Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!!

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Beyond beautiful! That diamond is a show stopper :love:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump! One of my all time favorite rings!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous, but no hand shots :((

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Centralsquare--check out page 1 of the thread for handshots!

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
That's a beautiful and elegant set! Love how classic it is. Wear it in good health and happiness!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blueiris, did you trade in your emerald or keep it? Your new set is gorgeous! Congratulations! Everything about it is perfect!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
mom2boys, centralsquare, lilythespitfire, and luv2sparkle, thank you all for your nice comments! luv2sparkle, I sold my emerald cut (it wasn't possible to trade it in where I originally purchased it).

So ... not terribly long after getting these rings, I changed the diamond. The new diamond is a little smaller (2.54) and different specs (E, VS1). I don't think you'll see any difference in the photos (except for maybe the size on my finger) because that G, SI1 was a really special diamond, too. When my husband and I compared them side by side, we loved both but something about the way the 2.54 looked made us want to change it. As Brian says, each diamond, even ideal cut diamonds, has its own special look.

I never posted updated photos since the diamond looked so similar, and the setting was the same, so I thought it would be redundant! But diamondseeker2006 and MissGotRocks asked me about my new diamond's specs and for photos. I also never posted photos of my 5-stone ring (Nightingale from BGD) and so am including some of those, too, since I don't want to start a new thread about it (got it right before Christmas 2010).

I was brave enough to battle the high winds and frigid temps to take a couple of photos outside, but only got one that was okay, so these photos aren't too great, I'm sorry to say! Maybe the weather will warm up a bit and I be able to stand to be outside for long enough to snap a few more.

I'm also going to change the setting. The setting I want to change to is Mark Morrell's. I am still undecided if I want the Petite Torchiere or a new variation of that that Mark calls the Extreme Petite Torchiere. I know that to most people this change probably doesn't make a lot of sense, since it will still be a "plain" platinum solitaire. But I saw some of MM's settings on PS not long after getting my rings, and I was so impressed with the simplicity and sinuous feel of them. They're so beautifully made! I also think I'll prefer a six-prong setting to a four-prong setting.

I'll post a few pics of the Petite Torchiere variation that Mark sent to me; the area below the basket is a little taller (which allows for a straight wedding band to sit more flush). But first, the photos of my new stone in the Grace setting by BGD. And to follow, my five-stone in the Nightingale setting, also by BGD.

Specs on my new e-ring stone:

2.543 cts, AGS 000
E, VS1
8.75 x 8.79 x 5.42mm
Table size 55.2
Crown angle 34.7
Pavilion angle 40.8
Depth 61.8
Fluorescence: Negligible

E1.jpg

E2.jpg

E3.jpg

E4.jpg

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
More ....

E5.jpg

E6.jpg

E7.jpg

E8.jpg

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
And a couple more ....

E9.jpg

E10.jpg

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
And now for the NIghtingale 5-stone. I have 5 children so this ring is meaningful to me. Unfortunately, I discovered I don't love wearing a ring on my right hand so for now I alternate wearing the 5-stone alone or with my plain wedding band on my left hand, and my e-ring and plain wedding band on my left hand.

The stones are all right around .40 - .41, all F, all VS2. This ring is a 6.25 (my right ring finger is slightly bigger) and it slips around constantly on my left hand (on my right hand too, in the winter).

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
More ....

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all your rings! What a symbolic way to honor your 5 children!!! What did you eventually pick for your diamond wedding band?

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some photos of Mark Morrell's Extreme Petite Torchiere, with a 2.14 ct. stone. Mark said that this ring is built on a raised crown base (donut) for clearance when worn with a straight wedding band. The upper prongs are more elongated than the regular Petite Torchiere (or Flame). The person who ordered this ring is planning to wear a spacer between the e-ring and a shared prong wedding band.

As for me, I still want a plain platinum band to wear with the MM ring. But I also want a diamond band for a different look. Of course a channel band would work fine without damaging the basket, and Mark said one of his bead set rings would work (his bead set rings almost have a channel set appearance, to provide protection from the edges of the rings). But if I want something with bigger diamonds, I don't know how that would work. I don't really want to wear a spacer.

