shape
carat
color
clarity

New Tension Set Rings ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

born2drv

Rough_Rock
Anyone seen these tension set rings?

(this is the link incase you can't click above)
http://www.dyjewels.com/diamonds/diamond_rings/tension_set_rings

Basically they say their rings hold the most tension in the industry (50,000 psi)? I read other places where they say their rings have like 80 or 90lbs of tension. So how does 50,000 psi compare to 80-90lbs force? I guess you have to calculate how much surface area of the diamond is being held to determine their psi rating or vice versa right?

Edit:
By the way, I'm considering getting one of these 2 rings:
DHT11127.JPG

DHT11109A.JPG

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's pretty complicated
28.gif

let's use 1 ct, 5.5 mm princess, 2% girdle, with two sides covered. so l x w: 5.5mm (.02*5.5mm) *2=1.21mm^2=.012 cm^2=.0019 in^2

50 000 psi=x lbs/.0019 in^2
x=95 lbs. Gelin Abaci states they use up to 95 lbs pressure, also.

a round will have less area where the force is applied than a princess (?)

so it is hugely exagerated

born2drv

Rough_Rock
Yest that's very helpful, thank you :)

So what is hugely exagerated in your opinion?

If a round has say 1/2 the surface area of a princess wouldn't it mean the diamond is being subjected to double the stress (per square inch) in order to get 95lb or whatever of force?

Does Gelin Abaci put 95lbs on all their rings or just certain ones? What about smaller stones or round stones with razor thin girdles?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
50,000 psi is a lot of pressure (3.4 atmospheres!) but as you can see, it is not a lot of force.

a 5.5 mm princess has the same area as a 6.2 round (.9 ish carats). But the circumferences would be 22mm vs 19 mm, respectively.

I used a princess for two reasons: the girdle is a straight line, not wavy; and I know one possible way of setting it is that half the girdle is covered, but do not know how much is covered in a round.

Anyway, as you can see, I just picked a random size for a specific shape. If you have less girdle covered, then you must increase the pressure in order to exert the 95 lbs.

http://www.gelinabaci.com/index2.html Under About Us-->Design Process they say they use from 65-95 lbs of pressure [sic]
20.gif
I don't think they do not accept stones with knife edge girdles.

I would say that once past a certain amount, how much pressure is exerted does not matter.

In the first design, the sidestones are angled away from the viewer at a pretty steep an angle, and maybe shallow sidestones would be the way to go (?)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
by the way, are you born2drive or born2derive?

born2drv

Rough_Rock
my username stands for born to drive.... BORN2DRV is the licence plate for my 2006 toyota FJ Cruiser.... I also have another licence plate, INVRLUZ (I never lose) for my 491 horsepower 1988 toyota supra ;-)

born2drv

Rough_Rock
I like the 2nd one (with the pave tubes) but I think the first one would be a safer bet for a ring she would like. She likes modern/contemporary jewelry too but I''m not sure if the second one is her style or not.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
IMHO, I have to say go with the first. I don''t even normally like tension rings, but the first one is awesome! Modern yet classic! So cool! The second one leaves me cold...the center stone isn''t flowing enough into the design, if you know what I mean.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/12/2006 11:05:18 AM
Author: born2drv
my username stands for born to drive.... BORN2DRV is the licence plate for my 2006 toyota FJ Cruiser.... I also have another licence plate, INVRLUZ (I never lose) for my 491 horsepower 1988 toyota supra ;-)
I love the rings you are considering!

Sorry this is OT but I have to ask, How are you liking your FJ? I''m totally in love with it and plan to get one as soon as I finally decide to part with my ''91 Pathfinder [248,000 miles]. It''s Hard to let go of something that is still running perfectly
2.gif
but the FJ seems like a suitable replacement considering my lifestyle and needs.

born2drv

Rough_Rock
I love my FJ - I have a dog and we go to the beach a lot. When I get home I just hose out the inside of the truck. Hopefully one of these days I''ll get a nice boat... that''s also why I bought it, because it can tow up to 6,000lb. Only bad thing is it kind of has large blind spots. Other then that I''m very happy with it :)

As for the ring, I think I''m going to go with the 3-stone ring!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
I love the first setting (3 stone ring).
30.gif

I''ve never seen a tension set ring in a three stone design like that, it''s amazing what they can do!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/12/2006 2:40:22 AM
Author: JulieN
by the way, are you born2drive or born2derive?
Haha the calculation posts were fun. I almost paid attention.

I like the first ring much better...and it is also a safer bet for your GF. It''s modern, streamlined, yet makes a statement. The 2nd one might be a bit "too much," but then again, if you see it in person, it could be a whole different story. There are some rings that I say I wouldn''t like just from pictures, but then when I see it in person..."what was I thinking?! It''s gorgeous!"

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results