shape
carat
color
clarity

NEVER LET YOUR SOLITARE STAND ALONG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abe2ooo

Rough_Rock
I THINK IF YOU WANT TO BE UP TO DATE IN CHOSING AN ENGAGEMENT RING THEN YOU
NEED TO CONSIDER BUYING A COMPLETE PACKAGE RATHER THAN A LONE SOLITARE.
YOU CAN HAVE THE MOST BEUTIFUL STONE BUT IF ITS NOT PACKAGED RIGHT THEN
NOTHING IN THE WORLD IS GOING TO MAKE YOU FEEL THAT "WOW" EFFECT.
DE-BEERS HAS BEEN PROMOTING THAT FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS AND IT KNOWS WHAT ITS
TALKING ABOUT.EVERY SERIOUS HIGH END JEWELERY MANUFACTURER PROMOTES A SOLITARE WITH SIDE STONES.
THE TRICK IS TO FIND THE SIDE STONES THAT FIT YOU CENTER PERFECTLY
IT WOULD BE GREAT IF WE CAN COLLECT INFO ON COMPANIES THAT PROVIDE SIDE STONES AND PICTURES OF RINGS WITH SIDE STONES.

holdendog

Rough_Rock
of course Debeers is promoting it, they're trying to sell more diamonds.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
that's ridiculous. there is nothing more of a statement than a lone, impressive solitaire. It is what's called a CLASSIC. Furthermore, imho, it's the center stone that gets the bulk of the attention. A nice setting is a good thing, but the stone is more important.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
case in point (let's see if this works)..

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/lucida.asp?

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I don't care what DeBeers thinks or promotes or what trend I should follow.

Up_to_something.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Two words... Caps Lock.

Please use it.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree w/moremoremore. Why wouldn't a classic well cut beautiful solitaire be considered "packaged right." I have a solitaire and wanted sidestones at first, but my fiance thought the solitaire style looked very nice on its own. And now that I have the ring, I have to agree. There is nothing wrong with 3-stone rings (I still like them and will get one), but the solitaire is classic - no matter the size of the center stone.
Luv

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
It's a matter of personal preference. For me simplicity is better AND more comfortable.

dsi2131.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...rolling re: caps lock.....

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
BEAUTIFUL!!!!
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I wanted a ring with sidestones, and now I gasp in horror when I think of putting trilliants or anything esle near my lovely rock which took us 3 months and so many heart aches to find. Ruin my baby with "extra sparkle" NO WAY!!
nono.gif

NY SPARKLE

Rough_Rock
The only thing you need is a great cut to WOW you. Anything else is just some company...coughdebeerscoughcough...blowing a lot of smoke up an unsuspecting buyers @**. Solitares are gorgeous as well as some 3 stone rings I have seen. But whatever you choose don't let it be chosen because some co. told you it was the best choice. What year has a solitare ever been out of date abe2oooo?
wink2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I will agree though, that a three stone ring is beautiful. I love them b/c you don't have to wear a band and you still get the bling! OYE, but I dream of a 3 carat flanders on a thin plat band and a nice big diamond wedding band!
1.gif
There is something about the solitaire!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
geez i can't spell!

solange

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 4/6/2004 9:09:38 AM moremoremore wrote:

I agree. I have been looking at rings at Tiffany's to get ideas for a ring I am planning. Some of their most magnificent diamonds are set in their own designed settings with no side stones--such as the Lucida. DeBeers also says "Diamonds are Forever."A diamond is not an investment or something you trade in,like a car, when it is outdated. It usually represents something very special in your life. If the center stone is very beautiful it can stand alone. Or you can have side stones because you prefer it that way and not because De Beers says so this year.

"EVERY SERIOUS HIGH END JEWELERY MANUFACTURER PROMOTES A SOLITARE WITH SIDE STONES." I guess Tiffany's is not high end because many of their large ads feature solitaires with no side stones.

