shape
carat
color
clarity

My visit to Whiteflash

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Everyone!

Well I spent the day literally at Whiteflash, only coming home for a few minutes before heading back over there. I wanted to give my fellow PSers an eyewitness report. First, I was with Brian Gavin for the whole day. He is amazing. He really, really knows his stuff and he is very funny, and very witty. I really enjoyed talking with Brian. He also shared with me the famous ACA''s. Well, can I just tell you, in a word, these diamonds are spectacular. I don''t care if you are talking about .01 pointers, or .50 carat or 1.00 carat or 3.00 carat, they are just simply exquisite and as nice, if not nicer, than any RB I have seen at Tiffany. And you know coming from me, that is saying something. They are just incredible.

Many of you know that my diamond is not an ACA diamond but Brian assured me that it is beautiful. (Can I tell you though, that compared to the ACA''s, my diamond simply was not as beautiful. It means a great deal to me for sentimental reasons, but boy can you tell the difference. And my diamond is really pretty, so I can only imagine the typical diamond compared to these ACA''s. But I digress...)

Back to WF. I was there because I am going to reset my diamond. The prongs are crooked and just completely out of whack for the stone. Brian suggested a combination of age and poor execution on the prongs had created the problem, but it is in need of urgent fixing. Of course, those of you who have been sweet enough to correspond with me about my diamond know that what I really want to do is upgrade that baby, and I can tell you that I, without question, even if I have $50K to spend, will absolutely go to WF for that diamond. No kidding. Brian is simply incredible and I have never, ever seen RBs that look like his ACA''s. Never.

But for now, the 2.00 or 2.5 carat upgrade is out of the question. Before taxes, my new Legacy ring cost well north of $15K, and that same month I got a trip to Lanai and Maui for my birthday. So that isn''t happening. But I got a chance to see almost EVERY single WF ring that Brian makes regularly. The craftsmanship is superb. (I know some of you may be wondering, "Did Brian pay her to say this? Did he give her a discount?" The answer is NO to both questions, including, unfortunately the part about the discount. LOL Brian reminds me of Charles Lewis Tiffany, the founder of Tiffany. I mean it. He has the same POV that Tiffany had when he first opened the doors to his NY store. And that attitude was simply this: "Create jewelry that is exquisite and set a price that is fair for what the customer is getting. And then leave it. No haggling. No dickering over nickels and dimes. It is what it is and if you think you can get that quality elsewhere, good luck." And I have to say, as to quality, the workmanship speaks for itself.

Here is what I saw:

Legato, Tiffany knife edge plain and with pave diamonds, W Prong in platinum, W Prong in 18K yellow gold, W prong in rose gold, Rhapsody, round halo, U-Prong champagne ring, sleek line, half bezel set (the true love line), and many, many others. They were ALL handmade, custom for the stone and all INCREDIBLE. It was hard to narrow down the choice.

So, for those of you who are considering WF, and wondering if the ACA''s can compare with Tiffany or Cartier, the answer is YES, they do that, and more. They are spectacular. And if you are wondering if the craftsmanship of the rings is as it looks on the website, I can tell you the answer is YES. It is the same level of quality and attention to detail, with each ring made by hand for the stone. WF is a special company and Brian Gavin is the soul of that company. I felt lucky to spend the day with him, and I look forward to picking my new setting to get me to my 15th anniversary 4.5 years from now. LOL Feel free to ask me any questions you have about my experience there and I will do the best I can to answer them.

XXOOXX

Isabelle

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
You''re welcome! I can''t wait to get my new setting chosen and have Brian work his magic on my old diamond. I''ll be sure to post pics once I get it all sorted out.

Then, in five years from now, I can upgrade the whole thing, including the rock...and at that time, well,one of those ACA''s will be MINE. LOL
31.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 10:51:55 PM
Author: IronMikey
Brian...is that you?

J/K, thanks for the great info!
LOL! I knew someone would say that. :)

tevyk

Rough_Rock
Hey Isabelle --

I'm SO jealous of you being able to make a trip out to Whiteflash! Next time I find myself in Houston...

So I'm presently trying to decide between two of their 3-stone settings for my GF's (surprise) engagement ring: the 'Trois Brillant' and the 3-stone trellis.

