shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on my WF custom trellis CAD?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TorontoBuyer

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m in the process of having WF design a custom setting for my ER. I asked them for a trellis setting, but modified so that the centre stone is more prominent/higher up than the side stones. I''ve chosen and bought a 1.22ct D VS2 for the centre stone, and will have ~0.20ct F VS2 ACA melee for the side stones.

I''m comfortable with the proportions of the centre to side stones, but would really appreciate opinions on the setting - specifically if the raised centre stone seems off visually, or if this type of setting might present problems with durability/cleaning or other practical concerns. i.e., comments on beauty welcomed, but also... would she (or you!) have problems wearing this?

Thanks!

Top view:

CAD top.JPG

tevyk

Rough_Rock
I can''t comment on any of the structural or pragmatic aspects, but I *LOVE* this setting and the look you''ve got with the proportions. I am currently in the process of working with WF for a smaller version of almost the same sort of thing for my girlfriend.

I''ll have a .80 ct center 3-stone trellis with sides to accent, rather than flow with, the center. .17ct each has been mentioned (I think my sides will be proportionately slightly bigger than yours), but we''ll see. For me, Jamie said it wouldn''t be a problem to *lower* the side stones slightly rather than raise the center when they''re setting it, so I''m going to have them do that.

If you don''t mind my asking, what did they quote for the custom setting? I was also contemplating a few other less-minor changes to their trellis design, and was wondering what sort of price to expect.

Are you getting WG or platinum?

Good luck and great choice!

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
personally i prefer a lower-set center stone in 3-stone rings, but that''s just me. i don''t think it''s raised disproportionately high, but i would prefer it slightly lowered. of course, it''s hard to tell from the CAD just how high the stone will sit. the higher setting definitely helps make the stone pop, though!

i don''t think there should be any problems with durability or cleaning, as long as your gf doesn''t row a boat or go on an archaelogical dig while wearing her rings!

DVS2? looks gorgeous to me!
30.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 3:40:39 PM
Author: tevyk
I can''t comment on any of the structural or pragmatic aspects, but I *LOVE* this setting and the look you''ve got with the proportions. I am currently in the process of working with WF for a smaller version of almost the same sort of thing for my girlfriend.

I''ll have a .80 ct center 3-stone trellis with sides to accent, rather than flow with, the center. .17ct each has been mentioned (I think my sides will be proportionately slightly bigger than yours), but we''ll see. For me, Jamie said it wouldn''t be a problem to *lower* the side stones slightly rather than raise the center when they''re setting it, so I''m going to have them do that.

If you don''t mind my asking, what did they quote for the custom setting? I was also contemplating a few other less-minor changes to their trellis design, and was wondering what sort of price to expect.

Are you getting WG or platinum?

Good luck and great choice!

Hi Tevyk! Did you see my post to you on the other WF thread? I saw both the rings and I LOVED the Trellis.

To TorontoBuyer: the ring is gorgeous. I love the way you put the center diamond slightly higher up. I looks really beautiful. When you get it will you post some pictures for us? :)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks amazing!!
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it. I wouldn''t want the center stone sitting TOO high, but I can''t tell how high it is. Just a better chance of knocking it more, if set too high. But I think it''s pretty!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great! I don''t think it looks too high to me. Scott Kay does a lot of 3-stones in that way and as long as the sides aren''t too big I think you can get away with the center raised like that.

Gorgeous!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I think the ring is beautiful! I personally like how the center stone is slightly raised higher than the side stones. You have designed a lovely ring and i''m sure that she will love it. Congrats!
36.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that it looks pretty and not at all too high.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Overall it looks very nice. I have never designed a custom ring, but I know that the CAD is a bit bulkier than the finished product so keep that in mind. As for the your concerns about daily wear, my best friend has a WG custom trilis ring e-ring (not from WF), and I don''t think she has any issues with it, works great for everyday wear. I have a pair of earings from white flash in their basic 4-prong setting that gets grime wedged every now and than. I soap, water, and a cheep lipstick brush from Target to get inbetween the small parts of my earings and it works great. So I think it will be fine.

