shape
carat
color
clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mareray

Rough_Rock
My Asscher promise Ring
love.gif

The story about its arrival is posted in Diamond Hangout. Anyway… here it is. I love it soooo much!

.27 Asscher cut diamond, E, SI1, ex/ex (don’t have the numbers… boyfriend has them). Two round cut blue sapphires .20 each. Pictures taken on a cloudy day, so the diamond isn’t shining like it usually does.

Also, the Antique promise ring that belonged to my boyfriend’s great grandmother. He and I decided not to do anything that might damage it (actually, I don’t think he is too fond of the style – I love it). Anyway, we picked out this ring. I wanted something that I could wear as a right hand ring after we were engaged. I love it! I told him this would be a perfect engagement ring, but he has another ring in mind.

Btw.. the sapphires look uneven in the photo… the ring is crooked in the box.
1.gif

mareraypromise.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful.
love.gif

I hope you'll find out more about your new promise ring and share the story behind it's "birth" with us. I enjoy reading about the shopping process, setting and presentation. Where did he get it? More pictures! We need more pictures!! What a delicious looking Asscher. Can you take a few close up shots?

His gg-ma's ring is so unique. I think you both made the right choice in leaving it alone. It's the whole package that makes it unique and I think it helps "date" the ring too.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Oooohhh! How pretty!!! It wouldn't have occurred to me to set an Asscher w/round sapphires - I love the look!
love.gif

mareray

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the compliments. I love the combination too… mainly because it was my boyfriend’s idea. I was 'introducing' him to diamond shapes, and he thought the 'X' look in the middle was eye-catching. Later he said, "well... if we set asschers with rounds it would be XOXO." Which around here stands for hugs and kisses (not sure if it is just a local thing). So we ended up with OXO... he is so cute, and I thought it was such a romantic idea
1.gif
We were actually going to do a band with two asschers and two round stones, but we fell in love with the diamond in the ring. My boyfriend was in charge, but he ‘allowed’ me to help him with the decisions.

We built the ring on Diamonds.com. However, they are located in Florida, so we weren’t sure what time it would be built and delivered with all the bad weather they have had. Somehow they managed to get it shipped out in less than 2 days! Shipping took a while, but it was well worth the wait.

promisecloseup2.JPG

mareray

Rough_Rock
PS -- I want to post some more pictures when the sun comes out. It has not rained in this area for almost a month, and the one time I need sun... it is cloudy and rainy... go figure! Oh well, we really needed the rain.
1.gif

I also wanted to clarify... I absolutely love the combination! I wasn't sure if my last message sounded like the only reason I liked it was because it was my boyfriend's idea. It is beautiful!
love.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
That is a beautiful ring mareray! Luv the sapphire/diamond combo & it looks positively luvly on your finger! How wonderful that he wanted to get you a promise ring -
appl.gif
...and the whole oxo thing is beyond adorable
2.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
awwwww!!!!
appl.gif
love the OXO!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!! It's really beautiful. That blue is especially lovely...

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I love it!!! That little Asscher is stunning (and I'm a rb-girl!!)!! But I second Chrono's suggestion - more close-ups!! I want to see that baby sparkle!! Blind us with sparkles!!
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif

I love the OXO reason for your ring!! It's so sweet! And I've always loved the look of sapphire and diamond rings. My mom's wedding ring is an old estate ring that she and my stepfather found on ebay. It's a diamond solitaire e-ring soldered to the wedding band wrap which has a diamond and a sapphire, one on each side of the e-ring diamond. It's such a beautiful combination of colors!!

Congrats!!
appl.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Love it.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE IT!! I love the antique ring too. Have I mentioned I want a promise ring? I say he should get me one since my real ring is taking so long.

Melissa

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Really sweet--and a beautiful ring. Congrats!
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! It's beautiful. Looks great on your hand. Enjoy your new sparkly.
appl.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful promise ring, and sweet sentiment!
love.gif

The antique ring is a beauty also!
9.gif

Best wishes!
appl.gif

mareray

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the compliments! My boyfriend just got it appraised yesterday and the amount it appraised for was way over what he paid. This forum is awesome; thank you for 'inforumation' ... without it we would have made a very bad choice.

