shape
carat
color
clarity

On her way to Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cadaver

Rough_Rock
41.gif

Date: 12/19/2005 6:08:31 AM
Author: mrssparkles

Hi Dave,

Yes, I am a Singaporean. No, I am not looking for a e-ring (engagement ring, you mean?). I am already a mother of 2
2.gif

I am looking for a loose Heart Shaped diamond to be set in a simple setting as a RHR (Right Hand Ring). I have the option of setting it as a pendant, but my husband thinks a ring would be better, since I can look and admire it. As a pendant, I can''t!
9.gif

No, I do not buy my diamond jewellery from B&M; instead I buy from a friend who is a wholesaler. Yes, customers in Singapore are ripped off by B&M. I am looking in the US now (when I never really had to in all previous occasions, is because I need to widen my scope of search this time around) because I want something special that is not likely to be available in Singapore. My friend will have to source for it from the US anyway! So I thought I might as well have some fun hunting it down myself, and see who finds it first!
31.gif
For myself, I am not even a novice when it comes to diamonds! The previous diamond ring that I bought before this was for my ex from Meyson during my NS days!
21.gif
It is always good to have contacts, especially in stuff of interest. Like myself, I am actually into Horology(watches), know more people certainly gives me more options.

You are so lucky to have this friend. I could have gotten my stone from her through you. But then again, I wouldn''t have met you if I hadn''t got my diamond in the first place!
41.gif

I certainly hope you can find this treasure!(before you friend does!) It''ll be fun!
36.gif

cadaver

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/19/2005 10:07:18 AM
Author: Shay37
It is so beautiful. Congratulations on a job well done. She will love it.

shay
Hey Shay, thanks! I will let you guys know whether she loves it
4.gif
!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I love the ring.
Congratulations!
36.gif

cadaver

Rough_Rock
Hi LM! Thanks a lot!
2.gif

Btw, I just got the ring today, but I couldn''t get a clear macro shot on my digicam. Will wait till Friday - daytime to try to get a shot.

I am bringing it for an appraisal tomorrow.
4.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful classic ring.
30.gif
36.gif

cadaver

Rough_Rock
Thanks dancing fire! I tried taking photo in the afternoon but couldn''t get the focus... damn Olympus...

Anyway, I brought the ring to the appraiser, he commented that the diamond was very beautiful.

He also commented that the diamond is set too high, which I didn''t think much of since he is just a gemologist, doesn''t mean he knows the jewellery fashion trend etc...

However, he did said that the diamond was set a bit too loose, I don''t know if I should bring it to a train "setter" to verify... my big day is just just in a couple of nights...
8.gif

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
If youre going to rush, then its definately best to rush with GOG!

It looks classic!

cadaver

Rough_Rock
Sorry I didn''t update you guys earlier. I proposed on X''mas and she said "Yes!". The following is one of the finer pics I took of the ring with my not-so-fine camera:

PC220076.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! I really like the ring, glad she did too. I like your watch too! If finances permit, I want to get my husband an Omega for his upcoming big birthday. Have you been happy with yours?
I thought with your user name you would be a med student :) I like the creative origin of it!
Did you have to get the stone tightened up or lowered? I am very surprised that rush or no rush, GOG would send out a ring that was not set right. Hope it was straightened out with no problems.

SweetVioletBlue

Rough_Rock
I LOVE it!!! You can never go wrong with a true classic...and I especially love how the stone is shown off all the way down to the culet from the profile view. Just timeless and elegant!

Congrats in advance!

cadaver

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/17/2006 9:56:01 PM
Author: gailrmv
Congratulations! I really like the ring, glad she did too. I like your watch too! If finances permit, I want to get my husband an Omega for his upcoming big birthday. Have you been happy with yours?
I thought with your user name you would be a med student :) I like the creative origin of it!
Did you have to get the stone tightened up or lowered? I am very surprised that rush or no rush, GOG would send out a ring that was not set right. Hope it was straightened out with no problems.
Hi gailrmv! Many thanks to you!

I am actually more of a watch guy rather than a "stone" guy. The Omega that you see in the picture is a 1970s OMEGA Seamaster calibre 1010, 19 jewels. It is signed 8 times, including on the crystal. OMEGA used to make everything in-house then but now that it is owned by SWATCH International, it is not longer so. I also own a modern OMEGA Speedmaster(Calibre 1151). The service provided by OMEGA is good and that is why I have 2 of them. In terms of value, of course vintage pieces retain or increase in value, but the new pieces sold do not really make good investment unless you are buying limited editions, which are also pricier. Since you are getting for your husband, I don''t suppose it is for investment.

I am not a medical student, just a poor Engineer
25.gif
Glad you like my user name.

As for the ring, I had to re-size it ultimately, so I asked the jeweller to check the integrity of the setting. I did not get it set lower as my GF cannot bear leaving it at the jewellers for too long. I think it does look nice and unique, as least in Singapore.
16.gif

cadaveromega.jpg

cadaver

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/17/2006 10:22:09 PM
Author: SweetVioletBlue
I LOVE it!!! You can never go wrong with a true classic...and I especially love how the stone is shown off all the way down to the culet from the profile view. Just timeless and elegant!

Congrats in advance!
Thanks SVB! I guess that is what makes it attractive!
36.gif

brum

Rough_Rock
Hi Cadaver,

Well done for having the balls to go online and get yourself a real deal!
36.gif

I''m from UK, though living in Singapore, and am soon to take the plunge myself.

Emailed GOG last week, but yet to hear back, I''m guessing it''s a holiday period for them.

I''m having my ring made locally though. Felt this way I can get the best of both worlds as labour costs are low here.

Good luck with the big question!

Brum

brum

Rough_Rock
Tim from GOG emailed me today.

