shape
carat
color
clarity

My new rings from BGD!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I can tell it's lower, but it's not by much. I was surprised by that. I just measured the Tiffany band. On the diamond side, it appears to be just a bit over 2mm deep. The BN band is just a little deeper than the Tiffany band - maybe by .5mm, but it's really hard to tell!

I think 10 pointers is as big as I want to go, too, to wear it with my e-ring. The Tiffany full eternity in the 3mm size is terribly expensive (more than twice the cost of the BN), and I will definitely check with Pearlman's when the time comes. I had no idea that they offer a discount to PSers; that's great!

I also really like the eternity by itself, even this smaller size (meaning not 20 or 30 points or even bigger). It doesn't have the impact of an eternity with larger stones but it does look very refined and delicate, yet sparkly as heck! I can see why you like wearing your Memoire by itself sometimes.

Ooh, won't be long now for your viewing of the stones! I'll keep checking back.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BlueIris, I love the eternity band! No wonder you like the look so - it is beautiful! It's hard to tell how high the stones sit up in relation to your ering though. What are your thoughts? Can you see if the stones are definitely touching the ering?

DS - anxious for the video - I know you are too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yes, a 10 point band is very pretty by itself or with a thin platinum band! I wore mine a LOT until I got this 5 stone band and now I wear it more since it is a little larger but not too much.

MGR..I am still waiting! I need to run errands but can't leave!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1326490762|3102372 said:
Oh, yes, a 10 point band is very pretty by itself or with a thin platinum band! I wore mine a LOT until I got this 5 stone band and now I wear it more since it is a little larger but not too much.

MGR..I am still waiting! I need to run errands but can't leave!!![/quote]

Waiting is one thing I don't do well - I can certainly sympathize with you there! Seems like this has been a long time coming!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember you chasing down the delivery man...so I know you understand!!! :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1326491397|3102382 said:
I remember you chasing down the delivery man...so I know you understand!!! :lol:

You are so right! :naughty:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. . .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally went out shopping around 5:30 est, just got home, no email. :(( Saturday is a very busy day for them, so we'll see if it comes tomorrow.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks|1326490219|3102365 said:
BlueIris, I love the eternity band! No wonder you like the look so - it is beautiful! It's hard to tell how high the stones sit up in relation to your ering though. What are your thoughts? Can you see if the stones are definitely touching the ering?

Thank you, MGR! I think it looks pretty darn good with my ring, too. Just like the Tiffany, the stones are sitting too high, though I think that's really because my e-ring is set very low. I don't know if it would be possible to get a band lower than the Tiffany and even that one still is too high for my e-ring. If I want something like this, I will have to reset my ring.

DS, I can't believe no video/photos! Boo! I'm hoping for tomorrow for you. With this much time elapsing, maybe it would have been possible to send the stone to you after all. I'm still hoping that you'll get to see it (via sending it) before deciding for sure. With luck, the videos/photos will help you decide if you want to.

I had a nice talk with Bill Pearlman this afternoon. He's a really pleasant, helpful man. He said that he thinks the Memoire with 8 pt. - 10 pt. stones is about 2.5mm in height. He said it can be made in quite a few carat weights and six qualities (I'm assuming that includes both variations in cut and clarity), and suggested E/F for me (But I'm guessing that F/G would be fine, too - and actually, the H color of the Blue Nile ring doesn't look horrible with my stone.) He also suggested a couple other styles of eternity rings that I may want to consider. I didn't get any pricing information this time - I figured I wasn't ready for that yet, since I don't know what I'm doing with anything! I'm in no hurry at this point and want to really evaluate all my options.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blueiris|1326504334|3102547 said:
MissGotRocks|1326490219|3102365 said:

Thank you, MGR! I think it looks pretty darn good with my ring, too. Just like the Tiffany, the stones are sitting too high, though I think that's really because my e-ring is set very low. I don't know if it would be possible to get a band lower than the Tiffany and even that one still is too high for my e-ring. If I want something like this, I will have to reset my ring.

DS, I can't believe no video/photos! Boo! I'm hoping for tomorrow for you. With this much time elapsing, maybe it would have been possible to send the stone to you after all. I'm still hoping that you'll get to see it (via sending it) before deciding for sure. With luck, the videos/photos will help you decide if you want to.