I'm also wondering if I want the small diamonds in the crown (Mark can make it with or without). For the regular Petite Torchiere, I know I don't want them. But in the Extreme Petite Torchiere, I don't feel like they detract from the "swoopiness" of the design (since they are set lower in the basket). Comments, opinions, and help are all welcome!

MM Extreme Petite Torchiere 1.jpg

MM Extreme Petite Torchiere2.jpg

MM Extreme Petite Torchiere3.jpg

MM Extreme Petite Torchiere4.jpg

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
mom2boys|1325617814|3094167 said:
I love all your rings! What a symbolic way to honor your 5 children!!! What did you eventually pick for your diamond wedding band?

Thank you for your kind words, mom2boys! I obsessed a little about the five-stone ring, because it was important to me to have all 5 stones the same color & clarity & size, because of the diamonds "representing" my five children.

I didn't do anything about a diamond wedding band yet. I know it will be a difficult decision, because if I do change my setting to the Mark Morrell, I can either wear a channel set with smaller diamonds or a bead set with smaller diamonds without wearing a spacer. If I want a more substantial diamond band (like a shared prong or a maybe even a bead set with larger stones, depending on the way they're set), then I'd probably have to wear a spacer and I really don't want to.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, BlueIris, thanks for the new pictures! I don't notice a lot in terms of size with the new diamond - and that's a good thing! Your five stone ring is just gorgeous too - you are definitely blinged out now! I also like the MM setting - just a little extra umph to a solitaire setting. His platinum looks like liquid mercury or something to me - very fine finish to a beautiful setting. You certainly can't go wrong there.

Enjoy them all - will be waiting to see a new setting sometime in your future!

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Something tells me this post is going to find a home here on the first page of SMTB for quite some time.

Drop Dead GOR-GEEE-OUS! Whatever combination you end up with, wear them well and in great health.
Beautiful stone, beautiful setting(s)!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks, I was hoping you'd see the updated thread! Thank you for your kind words! I wish I felt more comfortable wearing the five-stone on my right hand. You wear your Memoire band all the time, don't you? I remember how pretty that band is on you. (Also, as an aside, do you have a bangle style bracelet with one diamond in the center? I sort of remember seeing a photo of it once, and for some reason it sticks in my brain that it was yours. I love that bracelet and want something like that someday.)

I really appreciate your input on the MM setting. Liquid mercury is a very good description! I hope, hope, hope I'm making the right decision because I really don't want to reset this ring again. It involves sending it to an appraiser, on to Mark, back to the appraiser, back to me. A bit of a hassle and not something I want to do again if I can help it!

Any thoughts on the Extreme Petite Torchiere vs. the regular Petite Torchiere? And any thoughts on the little diamonds in the Extreme Petite Torchiere setting? Keeping in mind that I also want to have a diamond band to wear, and that I don't know what style/size of diamond band I'm going to want, I'm just not sure if those little diamonds in the Extreme version will be a problem or not. I asked Mark for his thoughts and he said it depends on if I want a wedding band with diamonds (meaning smaller diamonds), or a more substantial diamond band. And I just don't know! I don't have any stores like Tiffany or other high end stores near me, so I can't just try things on to see what might look good.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blueiris - that is one blingtastic 5 stone ring you have! I love the symbolism of treating each of the 5 diamonds the same... just like with your kids! Separate but equal, that's what I try to do with my 3 (kids - not diamonds :lol: )

It is beautiful and so is your extreme petite torchiere! I'd keep the diamonds in the base of the setting - just another bit of bling! As for a diamond wedding band, I do like the beaded idea MM advised you of. Ah, such a sweet dilemma!

Beautiful rings!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
beebrisk and Enerchi, thank you both for your kind comments! Enerchi, you think just how I do in regard to "separate but equal". Even though my kids are adults now, I still try to keep everything (gifts, etc.) as equal as possible.

