shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help picking between 2 Erika Winters settings!

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I am pretty new to this forum because I admit.. diamonds really aren't my thing. I tend to fall head over heels for settings rather than stones. My SO and I have been together for almost 6 years, and just barely escaped from an engagement ring fiasco. I posted about it in the RockyTalky section. Long story short, we received a really poorly made ring and were lucky enough to get a refund from a jeweler who doesn't offer refunds.

We are on a pretty strict $2,500 budget, but plan on saving for a bit longer so that we can stretch that. Right now I am obsessed with the Erika Winters Jin setting in rose gold. We would get it with a much smaller stone, and Erika said we could scale down the bezel and use a more simplified underside.

http://www.erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Jin-Solitaire.html#.VUQ0wWRViko

My SO really loves her Laurel setting with a plain band rather than pave. Either in rose gold or platinum. I really adore the Jin, but the Laurel is gorgeous as well and each have their pros and cons. I love the bold but soft nature of the Jin with delicate milgrain. I also love the classic look of the Laurel. Solitaires never really go out of style.

http://www.erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Laurel-Solitaire.html#.VUQwymRViko

Obviously the settings alone exceed our budget and that is without a stone. We will be choosing an alternate stone, and I know this forum is all about diamond. So, I will just focus on the setting. Plus, I know Erika is really highly regarded here so I figure this is a perfect place to talk settings!

I CAN'T CHOOSE!

So, what do you all think? I rarely wear jewelry so would love some of your expert opinions.

ddbann

Rough_Rock
I LOVE the Laurel! Simple, classic and elegant . . . :)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Laurel too, with or without pave. Classic. Elegant. You could wear it with a band. More "engagementy" looking. The Jin is beautiful too but it might be harder to pair with a band. I would like Jin as a nice right hand ring and the Laurel for my left hand.

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
Yeah, the Laurel definitely has more of an engagement ring feel to it. I'm not really traditional so I can't say that is a huge thing for me but it would be easier to pair with a band. Plus, I really like that my SO loves it! He is generally so impartial that it is nice to hear him say he loves something. He generally just says that if I love it then that's the one, but I obviously want him to have some emotional response to my engagement ring!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
They are both winners. I love her work, as well. You seem to favor the Jin. But you also said you are not usually wearing jewelry. My suggestion is to try on some solitaire settings to see your response. You won't be seeing the exact same ring of course, but it should help you decide. I do really like both and thnk either can work as an engagement ring. I've seen non-jewelry wearing friends chose either a solitaire or a rather unexpected setting like the Jin. In the solitaire case, the women tend to be very simple in their approach to clothing, mostly jeans and practical things, whereas the others who favor the more unexpected design have less clothing, too, but what they wear tends to be more atypical or slightly edgy in some way. I hope somehow this does help. And if you are game, there are fun engagemrnt ring type quizzes on the Internet.

Have fun and enjoy the ride of decision-making!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me it would totally depend on the size of the stone. If you are going with a smaller stone, then the Jin would be perfect to add some size! But I really like the Laurel best for stones maybe of a carat or more.

But bottom line, please get what YOU like best! You are the wearer and not your SO (or us)!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love the Laurel... classy and yet edgy at the same time, and how the design really hugs and wraps around the center stone. I really considered resetting my (now sold) antique cushion in it last year, but alas it wasn't meant to be (I ended up going whiter and smaller for my new diamond). However, I will be getting a custom e-ring from Erika this year :)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an easy decision! Both are fabulous. The Jin really showcases the beautiful finishes EW is using... And covers more real estate! You can't make a bad decision...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jin is amazing. And more obvious to other viewers. In other words, the laurel without pave will look a lot like a typical solitaire from arms length... Not the jin!

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1430544498|3870974 said:
To me it would totally depend on the size of the stone. If you are going with a smaller stone, then the Jin would be perfect to add some size! But I really like the Laurel best for stones maybe of a carat or more.

But bottom line, please get what YOU like best! You are the wearer and not your SO (or us)!