The story behind the promise ring is a cute one, and is a result of two very stubborn people.
12.gif
Early in our relationship we both made vows… I wouldn’t get married until after law school, and he wouldn’t be engaged for more than a year. For some reason my boyfriend wants to plan everything in a year.

We love each other very much, and would get married today if we could. However, we had our vows, and while we joke about them now we both respect the vows because they were very important at the time. (My reason was to focus on school. However, he is like a cheerleader; he supports and pushes me to do the best I can… something I didn’t think would happen in a relationship.) Anyway, the ring is our compromise. He really surprised me with the idea; he saved up for it (he is a grad student on a tight budget), and then began to learn about diamonds. Later he told me of his promise ring plan.

We are planning on getting engaged the summer of 2005. Not only will he have graduated and be in a better financial situation, I will have one year left of school. Therefore, we will get married the summer after I graduate. I know it is strange to have it planned, but that is the way it worked out. We are both looking forward to my graduation!
appl.gif

After doing his research he really likes the ideal cut diamond. I am torn between the Asscher and the Ideal. So, we decided to get the Asscher in the promise ring and an Ideal for the engagement ring. This way I have the best of both worlds!
naughty.gif

Sorry for the long post; I wanted to share the story with you.

The sun is now out, so I am going to try to get some close-ups of the ring. I will post the measurements with the later post… my boyfriend is bringing them over.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Mareray - Thats a great story.. And it is good that both of you stuck to your commitments that you made to yourself. You'll be happy that you did. But its also WONDERFUL he was thoughtful enough to come up with the promise ring idea. Your ring is gorgeous and your boyfriend sounds like an amazing guy!

Melissa

mareray

Rough_Rock
The measurements are 3.70 x 3.63 x 2.56 mm. It packs a mighty punch though!

Sorry about the extra pictures I was supposed to post earlier. I will take them either today or tomorrow afternoon. I can't believe how much this thing shines!
3.gif

Mary

PS -- I must say I have two new addictions... diamonds and pricescope!
9.gif

mareray

Rough_Rock
Boy it is tough to get close-ups! Here are a couple; I think they are the best that can be done with my digital camera (I've taken over 100 photos)!!

Thank you for all of the compliments. This ring is so very special to me
21.gif
My boyfriend is a wonderful man
love.gif

ringsun2.JPG

Queenofhearts

Rough_Rock
This is a great story.

Could someone tell me the meaning of a promise ring? Is it a pre-engagement, or is it a commitment to someday we will marry.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/5/2004 8:34:38 PM Queenofhearts wrote:

This is a great story.

Could someone tell me the meaning of a promise ring? Is it a pre-engagement, or is it a commitment to someday we will marry.

----------------

Hmmmm... depends on the couple I think. Mine is sort of a symbol of our intention to get engaged (cheaper than an ering too, esp. mine - $3 from Claire's!!
9.gif
). Basically, we're in love and intend to get married, but we're not in a position right now to be planning our wedding. In general, I'd say it's a symbol of committment, but the level of that committment depends on what the couple decides it will be.

mareray

Rough_Rock
My promise ring was given to me as a promise of engagement
9.gif
. Promise rings can be given for many reasons; I have seen promise rings given between best friends as a promise to be friends forever. Additionally, I have seen churches give out small gold bands as a promise of faith.

I know when I was younger the popular thing for friends to do was to get the gold charms split in half (not a ring, but I would think the symbol is the same).

Good question! It would be interesting to hear how other people feel
wink2.gif

I guess they could be given for anything, but I think the most popular is the promise of engagement
1.gif

Mary

Queenofhearts

Rough_Rock
Thank you Mary. Your story is a great story. Congrats. I was given a promise ring with the words of love and commitment attached last December by the love of my life. I would love to spend the rest of my life being this persons wife. Maybe or maybe not this will happen.