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
I think this post was just someone trying to spark a rise out of everyone. Since he/she hasn't even responded to any of the comments.
11.gif

Marriahlyn, your rings are gorgeous!!!!
appl.gif
Have you posted them before?

I believe its a personal preference w/ regard to sidestones...everyone is different. But, to say that a solitare is outdated...thats just bologna.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Bologna!

9.gif

Yeah, Marilahn (sp?) your rings are gorgeous.

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I also agree that a solitare is da bomb. Ofcourse, it is just a preference. One dimaond for one woman, one man, one union, etc. Three stones for past, present, future? Catchy and very effective marketing. I wonder what the next magic number will be that is conjured up by Debeers? Perhaps 4 stones for past, present, future, and eternity. Hey I like that.... perhaps the average cost of a diadmond ring can go up by another 15%.

solange

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 4/6/2004 9:50:54 AM marriahlyn wrote:

It's a matter of personal preference. For me simplicity is better AND more comfortable.&nb

Your rings are lovely. I would love to see side views of the settings.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This sounds like a god campaign for selling small diamonds of odd shapes that could have never been cut in one of the traditional shapes. Shallow, not very impressive, oddly shaped stuff.

Somehow, not all trillions, trielles and baguettes look like the digital simmulation on adiamondisforever.com. At elast a word of warning that 30% deep trillions do not look like a section of your average ideal cut round would be usefull.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Nicrez, that's exactly how I feel. At first I thought that I wanted more, but then I decided to go with an SC. I was afraid that I would not be able to find side stones that would "live up" to my diamond. Well, none that I could afford anyway.
nono.gif
Jewelry budget gone.
9.gif
Anyway, that's one of my reasons for liking solitaires.

Shay

abe2ooo

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 4/6/2004 11:14:48 AM solange wrote:

----------------
On 4/6/2004 9:09:38 AM moremoremore wrote:

I agree. I have been looking at rings at Tiffany's to get ideas for a ring I am planning. Some of their most magnificent diamonds are set in their own designed settings with no side stones--such as the Lucida. DeBeers also says 'Diamonds are Forever.'A diamond is not an investment or something you trade in,like a car, when it is outdated. It usually represents something very special in your life. If the center stone is very beautiful it can stand alone. Or you can have side stones because you prefer it that way and not because De Beers says so this year.

'EVERY SERIOUS HIGH END JEWELERY MANUFACTURER PROMOTES A SOLITARE WITH SIDE STONES.' I guess Tiffany's is not high end because many of their large ads feature solitaires with no side stones.
----------------

sorry about the caps
as to tiffany being a jewelery manufacturer.
tiffany is a retailer,
what i was refering to was designers like michael beaudry, martin flyer, tacori, coast diamonds,primax, if you look in town and country, robbs report and almost any bridal magazine what you see is solitares with side stones.

abe2ooo

Rough_Rock
all i was trying to do is create an interest in side stones,which you are right are very hard to find, in order build a database for people who are
interested in side stones. this will benefit i think all our members in the future.their is nothing wrong with people doing things together

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/6/2004 2:16:33 AM abe2ooo wrote:

I THINK IF YOU WANT TO BE UP TO DATE IN CHOSING AN ENGAGEMENT RING THEN YOU
NEED TO CONSIDER BUYING A COMPLETE PACKAGE RATHER THAN A LONE SOLITARE.
YOU CAN HAVE THE MOST BEUTIFUL STONE BUT IF ITS NOT PACKAGED RIGHT THEN
NOTHING IN THE WORLD IS GOING TO MAKE YOU FEEL THAT 'WOW' EFFECT.
DE-BEERS HAS BEEN PROMOTING THAT FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS AND IT KNOWS WHAT ITS
TALKING ABOUT.EVERY SERIOUS HIGH END JEWELERY MANUFACTURER PROMOTES A SOLITARE WITH SIDE STONES.
THE TRICK IS TO FIND THE SIDE STONES THAT FIT YOU CENTER PERFECTLY
IT WOULD BE GREAT IF WE CAN COLLECT INFO ON COMPANIES THAT PROVIDE SIDE STONES AND PICTURES OF RINGS WITH SIDE STONES. ----------------

I think the above statement to be SO FALSE... Why? Because if you FOUND the perfect stone, why would you want anything to detract from it?!