Yeah, we will be between a .75 and 1 carat stone so I think it would work for either. I love that Erika would customize the jin to scale down the bezel to fit a smaller stone and change the underside to be more simplified. I think it would be really stunning and bold even with a small stone.

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
Mayk|1430567584|3871073 said:
Not an easy decision! Both are fabulous. The Jin really showcases the beautiful finishes EW is using... And covers more real estate! You can't make a bad decision...

I agree! I think it has the best of all of my favorite settings. Solitaire, bezel, milgrain. I love the brushed finish. It's really just so stunning.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for Jin. Particularly with a smaller stone. The Laurel is beautiful, but I think the details could get lost in a small size and it will look like a typical solitaire, while the Jin will help a small stone look more substantial and will still look like something unique and special. But you can't go wrong with either! Get what you love.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think you might whatever stone you'll be getting now will be your "forever" stone, or do you expect to swap it out for something else in the future? I ask because 1) I think the Lauren will accept a wider range of stones than the Jin, should you put in a new stone in the future, but 2) the Jin is probably the setting to go with if your emphasis is more on the setting than what's in it.

BTW if you're considering a colored stone for the center, one particularly memorable PS ER was set with taafeite:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...s-center-stone-for-e-ring-pricing-help.98228/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-the-taaffeite-e-ring.106815/

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
VRBeauty|1430582522|3871178 said:
Do you think you might whatever stone you'll be getting now will be your "forever" stone, or do you expect to swap it out for something else in the future? I ask because 1) I think the Lauren will accept a wider range of stones than the Jin, should you put in a new stone in the future, but 2) the Jin is probably the setting to go with if your emphasis is more on the setting than what's in it.

BTW if you're considering a colored stone for the center, one particularly memorable PS ER was set with taafeite:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...s-center-stone-for-e-ring-pricing-help.98228/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-the-taaffeite-e-ring.106815/

At this moment I don't have plans to upgrade in the future. I have small hands and don't really want a large stone, especially with the Jin. The setting is as show stopping as a stone would be!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say get the one you want...you will be the one wearing it!

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
I don't have as much experience as the others but I do agree that while the Laurel is beautiful, most of the action is below the stone. The Jin, to me, is a perfect vessel to show off the stone in such a beautiful way. I adore the milgrain and the brushed gold. It looks so warm and interesting and makes me happy to look at it. Disclaimer: I LOVE the Jin, well before this discussion started! Also, I am not one who would upgrade. If you do decide later to get a diamond that looks more traditionally like an E ring the Jin would look beautiful as a RHR.

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
lilysweet|1430590816|3871231 said:
I don't have as much experience as the others but I do agree that while the Laurel is beautiful, most of the action is below the stone. The Jin, to me, is a perfect vessel to show off the stone in such a beautiful way. I adore the milgrain and the brushed gold. It looks so warm and interesting and makes me happy to look at it. Disclaimer: I LOVE the Jin, well before this discussion started! Also, I am not one who would upgrade. If you do decide later to get a diamond that looks more traditionally like an E ring the Jin would look beautiful as a RHR.

Yes I agree with all of that! My ONLY hangup with the Jin is that it doesn't look like a "traditional" engagement ring. I don't think that bothers me, I am in no way a traditional bride-to-be. I am also SO indecisive so I worry how I will feel about not having a traditional ring in 30 years. Silly, I know. But this is the life of someone with an obsessive mind!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Only you can know whether you will be bothered by having a less traditional setting - but if it's any help, I have a number of friends with non-traditional rings and none of them have been unhappy with them. And I intended to get a nontraditional ring myself until it turned out my husband had a family diamond he wanted to use...

I think the idea that you could make it a RHR later on if you decided you wanted a bigger or more traditional ring is a great idea. But I would trust your gut and go with the Jin now, since it seems like it speaks to you.

One last thing to consider: If there is any way to try one - or something similar shape - in advance, I would. I love the look of a lot of things on others that just don't look right to me on my own hand, and it surprised me a lot what I liked on me when I finally tried a bunch of settings on.

