shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed!! Just bought ring for soon to be fiance!

MrAnon86

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

New to the site. I wanted to get some female opinions on a ring I just purchased for my girlfriend. The ring pictured is the example ring at the store. The diamond pictured is a cushion ring, however the diamond I bought was a round brilliant 1.37c - J - SI2 (6.94 x 6.89 x 4.45). Any advice or opinions on the diamond or setting would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

ring__1_1.jpg

ring__2.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Opinions needed!! Just bought ring for soon to be fiance

Hi. Welcome! Is it a GIA graded stone? That example seems to have the diamond set VERY high.

MrAnon86

Rough_Rock

It does seem very high now that you mention that. Is there something wrong with it being set that high? It is an EGL graded diamond.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MrAnon86|1422391044|3822853 said:
It does seem very high now that you mention that. Is there something wrong with it being set that high? It is an EGL graded diamond.

This is always a tricky thing.

Are you in a return period? If so, you may not want our honest opinoons..... Keep that in mind.

MrAnon86

Rough_Rock

Yes, I am within a return period and I would love to hear your opinions. Good or bad.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the shank and the top down view.
The stone is set very high and she might bang it badly like this. It's more convenient and safer to have it set at medium or low height

Begonia

Ideal_Rock

Lovely setting, but seems delicate though.

Way too high IMO. Oddly so. Maybe they can bring it down?

Can't help you with the diamond bit...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, since you asked, the shank of the ring is pretty, but as everyone has said, the diamond is set too high. That is a recipe for disaster. The stone can more easily get knocked on things meaning it could be chipped or knocked loose from the prongs and lost altogether.

Second problem, EGL is not the most reliable lab, so you really don't know what you are getting. We only recommend GIA Excellent cut or AGS Ideal cut for diamonds. Which EGL lab is it? US, International, etc. Some are worse than others.

My advice probably would be to return the whole thing, come back to PS on Rocky Talky, and let people help you find a great quality diamond and setting. It usually works better if you come here before buying rather than after! ;))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In theory the ring sounds fine, that reverse split shank look is cool. And the diamond sounds big.

But I have concerns about the quality of the setting, quality of the stone, and how high the stone sits.

How much did it cost?

MrAnon86

Rough_Rock

It is an EGL U.S. lab. I've already looked up the report on it. Seems pretty decent for what I paid, but I'm also a noob at buying diamonds.

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock

Looks lovely at first glance, but then I notice how high it is set as well. Looks a bit unusual? Just my 2 cents and I'm sure the seasoned experts on here will provide helpful guidance.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

If you can return it, I would. It sounds like some of the members here can help you find a better stone and I agree that the setting seems flawed in that the diamond is set much too high. Best of luck to you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MrAnon86|1422395301|3822874 said:
It is an EGL U.S. lab. I've already looked up the report on it. Seems pretty decent for what I paid, but I'm also a noob at buying diamonds.
And how much was it? What's the cut grade?

MrAnon86

Rough_Rock

The setting was $1,100 and the diamond was right at $5,000. Here is a list of the characteristics:

DIAMOND CHARACTERISTICS
Cut (Shape and Style) ROUND BRILLIANT
Carat Weight 1.37 CT
Clarity Grade SI2
Color Grade J

PROPORTIONS
Measurements 6.94 x 6.89 x 4.45 mm
Table 59%
Depth 64.4%
Crown Height 16.1%
Crown Angle 38°
Pavilion Depth 43.1%
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
Girdle MEDIUM TO SL. THICK FACETED

OBSERVATIONS
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry VERY GOOD

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Mly opinion is I generally like to see Erings with a color no less than I .. The stones start to reflect yellow when they get to J. Also si2 is okay as long as it is eye clean meaning you can't see if with the naked eye 6-8" away from your face. Finally I also think that the stone is set rather high. Just picture her putting on her jacket, gloves or pulling a wool sweater over her head. Also the stone gets bumped when it is that high up. Much safer closer to the finger.

When looking for stone it should be ideal cut which is 3x

also this stone is way too deep and the crown angle way off. What this means is it wont be as shiny and flashy brillant as you want a diamod to be.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MrAnon86|1422392682|3822859 said:
Yes, I am within a return period and I would love to hear your opinions. Good or bad.

HI:

You've been busy! :appl: Is this a Valentines Day proposal??

While I recognize photography is challenging at best, the setting appears quite delicate. Difficult to get an idea of the quality of the sides stones.

Unfortunately, the cut/proportions of the center diamond you've purchased is not one that I would purchase or recommend.

