shape
carat
color
clarity

My new rings from BGD!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried the milgrain band on with the e-ring and diamond bands but I thought it looked a little crowded on my finger. The upper part of my finger is longer, but the lower part is a little short. I didn't like it by itself with the e-ring because I just like the diamond bands better with the plain e-ring.

Oh, and the good news is that they are going into the city tomorrow and are hand delivering my diamond to Vatche! :appl: They said one to two weeks like they told sna.

One more thing...I gave no instructions about height. I just am hoping they know what they are doing. Do you think that is okay? I thought the picture of the 1.2 stone in the setting looked good...did y'all?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, seriously love that look! And the memoire sits perfectly with it! makes me want to set my OEC in that mount too :Up_to_something: So classic. ETA: Does the shank have a soft knife edge?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1327016203|3106972 said:
OK, seriously love that look! And the memoire sits perfectly with it! makes me want to set my OEC in that mount too :Up_to_something: So classic.

Oh, thank you, Dreamer!!! I think that setting was created back when OEC's were being cut, so it certainly would be appropriate!

(Did you get my message through db answering a question you had asked me elsewhere?)

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327016168|3106971 said:
I tried the milgrain band on with the e-ring and diamond bands but I thought it looked a little crowded on my finger. The upper part of my finger is longer, but the lower part is a little short. I didn't like it by itself with the e-ring because I just like the diamond bands better with the plain e-ring.

Oh, and the good news is that they are going into the city tomorrow and are hand delivering my diamond to Vatche! :appl: They said one to two weeks like they told sna.

One more thing...I gave no instructions about height. I just am hoping they know what they are doing. Do you think that is okay? I thought the picture of the 1.2 stone in the setting looked good...did y'all?

I like the diamond bands with the e-ring, too! They look fabulous together. And how exciting that you'll have everything back in such a short time. I did like the way the 1.2 stone looked in the setting, and I'd be inclined to trust them on the height. I can't wait to see everything finished, DS! I'm so excited for you. :appl:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, I would totally trust them on the height too. 1-2 weeks will fly by and how awesome that GOG is going to deliver your stone to Vatche in person :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrssalvo|1327023637|3107083 said:
DS, I would totally trust them on the height too. 1-2 weeks will fly by and how awesome that GOG is going to deliver your stone to Vatche in person :appl:

Totally agree! I think you're going to love that ring!

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
I just got home after a late night at work (most weeknights are late!) and saw the additional pictures with this thread.

DS, it is going to be GORGEOUS! I love the look with your Memoire, and am so excited to see that the two bands work together! Maybe Vatche will underpromise and overdeliver and you will get your ring early. I can't wait to see the finished product! :appl: :appl: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I am so glad you all don't think I made a mistake not specifying height! I just didn't want it to end up too high and then I would have no one to blame but myself! But since the picture of the 1.2 from GOG looked okay, I just had hope that they would set it the right height. The only thing I did specify was the 90/10 platinum. Lynda said I wasn't the first to request that on a Vatche ring! I told her I guess PS people all read the same advice and even some that never post go and order rings that way!

Owies Nana...glad you stopped in to see the pictures! I am so glad you like it! I hope they get it ready quicker, too!

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
blueiris: I have a question for you....I'm wondering why you didn't go to BGD to have an eternity band made to match your Grace? Is it because you had already decided to change your setting from the Grace to a MM? I only ask bc I have a Grace e-ring and wedding band and want an eternity band. I got fed up of not finding a band that matched the height of my Grace set so I finally decided to get BGD to custom make me an eternity band. I just sent my set in today for them to take measurements.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sirbenson|1327462493|3111095 said:
blueiris: I have a question for you....I'm wondering why you didn't go to BGD to have an eternity band made to match your Grace? Is it because you had already decided to change your setting from the Grace to a MM? I only ask bc I have a Grace e-ring and wedding band and want an eternity band. I got fed up of not finding a band that matched the height of my Grace set so I finally decided to get BGD to custom make me an eternity band. I just sent my set in today for them to take measurements.