If you saw either/both of these ... any thoughts or comments? One of my big concerns is that the band on the trellis might be a bit too thick (ETA: wide. it's 4mm wide compared to 2.5 for the trois brillant) for the 'dainty/delicate' look I think my GF would prefer. I'd love to hear your opinion!

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 11:04:46 PM
Author: tevyk
Hey Isabelle --

I''m SO jealous of you being able to make a trip out to Whiteflash! Next time I find myself in Houston...

So I''m presently trying to decide between two of their 3-stone settings for my GF''s (surprise) engagement ring: the ''Trois Brillant'' and the 3-stone trellis.

If you saw either/both of these ... any thoughts or comments? One of my big concerns is that the band on the trellis might be a bit too thick (ETA: wide. it''s 4mm wide compared to 2.5 for the trois brillant) for the ''dainty/delicate'' look I think my GF would prefer. I''d love to hear your opinion!

Hello there. I would get the trellis b/c the W prong is incredible. But yes, it is thicker. I am probably going back there tomorrow so I will ask to see both in person and let you know my thoughts. I thought I wanted a super thin shank when I walked in...until I tried on the W prong. Wow, that is an amazing ring. My current ering is the thinnest shank you can imagine. It was what I wanted. Now I am pretty sure I am going in the opposite direction. The thicker shank on the trellis and W Prong looks nice next to a thin wedding band as well. You know who else shows a thicker shank--Tiffany Lucida. And they pair it with a thinner wedding band as well. It looks great. BTW, I remember Brian saying they can make the W Prong a little thinner if you want it thinner. But I would take it as is b/c the lines flow together with the thicker shank. I''ll follow up if I get a chance to see the rings in person tomorrow or in the coming days.

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
OMGosh Isabelle I am sooo violently jealous of you for getting to go see WF up close and personal!
I''d love I mean just love to go there myself and honestly am hoping against hope I get the time and the money to make the trip up there someday.
I have had the extreme pleasure of speaking with Brian over the phone and I agree with you he is a class act all the way. Every inch the gentleman and an utmost professional.
I am blessed to have one of their ACA stones in my e-ring and my dream too is to upgrade to a bigger stone someday. I adore my ring and the craftsmanship is a cut above :)
What was the facility like?
Did you get to meet any of the SA? They are all very, very sweet. I''m just crazy about Katie she helped me with my e-ring.
What is Houston like?
Sorry for all the question but I live out in Canada so I think I''m going to have to wait before I can find out any of these things in person.

I can''t wait to see your new setting I bet it rocks!
All the best, you lucky girl!

tevyk

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 11:12:52 PM
Author: Isabelle
I am probably going back there tomorrow so I will ask to see both in person and let you know my thoughts.

That would be fantastic! And thanks for your thoughts so far
1.gif

I''ve seen hand pics of the W-prong and think the band looks fine, but it''s listed as a thinner ''3mm tapering to 2.4mm''. If it makes a difference, my center stone is a .80ct RB with either .2 or .25ct side RBs.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 11:14:51 PM
Author: btrflygrl23
OMGosh Isabelle I am sooo violently jealous of you for getting to go see WF up close and personal!

I''d love I mean just love to go there myself and honestly am hoping against hope I get the time and the money to make the trip up there someday.

I have had the extreme pleasure of speaking with Brian over the phone and I agree with you he is a class act all the way. Every inch the gentleman and an utmost professional.

I am blessed to have one of their ACA stones in my e-ring and my dream too is to upgrade to a bigger stone someday. I adore my ring and the craftsmanship is a cut above :)

Did you get to meet any of the SA? They are all very, very sweet. I''m just crazy about Katie she helped me with my e-ring.

What is Houston like?

Sorry for all the question but I live out in Canada so I think I''m going to have to wait before I can find out any of these things in person.

Hi Butterfly: I''ll tell you what: I will trade the in person visit to WF for the ACA diamond any day! LOL YOU are one lucky girl. I bet your ring is amazing. To answer your questions, Houston is filthy polluted city with great restaurants, nice people, great sports teams, great museums, and horrible traffic. It''s one of those places that grows on you over time. Much like a bad rash. J/K. (I am a native Texan so I can say things like that.) LOL

The WF offices are small. They aren''t a store front. They are an e-tailer. But they are in a building that houses several diamond retailers and wholesalers that is well-guarded by officers on duty from the Houston Police Dept. at all times. Needless to say, I felt very safe there. :) LOL I perused through some of the store fronts open to the public on my way in and out. Nothing came close to WF. The stuff I saw at WF was on par with Tiffany. It well and truly was. I''m pretty snobbish about my jewelry and WF impressed me.