Now would it be wrong to give the male love of your life a promise ring as a symbol of the love and commitment that you have for him.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

My Promise Ring

Status

mareray

Rough_Rock
My Asscher promise Ring
love.gif

The story about its arrival is posted in Diamond Hangout. Anyway… here it is. I love it soooo much!

.27 Asscher cut diamond, E, SI1, ex/ex (don’t have the numbers… boyfriend has them). Two round cut blue sapphires .20 each. Pictures taken on a cloudy day, so the diamond isn’t shining like it usually does.

Also, the Antique promise ring that belonged to my boyfriend’s great grandmother. He and I decided not to do anything that might damage it (actually, I don’t think he is too fond of the style – I love it). Anyway, we picked out this ring. I wanted something that I could wear as a right hand ring after we were engaged. I love it! I told him this would be a perfect engagement ring, but he has another ring in mind.

Btw.. the sapphires look uneven in the photo… the ring is crooked in the box.
1.gif

mareraypromise.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful.
love.gif

I hope you'll find out more about your new promise ring and share the story behind it's "birth" with us. I enjoy reading about the shopping process, setting and presentation. Where did he get it? More pictures! We need more pictures!! What a delicious looking Asscher. Can you take a few close up shots?

His gg-ma's ring is so unique. I think you both made the right choice in leaving it alone. It's the whole package that makes it unique and I think it helps "date" the ring too.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Oooohhh! How pretty!!! It wouldn't have occurred to me to set an Asscher w/round sapphires - I love the look!
love.gif

mareray

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the compliments. I love the combination too… mainly because it was my boyfriend’s idea. I was 'introducing' him to diamond shapes, and he thought the 'X' look in the middle was eye-catching. Later he said, "well... if we set asschers with rounds it would be XOXO." Which around here stands for hugs and kisses (not sure if it is just a local thing). So we ended up with OXO... he is so cute, and I thought it was such a romantic idea
1.gif
We were actually going to do a band with two asschers and two round stones, but we fell in love with the diamond in the ring. My boyfriend was in charge, but he ‘allowed’ me to help him with the decisions.

We built the ring on Diamonds.com. However, they are located in Florida, so we weren’t sure what time it would be built and delivered with all the bad weather they have had. Somehow they managed to get it shipped out in less than 2 days! Shipping took a while, but it was well worth the wait.

promisecloseup2.JPG

mareray

Rough_Rock
PS -- I want to post some more pictures when the sun comes out. It has not rained in this area for almost a month, and the one time I need sun... it is cloudy and rainy... go figure! Oh well, we really needed the rain.
1.gif

I also wanted to clarify... I absolutely love the combination! I wasn't sure if my last message sounded like the only reason I liked it was because it was my boyfriend's idea. It is beautiful!
love.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
That is a beautiful ring mareray! Luv the sapphire/diamond combo & it looks positively luvly on your finger! How wonderful that he wanted to get you a promise ring -
appl.gif
...and the whole oxo thing is beyond adorable
2.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
awwwww!!!!
appl.gif
love the OXO!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!! It's really beautiful. That blue is especially lovely...

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I love it!!! That little Asscher is stunning (and I'm a rb-girl!!)!! But I second Chrono's suggestion - more close-ups!! I want to see that baby sparkle!! Blind us with sparkles!!
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif

I love the OXO reason for your ring!! It's so sweet! And I've always loved the look of sapphire and diamond rings. My mom's wedding ring is an old estate ring that she and my stepfather found on ebay. It's a diamond solitaire e-ring soldered to the wedding band wrap which has a diamond and a sapphire, one on each side of the e-ring diamond. It's such a beautiful combination of colors!!

Congrats!!
appl.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Love it.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE IT!! I love the antique ring too. Have I mentioned I want a promise ring? I say he should get me one since my real ring is taking so long.

