shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging Haven and any other M and lower-color OMC/OEC owners!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
The only way I am ever going to get an upgrade is to go lower in color, and probably get an actual antique via eBay or DB. :cheeky: Haven's O-P OMC doesn't seem 'yellow' to me at all, in any of the photos, even in rose gold with the yellow surprise stone underneath. I have looked through the 'lower' color threads, but it's still hard for me to tell in different lighting situations how lower color stones really look.

Basically, I'm looking for comparisons in sunlight, office-type lighting, and softer lamp lighting. Any of the M and lower stones I've seen photos of look quite ivory/creamy to me and not in a bad way. I am not very color sensitive (my e-ring is an I color square radiant and studs are probably J-K color and while I can see the difference in color, it doesn't bother me).

Also, any comparisons between your larger M and lower stones and higher color diamond bands (F-H color) would be helpful, too.

Ganesha

Shiny_Rock
Re: Paging Haven and any other M and lower-color OMC/OEC own

Hi rubybeth,

I realize that judging color can be tricky in photos since so much depends on lighting and color rendering of both the camera and computer screen, BUT I hope these quick snaps with a range of diamond colors will be helpful.

Featuring my 1.43 L AVC set in platinum with F/G melee; 2.82 O-P OEC set in rose gold; .53 E OEC also in rose gold; and .80 I modern RB set in platinum.

Personally I adore the warmth and richness of lower color diamonds, especially in old-cut stones, and would highly recommend taking a look in person!

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock

Ganesha|1335281643|3179409 said:
Hi rubybeth,

I realize that judging color can be tricky in photos since so much depends on lighting and color rendering of both the camera and computer screen, BUT I hope these quick snaps with a range of diamond colors will be helpful.

Featuring my 1.43 L AVC set in platinum with F/G melee; 2.82 O-P OEC set in rose gold; .53 E OEC also in rose gold; and .80 I modern RB set in platinum.

Personally I adore the warmth and richness of lower color diamonds, especially in old-cut stones, and would highly recommend taking a look in person!

Wow, those are AWESOME comparison photos ganesha!

Rubybeth, good luck in your search! It IS a tough decision, since OECs vary so greatly in their characteristics (which is one reason why I love them :) ). Hope you find what you are looking for!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hi, Rubybeth!

I have some photos of my O-P with my eternity band, which has F-G 7.5 pointers, I think. I'm just going to post a bunch, I'm doing it from previously uploaded photos so they look like little thumbnails--I'm sorry if there are a bunch of repeats! I walked all around my house and took these in different lighting conditions. And of course there are some taken outside.

IMG_0467.jpg
IMG_0457.jpgIMG_0412.jpgIMG_0405.jpgIMG_0391.jpgIMG_0376.jpgIMG_0331.jpgIMG_0310_0.jpgIMG_0279.jpgIMG_0413.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

When I see these photos of my stone next to my e-band I'm always struck by how much warmer it looks when they're together. I wear the ring with a plain RG twist band, and the stone doesn't look very warm to me when worn alone. It doesn't really look that warm when worn next to the e-band IRL, either. It looks creamier than anything else.

I love lower colors, though, so of course it's all subjective. :cheeky: \

Ganesha--Gosh, our stones are SO similar, like long-lost sisters or something!

ETA: Dreamer made a good observation about my stone a while ago--that it has more of a steely grey undertone rather than a yellow one. I think that's pretty spot-on.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Ooh, Ganesha and Haven, these images are really helpful! I actually have both your rings 'pinned' on my Pinterest jewelry board as favorites. :bigsmile: Haven, your diamond band is a lot larger than the one I wear on my left hand (WF bezel band in my avatar <----) and the contrast is actually really lovely, so I think my tiny little band would be fine with an M or lower color center. And Ganesha, the comparison with the AVC and the OECs is really helpful, too. They are all so beautiful!

I told my husband that with diamond prices going up, up, and away out of our price range for an upgrade, for our 5 year anniversary next year (also when we will be completely out of debt), I am just going to get the biggest diamond I can possibly imagine wearing every day until I die. :naughty:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

I remember a few months ago JBEG had an O/P on their site that I inquired about and it looked soooo 'white' in the pictures and even in the sunlight videos etc. It sold but then a month or so later they had another one that looked much different color-wise, much warmer in all pics and in the video etc. It just goes to show that the stones themselves can be so unique... one might have some fluor making it face up a little whiter or even a more strictly or loosely graded color than another. Also the color in the stone could be yellow or it could be more pinky brown. I have an S stone that is more pinky brown than yellow and I really love it. I think if I were to consider a lower color stone in a large size I'd just have to see whatever stone it was in person and determine what I think about the color grading.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock

Did you see the 3 ct oec, I think it is a Q, that GOG has/had on consignment? I am sorry I can't link it right now but they had a video as well. It was creamy, but (I thought) very pretty. Maybe that will give you another idea of color?