As for the hight of the diamond. I think from top down it will look great and really dirmatic. I myself like lower set rings, but everyone has different tastes on this. Also, they may have done it for pratical reasons (e.g. so the future w-ring sits flush with the e-ring). It is really personal perference.

Overall, you have a beautiful ring in the works.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the proportions just fine, and I would certainly wear it. My only concern is what kind of wedding band will work with it and not damage the trellis. But that''s always my concern, no matter the design of the ER. I''m kind of OCD about it really. This looks like a beautiful ring.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s beautiful! She''ll love it!

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE it! I really prefer a higher set center for an engagement ring. I''ve had a higher set center and a lower set center. I REALLY miss my higher set center stone.
8.gif
It''s really just a personal preference issue. I think the proportions of that ring are awesome all around!
36.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d bring the center stone down just a little bit. Other than that? It''s pretty much perfect. (and gorgeous!)

TorontoBuyer

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all the comments. Forgot to mention, this is an 18K WG / palladium alloy (not nickel) - I was going to go Plat, but the GF actually prefers the look of gold. I was quoted ~$2200 including the melee.

I definitely like the higher centre stone and am glad most of you seem to agree... if I found out from WF exactly how much higher it is (in mm) would that help determine if it is "too high" or is that overkill?

As for the wedding band comment lyra, my GF sounds OCD too in that she''ll want a band that sits ''perfectly'' flush with the ER. I don''t want to overcomplicate matters and am hoping to have WF produce a matching band further down the road to address this... or would it make more sense to have it done at the same time?

Thanks again

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Looks like a classic beauty to me! I prefer 3 stones to stand alone without a band. Just my 2 cents. That setting doesn''t need any help!

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous ring! She'll love it.

Regarding the wedding band... I'm sure others will chime in...but the desire to have the wedding band sit flush is something that needs to addressed now while you are still in the design phase. Often, the nature of trellis type settings prevents a band from fitting completely flush and there is usually a gap. How big the gap depends on the exact nature of the design and the type of wedding band your intended may want (plain, shared prong diamond, channel set diamond, etc.). If this will be an issue, as you seem to suggest, you need to work with Whiteflash on it now to see what solutions you can come up with. Definitely doable, but only now before the ring is completed. (ETA: unless your girlfriend won't mind a curved wedding band instead of a straight one.)

Good luck!!

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Here are some examples of gorgeous pricescope rings to illustrate what I am talking about. I hope no one minds me posting their rings...

February2003Brides gorgeous 3 stone princess with diamond band, and plain band. Note the differing degrees of "gap" depending on the band...but still a slight gap no matter what... https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-whiteflash-princess-3-stone-trellis-ring.62216/

IMG_2000.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

The below is Zoebartlett's beautiful 3 stone by Whiteflash and her curved wedding band.... https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-engagement-ring-pictures-finally.62511/

both%20ringss%20on%20box.jpg

tworingsonhand.jpg

You could also work with Whiteflash to see if the can make the shank of the e-ring a bit wider, or raise the trellis height, etc., to accommodate a flush fitting wedding band. Again - it will all depend on what look you want. They are all gorgeous in my opinion...
30.gif
30.gif
But address it now...

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 9:23:55 AM
Author: TorontoBuyer

As for the wedding band comment lyra, my GF sounds OCD too in that she''ll want a band that sits ''perfectly'' flush with the ER. I don''t want to overcomplicate matters and am hoping to have WF produce a matching band further down the road to address this... or would it make more sense to have it done at the same time?

First of all, LOVE LOVE LOVE the setting as is. I love the center stone being showcased and don''t think it''s too high at all. VERY lovely.

Regarding the wedding band......if you can, it would make sense to do it at the same time. If that''s not optimal for you now, you should plan on sending the e-ring back in when you have the band made to fit it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 9:31:46 AM
Author: Peachy
Gorgeous ring! She''ll love it.

