shape
carat
color
clarity

**paging Demelza / Allison D. (or anyone else who might be able to help me decide on a tcw for my 5

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies!... Sorry to bug you *again*, but I am back to second guessing my stone size choice for my 5 stone ring.

Demelza - did you ever happen to get around to taking any more hand shots of your lovely? When you were ''shopping'' for it, did you try on other tcw''s? If so, what made you decide to go with 50 pointers?

Allison - have you tried on different tcw''s? I''m torn between going with 40 pointers and 50 pointers. Did you happen to try on any 50 pointer 5 stone rings? If so, what made you decide to go with 40 pointers?

Oh why do I make myself crazy second guessing myself?!! I don''t want to regret not having gone larger, but I also want to be able to wear my ring comfortably all day, every day...

Any advice or feedback that you (or anyone else reading this!) might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll bump this for you, bem!

I''m pretty sure Demelza happened to find that ring which already had those size stones.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 8:48:58 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''ll bump this for you, bem!

I''m pretty sure Demelza happened to find that ring which already had those size stones.

Thanks for the bump and for the info, DS2006! I know that I read in her thread that she found it already in those sizes. I''m just wondering if in ''her search'' she happened to try on any 2tcw ones. I kind of feel like I''m losing my mind trying to make such a relatively small decision!!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Hi Bem --

I haven''t forgotten about you. Give me a few minutes and I''ll be posting a few pics for you and some commentary on how I ended up with the 50 pointers. Stay tuned...

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 10:34:11 PM
Author: Demelza
Hi Bem --

I haven''t forgotten about you. Give me a few minutes and I''ll be posting a few pics for you and some commentary on how I ended up with the 50 pointers. Stay tuned...

Oh - thank you thank you!! I will stay tuned...

b.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t had time to take more pics, but I found a few handshots I took when I first got the ring. They''re not great, but hopefully they''re good enough. I have a couple of sideshots as well to give you a sense of the profile.

SPhandshot0001_2.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Sorry it''s so blurry. These pics were in my reject pile, but hopefully they''ll do the job.

SPhandshot0001_3.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
The reason I went with 50 pointers is simply that the ring I first saw and fell in love with had 50 pointers. I didn''t buy that specific ring, so I could have gone for bigger or smaller had I wanted to. Honestly, it didn''t really cross my mind to mess with the carat weight because the ring I saw and tried on was so lovely and perfect just as it was. I did not try on rings with smaller stones, so I suppose it''s possible I might have preferred 40 pointers, but I rather doubt it. As it is now, my ring doesn''t look as huge and blingy as it did at first. That said, it''s definitely not an understated look, but you could say the same thing about a ring with 40 pointers. I suspect the difference in size is subtle, but I''ve never compared my ring to a 2 cttw ring to know for sure.

There''s no reason you can''t wear a ring like this everyday, whether you go for the 40 pointers or the 50 pointers. Neither one is going to give you the absolute ease and comfort of a plain band, so I would probably go for the bigger stones. That''s very easy for me to say, of course. I wish I had some easy way to help you decide. All I can say is that I don''t regret getting this size at all.

Hope that helps!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 4:41:15 PM

Allison - have you tried on different tcw''s? I''m torn between going with 40 pointers and 50 pointers. Did you happen to try on any 50 pointer 5 stone rings? If so, what made you decide to go with 40 pointers?
Bem, I actually initially didn''t think I''d go above 30-pointers; I really felt that anything bigger wouldn''t look right.

HOWEVER....when I tried on that 40-pointers ring in Boston with the looooooooooow profile (the pictures I posted for you), I just LOVED the way it looked on my hand.

About four weeks later, a friend of mine bought the k/courselle version of the ring with .31s. I knew she was getting it, so I specifically held off making decisions about mine until I could test-drive hers.
9.gif
I wore her ring for a few hours that day, and I liked it but felt like it didn''t carry the same presence as the 40-pointer ring did.

At that point, I already had 30-pointer stones paid for; I swamped them for matching .40s.

For me, on my size 7 RHR, I think 50s would feel too big for me.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Demelza and Allison...

Thank you!! I appreciate you both taking the time to answer my questions. I''m still not sure what I''m going to do, but hearing each of your perspectives on it sets my mind at ease in that whichever I choose to go with I know that I can''t go wrong.

Allison - when will your ring be finished?

Here''s one that can go in the ''you know you''re a PS''er when'' file... such is my level of ocd about this that I actually spent a good hour tonight gluing together a mockup of each prospective size, which I then wrapped around my Tiffany celebration band and photographed in order to get a sense of size and perspective. I will attach these ridiculous photos in a minute...
20.gif

b.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
The 50 pointers mockup... (please pardon my broken nail - time for a mani!)

50pointersmockup.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Bem, mine should be finished around the 6th of June or so...unless it completes early.

The first CAD was a bit too squat in the profile for me, so I had them tweak it and it was PERFECT on the 2nd go.

I totally relate to your dilemma; I was debating between 30- and 40-pointers. I''ve wanted to do mine for a while but wasn''t sure it would look right on me. I put off my decision until my friend''s 30-pointer 5-stone was done and tried that on for a bit. It was lovely, but I wanted just a bit more presence, so I went with 40s.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Hi Bem:

I do not have a 5 stone ring, but I do have a 7 carat total weight uternity platinum band with rounds that are between .52 - .54 pointers (13 stones). I wear it as a RHR (my ring size is 4.25). When I look from the top down, the first 5 stones covers the width of my ring finger, you can''t really see the other 8 stones. I love this ring and I wear it everyday, so definitely go with the 50 pointers as shrinkage unfortunately does set in. It will not be too big, it will be just right.