Hi, it's funny you dropped in here because I have some pictures of my Memoire ring on page 12 of this thread. I was trying it with a setting that I am ordering. You can see the height compared to the e-ring, but I think the e-ring shank is maybe higher than the Grace.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327468041|3111158 said:

Hi, it's funny you dropped in here because I have some pictures of my Memoire ring on page 12 of this thread. I was trying it with a setting that I am ordering. You can see the height compared to the e-ring, but I think the e-ring shank is maybe higher than the Grace.

I love that eternity band you posted!

Two questions:

-what mm width is the e-ring band (shank I think is the right term?)?

-do you know how high off the finger that eternity band sits?

Oh and one more :)

What is the diameter of that eternity band?

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock

Hi sirbenson! You're correct; I'd already decided to change my ring to the MM setting, so that's why I didn't pursue trying to find a diamond band that will work with the Grace setting. However, in the process of trying on various diamond bands, I've discovered that even the lowest shared prong ring I can find (the Tiffany) is still too high for the Grace. So I understand what you've been going through!

I'm sure your new band will be beautiful with the Grace, which is a beautiful setting! Will your band be a shared prong, bead set, channel set, or bezel set?

ETA: I just saw your questions about the Memoire band. DS owns it so she can actually measure, but for what it's worth, I have also been looking at the Memoire as a diamond band option. I was told by a vendor who sells Memoire that the band with 10 pt. stones is approximately 2.5mm in height. (Or depth? At any rate, the measurement from the finger upward.) It's about 3mm in width. As for the Vatche, I have that here at the moment and I've been trying to measure it. I think it's about 2mm in width - but the edge on the band gives an optical illusion of it being narrower. How wide is your Grace band? Mine seems to be a hair under 2mm.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
blueiris|1327528887|3111649 said:

Hi sirbenson! You're correct; I'd already decided to change my ring to the MM setting, so that's why I didn't pursue trying to find a diamond band that will work with the Grace setting. However, in the process of trying on various diamond bands, I've discovered that even the lowest shared prong ring I can find (the Tiffany) is still too high for the Grace. So I understand what you've been going through!

I'm sure your new band will be beautiful with the Grace, which is a beautiful setting! Will your band be a shared prong, bead set, channel set, or bezel set?

ETA: I just saw your questions about the Memoire band. DS owns it so she can actually measure, but for what it's worth, I have also been looking at the Memoire as a diamond band option. I was told by a vendor who sells Memoire that the band with 10 pt. stones is approximately 2.5mm in height. (Or depth? At any rate, the measurement from the finger upward.) It's about 3mm in width. As for the Vatche, I have that here at the moment and I've been trying to measure it. I think it's about 2mm in width - but the edge on the band gives an optical illusion of it being narrower. How wide is your Grace band? Mine seems to be a hair under 2mm.

My Grace band is 2.5mm wide. I'm not sure if I'm gonna go single prong or shared prong yet. Definately not channel set. I considered looking into the Memoire band today but realized it will probably be too high and will likely be more $$ than what my ring will cost to have BGD make it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sirbenson|1327519725|3111512 said:

Two questions:

Hmm, that e-ring is around 2mm wide. It is deceiving because it is a knife edge and looks super thin in pictures.

Yes, I measured the Memoire with calipers and it was 2.3 mm high off the finger. Those stones are between 10 and 11 points. My ring unfortunately is only a 7 stone band at the moment (I'd like to maybe upgrade it to full eternity, though!), and I will have to measure it for you tomorrow. I am thinking it is close to 3mm maybe.

What is the height of the Grace shank?

I really think if you want to go lower than 2.3mm, you may have to go with smaller stones than 10 pts. Memoire is the lowest shared prong band that we know of around here thus far.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blueiris|1327528887|3111649 said:

You have the Vatche there now???? :naughty: You need to give us a report!!! I just answered those questions before I saw that you had pretty much answered them!

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327557044|3112028 said:
sirbenson|1327519725|3111512 said:

Two questions:

Hmm, that e-ring is around 2mm wide. It is deceiving because it is a knife edge and looks super thin in pictures.