Thank you for your input on whether to keep the diamonds in the Extreme Petite Torchiere. I am having such a hard time deciding on that and on a potential style for a diamond wedding band! I wish I knew if a smaller bead set band would look good with my e-ring. I do have two channel set yellow gold eternity bands (from a previous setting of my emerald cut) and I've tried one of those on with the current Grace setting ... not sure if it's "enough" to balance my stone, if you know what I mean. I may have to get the e-ring set and wear it for a while, instead of getting everything at once as I'd hoped.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should figure out the look you want with the diamond wb before you reset, and then let that guide the solitaire mount to a degree.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blueiris|1325628159|3094303 said:
MissGotRocks, I was hoping you'd see the updated thread! Thank you for your kind words! I wish I felt more comfortable wearing the five-stone on my right hand. You wear your Memoire band all the time, don't you? I remember how pretty that band is on you. (Also, as an aside, do you have a bangle style bracelet with one diamond in the center? I sort of remember seeing a photo of it once, and for some reason it sticks in my brain that it was yours. I love that bracelet and want something like that someday.)

I really appreciate your input on the MM setting. Liquid mercury is a very good description! I hope, hope, hope I'm making the right decision because I really don't want to reset this ring again. It involves sending it to an appraiser, on to Mark, back to the appraiser, back to me. A bit of a hassle and not something I want to do again if I can help it!

Any thoughts on the Extreme Petite Torchiere vs. the regular Petite Torchiere? And any thoughts on the little diamonds in the Extreme Petite Torchiere setting? Keeping in mind that I also want to have a diamond band to wear, and that I don't know what style/size of diamond band I'm going to want, I'm just not sure if those little diamonds in the Extreme version will be a problem or not. I asked Mark for his thoughts and he said it depends on if I want a wedding band with diamonds (meaning smaller diamonds), or a more substantial diamond band. And I just don't know! I don't have any stores like Tiffany or other high end stores near me, so I can't just try things on to see what might look good.

You have such a good memory! I do wear my five stone Memoire on my right hand all the time. It was a 25/30 anniversary ring (started as 25 with another ring and after problems with it I traded it toward the Memoire at 30 years). I bought it with the intention of wearing it all the time and foregoing any other RHRs. It's my anniversary ring that balances out the wedding set - starting to see how anal I am? I suppose that's why I never got interested in the colored stones or whatever - I'm just not one to change stuff up too much - I like to wear the same things everyday. The bangle bracelet does have one stone and it was made by Hearts on Fire. I wear it quite a bit and then I have a tennis bracelet that I wear to dressier events.

In all honesty, I don't know the difference between the Extreme Petite and the Regular Petite - can only assume that the proportions of the extreme are smaller. I think it is a beautiful setting though and while I'm not a pave type person, I do like the diamonds in the crown. I don't know how much they would interfere with a wedding band or if because of the donut, they wouldn't even touch. I know that from my experience with my three stone I had a devil of a time finding a wedding band that I liked. I had a couple of plain gold bands but always wanted a diamond wedding band. The problem was (and remember I have a three stone ring with the stones kind of set low) that when I paired a wedding band with the ring, it just looked like a big glob of diamonds. It was sparkly but I still wanted that center stone to shine on its own. I think in finding the Tiffany channel set band I found something that had minimal metal, plenty of sparkle and was thinner overall than the ering. This seemed to fit the bill. A large round diamond appears different than stones in a wedding band. Guess I should say they don't match just because of their size and different appearance but that bugged me. I also couldn't stand if the color looked off and it always did to me in wedding band stones that had some size to them. Again, the appearance of the stones is different and the colors look different too between one large stone and say seven smaller stones. Most people probably know and accept this - I'm just too picky and anal. I do think that a solitaire setting looks completely different with a band too than the three stone I'm used to working with and hopefully you won't find that you have to tear up the town to find a look that you love. I'm old enough now to know if it bugs me in the store it will never grow on me and I'm just wasting my money. All of this to say that I don't know if I could have ever found an ering and wedding band at the same time that I would have loved. Maybe in this case you get the ering setting that you love and then hunt for a wedding band that pleases you. If you were really lucky, maybe Mark could suggest something paired with the setting and he could make both at the same time.

