shape
carat
color
clarity

New E Ring with Strong Blue Fluorescent Diamond

lovefordiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! The ring is absolutely stunning and think the SBF is fabulous! Loving the "Blue" pics. Congratulations on your engagement!

Frisbeenut

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. The blue fluorescence part has really just added that little bit of extra uniqueness that I wanted...and I am glad that she actually likes it! That was keeping me up at night wondering whether she would love it or cringe as we had never discussed it before (don't think she even knew that diamonds could do this). It has thankfully all worked out...phew! :dance:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring and it looks good on the hand :appl:

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
You did a phenomenal job- the ring is beautiful! Your diamond is gorgeous and I just love the fluorescence. Congratulations on your engagement!

Frisbeenut

Rough_Rock
apacherose|1408660760|3737134 said:
You did a phenomenal job- the ring is beautiful! Your diamond is gorgeous and I just love the fluorescence. Congratulations on your engagement!

Thanks!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I Love love love the cut on your cushion. This cut is fabulous and swoon worthy. Sort of chunky but modern too. I like the setting too. I love the fluorescence and agree that gives the stone a fun duo personality. Enjoy!

EDIT: Sorry, I see the specs on page 1

Frisbeenut

Rough_Rock
moneymeister|1408663811|3737170 said:
I Love love love the cut on your cushion. This cut is fabulous and swoon worthy. Sort of chunky but modern too. I like the setting too. I love the fluorescence and agree that gives the stone a fun duo personality. Enjoy!

EDIT: Sorry, I see the specs on page 1

Thanks for the compliments!

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous! So pretty on her hand :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the stone and the setting! So perfect!

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Frisbeenut|1408574157|3736436 said:
- Blue fluorescence only visible under direct sunlight not shaded sunlight and varies with time of day and amount of haze in the atmosphere. The pictures I show are at noon sun under extremely clear skies. This is as blue as it gets (plus it is likely reflecting some of the blue sky directly back to the observer as well).

*snip*

angle_2_sunlight.jpg

Frisbeenut, let me start by saying that your ring is quite beautiful.

I am also a diamond newbie, but I work with fluorescence in scientific research. In my opinion, if the blue that you're capturing in these photos is fluorescence, you should be seeing a lot of blue in the pavilion in the sideways view. As you know, stones are viewed sideways to evaluate color, because from that angle, there are no reflections to obscure what is truly happening inside the diamond. In the same way, a sideways look into the pavilion should give you the best possible view of any emitted fluorescence (which come from inside the diamond, and generates light that radiates in all directions, including back towards the viewer). What I'm getting at is that if the fluorescence generated by your diamond under sunlight was as strong as your first image suggests, we should also see a deep blue pavilion in that last image.

This is not a critique of your diamond in any way, in fact the large amount of blue coming off the diamond is a direct testament to its extraordinary light return properties (but IMO, due almost entirely to reflections of the blue sky).

I only bring this up because, as you noted in your original post, there is a lot of confusion about fluorescence-- even on PS. I've seen several new diamond owners here who have purchased a non-fluorescent diamond (because that's what they wanted), and who became worried and concerned because their diamonds looked blue under a blue sky. I even saw someone who ended up returning a beautifully cut, bright diamond (which reflected a ton of blue sky on a sunny day), for what seemed to me to be a worse-performing diamond that was not returning any blue-sky light on sunny days. ;(

So I'm hoping that some experts will either confirm my suspicions, or correct me if I'm wrong. There is too much misinformation out there about fluorescence, and it can sometimes have sad consequences.

Frisbeenut

Rough_Rock
drk14|1409343591|3741636 said:
Frisbeenut|1408574157|3736436 said:
- Blue fluorescence only visible under direct sunlight not shaded sunlight and varies with time of day and amount of haze in the atmosphere. The pictures I show are at noon sun under extremely clear skies. This is as blue as it gets (plus it is likely reflecting some of the blue sky directly back to the observer as well).

*snip*

angle_2_sunlight.jpg

Frisbeenut, let me start by saying that your ring is quite beautiful.