Literally the quality you see on the WF website is what you see in person. The platinum was very heavy and the palladium and 18 K gold was all very well done as well. I forgot to mention that I saw a new custom ring that was made for one incredibly lucky customer with a split shank and diamonds galore including this amazing halo. It was UNBELIEVABLE. I hope it is going to someone here so that they will post pictures of it.

I got to meet several people, including Vera, but I forgot some of their names. I met the guy who does the CAD designs and he was great. I met several guys. I spoke to Sheila on the phone. She was really, really nice. I liked all of them, especially Brian of course.

All the best to you, too!! :)

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 11:26:30 PM

I am probably going back there tomorrow so I will ask to see both in person and let you know my thoughts.

1.gif

I''ve seen hand pics of the W-prong and think the band looks fine, but it''s listed as a thinner ''3mm tapering to 2.4mm''. If it makes a difference, my center stone is a .80ct RB with either .2 or .25ct side RBs.

Hmmm, I am not sure. I will definitely ask tomorrow when I go back. FWIW, I saw a .50 in a W prong that looked beautiful. The larger shank doesn''t overwhelm the stone. But, again, I will ask Brian tomorrow or when I get back there if for some reason I don''t go tomorrow. :)

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 11:28:46 PM
Date: 5/12/2008 11:26:30 PM

1.gif

Hmmm, I am not sure. I will definitely ask tomorrow when I go back. FWIW, I saw a .50 in a W prong that looked beautiful. The larger shank doesn''t overwhelm the stone. But, again, I will ask Brian tomorrow or when I get back there if for some reason I don''t go tomorrow. :)

TevyK: I think the rings could be comparable b/c the WF site lists the W prong as 3.5 MM. But I will ask for sure. :)

tevyk

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 11:30:46 PM

TevyK: I think the rings could be comparable b/c the WF site lists the W prong as 3.5 MM. But I will ask for sure. :)

Whoops .. seems I was looking at a different W-prong setting (I thought you meant the 3-stone W-prong -- didn't realize until now that there was a solitaire W-prong. GF wants a 3-stone, so I haven't spent much time in the solitaire settings
1.gif
). In that case, yeah, they should be fairly comparable.

ETA: glad to hear that the larger shank doesn't overwhelm even a .50ct! That was one of my other initial concerns with the 3-stone trellis.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the report! The rose gold W-prong sounds delish! Any chance of any pics if you are going back tomorrow?

Also I was a little confused by the ''all hand-made for the stone'' part. I know that some of the rings are cast, because I have asked on occasion for modifications and because they are cast they then have to be custom made. So are you saying all are hand-made or just the particular ones you mentioned?

Thanks again for sharing, sounds like an absolute dream of a day
3.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like my idea of a great way to spend the day. I''ll have to figure out a way to get my DH to go to Houston.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I am SO envious! Whiteflash was so great to work with, they did an amazing job on my e-ring and my ACA just amazes me more and more everyday. I would absolutely LOVE to go down there and meet the people who made my ring happen.

I''m glad you had a great time!

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 10:29:47 PM
Author:Isabelle
Hello Everyone!

Here is what I saw:

Legato, Tiffany knife edge plain and with pave diamonds, W Prong in platinum, W Prong in 18K yellow gold, W prong in rose gold, Rhapsody, round halo, U-Prong champagne ring, sleek line, half bezel set (the true love line), and many, many others. They were ALL handmade, custom for the stone and all INCREDIBLE. It was hard to narrow down the choice.

Isabelle
Hi Isabelle.

Sounds like you had an incredible day!! Question on the W Prong in 18K yellow gold... did it have platinum prongs or were the prongs yellow gold as well? If two tone, did the piece seem to flow together well? Any distraction effect with having both metals?

Thanks!!!

And good luck choosing... I know how difficult it is!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 11:26:33 PM

What is Houston like?

