shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT My Vintage Cushion in a Gabriel Solitaire

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
I recently traded up my .60 M SI2 AVR for a .90 N VS2 Premium Vintage Cushion. I set it in a solitaire by Gabriel and Company. This is the first engagement ring I've had that has an integrated head instead of a peg head and I just love it. This is also the first ring I've had with a lovely profile view and that is a treat, too!

There is a definite size difference between the AVR and the PVC. The AVR was 5.3 mm and the PVC is 5.5 x 5.9 mm. Now that the diamond is set, it feels pretty large to me. :naughty:

dsc04867.jpg

dsc04869.jpg

dsc04872.jpg

_28295.jpg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your new ring. It looks stunning. Now for some hand shots :)

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond and the setting is so pretty! Love the profile.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, the faceting of your cushion :love:
You have a very elegant ring and a fabulous stone. Enjoy wearing it :wavey:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful - I love the setting that allows the gorgeous AVC to be the star and the four prongs really suit the shape of the stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your cushion is just beautiful and the profile of the setting is so pretty! :love: Very nice upgrade!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love everything about this & feel green with envy! The diamond is heavenly & the setting is so beautiful! More hand shots please!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond (love the facets) and your setting is perfect. :love:

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your diamond is beautiful and I love how you can have as much of a full view on the profile as possible!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the facets and the way they reflect color.
I don't think anyone would object to more photos! :naughty:

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your kind words Mayk, SparklySoprano, babynurse, arkieb1, Acinom, Polished, diamondseeker2006, Alex T, missy, kathley, ecf8503, and Jimmianne! I appreciate the compliments so much, especially since I admire your jewelry quite a bit.

Thanks for your compliments on the profile of the setting, babynurse and diamondseeker2006! I love curly filigree, and it is kind of a nod to my original marquise engagement ring which has curly filigree all around the shank.

The diamond is actually a "Premium" vintage cushion instead of an August Vintage Cushion. It is very similar to an AVC, though. I originally wanted an AVC, but this one was more budget friendly. I catch myself thinking of it as an AVC myself.

I am always happy to post more pictures! I took dozens of them. I will see if I can find different flowers or different props to add some variety and then come back with what I've got. For now, here is a little collage I made of photos of the stone before it was set. I was disappointed that I had no flower shots and the ground was covered in hard sleet during the time that I had the stone loose. These are the best ones I could get. :wink2:

ETA: Here is my thread comparing the loose stone with my AVR: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/trading-my-avr-for-a-premium-vintage-cushion.210954/

_28321.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drool! Look at the colors reflecting in those beautiful facets! :love:

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much, artdecolover71, Alex T, and eirwen!!! :razz:

Thanks for looking, everybody! :wavey:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful stone! I love your solitaire setting, it definitely complements your stone.
Looks fantastic on you!
:love:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
danityG - your stone is just GORGEOUS! I love the faceting and the pictures are so lovely!

Forgive me for saying this but it seems to me that your stone is set.. well... crazy high in that setting. Did you discuss that with the jeweler? I know this is the SMTB forum, and I do think your stone is absolutely beautiful, but I'm afraid one good knock and you're going to be missing a diamond. Feel free to ignore me!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Crystal24K, DerbyGal, and Dee*Jay!

Dee*Jay, yes, I was surprised at how high it was, but then sort of dismissed it just because I'm so excited to have it. Honeymoon phase and all.

It was set by GOG this time and I discussed the setting height with Marie in an email. I said, "If you get a chance to look at my AVR before it is removed from the setting, I liked being able to see the culet, but wished that it had been set lower, too. I think both may have been possible if I had communicated that with the jeweler. I am meticulous about cleaning my diamonds, and I also want to consider how/if the height or position of the diamond in the ring might affect my ability to clean the diamond all over." And I guess from those instructions they thought that this was the height I wanted. So maybe it's my fault. But the tip of the culet looks like it's ~2 mm from the bottom of the head so they erred on the high side, I think. And the overall height is definitely taller than my AVR, not lower. :sick:

The filigree in the profile sort of adds to the overall height, too.

I've also been overlooking the setting height because it's set now and I want to be done with shipping back and forth--and paying for shipping. So if it were yours, would you send it back and have them fix it? What can I do? I guess I'm just a tightwad, but I've already paid for shipping twice (GOG paid to ship the loose diamond to me, I paid to ship the loose diamond back to GOG, and I paid for GOG to ship the ring to me) and I'm not so excited about the idea of throwing more money into that.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks again, Dee*Jay. :wavey:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
daintyG, I can certainly see why you would be having a honeymoon phase with your ring -- it's gorgeous! And I hope I didn't dampen your enthusiasm in any way... I would feel terrible about that... To answer your question though, yes, if it were my ring I would indeed have the stone lowered. I just went through a bunch of pics and looked at profiles of other rings and I think the stone could be lower but still allow you plenty of room to get in there for cleaning. The important thing though is not what I think, but that YOU are completely happy with your beautiful ring! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results