Yes, I measured the Memoire with calipers and it was 2.3 mm high off the finger. Those stones are between 10 and 11 points. My ring unfortunately is only a 7 stone band at the moment (I'd like to maybe upgrade it to full eternity, though!), and I will have to measure it for you tomorrow. I am thinking it is close to 3mm maybe.

What is the height of the Grace shank?

I really think if you want to go lower than 2.3mm, you may have to go with smaller stones than 10 pts. Memoire is the lowest shared prong band that we know of around here thus far.

I have never measured my Grace and I don't have calipers to do it anyway.

Anyway, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying the Memorie without even seeing it or trying it on. And I've already sent my rings to BGD to have an eternty band made so I guess Memoire is out of the question. I don't relaly know what 10 pointers look like in terms of size but I'd need the eternty band to be made with whateve pointers end up being 2.5 mm wide and low profile. The bigger the pointers, the bigger the diameter and the deeper the stone, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Memoire may be the lowest shared prong band but if I got BGD to make one for me, wouldn't that be the better option? Also, does anyone know what the height off the finger of BGD's Dream eternity is? Then again, wouldn't it depend on what stones are used?

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
sirbenson|1327540095|3111805 said:
My Grace band is 2.5mm wide. I'm not sure if I'm gonna go single prong or shared prong yet. Definately not channel set. I considered looking into the Memoire band today but realized it will probably be too high and will likely be more $$ than what my ring will cost to have BGD make it.

Did you ask for your Grace setting to be made a little wider? I think the web site says it's 2mm wide, so I'm curious how you ended up with 2.5mm.

You're right that the height and width of an eternity will depend on the size of the stones. I think you are on the right track to get a band made specifically to work with your Grace. For me, even the lowest of the shared prong diamond bands doesn't work with my particular Grace setting. I have some photos earlier in the thread where you can see it with the Tiffany shared prong (8 pointers) and with a 10-pointer eternity from BN that I tried out. Even with the Tiffany, which is a little lower in height than the BN eternity, the girdles of the diamonds would be against the ring. Any ring I could get to work with my Grace would need to be metal against metal (which will still scratch but not ruin the setting) instead of diamonds against metal and so far, there isn't a shared prong eternity that can work (without going custom). Since your Grace setting is a little bigger, you may have a little more leeway than I do, but I still think that you're on the right track to get it custom made specifically to go with your e-ring.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327557202|3112031 said:
You have the Vatche there now???? :naughty: You need to give us a report!!! I just answered those questions before I saw that you had pretty much answered them!

Yep. :D The very same one (I presume) that you had. I got it yesterday and it's going back to GOG today, because they want it before Saturday's shopping crowd. So I haven't had it long, but long enough to see it.

I like the setting; it seems well-made and design-wise, very close to the real Tiffany. I already returned the Tiffany half eternity so I couldn't try it on with that, but since I know it's a little lower than the one I have from BN, I know it would work. As far as the one from BN, the Vatche setting does work better with that band than that band worked with my Grace - not a huge amount better, but better. That band is quite low, not quite a low as the Tiffany, but the exact same height as two bands I tried from Pearlman's that are very low. I suspect that the Tiffany may be just a little bit lower because the stones are little bit smaller.

I have one major hesitation about getting the U-113, and maybe you can help with it since you're familiar with Tiffany. Apparently Vatche does not make a matching plain band for the U-113. I asked about getting one and the price is quite high, just $50 less than the price for the Vatche e-ring setting! That is a lot more than I want to pay for a plain platinum band. It's nearly 3 times the price of the plain knife-edge platinum band from Tiffany! I thought perhaps I could get the Tiffany band - but since I can't order one from Tiffany and try it on with the Vatche setting (since the Vatche setting is going back today), I won't know for sure that it will work. And so I don't want to commit to the Vatche setting without knowing I'll have a reasonably priced plain platinum band that will work with it. I don't want to have just a diamond band to wear with it; I like the look of a plain e-ring and a plain band, too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that is so funny to think that we have both tried on the same ring within a week!!! :bigsmile: (I also sent the ring back the next day so they wouldn't be without it long.) I am pretty shocked to hear that they aren't making a matching knife edge band. But I will have to say, I would not buy that except to use as a spacer. I am in love with Tiffany platinum milgrain bands, and I'd probably get the 3mm plain one if I wanted to wear it with the solitaire. I don't really like the two knife edge bands together alone and I am not sure if the Tiffany one will work or not. However, since I am planning to take my 2mm milgrain band back to Tiffany, I can check and see how their knife edge band works if I get my Vatche e-ring before the 30 days is up at Tiffany! And really, I can try on a bunch of different ones if my good sales person is there (if she isn't mad at me for the return!).