Hi Butterfly: I''ll tell you what: I will trade the in person visit to WF for the ACA diamond any day! LOL YOU are one lucky girl. I bet your ring is amazing. To answer your questions, Houston is filthy polluted city with great restaurants, nice people, great sports teams, great museums, and horrible traffic. It''s one of those places that grows on you over time. Much like a bad rash. J/K. (I am a native Texan so I can say things like that.) LOL

The WF offices are small. They aren''t a store front. They are an e-tailer. But they are in a building that houses several diamond retailers and wholesalers that is well-guarded by officers on duty from the Houston Police Dept. at all times. Needless to say, I felt very safe there. :) LOL I perused through some of the store fronts open to the public on my way in and out. Nothing came close to WF. The stuff I saw at WF was on par with Tiffany. It well and truly was. I''m pretty snobbish about my jewelry and WF impressed me.

Literally the quality you see on the WF website is what you see in person. The platinum was very heavy and the palladium and 18 K gold was all very well done as well. I forgot to mention that I saw a new custom ring that was made for one incredibly lucky customer with a split shank and diamonds galore including this amazing halo. It was UNBELIEVABLE. I hope it is going to someone here so that they will post pictures of it.

I got to meet several people, including Vera, but I forgot some of their names. I met the guy who does the CAD designs and he was great. I met several guys. I spoke to Sheila on the phone. She was really, really nice. I liked all of them, especially Brian of course.

All the best to you, too!! :)
I have ordered a custom split shank halo.... probably not mine you saw as I only approved the CAD images last thursday.... what size diamond was it?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I am just green with envy!
11.gif

Lucky, lucky you! Sounds like you had a fantastic time, and I''m not at all surprised at your assessment of the ACA''s.
2.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Guys. It was great.

Angeline, it is my understanding that once you pick a setting, they will make it for your stone. If you customize a setting, or start from scratch, it gets much more expensive. Yes there are designs that they have already cast, but they can make certain modifications to those without much increase in cost since each ring is made when you order it. Some modifications cannot be done to certain settings b/c the physics isn''t possible. For instance if you wanted to combine elements that might not be combinable. The prongs are tailored for your stone as well, so it isn''t a "build a ring" thing. This is at least what I understand. :)

Marcy, Ellen, and Star Sparkle--it was awesome. I loved it. :)

Hi Peachy, you can only get Brian to set the diamond in platinum if you go with the yellow gold. Platinum holds a diamond much more securely and besides you don''t want yellow gold prongs b/c they would reflect off the diamond and make it look yellowish. (Funny tidbit about that: My GIA report says my diamond is an H. But it was graded 13 years ago, and Brian said they were a bit stricter then than now. He thinks it is lighter color than H. Maybe that is why my H looks so white. LOL). Anyway, you don''t want any yellow reflection and I can tell you that the 18K yellow gold with the platinum prongs looks exquisite. It would probably be my first choice if I weren''t worried about the fact that my RHR is a white metal and I have had 18 K yellow gold for my ering these past 12 years. So I am ready to change...I think...LOL :)

Hi Maisy, The center RB was about 1.00 carat and it was ACA. In a word, it was increíble. If it is yours, you are going to be one happy lady. If it is someone else''s then I have no doubt based on what I saw yesterday that yours will also be phenomenal. They do outstanding work. Can''t wait to see the pics you post. :)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My diamond is 1ct but its not an ACA, its an Expert Selection.. It is too soon for mine to be ready but i''m glad you saw what brillinat workmanship they do!
36.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 10:50:56 AM
Author: Maisie
My diamond is 1ct but its not an ACA, its an Expert Selection.. It is too soon for mine to be ready but i''m glad you saw what brillinat workmanship they do!
36.gif

Ok it must have been someone else''s ring b/c of the timing and the diamond was ACA. Yours will be gorgeous. I have no doubt about that having been there for the day yesterday.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 11:38:51 PM
Date: 5/12/2008 11:30:46 PM

Whoops .. seems I was looking at a different W-prong setting (I thought you meant the 3-stone W-prong -- didn''t realize until now that there was a solitaire W-prong. GF wants a 3-stone, so I haven''t spent much time in the solitaire settings
1.gif
). In that case, yeah, they should be fairly comparable.

ETA: glad to hear that the larger shank doesn''t overwhelm even a .50ct! That was one of my other initial concerns with the 3-stone trellis.

