shape
carat
color
clarity

Photos of my new RB!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so initially I wasn't going to post a thread in SMTB for a couple of different reasons. 1. I wasn't sure that I was going to keep it and 2. because even if I did decide to keep it I was going to reset it and figured I'd just wait until then. However, since I have decided to keep it and because I'm embarking on a journey with Mike at RDG later this fall, I thought that it would be nice to post some pics and have something to compare with my upcoming reset.

Some of you may remember my 1.01ct asscher. I loved the diamond, but it never seemed to 'fit' my finger. I knew when I purchased it that it would face up smaller than many other cuts but I thought that uniqueness of the stone would out weigh size decrease. Slowly though I became dissatisfied and began thinking about upgrading. I tried on a bunch of sizes and really liked how a 7mm looked on my hand, but that translated to a 2ct asscher and out of our budget if I also wanted to work with Mike on the setting. I was also having a difficult time finding a setting that I loved that would fit an asscher, it seemed that every time I found one that I adored, it was made for an RB. So, after lots of thought I began to look for a round stone that would give me the finger coverage that I was looking for and also leave enough in the budget for a custom setting.

One of things that I loved about my asscher was the big bold flashes of color. I knew obviously that a RB would perform differently than a step cut, but I knew that if I was going to be happy with an RB that it would have to have lots of fire. So I began searching for a stone with a high crown and small table, but this proved harder than I had thought. I finally found a diamond that I was really interested in, however it was a GIA VG good. I really thought that the combination of angles could work though, but was still reluctant to move forward though without posting and asking for some 'expert' advice. So I started a new thread and was happy that DD, Yssie and Dancing Fire all pitched in and offered me their opinions. Based on their advice I decided to take a chance and order the stone. I want to be very clear here, that this was not an undertaking that I would have felt comfortable with without the guidance of some very knowledgeable and respected PS members. I personally feel that cut quality is the most important factor in a beautiful diamond and that GIA's Excellent range is quite broad, however, if someone where to be looking for a particular type cut, it may make sense to move outside of that cut grade. It happens that my particular stone didn't qualify for GIA's excellent cut grade but that it is however an AGS excellent candidate (assuming that it would be knocked for vg polish/symetry). I'm considering having it sent to AGS for grading but haven't yet investigated it to see if it's a viable option.

So, I took a chance and ordered the diamond. When I first opened the box and slid the diamond on my hand, I was beyond thrilled! I loved the way it fit my hand, it felt like putting on a favorite pair of old jeans...it just fit! But as the day wore on, I started to notice a really strange 'hole' was how I described it, in the center of my diamond at certain tilt angles and lighting environments. I began to panic thinking that it was light leakage that hadn't shown in the IS. I thought that this is what happens when you buy a VG cut instead of EX. I took photos and started yet another thread, but was quickly relieved when it was determined to be table reflection and not leakage. In the back of my mind that I couldn't get passed the report and the cut of the stone. I kept thinking that there was something wrong with my diamond, it didn't behave the way my asscher did and though I didn't expect to,but I didn't really expect it to behave quite as it was either. I should mention that this was my first large RB, I had only owned fancy cuts previously and other than under the magical jewelry store lighting I had never seen a well cut RB before. I started thinking that I had made a really big mistake, and on top of all this, I was questioning the color as well. My asscher was an I and I had always heard that RBs hid body color better than other cuts, so I had assumed that a J RB would be similar to an I asscher, but each time I had my new RB outside it seemed yellow or gray to me. Needless to say, I was not loving my new diamond...

And then the sun came out!! After almost 10 days of rain the sun came out something caught the corner of my eye and when I looked down at my ring, it was a disco ball of fire! And white! I had never seen anything like it before, it was incredible, I had to stop what I was doing and just play with it. I'm sure people thought I was crazy, but I couldn't believe that my ring had finally woken up and it was so exciting!

So, I learned a couple of things, first, I should never had tried to determine it's color on a sunny day under a tree, or outside on a gloomy rainy day. 2. RB's reflect much much differently than a step cut does. 3. I believe that each diamond has its own unique personality and while you may not like the person you met at work the other day, if you give them a chance to make another impression, you may find that they become your best friend. and 4. PSers know more than me!! Trust them!

So, I want to say a big thank you to Yssie, Dreamer and Dancing FIre for understanding what I was looking for and encouraging me to take a chance on this diamond. It took a couple of weeks, but I'm very happy that I listened.

I'll shut up now and just show you some pics. :D

edit: oops! I forgot specs! :o

1.21 GIA VG/VG/VG
J SI2
55/62.2/36/40.5
HCA .9

ring_and_camping_124.jpg

ring_and_camping_107.jpg

ring_and_camping_233.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
wow, sorry they are so huge! I don't know how to resize them!

june_012.jpg

june_020.jpg

june_021.jpg

june_022.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
and just a couple of more..

june_024.jpg

june_045.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's beautiful! I never can understand why people apologize for big pics. If it were up to me, they should all be full-page size :cheeky:

Thanks for sharing your story. Good to know how a switch from a fancy to an RB can go! And the clouds vs. sunshine.