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Ganesha and Haven-WOW! :love: I am in love with your rings! I never get tired of seeing them.

Rubybeth, I think warm/lower colored diamonds-especially in old cuts-are very special and beautiful. I do not have any pictures of my own yet, but I am purchasing an L/M OEC from jbeg and I adore the warmth. You are correct that most warm old cuts are a creamy/ivory color, this is partly because old cuts often face up whiter.

Here is a link to my OEC. At the time it was in a setting with f/g melee, so it will give you a good comparison of color. you can see by going through the pictures that sometimes it faces up very white and in others it is a creamy ivory and then sometimes you get to see a little bit of yellow.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEGSignatureSettingsandSpecia/Halos/The-Gabbie-Halo-Setting/15232017_cCzpHK#!i=1400931829&k=ztj8P55

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks, Armywife!

Mara is totally spot-on about each low-colored stone being unique.

Mine is an O-P according to the GIA cert, so that might also account for some differences. I've noticed that a lot of lower colored OMCs/OECs have EGL certs. Mine didn't have a cert at all, so my jeweler sent it to GIA for me.

I want some more pictures in this thread!!!!

Ganesha

Shiny_Rock

Glad you found the images helpful! Here's one more from my other thread with a BGD bezel band for reference.

Haven, I see the family resemblance too! Love it!

IMG_0403.jpg

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Ganesha|1335303400|3179731 said:
Glad you found the images helpful! Here's one more from my other thread with a BGD bezel band for reference.

IMG_0403.jpg
I love that picture, it looks like your diamond is glowing!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

I'm not sure what size you're hoping for, but color does become a touch more noticeable as you go larger.

Here's my .84 M pendant as a point of reference.

crop 7863.jpg

crop 7878.jpg

crop 7879.jpg

CROP 7880.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Phdecorate|1335295610|3179605 said:
Did you see the 3 ct oec, I think it is a Q, that GOG has/had on consignment? I am sorry I can't link it right now but they had a video as well. It was creamy, but (I thought) very pretty. Maybe that will give you another idea of color?

Hey, thanks for pointing that one out! I loved seeing the images and the video, very helpful (as all Jon's videos are), but esp. because it's a true antique stone, quite large, and a 'low' color. I found the link and will share here in case others are interested:

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8716/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgJ7VlJbi0w&lr=1

And, aljdewey, thanks for images of your M pendant! I'm so glad you commented on the size factor, because that would definitely be a consideration for me. I would not be getting something as large as Haven's or Ganesha's rings, that's for sure!

For reference, to me, anything around a 7mm spread would be extremely generous. I have a size 5.25 finger and my current e-ring diamond is a 4.73mm square radiant, so ideally I'd add 2mm to the visual impact. I was thinking a 1 carat diamond would satisfy since it would be a huge jump for me in size and carat weight, but I really think I have to get the largest stone possible, because other things are going to come up and the time to splurge will be next fall when we have $0 debt. I have tried on larger stones, but for my region, job, and lifestyle, anything over 1.5 carats will be seen as 'too much' and most wouldn't believe it's real, anyway. I *might* be able to be convinced to go bigger if it's in budget. :lol:

Ganesha

Shiny_Rock

Thanks, armywife! Can't wait to see more photos of your gorgeous JbEG stone! :love:

InnaR

Shiny_Rock

Mara said:
I remember a few months ago JBEG had an O/P on their site that I inquired about and it looked soooo 'white' in the pictures and even in the sunlight videos etc. It sold but then a month or so later they had another one that looked much different color-wise, much warmer in all pics and in the video etc.
Mara,
I think that I am the one who got the second stone you are refering to. It's is graded by EGL as N/O, so it can be as low as R/S.
It faces up different in every light, and goes from white to yellow to green. It not my imagination, few people noticed it and mentioned that it it shows ocean green color in certain lighting conditions. It's nothing i've seen before, and i'm not sure what it means.
I have it set in white gold hoping to minimize the color, but changed my mind since then and going to reset it in rose gold to bring out the color instead.
Here is the stone:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...e-OEC/20930169_g3PZxS#!i=1662590106&k=dzvNPzZ

Burk

Ideal_Rock

Here are a couple of my M colored OMC. It can look crazy white in some lights, but creamy in others. I love its personality!