I am also a diamond newbie, but I work with fluorescence in scientific research. In my opinion, if the blue that you're capturing in these photos is fluorescence, you should be seeing a lot of blue in the pavilion in the sideways view. As you know, stones are viewed sideways to evaluate color, because from that angle, there are no reflections to obscure what is truly happening inside the diamond. In the same way, a sideways look into the pavilion should give you the best possible view of any emitted fluorescence (which come from inside the diamond, and generates light that radiates in all directions, including back towards the viewer). What I'm getting at is that if the fluorescence generated by your diamond under sunlight was as strong as your first image suggests, we should also see a deep blue pavilion in that last image.

This is not a critique of your diamond in any way, in fact the large amount of blue coming off the diamond is a direct testament to its extraordinary light return properties (but IMO, due almost entirely to reflections of the blue sky).

Thank you for your great reply. I really had not spent a lot of time with the ring (it's now on my fiancées hand and she currently does not live with me...this will change in 2 months...but I have been thinking the same thing the more I analyze the photos (like many here even though I have purchased the ring and she and I are very happy with it, I can't help but keep reading these forums!). But I think you are absolutely right, the side view is the truer representation of the blue fluorescence...it actually looks more purple than blue especially in the photos. The deep blue in the top down view I do think comes from the light return from the pavilion mains and that it is a bit misleading the top down view. I did comment initially that I thought that part of the blue was from the sky reflection but now I am more in your camp and think the majority of the blue is from the sky reflection with the fluorescence contributing the minor portion. I really do want my photos to give people here on PS a good and fair representation of what a strong blue Fluor looks like and that one should not immediately fear the descriptor as in reality it may not negatively affect the beauty of the diamond at all. As many people have commented and linked to the 1997 GIA fluorescence study, one is very unlikely to find the hazy blue phenomenon due to fluorescence than not. In fact I went ahead with this diamond based in part on the nature of the defects that were outlined in the GIA grading report, as others have mentioned and I tend agree with them (though based on no hard data only general insight) that twinning and cloud defects if very prevalent may contribute to haziness under fluorescence due to internal scattering of the fluorescence light by those defects. I think of it like seeing a beam of sunlight due to scatter off of dust particles in the air, though I have not really given a lot of thought to whether the size scales of cloud and twinning defects in a diamond would be similar to say dust. With that said as with any diamond, you need to see it in person the make the call.

Really appreciate the comment and feedback.

I only bring this up because, as you noted in your original post, there is a lot of confusion about fluorescence-- even on PS. I've seen several new diamond owners here who have purchased a non-fluorescent diamond (because that's what they wanted), and who became worried and concerned because their diamonds looked blue under a blue sky. I even saw someone who ended up returning a beautifully cut, bright diamond (which reflected a ton of blue sky on a sunny day), for what seemed to me to be a worse-performing diamond that was not returning any blue-sky light on sunny days. ;(

So I'm hoping that some experts will either confirm my suspicions, or correct me if I'm wrong. There is too much misinformation out there about fluorescence, and it can sometimes have sad consequences.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is just stunning!! Its soooo sparkly! Alright, I have to go clean my ring now :doh:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring. It looks so pretty on her hand!

Frisbeenut

Rough_Rock
TruLuv858|1409354521|3741742 said:
Your ring is just stunning!! Its soooo sparkly! Alright, I have to go clean my ring now :doh:
Thank you. She thinks so too!

Frisbeenut

Rough_Rock
Calliecake|1409364944|3741816 said:
Beautiful ring. It looks so pretty on her hand!
Than you!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
A simply gorgeous ring. This thread has also expanded my knowledge of Flourescence. I have a D coloured diamond with no fluorescence but in the sun it can turn blue. It had me wondering but I think it may be that it's a very white diamond to begin with which might mean that it reflects the blue (very blue skies here in Australia) from the sky even more.

Frisbeenut

Rough_Rock
Polished|1409370870|3741876 said:
A simply gorgeous ring. This thread has also expanded my knowledge of Flourescence. I have a D coloured diamond with no fluorescence but in the sun it can turn blue. It had me wondering but I think it may be that it's a very white diamond to begin with which might mean that it reflects the blue (very blue skies here in Australia) from the sky even more.

Thank you for the compliment. I do think I agree with you that reflection of the sky in a well cut diamond can be the primary contributor for the type of blue a number of people report, including mine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results