I had a nice talk with Bill Pearlman this afternoon. He's a really pleasant, helpful man. He said that he thinks the Memoire with 8 pt. - 10 pt. stones is about 2.5mm in height. He said it can be made in quite a few carat weights and six qualities (I'm assuming that includes both variations in cut and clarity), and suggested E/F for me (But I'm guessing that F/G would be fine, too - and actually, the H color of the Blue Nile ring doesn't look horrible with my stone.) He also suggested a couple other styles of eternity rings that I may want to consider. I didn't get any pricing information this time - I figured I wasn't ready for that yet, since I don't know what I'm doing with anything! I'm in no hurry at this point and want to really evaluate all my options.

So glad you called Bill - he is just such a gentleman and a real pleasure to do business with!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1326504548|3102550 said:
I have a GENIUS friend who told me the video was posted with GOG's other video's!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwiM3COzjFM&list=UUEV7slr-i-VduBBnfv9MxhA&index=1&feature=plcp

Please tell me if you can see any difference in the performance of the first two stones (I realize there is a very tiny size difference).

So glad it's finally there! Aside from the size, I can see no difference in the performance! Hard to believe, isn't it? I think anyone would be hard pressed to see any real difference except the smallest sliver in terms of stone diameter. With those stones apart, I highly doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference. The differences would just be mind differences and you'll have to be the judge of how much, if any, those things mean to you. In all honesty though, if we put away anal tendencies, you really have to judge by just what your eyes can see. It's what you see and what others will see - the rest in numbers and images and certs is more for your benefit than anyone else's. The public at large knows very little of what we do and I'm beginning to think that's a good thing! - but in all the compliments and comments I've ever received on my ring it is the way it looks and nothing else that they comment on. No one asks color, people have said it looks very clear, no one inquires about cut quality - I'm sure this is your experience as well. They just know size and pretty - and both of these stones for you fit that description!

So, dearie, I say decide with your eyes. In this circumstance, it's the only way that makes sense!

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I really believe that its extremely difficult to tell the difference.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR...I surely can't see any difference in performance...certainly not several thousand dollars worth!!!

janetjoan...glad you checked in! I feel the way about these two stones as I did about the two we compared for you the other day. They looked virtually identical and one was several thousand less! And as you know, I am a bargain hunter but still want high quality...like you!

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock
I watched the video twice as I feel its the least I could do!! Do I hear another Tiffany band calling your name?!! We would at least have time for lunch this time as I got my new ring today. Going to post pics soon although they arent the greatest. I bought a little uv flashlight type gadget that shows the fl- so cool. The stone and setting turned out beautifully thanks to you.n i love the 4 prongs. Posting soon... I say go for the stone on the left!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
janetjoan64|1326507932|3102587 said:
I watched the video twice as I feel its the least I could do!! Do I hear another Tiffany band calling your name?!! We would at least have time for lunch this time as I got my new ring today. Going to post pics soon although they arent the greatest. I bought a little uv flashlight type gadget that shows the fl- so cool. The stone and setting turned out beautifully thanks to you.n i love the 4 prongs. Posting soon... I say go for the stone on the left!

You got it back TODAY???!!!! Yay!!!! :appl: I cannot WAIT to see it!!! I am thrilled that you are happy with it!!! I can't wait to see it in person, too! When I get mine we'll meet for lunch and you bring your little light and we can look at our fluorescence!!!

(I'm not looking for a Tiffany band, although I would love to have another one! I am thinking of setting whatever diamond I end up with in a Tiffany replica solitaire.)

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like a plan I got it on Amazon for 7.95! I posted pics in SMTB!- love the 4 prong!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
janetjoan64|1326511539|3102634 said:
Sounds like a plan I got it on Amazon for 7.95! I posted pics in SMTB!- love the 4 prong!

Okay...headed to your thread now! How about sending me the link to the light! I have something I need to order from Amazon anyway!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
DS, I just watched the video and it was very helpful, I think! As already said by MGR and Janet, I could see the difference in size but it was extremely slight and I didn't see any difference at ALL in performance of the 1.58 and your 1.63. They're both beautiful stones and if you decide on one of them, you can't go wrong (at least, based on the video).