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327604448|3112352 said:
Well, that is so funny to think that we have both tried on the same ring within a week!!! :bigsmile: (I also sent the ring back the next day so they wouldn't be without it long.) I am pretty shocked to hear that they aren't making a matching knife edge band. But I will have to say, I would not buy that except to use as a spacer. I am in love with Tiffany platinum milgrain bands, and I'd probably get the 3mm plain one if I wanted to wear it with the solitaire. I don't really like the two knife edge bands together alone and I am not sure if the Tiffany one will work or not. However, since I am planning to take my 2mm milgrain band back to Tiffany, I can check and see how their knife edge band works if I get my Vatche e-ring before the 30 days is up at Tiffany! And really, I can try on a bunch of different ones if my good sales person is there (if she isn't mad at me for the return!).

It is funny, and I actually thought of you as I slipped it on my finger for the first time. :D

Good to know that you don't like the look of two knife edge bands together - since I've never tried that, I don't know if I would like it or not. Does the 2mm migrain band look too narrow with the Vatche? I ask because you suggested that you would get the 3mm band instead. It's so hard to know how things are going to look until you actually try them on, which is particularly frustrating for someone like me without access to Tiffany and other stores!

If you do get a chance to try on the Tiffany knife edge band with your new Vatche, and others of their bands, that would be so helpful (not to mention fun!) I was browsing their selection again yesterday (to check out the knife edge band) and they have a lot of really pretty bands.

Any word on your ring yet? It shouldn't be too much longer, maybe a week or so?

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I got my Grace made 2.5mm as I don't like the 2mm width.

Well, I'm sure if no shared prong eternity rings worked with your ring that they won't work wtih my ring either :( We have the same setting, just that mine is .5mm wider, so I don't think this would change the height much. Now I'm so worried that I won't be able to get an eternity band like I had my heart set on ;( Maybe the BGD Dream will work but I'm not sure. I've emailed BGD and I'm still waiting for a response about that. I really don't want to re-set my e-ring just to get an eternity band that'll work. For one, it would be all that money down the drain for my e-ring and w-band Grace settings. And I'd have to start from scratch and get a whole new e-ring AND band, just so that I could find an eternity band to match. Not sure I'm prepared to put in that kind of money just so I can have an eternity band.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
blueiris: What did you do with your old Grace set?

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
sirbenson|1327615317|3112474 said:
Yes, I got my Grace made 2.5mm as I don't like the 2mm width.

Well, I'm sure if no shared prong eternity rings worked with your ring that they won't work wtih my ring either :( We have the same setting, just that mine is .5mm wider, so I don't think this would change the height much. Now I'm so worried that I won't be able to get an eternity band like I had my heart set on ;( Maybe the BGD Dream will work but I'm not sure. I've emailed BGD and I'm still waiting for a response about that. I really don't want to re-set my e-ring just to get an eternity band that'll work. For one, it would be all that money down the drain for my e-ring and w-band Grace settings. And I'd have to start from scratch and get a whole new e-ring AND band, just so that I could find an eternity band to match. Not sure I'm prepared to put in that kind of money just so I can have an eternity band.

I had no idea how low the Grace is when I purchased it. But also at the time that I purchased it, I didn't think I'd want a diamond band so I'm not sure if the low setting of the Grace would have mattered to me then. But it matters to me now, and it did come as quite a surprise to see how low it is. In my case, I have also started to really like six-prong settings so I'm willing to change settings for that reason as well. And yes, you're right about it being a lot of money!