At any rate, your five stone band is stunning and I hope that you can become more comfortable with wearing and enjoying it on your right hand. Again, I think that type of band compliments the wedding set on the other hand. It's so beautiful and I would hate to think of it spending most of its time in a box!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You sound so happy with your new stone - and your Grace is just as stunning as ever!!

I love tg's set - it's such a beautifully blingy take on the traditional solitaire + eternity match :love: A thicker diamond band like hers would compliment your stone beautifully! Actually I think the depth (height off the finger) of the solitaire shank is what makes the biggest difference - I like it when all bands on the finger match well in depth, and the extra depth of bigger diamonds compliments a slightly thicker/deeper shank perfectly IMO :sun:

A channel like MGR's Tiffany is another option for a slimmer profile - I'm usually a plain band gal but oh, I LOVE the way hers looks with her threestone!!

Your fivestone is :love: :love: :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I am so glad I saw this before going to bed!!! Gosh your E VS1 is perfection! :love: And the MM setting will be a worthy home for it! I don't see a lot of purpose in those diamonds down there at the base of the head. Doesn't he put diamonds in the holes in the prongs on some of his rings? I think I would like that better. I agree that you really need to plan out the wedding band options before ordering the e-ring. I love that ring, too, but the one thing that has stopped me from getting it is that I think the doughnut needs to be a little thicker so the head can be raised up just a little. I think he needs to allow some clearance for any type of wedding band. Since I have had a ring set super low, I know there is danger of a wedding band hitting the prongs of the e-ring if the head is set too low. I have not seen one made with the head up a little, so he may not be agreeable to doing that. But I think it is important to think about in case you ever wanted something like a Memoire eternity to wear with it. We have seen the same problem with some of the Tiffany repros being set too low as well, so that is why we have to be careful to be clear when ordering those as well.

The 5 stone ring is really gorgeous and very nice proportions to go with your wedding set (as I probably already mentioned)! :love: I don't see a think wrong with wearing it as an alternative to the wedding set since that is what I do, too! But it is great that you can wear it on either hand. I am like both you and MGR in that I don't care about having a lot of RHR's because I rarely wear one. The one I will eventually have finished for this anniversary is probably going to be my only RHR (unless I get a new 5 stone band made), and it won't be an everyday ring.

It's so late I'd better stop, but I'll think about all this and come back tomorrow!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, Blueiris! I just read that you have 5 kids! Me too, I got a five stone ring for exactly the same reason, but I dont wear it with my ering. Alas, mine is only 20 point stones, but I do love it. My ering stone is the same size as yours and I wear it with an eternity with 10 pointers. I love the look of a solitaire with a eternity but I ended up going with a ring that had pave because I knew I loved it. If you wanted to see how the stone looks with 10 pointers you can look at some of my photos.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love your original set from BGD and am looking forward to your review of a solitaire setting from Mark Morrell.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks|1325644212|3094532 said:
blueiris|1325628159|3094303 said:

You have such a good memory! I do wear my five stone Memoire on my right hand all the time. It was a 25/30 anniversary ring (started as 25 with another ring and after problems with it I traded it toward the Memoire at 30 years). I bought it with the intention of wearing it all the time and foregoing any other RHRs. It's my anniversary ring that balances out the wedding set - starting to see how anal I am? I suppose that's why I never got interested in the colored stones or whatever - I'm just not one to change stuff up too much - I like to wear the same things everyday. The bangle bracelet does have one stone and it was made by Hearts on Fire. I wear it quite a bit and then I have a tennis bracelet that I wear to dressier events.

