shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics of my recently reset rings, RB and OEC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Just wanted to share some pics of my rings. Sorry the pics are so small, MS photo editor seems to allow me 103 KB (slightly too big for PS) or 13.2 KB (real small). Any suggestions? Hope you can see them.

First is my engagement ring, which is I - SI1 - eye clean 1.13 c, RB in size 5.75. As an early 5 year anniversary gift I had it reset from white gold tiffany setting into plat vatche setting. After much debate I decided on the vatche plain band for now, maybe will get an eternity band later. I love the vatche setting, but didn''t realize how hard it would be to find the right wedding band (straight band doesn''t sit flush, matching band seems to want to spin...) Overall I am thrilled with my selection. Anyway enjoy these pics.

New ring photos 006.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I also wanted to share a few pics of a family diamond. It is OEC, from about 1890, about .6 c. It has two small visible inclusions, but a lot of sparkle, and is very well cut for an OEC. It was passed on to me by my grandmother who is still living who thought I would enjoy it. It was in an antique style setting that had obviously seen a lot of wear and tear. Although I like some antique styles, this particular one was completely not me. The ring was also size 11 (!) and I am size 5.75, so was big even to fit my thumb, and it is hard to size something down that much while keeping the shank in round, evidently. I was not sure what to do because even if it could be sized I knew I would not enjoy the ring in its setting (trust me, it was not great...) but I did not want to tear apart a family heirloom. It sat in my bank for 5 years. Finally after some discussion with my mom I started shopping around for settings. I took the ring to a reputable jeweler to see if the antique setting could be rebuilt or if some elements of it could be incorporated into a new ring. He said that the setting had been badly repaired/reshanked in white gold although the setting is platinum (evidently used to be common practice). He also said that the reason the ring looked so mangled was due to a bad solder job. Lastly, the prongs were not holding the stone securely. These factors, combined with the fact that I was not that fond of the setting to begin with, led me to reset the stone and not feel too guilty about it. This was over the summer (2005).

I also considered having a pendant made, but ultimately I decided to do a ring. I wanted it to look different from my e-ring, which is a solitaire. I chose a stuller trellis setting in WG which has kind of an unusual profile, making it seem (to me) different from the typical e-ring. It has ceylon sapphire sidestones (cannot remember their weights offhand). In retrospect I sort of wish I''d gotten a platinum setting, but may switch it someday (am a big fan of the vatche 3 stone settings, but the hubby would not be too happy about more jewelry expenditure at this point!) I have always loved sapphires and the original setting had some little sapphires so I feel like in that way it incorporates some element of the original, although of course, it is much more modern.

Anyone else go through anything similar with a family piece?

I wear this as a RHR. For some reason had trouble getting hand shots to come out well, but here are a few pics on my kitchen counter.

New ring photos 021.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I lastly wanted to plug my local B&M of choice which helped me with both settings. It is Grimball Jewelers in Chapel Hill, NC. I recommend them very highly. Their attention to customer service and craftmanship couldn''t be beat. Their prices are typical B&M, but because they knew I was considering internet options, they were able to be competitive without much haggling. While I love internet shopping, there is a good feeling that comes with supporting a local family owned business as well as being able to get something set, sized, etc while I wait rather than going through the mail.

One last pic!

New ring photos 023.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Trying for a couple pics to do my e-ring justice... the blotchy thing is a reflection, not an inclusion!!

New ring photos 007.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
last photo for the evening! This one might be decent size, even!

New ring photos 010.jpg

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely upgrade! I really like the sapphires on your family heirloom, the color is GORGEOUS!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Your rings are gorgeous, especially your vatche!!
30.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, your upgrade is so pretty...I love classic settings without side diamonds! Of course, I also love settings WITH side diamonds. But I really like the width of the band with your diamond, I think it''s the perfect size, and I like the band with it as well. Your OEC diamond looks beautiful as a RHR, love the sapphire sides. Very good choices!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your upgrade, it''s just gorgeous. And the OEC is stunning, love th sapphire sides. I am a huge fan of OEC''s and have a ring my grandmother gave me as well. Thanks for sharing them with us.
1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Great choices on both of them. They turned out beautifully!
36.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the compliments! I really appreciate it! You know how it is when agonizing over different choices, its nice to hear that people liked what I chose!
Thanks again!

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Great rings! The x-prong is so beautiful and classic. And your 3-stone with the sapphires is lovely.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi Fortekitty,
I posted my best 2 pics of it at the top of the thread. What other views would you like to see, and I''ll try to take some more pics!
Gail

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2005 9:41:48 PM
Author: gailrmv
Hi Fortekitty,
I posted my best 2 pics of it at the top of the thread. What other views would you like to see, and I''ll try to take some more pics!
Gail
I''d like to see some hand pics please!!
9.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Your rings are absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing the pics with us addicts.

shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results