Roppongi

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bem, in all honesty, I really like the way the 40 pointers fit the top of your finger. It looks perfect to me.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Ladies - THANK YOU for continuing to provide much valued feedback to this dilemma. I *so* appreciate everyone''s commentary and perspective, but LORD, AM I EVER CONFUSED!!

Allison - I can''t wait to see pics of your ring when you get it. Part of me wants to hold off on moving ahead with mine until I can see pics of yours (sounds like what you went through with waiting to see your friends 30 pointers ring). I know that it will turn out to be amazingly beautiful!

Roppongi - DSS is what scares me the most! I have searched for pics of your amazing sounding ring but couldn''t find any - is there a thread that you could direct me to?

DS2006 - THANK YOU for your feedback. There''s part of me that thinks that the 40 pointers would be just *perfect*, too... I just wish that I could actually try some bands on in these sizes to get a sense, but alas, there is not a band to be found anywhere in this city it seems!

Again, I so appreciate any and all commentary and feedback!
1.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2008 7:13:21 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Bem, in all honesty, I really like the way the 40 pointers fit the top of your finger. It looks perfect to me.

I agree that the 40 pointers mock-up looks best. That said, I wouldn''t put too much weight on how the mock-ups look on your hand. The stones in a real ring will be set in such a way that they don''t just wrap around your finger. My ring swoops up a bit on the sides which is why the stones fit across my finger.

The bottom line is that you really can''t go wrong. At least I don''t think so. What about compromising and going with 45 pointers? Is that a possibility?

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Demelza!

I agree that I can''t really go wrong. I am leaning towards the 40 pointers, I think. 45 pointers would be ideal, and this has occurred to me as being the perfect solution, but there is no inventory in this size at WF and it may be several weeks before they get new inventory. The ring needs to be ready for our wedding in July.

Thank you for your helpful feedback and for inspiring me with your beautiful ring!

b.

dinsky

Rough_Rock
BEM3231, I have a 5 stone ring in a trellis setting, I love it! It is 1.78 tcw, it is showy enough so that I can wear it alone and small enough so that I can wear it with my stacking rings or even my engagement ring if I want alot of bling. Whichever size you choose you cannot go wrong, just enjoy!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 11:57:17 AM
Author: dinsky
BEM3231, I have a 5 stone ring in a trellis setting, I love it! It is 1.78 tcw, it is showy enough so that I can wear it alone and small enough so that I can wear it with my stacking rings or even my engagement ring if I want alot of bling. Whichever size you choose you cannot go wrong, just enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback, dinsky! I really appreciate your commentary. Being able to wear the band, if I chose to, with other stacking rings, etc. is something that is swaying me to the 40 pointers. I know that the size difference between 2.5tcw and 2 tcw isn''t huge, but I''m thinking that the 2.5 tcw might look odd should I ever, down the line, try to wear it with anything else.

Thanks again!
35.gif

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
I think it really depends on if You want to wear it with any other bands like you mentioned, if not You can/should go bigger, but if Youäre planning on a future stack You probably should go with the .40''s, either way I don''t think You could go wrong...

Sorry for the threadjack, but Roppongi, I agree with Bem your ring sounds amazing, Do you by any chance have any pictures that You can post?
27.gif
I have pretty small hands myself, and would love to see how .50 stones would look on a hand size close to mine...
2.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 12:57:51 PM
Author: bem3231
Date: 5/28/2008 11:57:17 AM

Author: dinsky

Thanks for the feedback, dinsky! I really appreciate your commentary. Being able to wear the band, if I chose to, with other stacking rings, etc. is something that is swaying me to the 40 pointers. I know that the size difference between 2.5tcw and 2 tcw isn''t huge, but I''m thinking that the 2.5 tcw might look odd should I ever, down the line, try to wear it with anything else.

Thanks again!
35.gif

What kind of stacking rings were you thinking about? I sometimes wear my band with my Michael B wisp band. I''m honestly not sure, though, whether a 5 stone band in either size will lend itself very well to stacking. Because of how the stones are set, the girdles are very much exposed and will scratch any ring that is next to it if it has a high enough profile. Just thought I''d throw that out there.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 5 stone band that is 1.65cts, with .33 stones. I feel that it is a good size to wear alone. However, I could foresee myself upgrading my diamonds in the future to .40''s (or a little more). Gotta love that WF trade-in policy!
31.gif

I can''t wait to see your ring!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 1:53:21 PM
Author: Demelza
Date: 5/28/2008 12:57:51 PM

What kind of stacking rings were you thinking about? I sometimes wear my band with my Michael B wisp band. I''m honestly not sure, though, whether a 5 stone band in either size will lend itself very well to stacking. Because of how the stones are set, the girdles are very much exposed and will scratch any ring that is next to it if it has a high enough profile. Just thought I''d throw that out there.

Hi again Demelza -

I think that you make another good point. I don''t even know what I was imagining in terms of stacking rings - perhaps a couple of fine ones in pink or white diamonds when I (hopefully) have babies? This has more to do with my post-PS inclination to keep finger real estate open for future projects than it has to do with any set ideas of what that might be!
1.gif

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Bem: I wear two very skinny platinum micro pave guards on either side of this ring and it looks very nice. I also have two other eternity bands (2 and 3 carats) that I have stacked with this ring (one at a time).

Lill: I have pictures of the ring that I will send to the moderator to post.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results