Hi TevyK, Ok, I went over there this morning. I saw the trois jolie and the trellis. They are both really nice. I much prefer the trellis because of the side views. The shank on the Trellis was listed incorrectly on the website which Brian said they would correct. It is actually 3 mm which is not that thick really. Another ring I really like is the 3 stone W prong. I got to see that too. If you prefer the trellis to the W prong, I would definitely go with the Trellis. I think it will look amazing. Brian says you need to do .25 carat RBs with the .80 and he thought it would look really great as well. Anyway, let us know what you pick and PLEASE post pictures! :)

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock

What is Houston like?

ButterflyGirl, I have a correction to make from yesterday. Brian gave me the tour today. Their space is enormous. I thought it was a couple of offices. It''s not. It''s rather big and there are several different rooms where I saw lots of special equipment, machines, photography equipment. I met a couple of CAD designers. Joe was one. I met Leon who does supplies. I saw them hand-setting diamonds in a very precise manner. It was amazing. I also saw yet another halo ring with an emerald cut stone, about 1.34 carat in the center. It was incredible. The workmanship was beyond anything I had seen in a long time. It was really, really well done. Whoever is getting that ring is really in for a treat. :)

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
Isabelle, Which legato did you see? Im looking at the micro pave and so bummed that i cant see it/touch it in person..

* i might, might, be in texas in the next yr, but in austin.. Would you say its worth the drive?*

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 4:10:35 PM
Author: stryeyes102
Isabelle, Which legato did you see? Im looking at the micro pave and so bummed that i cant see it/touch it in person..

* i might, might, be in texas in the next yr, but in austin.. Would you say its worth the drive?*

Hi Staryeyes, I didn''t get to see the Legato with Pave, but I saw some absolutely incredible pave work there, so I can guarantee you it will be gorgeous. I wouldn''t drive down to their offices if I were you, unless you absolutely have to see it before you can decide. I have found that the rings pretty much look even more beautiful in person than they do in pictures. I don''t think there is such a thing as perfection or even near perfection in jewelry. But I think there IS such a thing as art in jewelry and I saw a lot of art in the WF offices. The thread that is going on right now about a custom pave ring at WF?-- I saw that ring today, and it is absolutely incredible. It can stand up favorably against any Graff, and Tiffany, any designer, you name it.

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for the reply.. I figured they were every bit as gorgeous in person, since everyone around here buys from them. i Guess im just still nervous about ''that'' big a purchase online ya know?

Thank you again for your words of reassurance.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a wonderful visit, glad you had so much fun!

tevyk

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 2:49:22 PM
Hi TevyK, Ok, I went over there this morning. I saw the trois jolie and the trellis. They are both really nice. I much prefer the trellis because of the side views. The shank on the Trellis was listed incorrectly on the website which Brian said they would correct. It is actually 3 mm which is not that thick really. Another ring I really like is the 3 stone W prong. I got to see that too. If you prefer the trellis to the W prong, I would definitely go with the Trellis. I think it will look amazing. Brian says you need to do .25 carat RBs with the .80 and he thought it would look really great as well. Anyway, let us know what you pick and PLEASE post pictures! :)

Oops! I''m a bit late on the response, though I *did* read this before placing the order and your comments were immensely helpful! I went with the 3mm 3-stone trellis with a few modifications. I was actually going for a bit of a different look than what the .25ct sides would achieve -- consulted Brian again after clarifying what I was going for, and he and the design team both recommended .17ct sides.

Just got the CAD images back today and love what I''m seeing! Should I post those somewhere (I''d start a new thread so I don''t completely jack this one) or just wait until the real pictures come back?

Thanks again for your input Isabelle!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 12:32:06 AM

Date: 5/13/2008 2:49:22 PM

Oops! I''m a bit late on the response, though I *did* read this before placing the order and your comments were immensely helpful! I went with the 3mm 3-stone trellis with a few modifications. I was actually going for a bit of a different look than what the .25ct sides would achieve -- consulted Brian again after clarifying what I was going for, and he and the design team both recommended .17ct sides.

Just got the CAD images back today and love what I''m seeing! Should I post those somewhere (I''d start a new thread so I don''t completely jack this one) or just wait until the real pictures come back?

Thanks again for your input Isabelle!
Yes post those cads dude!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results