Outside of my personal opinion, how can PS be of help?

cheers--Sharon

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Like many others here I will say that the setting holds the diamond up way to high for most people's daily wear comfort. Also, that diamond is likely to actually be comparable to a GIA M or possible N color stone with maybe even Il clarity. If that's the case the diamond will certainly show some color from the top and quite a bit from the side in that very exposed setting. The diamond is also very deep and will not look its size at all. You are not getting a good diamond for the price. If you go for quality you will end up with a smaller diamond by weight but it will look so so so much better in all lighting environments.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MrAnon86|1422399301|3822896 said:
The setting was $1,100 and the diamond was right at $5,000. Here is a list of the characteristics:

DIAMOND CHARACTERISTICS
Cut (Shape and Style) ROUND BRILLIANT
Carat Weight 1.37 CT
Clarity Grade SI2
Color Grade J

PROPORTIONS
Table 59%
Depth 64.4%
Crown Height 16.1%
Crown Angle 38°
Pavilion Depth 43.1%
Pavilion Angle 40.8°

OBSERVATIONS
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry VERY GOOD

This is not a well cut stone....

I will say, most likely, as EGL grading is very "loose" compared to GIA grading. What does that mean? That if that same stone was sent to GIA for grading instead of EGL for grading, it most likely would not have come back graded with sich cut, color, and clarity specs. Think of it this way... a gia stone is worth more than an EGL stone with the exact same specs. so why, oh why, would someone get an EGL cert if they could get a GIA cert, unless, the EGL cert comes back making the stone "seem" better.

now color isnt the end of the world, if they graded it a J but its really a K, ok you paid a little too much- but, if you like the color, you like the color, regardless of what color GIA would have graded it, so not the biggest problem.

clarity now, this is already graded low. If you cant see the inclusions, great, but if the clarity is that bad, it might have inclusions that effect the durability of the stone. And plus, an I is a lot less money than a SI2 stone.

cut, thats the important part. Cut is what makes a diamond sparkle. So if you get a stone with a bad cut, regardless of who graded it or what size it is... its not going to sparkle the way a gal dreams about a diamond sparkling. this stone is not well cut. notice the stones depth and LxW. The LxW is the approximate size of a 1.22 stone.

good news is, there are stones in your budget that are graded by strict grading labs, and are well cut, with nice clarity, and a color you seem to be comfortable with.
like this or this one

this website is also having a sale on settings (15% off) so you could get a similar ring with a better cut, nice setting, in your same budget. And you know youre getting what you paid for. Because to be honest, i know you think you got a fair price on the diamond, but as you dont know really what youve got there, you dont know that for certain.

Just something to think about

gixxerbabe

Rough_Rock

Everyone has given great advice so far and I agree with the suggestions. I would return the ring and start a thread in RockyTalky with what you're looking for and your budget. I'm sure the members will be more than happy to help you find a beautiful diamond and setting. Good luck!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with everything already said. Your setting is lovely but delicate and set way too high. I would just like to add that you should take into consideration her lifestyle. If she is a very active girl, she might appreciate something a little more durable. Unless you are sure of what style she would like, I would get a very inexpensive holder setting and let her give you an idea of what she would like. Most every woman has an idea floating around her head about what her dream ring would look like. You have great taste and it's lovely, but she might have a totally different idea in mind.

I would also return the stone and get a GIA or AGS graded stone. $5K, won't buy you the same size but you can get a much better performing stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

luv2sparkle|1422407418|3822978 said:
I agree with everything already said. Your setting is lovely but delicate and set way too high. I would just like to add that you should take into consideration her lifestyle. If she is a very active girl, she might appreciate something a little more durable. Unless you are sure of what style she would like, I would get a very inexpensive holder setting and let her give you an idea of what she would like. Most every woman has an idea floating around her head about what her dream ring would look like. You have great taste and it's lovely, but she might have a totally different idea in mind.

I would also return the stone and get a GIA or AGS graded stone. $5K, won't buy you the same size but you can get a much better performing stone.
That's the thing,drop to a k you can get the same mm size in a well graded,well cut stone for the same price.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MrAnon86|1422399301|3822896 said:
PROPORTIONS
Table 59%
Depth 64.4%
Crown Height 16.1%
Crown Angle 38°
Pavilion Depth 43.1%
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
:-o That is deeper than the Grand Canyon :!:

MrAnon86

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions! They weren't what I was hoping for, but I'm glad I got the truth. I plan on giving the ring to her this weekend and see how she likes it. I'll follow up later.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MrAnon86|1422453864|3823174 said:
Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions! They weren't what I was hoping for, but I'm glad I got the truth. I plan on giving the ring to her this weekend and see how she likes it. I'll follow up later.
Women get attached to the ring used when they are proposed to.

I don't know if that's what you're going for, hoping shell not mind the issue with the ring.

But if you wanted to her the best ring for your dollar I might rethink that.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1422584073|3824177 said:
MrAnon86|1422453864|3823174 said:
Women get attached to the ring used when they are proposed to.

I don't know if that's what you're going for, hoping shell not mind the issue with the ring.

But if you wanted to her the best ring for your dollar I might rethink that.

100% whole heartedly agree. If you want the best diamond bang for your buck, reconsider both the stone and the setting as the other posters have mentioned. Post in Rocky Talky, provide a budget and people will help you find a much more beautiful diamond and safer setting. However, if that is not your top priority, and you just want you gf to be ok/happy with it, since she doesn't know any better anyway, see how it goes this weekend.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results