I don't know how high the dream setting is, but I'm sure BGD can tell you (also depends on diamond size). They also have a setting that is a U-prong eternity and I imagine that one is about as low as it gets - but again, overall height depends on the size of diamonds you want. What about one of their precision set bands? I'm not sure if they have one that's 2.5mm wide though, and I don't know how you'd feel about it being narrower, but they do look very low. Also I'd ask about their bead set band; maybe it will be lower than the shared/single prong style. I do think that if you don't want too big of diamonds, you'll be able to have a diamond band that works with your Grace.

Do you have a point size in mind? I've tried both 8 and 10 point bands, and the 8 point band (from Tiffany) came closer to working with the Grace. Here's a pic of that band next to my e-ring.

ETA: Just saw your question about what I did with my Grace set. I haven't reset yet; I'm still deciding what I want to do. So I'm still wearing it.

8 pt. SP Tiffany4.jpg

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the follow up!

Honestly, at this point it doesn't matter what size pointers I get. My main desire is a blingy band to go with my Grace set. When I got the Grace I DID know that it was low and that's what I wanted, a very low setting. I knew I wanted the Grace wedding band so finding a matching band was never an issue. AND at the time BGD told me that if I ever watned an eternty band, they could make one to match my Grace set. So the time has finally come and I hope it will work out! I know they just got the rings yesterday and I just emailed yesterday asking if their Dream band would work but I'm soooo impatient right now with waiting for them to email me back. :lol: Basically I want to get this show on the road!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
sirbenson|1327618690|3112523 said:

Honestly, at this point it doesn't matter what size pointers I get. My main desire is a blingy band to go with my Grace set. When I got the Grace I DID know that it was low and that's what I wanted, a very low setting. I knew I wanted the Grace wedding band so finding a matching band was never an issue. AND at the time BGD told me that if I ever watned an eternty band, they could make one to match my Grace set. So the time has finally come and I hope it will work out! I know they just got the rings yesterday and I just emailed yesterday asking if their Dream band would work but I'm soooo impatient right now with waiting for them to email me back. :lol: Basically I want to get this show on the road!

I'm sure you can have a diamond band if you don't care what size of diamonds they are. That shouldn't be a problem at all.

I will be very interested to see what they suggest, and what you choose to do. I''m sure it will turn out great!

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
blueiris|1327619053|3112529 said:
sirbenson|1327618690|3112523 said:

I'm sure you can have a diamond band if you don't care what size of diamonds they are. That shouldn't be a problem at all.

I will be very interested to see what they suggest, and what you choose to do. I''m sure it will turn out great!

Gosh I hope it works out too! I've been looking forward to this for so long! If it works out I will post the outcome in SMTB.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Their Dream band probably will not work. They would need to order an ultralow setting. You have to consider that the depth is greater the larger the diamonds. So you may have to go with smaller diamonds to get one low enough. I am pretty sure I have seen people here feel the Dream band was too high to wear with their e-rings. But if you wear the Grace band in between, the diamond band can be just a little higher.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327620219|3112549 said:
Their Dream band probably will not work. They would need to order an ultralow setting. You have to consider that the depth is greater the larger the diamonds. So you may have to go with smaller diamonds to get one low enough. I am pretty sure I have seen people here feel the Dream band was too high to wear with their e-rings. But if you wear the Grace band in between, the diamond band can be just a little higher.

I definately want to wear the Grace wedding band on one side of my e-ring and the eternity band on the other side of my e-ring.

Do you have any other suggestions since Dream won't work? Just cross my fingers they can do something custom?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has always been the understanding here that the two lowest shared prong settings were Tiffany and Memoire. You can see how the Tiffany 8 point band works with the Grace. But it just may be that you need to get a band made like the Grace but with beadset stones and then the height will be equal. Or as I said, you can wear the Grace wedding band in the middle and the problem is solved. Ame wears hers like that if you happen to see her avatar.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
DS, I meant to post this pic of the setting w/the BN band. This band is the same height as the two I had here from Pearlman's (U-prong and trellis - very nice bands). Thoughts on the height? (This is the one that's just a little taller than the Tiffany. I'm not considering keeping it, but just for an idea on whether either of the rings from Pearlman's would work.)

VBN1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results