Can't wait for your reset! And more pics!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!! Your stone has tons of fire, I love high crowns in a modern RB. :love:

I can't wait to see how you reset it, but I love the current setting too!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
It is gorgeous! I am so glad you were able to find a RB that you love! I can't wait to see how the setting with Mike turns out. :appl:

boxy

Rough_Rock
She's stunning!!!!! Congrats! Love the pic where u can see the arrows. That's amazing!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
GemFever Thank you! I guess it wasn't so much the size of the photo that startled me as it was the size of my huge hand! :lol: I agree though, I never think that anyone elses pics are too large. I like being able to see the details that make the design so unique and amazing. :love:

LailaThanks for the compliments! You really do like the current setting? I've gone back and forth so many times because I don't dislike my setting, although I really hate the prongs but I suppose thats an easy fix. It will be fun deciding what to do with it after my reset is finished. I'd love a big padaparadascha! :love:

armywife I'm very excited about the new setting. We had initially hoped to be starting the design process right away, but decided to take our time with it. I wanted to tell you though, that a suggestion that you had made in another thread has found it's way into my RDG design! :bigsmile: I can't wait to be able to share it with everyone!

boxyAww, thanks so much boxy! I had no idea how difficult it was to get arrow pics! :lol: Everyone makes it look so easy, but I must have taken 50 shots to get like 10 with arrows. Maybe it's just lucky lighting!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
How exciting! I am intrigued, I am going to have to search my old posts! I don't think anyone has ever used something I said in their setting process...I'm feeling a little giddy about it. Hehe. ;))

I definitely think you are doing the right thing taking your time with the design. This way you can enjoy the whole design process with Mike, and get an amazing ring at the end! :bigsmile:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Christina, your stone is beautiful and you take awesome pictures! I actually like your current setting quite a bit but see what you mean about the prongs. It'll look great with a colored stone!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree - the stone is very beautiful and your pictures are fabulous! So glad that you love your new stone now - RB's can be different from one minute to the next. I was advised by someone years ago to only determine the true color and flavor of them outdoors on a bright day. I think there's a lot of truth to that.

Enjoy - I can't wait to see your new setting!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I have been following your journey on here and am very happy for you that you love your new stone. It looks amazing in your photos and the setting it's in now is very sparkly and well suited to the diamond. I hope you're enjoying wearing it and can't wait to see the custom setting you choose next fall. :wavey:

jacy

Shiny_Rock
It's a stunning stone, and I really like the setting as well. I'm happy for you that you have finally found the one! Your story is a good example of how it pays to give a new diamond a little time and view it in all kinds of lighting conditions. I look forward to your next photo shoot with the new setting!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
armywife I wish I could tell you but I'm keeping it all under wraps for right now. ;)) When I get the final design maybe I can find a way to sneak it to you. =)

aleneThanks for the compliments! I've gotten so used to seeing all the tiny perfect prong work here on PS and everything else looks big and bulky to me. I don't really consider myself a fussy PSer, but the prongs on this thing... :-o

MGR Thank you! I'm happy that I didn't give up on her. It's funny how when I look at the diamond on a rainy day now, it doesn't seem to be nearly as dark and grey as I had imagined when I first got it. It's funny too, when we purchased the asscher, I was immediately in love it, but it took some time to grow on DH, but he ended up being more attached to it than I was. In the end it was a good learning experience, and it's a good thing that JA has such a generous return policy or I would have packed it up and sent it back the first week!

TrialnError Sure! I purchase it through JA and it's their .32 french cut pave setting. I was initially concerned that the pave work may not be quality enough to ensure that I wasn't replacing stones all the time, but I've had this setting for 18 months and I haven't had a single problem. I try to be careful, but I'm a bad PSer and I've forgotten to remove it and have slept with, and showered with it on. I've gotten it caught on the basket of the washing machine, it went camping with me one week because I forgot to remove it. So, it's been through some stuff and still looks as good today as the day I got it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the prongs, but thats just me. I know that JA will file them a bit if you ask, but since I'm changing the setting soon I decided to wait.

woofmama Awww Thank you! I really am enjoying it...maybe too much. I'm sure that everyone around me is getting sick of listening to me jabber about the stone and the new setting, but since this is the last one for a long time, I intend to thoroughly enjoy it! :lol: It's a beautiful sunny day, so I just might go and take more pictures too! :bigsmile:

jacy Thank you Jacy! In the end it was a really good learning experience for me. I felt bad because I had contacted different vendors explaining my situation and asking them to help me find a new stone, and then when they did, I had to tell them all that I had made a really big mistake and that I had fallen in love with the ugly diamond after all. :lol: And I can't wait to share my new setting with everyone! It's so hard to wait!!!! =)

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
No worries, Christina! I am just excited for you(and a little nosey). ;))

Have fun with Mike! I am totally jealous, one day I hope to have the chance to work with him....until then I will live vicariously through you and other PSers. Haha.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! I'm so glad you love the stone...it is truly beautiful. Your pics are great too.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
armywife13|1340987839|3225972 said:

Have fun with Mike! I am totally jealous, one day I hope to have the chance to work with him....until then I will live vicariously through you and other PSers. Haha.