You really can't go wrong either way. They are both GORGEOUS. I love her pieces and I have been drooling over her hands for weeks, debating which one to go with.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both beautiful rings. I love the Laurel but I am also a solitare girl. I also agree 100 percent with Diamondseeker. Your opinion is the only one that really matters. You need to look down at your ring and fall in love every time you see it. Please don't let anyone sway you.

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
Calliecake|1430605680|3871307 said:
They are both beautiful rings. I love the Laurel but I am also a solitare girl. I also agree 100 percent with Diamondseeker. Your opinion is the only one that really matters. You need to look down at your ring and fall in love every time you see it. Please don't let anyone sway you.

You're so right. I have tried on solitaires and while I do love them and would be happy wearing one, I just don't know if they are me! The Jin really has my heart right now.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
You can't go ring with either setting. I love the Laurel, but I am a solitaire girl. The swoopy, delicate details on the Laurel would please me to no end. The Jin is stunning, bold and soft at the same time. I think the Jin would be gorgeous as an engagement ring.

I can't wait to see which one you decide to go with! You have narrowed it down to two spectacular styles.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Midwest Gal, If the Jin has your heart, that is the ring you need to get. I seriously doubt you will regret it. I wear my engagment ring with no wedding band. I also live in the Midwest. Most people wear a wedding band in the Midwest. I wear a pear shaped diamond with baguette side stones, no wedding band I have tried wedding bands on and to me I like the single ring best on my finger. Get what makes you happy. Don't try to talk yourself into something that doesn't grab your heart because it's a traditional look. If you do, you will constantly think of the Jin and wish you had listened to your heart.

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
I think you sound like you prefer the Jin. Erika's halos are amazing -- I have her original Iris, and I love it (and was not at all a jewelry person until this forum, ha ha ha). I also love my solitaire, but I agree with the prior posters that if I had a small stone, I wouldn't see the point of setting it in an EW solitaire. I think the Jin halo sounds perfect for you.

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
Calliecake|1430621969|3871403 said:
Midwest Gal, If the Jin has your heart, that is the ring you need to get. I seriously doubt you will regret it. I wear my engagment ring with no wedding band. I also live in the Midwest. Most people wear a wedding band in the Midwest. I wear a pear shaped diamond with baguette side stones, no wedding band I have tried wedding bands on and to me I like the single ring best on my finger. Get what makes you happy. Don't try to talk yourself into something that doesn't grab your heart because it's a traditional look. If you do, you will constantly think of the Jin and wish you had listened to your heart.

Yeah honestly I haven't really ever imagined myself wearing an engagement ring and band at the same time. If I want a wedding band I would probably wear it alone. You're right, I have never been traditional or done things in a traditional way so I don't know why I would start now!

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
HegemonyCricket|1430622126|3871404 said:
I think you sound like you prefer the Jin. Erika's halos are amazing -- I have her original Iris, and I love it (and was not at all a jewelry person until this forum, ha ha ha). I also love my solitaire, but I agree with the prior posters that if I had a small stone, I wouldn't see the point of setting it in an EW solitaire. I think the Jin halo sounds perfect for you.

Her Iris is SO gorgeous. I would love to see a picture of yours! And I do think the Jin is the one!

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely the Jin. I saw your previous experience on Etsy, but I'm glad that worked out in your favor! I personally prefer the simplicity of the Jin. It would make a great RHR as well, if you decide to go with a traditional wedding band.

EW's work is hand forged, correct? I would assume this justifies the higher price tag on her pieces?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi MidWestGal :wavey:

I think you've answered your own question. You've said that you're 'not a traditional girl, so why would you start now'? I think the Jin still looks like an engagement ring - but with a lovely twist. You also said it has your heart. That's pretty decisive in my book! Something you love which is unique for a non-traditional girl. Sounds about perfect. :)

Gorgeous ring choice, too - you'll be catching everyone's eye! Do consider an old cut or a Good Old Gold AVR when the time comes to choose a diamond - those broad flashes would look perfect with the more muted look of the brushed finish. YUM! :love:

Good luck!

ETA I know you said you wouldn't be going with a diamond initially. But if the day comes when you'd like a diamond in the middle, an Old European cut (as per Erika's photo) would look killer!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Jin, hands down. Sooooo beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results