shape
carat
color
clarity

People are giving me grief about my reset.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Fair enough, and a good point. :) It''s too late now, but yes, the less is more policy is definitely worth a second look, LOL.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a mom saying, honey, do what you want, especially if your hubby says yes, but I am a bit concerned because I am sure it is not inexpensive and times are hard right now.

You can then reassure her you have budgeted for this and all is fine.

Parental concern is normal, and her generation is likely one that did not even consider resetting a ring or upgrading except in rare cases. Therefore it makes sense that she might voice a concern or have a different viewpoint.

My larger point is that when you decide things, you and hubby, and they involve spending money etc, many people will have a view and want to weigh in. If you simply go about your business for the most part, you avoid a lot of those conversations...and can just present your choices as a done deal.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Good lord. Don''t even worry about what your mom and your MIL say about your life decisions. In fact, if I were you I wouldn''t even tell them about it. Do you talk to them when you want to spend $500 on a new water heater for your house? Probably not. Your ring symbolizes your relationship with your hubby, and it''s nobody else''s business what you do with it. And just because your mom wore a ring she didn''t like for 15 years (when she probably could have just spoken up about it) doesn''t mean that you have to do the same.

I wonder what your moms will say in a few years if PS gives you DSS and you decide to upgrade your diamond?! Heehee...
27.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 9:20:50 PM
Author: diamondfan
=

My larger point is that when you decide things, you and hubby, and they involve spending money etc, many people will have a view and want to weigh in. If you simply go about your business for the most part, you avoid a lot of those conversations...and can just present your choices as a done deal.

I hear you. I agree. It''s sound advice.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
tberube - LOL. I truly hope DSS doesn't set in for a long, long time.
3.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
I think a mom saying, honey, do what you want, especially if your hubby says yes, but I am a bit concerned because I am sure it is not inexpensive and times are hard right now.

Parental concern is normal, and her generation is likely one that did not even consider resetting a ring or upgrading except in rare cases. Therefore it makes sense that she might voice a concern or have a different viewpoint.

This is really good advice DiamondFan. I especially like the part about presenting the decision as a done deal after the fact. That''s a lesson well learned, and the earlier the better IMO.

GeckoDani, congratulations on getting a great deal from the local jeweler. I hope that their workmanship will be as good as that of WF. That''s a rather difficult ring to emulate, so let''s hope they not only saved you money but also are equal to the task of creating what you want. I can''t wait to see it!! Please post pics as soon as you get it. It is a lovely ring! :)

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock

This is really good advice DiamondFan. I especially like the part about presenting the decision as a done deal after the fact. That''s a lesson well learned, and the earlier the better IMO.

GeckoDani, congratulations on getting a great deal from the local jeweler. I hope that their workmanship will be as good as that of WF. That''s a rather difficult ring to emulate, so let''s hope they not only saved you money but also are equal to the task of creating what you want. I can''t wait to see it!! Please post pics as soon as you get it. It is a lovely ring! :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Isabelle - My sister in law has a custom piece from them, and it''s gorgeous, so I''m not worried. :) I''ll post lots of pics!

Itgirl76

Shiny_Rock
It is a lovely ring! Who cares what anyone else says as long as YOU are happy with it!! It has to sit on your finger so don''t let anyonre make you feel bad about it!!!
16.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to the rest of the stuff that has been posted about jealousy, people not understanding, etc - just wanted to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the setting you''ve picked out. So beautiful!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 12:08:54 PM
Author:geckodani

BUT - My mother in law is giving me grief about it. ''I wore the same ring for 25 years.'' My mom is giving me grief about it, ''I wore a ring I didn''t like for 15 years. There''s nothing wrong with yours.'' My friends are all giving me weird looks as I get excited to go and see the wax.
Well, people used to wash clothes by hand on washboards, and they don''t do that anymore either. This is 2008, baby! And this is Pricescope! Give them the website URL and I bet they both upgrade within a month!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know you''ll get encouragement and find people to share in your excitement here. I say get what you want and don''t worry about what other people think. People don''t get my "thing" for jewelry either. I can''t wait to see it.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty setting. Can''t you just say it''s a gift from your husband? How can anyone criticize a gift? But it sounds like you already told everyone about it. That was probably a mistake because most people don''t really care. And if they haven''t upgraded their own, don''t see the point.

It''s a good thing there is PS where you don''t have to apologize for wanting bigger, better, whiter, cleaner, different cut, different metal, or different setting. WE understand completely!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Itgirl76 - Precisely.
1.gif

Elmorton - Thanks! I looked at a million and 8 settings and kept coming back to it. I''m super excited!

NeverEndingUpgrade - Hee hee hee. I actually talked to my mom last night. She said, "I really wish I''d changed that bottle cap of a ring setting I wore for so long. *sigh*" It was funny.

Life without a washing machine.... I don''t care to contemplate.....

Marcyc- This is why I am loving PS more and more.

swingirl - Yup, already blabbed to the world, LOL. I have learned my lesson for any future purchases.... Stick to PS.
1.gif

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 11:48:29 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade

BUT - My mother in law is giving me grief about it. ''I wore the same ring for 25 years.'' My mom is giving me grief about it, ''I wore a ring I didn''t like for 15 years. There''s nothing wrong with yours.'' My friends are all giving me weird looks as I get excited to go and see the wax.
Well, people used to wash clothes by hand on washboards, and they don''t do that anymore either. This is 2008, baby! And this is Pricescope! Give them the website URL and I bet they both upgrade within a month!
Oh how true this is! Darn you Pricescope!!!!
11.gif
9.gif

Cachette
1.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, darn Pricescope, I am a lot poorer because of you!

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
Oy. Let me first say that I''m a newish member to the forums and have enjoyed reading about and looking at all of everyone''s gorgeous jewelry.
1.gif

I''ve been married for 2 years, been wearing my ER for 3 years. It''s a .75, D, VS2, ''Ideal'' cut. Set in a lovely Tiffany style 6 prong with a plain band.

When it was presented to me, my husband told me that he had no clue what setting to get me, and that I could change it whenever I liked. I liked the look of the 6 prong and kept it.

3 years later, there''s nothing wrong with my ring, it''s still beautiful. But I got the itch to reset it, hubby said go for it and away I went! I ended up with something just a little bit funkier then my original, but still rather classic. (Here''s a link to the inspiration ring: http://www.engagement-ring-mountings.com/ring_settings_info_1670.htm#more_pictures) The wax of my new ring should be ready tomorrow and I''m really excited about it.

I''m not spending money we don''t have. In fact, I''m not spending much at all ($325 total). So - why is everyone giving me grief?

Has anyone else gotten this reaction? How did you handle it?

Wow! No offense but...jealous much? They are just upset because, in their eyes, you are being spoiled. I get grief like this from my FMIL and FSIL whenever FI buys me something that I dont "need" in their eyes. I woud just tell them that your husband had oringally said you could change it and you found what you want so you are going to. End of dicussion. If they want to wear their rings, that is their perogative. Just as it is yours to be able to change it.

Not to mention, as you will find here, there are lots of people that change rings that have "nothing wrong with them" =)

Booper717

Shiny_Rock
Hey there! Don''t worry about what others think... this is your ring and you''re the one that deserves to be 100% happy with it, btw, I LOVE the new setting!!!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again for all of the comments everyone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results