Melissa

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Really sweet--and a beautiful ring. Congrats!
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! It's beautiful. Looks great on your hand. Enjoy your new sparkly.
appl.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful promise ring, and sweet sentiment!
love.gif

The antique ring is a beauty also!
9.gif

Best wishes!
appl.gif

mareray

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the compliments! My boyfriend just got it appraised yesterday and the amount it appraised for was way over what he paid. This forum is awesome; thank you for 'inforumation' ... without it we would have made a very bad choice.

The story behind the promise ring is a cute one, and is a result of two very stubborn people.
12.gif
Early in our relationship we both made vows… I wouldn’t get married until after law school, and he wouldn’t be engaged for more than a year. For some reason my boyfriend wants to plan everything in a year.

We love each other very much, and would get married today if we could. However, we had our vows, and while we joke about them now we both respect the vows because they were very important at the time. (My reason was to focus on school. However, he is like a cheerleader; he supports and pushes me to do the best I can… something I didn’t think would happen in a relationship.) Anyway, the ring is our compromise. He really surprised me with the idea; he saved up for it (he is a grad student on a tight budget), and then began to learn about diamonds. Later he told me of his promise ring plan.

We are planning on getting engaged the summer of 2005. Not only will he have graduated and be in a better financial situation, I will have one year left of school. Therefore, we will get married the summer after I graduate. I know it is strange to have it planned, but that is the way it worked out. We are both looking forward to my graduation!
appl.gif

After doing his research he really likes the ideal cut diamond. I am torn between the Asscher and the Ideal. So, we decided to get the Asscher in the promise ring and an Ideal for the engagement ring. This way I have the best of both worlds!
naughty.gif

Sorry for the long post; I wanted to share the story with you.

The sun is now out, so I am going to try to get some close-ups of the ring. I will post the measurements with the later post… my boyfriend is bringing them over.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Mareray - Thats a great story.. And it is good that both of you stuck to your commitments that you made to yourself. You'll be happy that you did. But its also WONDERFUL he was thoughtful enough to come up with the promise ring idea. Your ring is gorgeous and your boyfriend sounds like an amazing guy!

Melissa

mareray

Rough_Rock
The measurements are 3.70 x 3.63 x 2.56 mm. It packs a mighty punch though!

Sorry about the extra pictures I was supposed to post earlier. I will take them either today or tomorrow afternoon. I can't believe how much this thing shines!
3.gif

Mary

PS -- I must say I have two new addictions... diamonds and pricescope!
9.gif

mareray

Rough_Rock
Boy it is tough to get close-ups! Here are a couple; I think they are the best that can be done with my digital camera (I've taken over 100 photos)!!

Thank you for all of the compliments. This ring is so very special to me
21.gif
My boyfriend is a wonderful man
love.gif

ringsun2.JPG

Queenofhearts

Rough_Rock
This is a great story.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/5/2004 8:34:38 PM Queenofhearts wrote:

This is a great story.

----------------

Hmmmm... depends on the couple I think. Mine is sort of a symbol of our intention to get engaged (cheaper than an ering too, esp. mine - $3 from Claire's!!
9.gif
). Basically, we're in love and intend to get married, but we're not in a position right now to be planning our wedding. In general, I'd say it's a symbol of committment, but the level of that committment depends on what the couple decides it will be.

mareray

Rough_Rock
My promise ring was given to me as a promise of engagement
9.gif
. Promise rings can be given for many reasons; I have seen promise rings given between best friends as a promise to be friends forever. Additionally, I have seen churches give out small gold bands as a promise of faith.

I know when I was younger the popular thing for friends to do was to get the gold charms split in half (not a ring, but I would think the symbol is the same).

Good question! It would be interesting to hear how other people feel
wink2.gif

I guess they could be given for anything, but I think the most popular is the promise of engagement
1.gif

Mary

Queenofhearts

Rough_Rock
Thank you Mary. Your story is a great story. Congrats. I was given a promise ring with the words of love and commitment attached last December by the love of my life. I would love to spend the rest of my life being this persons wife. Maybe or maybe not this will happen.

Now would it be wrong to give the male love of your life a promise ring as a symbol of the love and commitment that you have for him.

Status
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results