Like if you found a rare brown afircan rose, would you want that to sit alone in a bud vase, or mix it in with all different colored roses.

Sometimes things need to be serperated to be appreciated. I would never need to ADD to something if it's already perfect. It's generally called overkill, just like an elegant woman who wears a lovely large pendant to the oscars and simple earrings, versus a large pendant, large earrings, and chunky bracelets.

It's all a matter of tastes, but simplicity and elegance have a long history together, not you, Robb Report, or Town and Country will make me believe that a solitaire that is tastefully set is anything less than a overjacked, overdone sidestone setting I have seen TOO MANY New York city women wear. Just because it's a trend doesn't mean it's good...Look at Arrow Collars from the 70's.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
THOSE ARROW COLLARS WILL BE BACK IN STYLE ANY DAY NOW!

...Sorry, couldn't help myself.
2.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't have any pre-concieved ideas about what my engagement ring would look like (in terms of setting) nor did I perceive any symbolism in a solitaire vs. 3 stone or 5 stone, whatever.

But now that we have the selection process behind us, I daresay it was challenging to come to agreement on the ring.

The single stone in a simple setting DOES turn out to be symbolic for us.

By the time we had the ring figured out, I don't know about him, but I was done!

To recap, we started off with him insisting on an e-ring when I wanted none, then me trying to pay for half (so I could control the process, I admit) then me doing lots of research as fast as I could to feed info to him (& to keep him from springing a surprise on me) persuading him NOT to put trust in a Tiffany's or high-end B&M.

In the end, we had some laughs and it all worked out super-sweet, with me getting a ring I love (well, it's still in process, but it's coming).

I guess it's a lot easier for some people... but I'm a little set in my ways and, well, maybe just little high maintenance.

He seems to like me this way, though.

So just back off on those side-stones.

Too much drama!

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Queens here Nicrez. The hubby works in NYC. I work on the Island b/c I'm not a city gal! I think there are a lot of NYC people here!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
poor abe....will you ever post here again?
1.gif
I think it was more the way you said it than what you said.
1.gif
And if you'd like to buy me a ring with side stones, I'd gladly accept!
9.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Another NYer! I actually work in NYC, and the only redeemable thing is working across the street from the DIAMOND District...
love.gif
naughty.gif

Other than that it can get noisey, pricey, full of the world's slowest and picture crazy tourists. Try having an hour for lunch and trying to run errands with gaggles of picture-taking, sidewalk hogging, walking in groups of twelve tourists and teens! OY! Luckily things are close enough generally to get something out to the post office, pick up some thing at a store, get some cash, buy lunch, and drop off shoes to get resoled...Sometimes it's lunch on the run! (but NEVER dirty water dogs!) Yuck.

Poor Abe, he didn't sign up to be offering to GIVE AWAY rings with sidestones, but hey, I'll sign up for one too!!!
love.gif
naughty.gif
11.gif
I just think it's like someone coming in here saying the trend is Lozenge shaped e-stones, and everyone should ditch round stones for lozenge shaped stones...Maybe they are better, but you can't mess with a classic. The rest is just taste.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I am a little too slow paced for the city...I get stepped on...lol! Queens ain't much better....but it'll do. I'm a true suffolk county gal til the day I die! Hubby worked in mid town where it was crazy, but his part of the company moved to the meat-packing district... b/c they die to be 'trendy'... He did see Jodi Foster while at lunch this week...she keeps her kid on a leash which apparently cracked him up....LOL....HMMMMM- working near the diamond district MIGHT be an incentive for me to get a job in the city!!!! I'd have no pay check though!
1.gif
Where are you guys getting married????!!!!! I got married in Westchester....I could DEFINITELY deal with living in Westchester!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results