Yes, I'm sure living with a 3.5ct OEC is a struggle!! :lol: Come to think of it, I haven't heard any updates recently...did I miss something? Do you have it finally?? :naughty:

I can't tell you how badly I want to post my ideas for the setting. DS has been working with me outside of PS helping me keep it all under wraps until the big reveal. Sadly it looks like I'll be waiting until Thanksgiving or so. :cry: But I can't say it's not worth it. ;))

SparklyOEC Thanks so much, that's very nice of you! :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina, I think you did an excellent job choosing your stone! You are right that Yssie can really help people find the great stones that may fall outside of the typical ideal cut specs! Your diamond is gorgeous :love: and I am so excited about your setting plans! :appl:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1340994251|3226065 said:
armywife13|1340987839|3225972 said:

Yes, I'm sure living with a 3.5ct OEC is a struggle!! :lol: Come to think of it, I haven't heard any updates recently...did I miss something? Do you have it finally?? :naughty:

I can't tell you how badly I want to post my ideas for the setting. DS has been working with me outside of PS helping me keep it all under wraps until the big reveal. Sadly it looks like I'll be waiting until Thanksgiving or so. :cry: But I can't say it's not worth it. ;))

SparklyOEC Thanks so much, that's very nice of you! :))

I am impatiently waiting for August to roll around, then I will have it! :bigsmile: my avatar is one of the pictures of it that Erica took for me. :love:

I am glad you have someone to be in cahoots with during the setting process. It is nice to have someone to talk to about it and get excited with-after all hunsbands can only take so much before they go nuts. ;))

I feel you on having to wait for the ring. Between my diamond and setting, I have been working on this for about 9 months and still have 2 more to go! My theory is that all good things are worth the wait, and I am sure your beauty will be too. :))

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
What a fantastic stone! It looks so white and definitely has arrows! I can't wait to see how you end up setting it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful Christina!!! Love it! :love:

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
It's soooo gorgeous, Christina! :love: :love: :love: All your hard work definitely paid off. So glad to get a peek of it. I've been keeping my eye out for this thread :Up_to_something:

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Christina - did you just purchase another one? I knew you had the asscher, then I know you got a RB, so this must be a new one! :appl:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker I just can't say thank you to you enough! I'm so excited to have you helping me with the setting part of my journey, I really couldn't have hoped for anyone more wonderful! I haven't sent you an email but Mike accepted the fall start date and JM will cover the shipping to and from Mike, so it appears nothing is holding me back! :bigsmile: I'm so looking forward to continuing to use you as my consulting partner! :lol: And thank you for the kind words about the stone. Yssie really can pick them out, but I hope that I was clear enough that it wasn't a process that I would have felt comfortable with had I not had the guidance of Yssie and some other PSers.

armywife I wondered about your avatar, but I couldn't find a thread so I was afraid that I had missed it somehow. Wow, August is't so far away! I'm going to be impatiently waiting with you! Your so right about how nice it has been to have someone to bounce thoughts off from and DS has been perfectly wonderful! It's been so helpful to have someone to point out aspects of the project that I hadn't considered. Not to mention that I think that her taste are impeccable, so when she gave me the nod, I was more than confident to move forward. So, I'm not only impatiently waiting for yours, but for mine too. *sigh*

stargurl Thanks so much! :)) I'm dying to share the details as I know them, and I'm very impatiently counting the days until I can begin to post something...anything! PSer will definitely be the first to see!!

Thanks Missy! that's super of nice of you to say! =)

snicklefritz Awww thank you! I was really going to wait, since it was only the stone that was new, but a few PSer had asked me about my progress, and so many of you have helped me along my journey that I felt I wasn't being a good PSer to not a least post a few pictures. Everyone has been so wonderfully supportive and it's meant so much, I certainly couldn't have done it without any of you! =)

chloecro I'm following your journey as well, and I can't wait to see your future SMTB thread! I know that it's going to be wonderful! I actually thought of you today and am going to head over to check the progress of your current thread!

Titan :lol: This is actually the same RB that I purchase a month ago. I'm just a very bad PSer and didn't post pics right after I got her. :loopy: It took me a little longer than usual to fall in love with her, but now that I have, I'm ready to show the world! :bigsmile:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Christina, I will definitely be anxiously waiting for your masterpiece as well! We just need fall/winter to get here already, then we can both have our rings. :bigsmile:

I am sure you will not need to since DS has amazeballs taste in jewelry, but if you need another set of ears/eyes to blabber to, let me know. Otherwise, I will patiently wait full of excitement until this fall. :))

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
It is beautiful, I look forward to seeing pics of your reset. :love:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina.. it's lovely.. and looks great on your hand!!! Enjoy!!!

Nice flower shots!!! I love those!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results