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Oh, Burk, I'm glad you chimed in! I was just looking at your upgrade thread again and seeing all your diamond bands with your new stone is really helpful. I think 'personality' is a great way of describing the shifts that the old cuts do in different lighting.

And armywife and Inna, I am drooling over your stones. :cheeky: How am I gonna hold out until August of 2013?!

ETA: I feel like all the 'stars' of PS have come out to answer my 'page.' Thanks, everyone! :wavey:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

rubybeth|1335374731|3180417 said:
Oh, Burk, I'm glad you chimed in! I was just looking at your upgrade thread again and seeing all your diamond bands with your new stone is really helpful. I think 'personality' is a great way of describing the shifts that the old cuts do in different lighting.

And armywife and Inna, I am drooling over your stones. :cheeky: How am I gonna hold out until August of 2013?!

ETA: I feel like all the 'stars' of PS have come out to answer my 'page.' Thanks, everyone! :wavey:
I should have mine late summer/early fall of this year. :bigsmile: Believe me, I am just as anxious!!!

Rhapsody

Shiny_Rock

I have a princess and asscher that are both GIA Gs and an AVC which is an AGS M. Sometimes the M is white white white and other times very obviously tinted. It's amazing what a chameleon it is. I dont have any good pictures of them together in artificial light, but here are a few in direct/indirect sunlight. The blurry one shows how tinted it can look at times. I really love the colour of the M.

And for size reference, the princess is 4.6mm, asscher 5.3mm, AVC 5.7 x 6 mm. On my hand the cushion is noticeably bigger than the princess, so I think you'd be happy with the size jump from ~4.5 to ~6.5.

SquareBattle1.JPG

SquareBattle2.JPG

SquareBattle3.JPG

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock

I too have a GIA O-P diamond, an old mine brilliant. It's in a platinum and rose gold halo, surrounded by pink diamond and then white diamond (I think around J?) melee. In some lights it has a steely blue whiteness that reminds me of higher colour stones (DEF stones look 'blue' white to my eyes), and other times it's a pastel rainbow. It never looks properly yellow to me, but I'm not colour sensitive. The tint is most visible from the side.

one_0.jpg
IMG_3667.jpg
IMG_3638.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

Ganesha|1335303400|3179731 said:

IMG_0403.jpg
I love this ring! I love warmth in old cut stones.

tumbelina

Rough_Rock

Oh my ZahraLeyla, that ring is stunning!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lot's of pics here comparing an M color AVC to an I/J color modern RB. In person, the M looked white to ivory to champagne to deep umber depending on lighting.

Lower color diamond vary greatly from one another depening on the color that creates their tint -- it can be grey, yellow, brown, and other colors too. Also, lower color stones look totally different depending on lighting, much more so than less tinted stones. All this is to say you need to see the stone in person to judge.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Rhapsody said:
And for size reference, the princess is 4.6mm, asscher 5.3mm, AVC 5.7 x 6 mm. On my hand the cushion is noticeably bigger than the princess, so I think you'd be happy with the size jump from ~4.5 to ~6.5.

Ooh, those images are really helpful, Rhapsody, thanks a bunch! Your princess is almost exactly the same size as my square radiant, and the AVC does look quite a bit larger. I actually just got a cheapie fake OEC at 6.5mm to compare sizes, and now I know I'd be quite happy with that size.

I also e-mailed with Gabriel & Co. recently about customizing their settings to have split claw or fishtail prongs, and they said they can modify any setting to have any kind of prongs. Mmm, an OEC or OMC in a solitaire w/ fishtail prongs... I am sure I'll change my mind 1,000 times before I actually buy the upgrade, but that's what I'm loving for now. :lol: All I know is, no halos for my left hand since DH wants the rock to be the star. :D

ZahraLeyla|1335413436|3181174 said:
I too have a GIA O-P diamond, an old mine brilliant. It's in a platinum and rose gold halo, surrounded by pink diamond and then white diamond (I think around J?) melee. In some lights it has a steely blue whiteness that reminds me of higher colour stones (DEF stones look 'blue' white to my eyes), and other times it's a pastel rainbow. It never looks properly yellow to me, but I'm not colour sensitive. The tint is most visible from the side.