Regarding the wedding band... I''m sure others will chime in...but the desire to have the wedding band sit flush is something that needs to addressed now while you are still in the design phase. Often, the nature of trellis type settings prevents a band from fitting completely flush and there is usually a gap. How big the gap depends on the exact nature of the design and the type of wedding band your intended may want (plain, shared prong diamond, channel set diamond, etc.). If this will be an issue, as you seem to suggest, you need to work with Whiteflash on it now to see what solutions you can come up with. Definitely doable, but only now before the ring is completed. (ETA: unless your girlfriend won''t mind a curved wedding band instead of a straight one.)

Good luck!!
I agree, I''d address it now, and possibly have them make the WB while you''re at it, or she might need to send the Ering back later.

And it wouldn''t hurt to find out how high the center is.

TorontoBuyer

Rough_Rock
Ok, I''ve emailed Sheerah and asked for a measurement of how high the centre stone sits, as well as thoughts on how to make the WB sit flush.

Thanks for the pix Peachy... all are beautiful, but knowing my GF she''d hate the gap on the 1st pic, might tolerate the gap on the 2nd, and probably dislike the curved (but elegant!) band on the 4th.

I''ll do some searching here for trellis settings with flush bands... unless someone happens to read this and wouldn''t mind posting a pic?
35.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
TB, for most trellis styles, the band won''t sit *absolutely completely* flush due to the overlapping wires that make up the basket.

If you''re set on *thisclose* flush, you may need to opt for a plain band that can potentially be notched to fit the engagement ring.

Most engagement rings/wedding bands don''t sit absolutely completely flush anyway (not just trellis style); rings tend to move around while on the hand. Unless you plan to solder the rings together, there will likely be some movement and separating.

Take comfort, though - most people''s eyes get used to the little bit of gap. It looks funny when you first try rings on, but after a couple of weeks of wearing them, the eye gets used to the look.

Good luck to you!

niccia

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s beautiful and I love the height of the centre stone. Generally I don''t like three stone rings, because the side stones sort of take away from the main diamond. In your CAD, the centre stone really pops because of the size and height difference. My ring is also set quite high, and I think it makes the diamond look bigger and stand out from all the pave I have around it. I wouldn''t change a thing. Im sure she will love it.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
That is just sheer perfection. Gorgeous!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

My center stone in my e-ring is higher than my sidestones and I have no wearability problems. Oh, and I LOVE WG/palladium alloys! That''s what I have too and it''s really great. It''s still as white as when I got it almost 2 yearts ago and barely scratched.

TorontoBuyer

Rough_Rock
I''m loving all these compliments, thanks all!
4.gif

I received a quick reply from WF, as usual. The height sounds good (description pasted below) and they like it and call it ''different'', which is a positive to me.
"The table of your center stone (top flat part) is sitting at approx. 7mm. Your side stones at approx. 4.4mm. A standard trellis would sit anywhere from 5 to 6mm depending on the size of the stones, and sides anywhere from 4 to 5mm, also depending on the stone size."

As for the band, I think she might be ok with a bit of a space, but I think I need to see some examples... back to the search function! Unless anyone has pics, perhaps of a trellis setting that has been modified to allow a straight band to sit flush?
9.gif

Thanks much

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 2:39:25 PM
Author: TorontoBuyer
I''m loving all these compliments, thanks all!
4.gif

I received a quick reply from WF, as usual. The height sounds good (description pasted below) and they like it and call it ''different'', which is a positive to me.
''The table of your center stone (top flat part) is sitting at approx. 7mm. Your side stones at approx. 4.4mm. A standard trellis would sit anywhere from 5 to 6mm depending on the size of the stones, and sides anywhere from 4 to 5mm, also depending on the stone size.''

As for the band, I think she might be ok with a bit of a space, but I think I need to see some examples... back to the search function! Unless anyone has pics, perhaps of a trellis setting that has been modified to allow a straight band to sit flush?
9.gif

Thanks much
No problem.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results