shape
carat
color
clarity

New Victor Canera Cathedral Halo with Canera Antique Cushion

Nikolaos

Rough_Rock
Greetings to all at the PS community. Just wanted to share with you some pics of the engagement ring I recently had made by the excellent Victor Canera. About nine months were spent from the time I began casually looking into different ring designs and diamond cuts to having the finished ring in my possession. Considering the speed and efficiency with which Victor worked, once underway, all this time seems almost funny to me in retrospect. But coming to this with no special knowledge, beyond a sense for what is well-made and beautiful and what is not, I had many questions that needed satisfaction before rushing into buying. And for that I owe a partial debt of gratitude to the many knowledgeable posters on these boards.

My fiance-to-be fortunately offered a few general guidelines in choosing her ring, or I may have had some difficulty beginning. She hoped for a ring with a halo, and she preferred square-ish stones to rounds, and platinum/white gold coloring to yellow gold. Beyond these suggestions, she wanted no involvement. This significantly narrowed the possibilities and gave me something to work with. For my part, I wished for a high quality, prominent, reasonably-sized center stone (1 ct or more).

An immediate difficulty I faced was that having a halo meant pave, and a lot of the pave I had seen did not appeal to me. Specifically, the very jagged edges and blobs of metal holding the melee in place struck me as a little ungainly. Could there be an alternative perhaps? Someone who specialized in doing exceptionally fine, artistic pave? It was this quest that led me to Victor. The finished ring was done in "Neo-French" pave - a style that, to my knowledge, only Victor does and which I take to be his personal favorite. This pave is nothing like your standard pave. Each piece of melee is ensconced in perfect tiny architecture and held tightly together so that no intervening metal interrupts the flow of diamonds. The difference is obvious macroscopically, but you really almost need a magnifying glass to appreciate the full artistry of this work.

The shank also presented a dilemma because I was initially interested in a split design, however Victor thought that on a 1+ ct, the split would overwhelm. This was resolved perfectly by going for a cathedral design, in which the shank still rises up to meet the halo, but without splitting. On diamonds in this range, I think the cathedral really looks like an elegant slimmer analog to the split on larger stones. To satisfy me on its appearance, Victor made this beautiful side profile sketch:

sketch-cathedral-halo.jpg

I opted to use a diamond from Victor's own (recently inaugurated) line of stones, the Canera Antique Cushions, a choice I can happily recommend. Although these stones run a little higher than their generic alternatives, the special cut enhances the stones' light reflecting abilities, making for a brighter appearance. Victor provided me with ASET images demonstrating the difference. I felt the extra cost was justified because the stone is really the centerpiece of Victor's rings, and just as a piece of fine art ought to be equal to or better than its frame, so also the diamond with respect to its setting. Also worthy of note, using Victor's line of stones takes 5% off the cost of the setting and expedites the time to completion (about 2 weeks in this case). Pricing seemed reasonable to me considering the nature of this ring.

In regards to Victor himself, I must join the general chorus of approbation. Professional, efficient, knowledgeable... and very patient! It was an absolute pleasure to work with him. He even took time on his weekend to make the above sketch just to keep the ball rolling on the process.

Thanks to all here for the education. The finished ring is everything I had hoped for, and more. Can't wait to present it to her. Hope you enjoy the pics. :))

img_2533_1_0.jpg

img_2546_1.jpg

img_2547_1.jpg

img_2548_1.jpg

img_2549_1.jpg

img_2550_1.jpg

img_2552_1.jpg

Professional photo:

pro2.jpg

Video:
http://youtu.be/okYBWTkLkTA

Specs:
-Cathedral Shank Halo Solitaire in Platinum
-Neo-French Pave throughout
-Single-Cut melee
-1.12ct I-VS2 Canera Antique Cushion, GIA cert.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: New Victor Canera Cathedral Halo with Canera Antique Cus

:love: :love:

Insanely gorgeous!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

It's perfect!!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Truly a remarkable piece! Can't wait to see actual handshots!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

stunning :appl: :love: :love:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

Oh how beautiful!!! I can't wait to see handshots. It's wonderful to finally see the culmination of 9 months :-o of hard work!!!

BaylorSays

Rough_Rock

Oh HUBBA HUBBA!!! PS has made me a luster of pillowy cushions! That is so so gorgeous. :love:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous!!!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

That is very beautiful. :love: Please propose soon and come back with hand shots!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Absolutely gorgeous!!! :love: Doesn't get much nicer than that! :appl:

D

Deactivated member 42515

Beautiful diamond! Beautiful ring! Loving the small table! Congrats! Can't wait for hand shots!

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock

GORGEOUS! Absolutely gorgeous ring, W :love: :love: W.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

It is really gorgeous!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

While the ring is amazing, why does this first post read like a PR statement or advertorial?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It is lovely! Your FI is a luck lady!

justginger

Ideal_Rock

ame|1358860948|3361635 said:
While the ring is amazing, why does this first post read like a PR statement or advertorial?

I must admit, I thought the same thing. I love the new Canera cushions, but this write up is really...ostentatious? Is that the word I want? I can't bring myself to actually think it is a shill, as VC has shining recommendations and I think more highly of him than that - but OP, are you an author by trade? Are you a blurb writer? Food critic? Personal ad writer? You have a way with words, and I sure hope it's earning you an income! :bigsmile:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

When I read it and saw it was this poster's first post I just thought "this is a freaking ad. seriously!"

Nikolaos

Rough_Rock

justginger|1358862981|3361658 said:
ame|1358860948|3361635 said:

I must admit, I thought the same thing. I love the new Canera cushions, but this write up is really...ostentatious? Is that the word I want? I can't bring myself to actually think it is a shill, as VC has shining recommendations and I think more highly of him than that - but OP, are you an author by trade? Are you a blurb writer? Food critic? Personal ad writer? You have a way with words, and I sure hope it's earning you an income! :bigsmile:

LOL. Thanks for the compliment. No, I don't write professionally - prolly just the liberal arts major in me. :tongue: The above was really intended as more of a review.

Anyway, I'm glad everyone likes it! I'll see if I can get some hand shots up here when the time comes...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

its a pretty ring. So the big question has not been formally asked yet? Is there a timeframe for the proposal?

TaterTots

Shiny_Rock

Job well done on this one. Such detail in the setting , perfect for the stone. Can't wait to see this one on the hand.

rochelle

Rough_Rock

Absolutely gorgeous ring and your post was indeed beautifully written. Hope for more of your reviews in the future! I'm in the market for an antique cushion, and I was just wondering how your canera cushion performs against, say, one of GOG's AVCs. I don't assume that you have ever observed an AVC in person, but if you've ever at least seen an AVC in one of their videos, I would be curious of how the two stack up in your estimation.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

:love: WOW! I can't believe I missed this ring!!! that is one STUNNING diamond that VC has used...WOW!!

congratulations on such a gorgeous ring and please DO come back and post some hand shots!! Need to see more of that beauty!!!

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock

Holy gorgeous!! Love this kind of flower-like design with a main diamond inside and other small diamond pieces around!!!

himni

Shiny_Rock

Hand shots! I love it :appl:

kate12345

Rough_Rock

Hand shots please! :)

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful! I love the Canera antique cushion!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results