ring custom made with an even shank, have the pears and the center stone prong set so that it will sit flush, if that is important to you.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
MrsFrsk may be right....I am unfortunately a sucker for deco-antique styles and not at ALL a less-is-more PS girl!!!

but something sleek and classic would be very lovely w/ the band.

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with that band and the two different colored stones, less is definitely more. However, if you go the custom route I''m sure a merger of the two styles would be fantastic! Like adding miligraining to the band or some type of engraving etc.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The other important thing to remember is that if you add sapphires to the ering they should match the color of the sapphires in her band.
2.gif

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Well....we''re getting somewhere. The setting with less architectural design a more tone down approach would seem more appropriate.

I''ll wait ''till the beginning of next week to gather as many suggestions as possible to work with. I wish there was a gadget that would allow me to design a ring on the computer at home.

I''d love to see that setting I posted, with a tone down look and the pear-shapped sapphires. Why pears ? Because I''ve seen round sapphires with a diamond and...it did not please me. Moreover, I do need to ''marry'' the band''s sapphires to the engagement ring.

Paul

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Maybe just for inspiration's sake, check out:

http://antiqueengagementrings.com

http://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/

www.faycullen.com

I know these styles are generally way more ornate than what we're talking about, but there are a lot of more "architectural" designs, (and some that are somewhere in between that and the sleek...) PLUS a lot w/ sapphires.....just to get the wheels turning!
2.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Paul, do you have the stones already? Another look that I love would be a solitaire with the shank like the existing band- alternating sapphires and diamonds.

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Yes MrsFrk, I do already have the stones: a round .51k diamond (AGS 0, G, VS2) and two pear-shapped sapphires 5 X 3mm.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I think custom is the way to go. Should not be a problem ensuring that the rings are flush.

I absolutely adore the way you''ve gone about this, giving her the band first, as an "I love you/promise" ring. You''re a gem! (pun intended).
36.gif

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
What''s your opinion at having the ring un-taperred ?

Also, should I go for the Blue Nile example and have it custom made so that it can be un-tapered.

OR, should I take into consideration that picture I uploaded, custom made with less of a '' royal look'' to give it a more classic design with the sapphires incorporated in the slope on each side of the diamond ?

Not easy the life of man in love. She is so simple, natural, uncomplicated.....don''t want to over do it with the ring. That''s why I''m not comfortable with all this.

I wish I was an artist...maybe I''ll give it a try tonite.....patience is a virtue. I''m not planning to ask until November. Time is on my side. But I need expert opinion...especially form the ladies...although, some men have great ideas (Picasso, Leonardo, Monet were all men so.....)

Paul

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would prefer un-tapered.
A ring like the Blue Nile example would be fairly easy for a jeweler to make with stock parts. You pick the shank (how many millimeters, what metal, tapered or not) and what types of heads for the stones (basket, prong or bezel).
She will adore whatever ring you propose with, I''m sure!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Iceberg, you are so completely adorable, and I love how much thought you are putting into this wonderful ring for the gal you love.....given her own style, I think erring on the side of simplicity sounds like the way to go. Plus, it's being designed by the man SHE loves, so you can't go wrong!!!

Ok, so since I need to be put in a PS 12-step program, I've been searching around for other sapph sidestone pictures. It's amazing how hard it is to find pics of a RB center w/ pear sapph side stones! Doesn't seem like it would be. I agree that custom is the way to go since you have the stones in hand...and it will be so easy to get EXACTLY what you want, too. I also prefer UNtapered.

So I'm going to post the pictures I DID find. NONE of them is perfect, not one--but there are at least some ideas here that, combined w/ the bluenile picture, could keep you going in the right direction.

First one: Like this (more the trellis/almost x-prong setting of the stones) but with pears. Maybe Vatche has something like this? All of these I'm posting came from solomonbrothers.com.

likethiswithpears.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
This is--of course--too fancy with all the engraving/filagree, plus there may even be a slight taper. But you get the idea....more food for thought.

toofancy1.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
This one is WAYYY too fancy. Try to imagine this setting--if that''s possible--WITHOUT the melee quasi-halo going around the 3-stones. I liked this more for the width/consistency of the shank as it related to the stones.....obviously if I could photoshop that icky halo-melee-thing out of there, you''d have a better idea.

toofancy.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
This one is a little off the beaten path. Also perhaps too fancy w/ the engraving, and it''s NOT pears, so of course it''s not quite right (these are sapph baguettes) but I liked how the sidestones seemed to fit pretty sleekly into the shank. A style like this wouldn''t have any problem sitting flush w/ a w-band, which I really liked a lot.

toofancy2.jpg

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Blueroses, do your remember the club guys from Saturday Night Live? Chris Kattan and Will Ferrell?
I feel like we are flanking Iceberg, full of ideas, bumping him back and forth a la the Butabi Brothers.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I am literally laughing out loud, MrsF....that is SO APT, and SO FUNNY!!!!

Iceberg, I''m sorry!!! We don''t mean to bombard you!!!

(Or maybe we do!!)
31.gif
31.gif

roxbury.jpg

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
ROFLMAO!

Iceberg, I do hope we're helping...at least a little bit.
1.gif
I have a severely sprained ankle, so I've had a lot of computer time today.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
OTFLMAO, too funny blue!!!!!!

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Paul,

The antique engagement ring you posted as a possibility is beautiful. It is the replica of the original 1920''s Tiffany&Co ring that my e-ring was inspired by, which later inspired mrssalvo here on PS to get the replica made. Her center stone was 1ct.

My engagement ring was custom made by a local jeweler who specializes in antique and estate jewelry. My center stone is about half a carat (same as yours) and my FI was told that although the exact setting could be replicated, it wouldn''t look right with a half carat stone. Additionally, it the cost of the setting would be more than the stone!

I agree with blueroses that you should try to find a good jeweler to custom made the piece - they can add a bit of antique style and also give their opinion about the tapered/non-tapered element. Whiteflash in TX and online has made some beautiful antique style rings with remarkable etchings to give it an antique style without too much "architecture".

Good luck in your search!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results