Yay, Zahra, I was hoping you'd chime in! Your ring is another on my Pinterest page as a favorite, obviously as it is clearly one of the most fabulous rings ever (coming in only slightly behind Liz Taylor's jewels, IMHO). :bigsmile: I know *exactly* what you mean about very high color stones looking 'blue' white. That is how I feel about skim milk vs. 2% or whole milk. Skim looks blue, and the higher fat content looks properly white/creamy. Maybe it's something about my terrible nearsightedness, but I prefer a warmer modifying hue to a cooler modifier. I am not an arty person, maybe I should ask my DH how to explain that better.

Anyway, the rainbow of colors is what is really interesting to me, the way the old cuts catch light and show colors is just lovely. The fact that they pick up colors from your clothes and environment just makes them fun little chameleons. I've never been drawn to modern round brilliants, but seeing all these OECs and OMCs on Pricescope has shown me that shape matters less to me than personality.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1335444548|3181318 said:
Lot's of pics here comparing an M color AVC to an I/J color modern RB. In person, the M looked white to ivory to champagne to deep umber depending on lighting.

Lower color diamond vary greatly from one another depening on the color that creates their tint -- it can be grey, yellow, brown, and other colors too. Also, lower color stones look totally different depending on lighting, much more so than less tinted stones. All this is to say you need to see the stone in person to judge.

I think Dreamer meant to include her AVC and BGD round comparison thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/august-vintage-cushion-compared-to-a-bgd-round-brilliant.165243/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/august-vintage-cushion-compared-to-a-bgd-round-brilliant.165243/[/URL]

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This thread is seriously giving me the vapors. I don't have any stones lower than M...yet. :Up_to_something: I have an L (uncerted, based on my jewelers appraisal) OEC that I'll try to photograph later.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

ihy138|1335449145|3181364 said:
This thread is seriously giving me the vapors. I don't have any stones lower than M...yet. :Up_to_something: I have an L (uncerted, based on my jewelers appraisal) OEC that I'll try to photograph later.

Photos of an L would be helpful, too, I think. I just asked for M and lower because I've seen a few "M"s for sale in my ideal size and price range and so wanted to get an idea. Though, as we know, old cuts with EGL certs might not be graded accurately for color/clarity, so anything that would be in the 'noticeable color' range of K-Z compared to anything in the "colorless" or "near colorless" range would be good. I hope this thread is helpful to others looking at old cuts (or old-inspired cuts like AVRs and AVCs).

ETA: I don't think it hurts the 'old cut' cause that all of the diamonds on this thread are TO DIE FOR! :love: :appl: And, you know, HUGE. :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ihy138|1335449145|3181364 said:

Oh my gosh, I so agree, the stones in this thread are crazy beautiful!! These lower colored old cut diamonds are mesmerizing. Now I'm plotting my next purchase...let's see, 30th anniversary maybe? :cheeky: Does it ever end? :???:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

InnaR|1335364350|3180264 said:
Mara said:
I remember a few months ago JBEG had an O/P on their site that I inquired about and it looked soooo 'white' in the pictures and even in the sunlight videos etc. It sold but then a month or so later they had another one that looked much different color-wise, much warmer in all pics and in the video etc.
Mara,
I think that I am the one who got the second stone you are refering to. It's is graded by EGL as N/O, so it can be as low as R/S.
It faces up different in every light, and goes from white to yellow to green. It not my imagination, few people noticed it and mentioned that it it shows ocean green color in certain lighting conditions. It's nothing i've seen before, and i'm not sure what it means.
I have it set in white gold hoping to minimize the color, but changed my mind since then and going to reset it in rose gold to bring out the color instead.
Here is the stone:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...e-OEC/20930169_g3PZxS#!i=1662590106&k=dzvNPzZ

HI Inna..! No I don't think the stone I was thinking of was yours, I think it was something like a 2.03c or something. But yours is extremely lovely and does not look that warm in the photos. This other stone looked very warm in the photos and it was just so different from the other N/O/P that they had that I remember thinking it was crazy how unique each stone was. I passed on the 2.03 but it was a really lively, beautiful stone, just didn't think the warmth was quite what I was looking for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results