In all honesty, I don't know the difference between the Extreme Petite and the Regular Petite - can only assume that the proportions of the extreme are smaller. I think it is a beautiful setting though and while I'm not a pave type person, I do like the diamonds in the crown. I don't know how much they would interfere with a wedding band or if because of the donut, they wouldn't even touch. I know that from my experience with my three stone I had a devil of a time finding a wedding band that I liked. I had a couple of plain gold bands but always wanted a diamond wedding band. The problem was (and remember I have a three stone ring with the stones kind of set low) that when I paired a wedding band with the ring, it just looked like a big glob of diamonds. It was sparkly but I still wanted that center stone to shine on its own. I think in finding the Tiffany channel set band I found something that had minimal metal, plenty of sparkle and was thinner overall than the ering. This seemed to fit the bill. A large round diamond appears different than stones in a wedding band. Guess I should say they don't match just because of their size and different appearance but that bugged me. I also couldn't stand if the color looked off and it always did to me in wedding band stones that had some size to them. Again, the appearance of the stones is different and the colors look different too between one large stone and say seven smaller stones. Most people probably know and accept this - I'm just too picky and anal. I do think that a solitaire setting looks completely different with a band too than the three stone I'm used to working with and hopefully you won't find that you have to tear up the town to find a look that you love. I'm old enough now to know if it bugs me in the store it will never grow on me and I'm just wasting my money. All of this to say that I don't know if I could have ever found an ering and wedding band at the same time that I would have loved. Maybe in this case you get the ering setting that you love and then hunt for a wedding band that pleases you. If you were really lucky, maybe Mark could suggest something paired with the setting and he could make both at the same time.

At any rate, your five stone band is stunning and I hope that you can become more comfortable with wearing and enjoying it on your right hand. Again, I think that type of band compliments the wedding set on the other hand. It's so beautiful and I would hate to think of it spending most of its time in a box!

I love your Memoire ring! Your previous comments (when I was debating various five-stone ideas in the late fall of 2010) about your Memoire ring balancing your wedding set have stuck with me. I remembered you saying you increased the size of the stones to 2 ct. because it seemed more balanced to you.

I don't know if I just don't like wearing a ring on my right hand, period, or if part of it is that the diamonds stick out somewhat on the sides and are a bit pokey. I really wanted 30 pt. stones but Brian felt strongly that 40 pt. stones balanced better with my e-ring and wouldn't be too large for my finger. I think your finger is smaller than mine (mine's a 6.25 on the right) - do you find that your Memoire with 40 pt. stones pokes you?

The Extreme Petite Torchiere differs in just two ways. The upper basket/prongs are more elongated than the regular Petite Torchiere, and the position of the little diamonds in the basket is moved from the upper openings to the lower openings. I misunderstood Mark and thought that the E. P. T. also had a somewhat raised "donut" to allow for a wedding band. But I've now learned that he can make it that way.

I looked at the photos of your beautiful 3-stone ring with your channel-set Tiffany band, and they look wonderful together! I love what you said about a "ribbon of diamonds" - perfect. Like you, I also want a diamond band and also like you, I want the e-ring stone to remain the "star", so to speak. I do intend to have Mark make both the setting for my e-ring and the wedding band; it just seems to make sense to me. After talking again to Mark via email, and looking at more photos of other rings he has designed (which I'll attach below), I am pretty sure that a shared prong ring is out of the question. He doesn't make shared prong rings to wear with his e-rings (at least that I am aware of), and I'm assuming the reason is they tear up the prongs/basket. If I'm going to go to the trouble (and expense) of having MM make my rings, I don't want to have to worry about tearing up the basket and prongs! So that leaves channel set, and bead set - with the caveat that a bead set ring would need to have more metal on the sides to keep the girdles of the diamonds from doing their chewing! Mark's bead set rings do not allow the girdles of the diamonds to extend to the sides of the band. In reality, his bead set bands look a little different from his channel set bands, because of the beads, but not all that different. I don't know which style I like best. I am also going to attach a few photos I took this morning of my Grace setting with a YG channel set ring I have. I'd love opinions on that look with my ring (assuming that the MM ring will look similar from the top). The YG channel set ring is 1 ct., full eternity.

Here are a few of Mark's rings:

Kim Trinh_2.41ct_modified Pet-Torchiere_mate band_sz4.75__021s.JPG

Kim Trinh_2.41ct_modified Pet-Torchiere_mate band_sz4.75__017s.JPG

MM bead set.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results