Looking forward to the next stage!

cadaver

Rough_Rock
Hi Brum!

The big question, do you mean the proposal?

I proposed on X''mas and she said yes already, now I am getting set for my big day next year.

Trust me, I did a fair lot of research before I decided on buying online, though the last stage was rather hasty.

Where are you planning to set your diamond? Any design in mind? Care to share which diamonds you actually shortlisted?

However, please do note that after you ship the diamond from GOG, you still have to pay 5% of the value for GST. Please add that in your budget.

brum

Rough_Rock
that''ll teach me for scanning through your thread!

sorry!

i''m in contact with tim from gog.

i''ve asked him to go looking for some stones with my specs in mind.

i''m in the market for something around 60 points.

my lady is dinky and i think this will look about perfect on her finger.

i want a hi performing stone, vs1-si1 f with good brilliance,isee2 results.

theres only 1 place i can get all this info!

at the end of the day, the stone has gotta perform before my ladie''s eye, but for me, i want the data too. this is the beauty of online to me.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Cadaver,
thanks for posting the info on your watch. I really like it! Omegas are great.
Congrats on your engagement!
Gail

cadaver

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/19/2006 6:39:44 PM
Author: brum
that''ll teach me for scanning through your thread!

sorry!

i''m in contact with tim from gog.

i''ve asked him to go looking for some stones with my specs in mind.

i''m in the market for something around 60 points.

my lady is dinky and i think this will look about perfect on her finger.

i want a hi performing stone, vs1-si1 f with good brilliance,isee2 results.

theres only 1 place i can get all this info!

at the end of the day, the stone has gotta perform before my ladie''s eye, but for me, i want the data too. this is the beauty of online to me.
Well, I think you are in good hands. Tim will definitely find you something within your specs; if not, he will recommend you something that really performs. The main reason that I bought from him is that he knows his stuff. Imagine going into a S''pore B&M to find that the Sales Person does not know more than you. This is worsen by the fact that he/she does not have enough info to convince you of the stone.

Just ask Tim to furnish whatever visuals you need, he shd be able to come up with somthing.

cadaver

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/19/2006 11:20:30 PM
Author: gailrmv
Cadaver,
thanks for posting the info on your watch. I really like it! Omegas are great.
Congrats on your engagement!
Gail
Hi Gail,

Sorry I just went on blabbering about my OMEGAs
14.gif

I can be abit passionate when I talk about watches, just like some over here when they talk about diamonds.

You can ask me anything about the watches that you are interested and I will try my best to help.

Thanks!

brum

Rough_Rock
hi cadaver,

because of the time difference, i decided to call tim last night.

having reached him, was very suprised to find a comical whisper on the end of the line.

poor guy is stuck in work with laryngitis!

now there''s commitment for ya!

well the ball is now rolling. i''ve given gog around a month, should they require it, to find something no less than 60 points but can go higher to an absolute max of 70. f colour, idealy vs2 but will go 1 up or down. slightly thin to medium girlde and a stone that performs well on the isee2 and briliance scope. i know they''ve heard it all before, but i asked for a real top end performer.

i would rather pay a little higher for a top small stone than go for an average stone of greater carat weight.

they have such a reputation on both forums. i''m looking fwd to seeing what these guys can come up with.

watch this space!

off to bangkok today, hope to chase some work there.

btw, how much was your shipping, not including gst?

and regarding gst, singapore is only 5%, back home i''d be asked to cough up 17.5!

even thailand is higher, i hear 7%.

cheers

cadaver

Rough_Rock
Yeah, he is really committed to help where he can. Especially now when he is not so occupied. When I bought mine, it was just before X''mas, so they are really busy. But he still took time to take photos etc...

What you are looking for seems similiar to what I was looking for, except for the colour which I was prepared to compromise a bit. Mine is a H, but the scintilation and sparkle is so brillant that my fiancee''s colleagues thought that it was a F at least. So for me, it is mainly the "shine". May I ask what is the finger size you are getting?

As for the shipping, they are offering a flat of USD100.

Have fun!
11.gif

brum

Rough_Rock
She''s a 4US I hope as thats what I''ve ordered!

I''m presently in staying with Aom in her apartment in BKK.

She has funny fingers, the middle finger has a smaller knuckle than both her fore and ring finger.

I "borrowed" a ring from Aom after our christmas holiday in Krabi. Accidentaly packed it in my wash-bag!

It measured up 4.25US, so the jeweler and I decided to go one increment lower. This is only something like .25mm off the original diameter, so I''m 90% certain it''ll fit!

Got my CNY bonus last night, so as soon as GOG find the baby, I can have it wing it''s way over here. That is, as soon as I return to Singapore!

cadaver

Rough_Rock
Great you are so conifdent that it''ll fit. I was so worried that it''ll not fit, and it didn''t!

I measured her size using a finger-sizer but guess I was just too gentle. She was complaining that 4.25 was too tight as she have rather big knuckle. I got her a 4.5.

Anyway, it turned out that her tight meant tight on the knuckle when putting the ring on. It was very loose when it went all the way in the finger. When we went to resize the ring, the jeweller measured her finger to be a size 3.5! Not to scare you, just sharing my experience
7.gif

Please do let me know if you manage to find your ring!

brum

Rough_Rock
Mate,

Believe me, I''m concerned about the sizing too! Guess this is part of the process!

My lady''s knuckles are also larger, but I notice she gives a little push to get her rings over the knuckles, so I''m hoping it''ll be ok.

Better to be too big than too small!

I got the ring all sorted, it''s being made down in lwr Delta as we speak.

I''ve gone for a half melee band of 10x .035 pointer H&A and will mount the GOG stone in a low setting using 2 U-prongs.

Will pin it on the board when i get back to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results