I've watched other videos of the Solasfera and liked it better than I did this time around. It seemed too splintery to me, not enough of the light/shadow play that I like about ideal cut stones. But the biggest surprise for me was that I didn't like the AVR nearly as much as I thought I would. I think it's interesting to watch the larger facets perform but for me, I just didn't find it as attractive as the hearts and arrows diamonds. For some reason, the rounded facets in the center kept reminding me of the NBC peacock, too! :) But all four are pretty diamonds, so you can't make a bad decision; it all comes down to what look you want. Can't wait to hear what you decide!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great! I am glad you came back and saw that I found the video, blueiris! I am glad you thought the two on the left both looked equally good! The one on the left has a price advantage because of the fluorescence, but as you could see, it was invisible in all those lighting situations! I really had him put the others in there for other reasons. I was considering an AVC for the antique style setting I got for my anniversary (except I may save that for the next anniversary at the rate I am going!) if I cannot find a sapphire for it. I also wanted to be SURE I wanted a traditional ideal cut over a specialty cut such as the Solasfera. It is still hard to tell for sure from a video, but I really did appreciate him taking the stones into the natural light at the end as that helped, also. I just think for me, the classic, timeless solitaire is what I need to stick with. It is what I have always had, and even though I like other stones for other purposes, I just can't see anything else for my e-ring. I had thought about a Van Craeynest setting with an AVR or AVC, and if I could justify two e-rings, I might do it. But I know the classic solitaire fits my lifestyle best.

Oh, and I used my calipers on the Memoire band and it was about 2.3mm thick (high).

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
I had a feeling that you might feel that a traditional ideal cut is for you - and I honestly think that if you decide to change to the 1.58, you won't be losing anything apparent in size or performance. And gaining those extra $$$ to put toward the Vatche or something else! But really, either way, you can't go wrong. They're both gorgeous stones! Do you feel comfortable making a decision on the 1.58 without seeing it, or if not, can Jon send it to you for approval now that you've seen the video and liked it?

Thank you for measuring the Memoire band; that's so helpful! I need a calipers because it's so hard to measure with a ruler.

I showed my husband the BN band and he too liked the size of it with my ring. Like all of us, he felt it was the biggest I could go without it looking too big. If I do get a band, I think I may go with 10 pointers because it's slightly more substantial when worn on its own. And I have a feeling that I will wear it on its own (or with a plain band) quite a bit.

I forgot to say that Bill Pearlman said that many e-rings, even when built to work with a shared prong band, will show some damage from the small diamonds after 12 - 15 years. But I'm sure that the right settings help minimize (if not prevent) that. I can live with 12 - 15 years before needing something done; I just don't want to send my ring somewhere every year or so.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was good to hear Bill's perspective for sure. He has been selling shared prong rings for years, so I am sure he has seen what can happen. I do think the setting of both rings has a lot to do with whether there is damage and also how loose they are. I would not size an eternity ring too small, but you could always try some kind of sizing inserts if you absolutely had to. A very low shared prong band paired with an e-ring where the prongs aren't too low will always be the best bet. Plus a doughnut to keep a tiny bit of space between them is good.

Yes, I am very set in my ways! I really knew I would stick with the classic rb, but I felt like since the decision was a final one, I wanted to explore everything! I will talk with him tomorrow. Since it appears I will be getting a new ring before I sell my old one, I will just have to look at the old one as an investment that will eventually be cashed in! I wouldn't necessarily take the risk except that all indicators are that diamonds aren't going down anytime soon with the international market buying more and more diamonds. Oh, and I want to ask Jon if they have a sample setting of the Vatche they might can send me for a day. I really feel like I need to see one before ordering. I think I still need to go up there, but I don't want to buy a new diamond and then have to wait until spring to go choose a setting!!!!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
I would have wanted to see other diamonds too, before making a final decision. I looked at videos of the Solasfera before buying my first RB; I was intrigued by the extra facets and what that might do. I was really torn for a while because I did like it, but in the end chose an ideal RB because it seemed like the safest choice for me. I haven't regretted that choice at all.

Did I somehow space out and miss that you're looking for a sapphire for your anniversary ring? Another thing in common! I told my husband a year or so ago that if I were ever to get a colored stone, I would want a sapphire. But it would have to be just the right color of blue, and cut, and size. Are you going to alternate this ring with your wedding rings and five-stone, or will this be a RHR? What setting did you choose?

I am very drawn to antique (or antique-looking) rings, so I understand the desire for something different. I have an ongoing romantic (and very unrealistic) fantasy about living in various times in history, with my favorites being the Regency era (love Jane Austen!), the Victorian era, the early 1900s (Downton Abbey!), and the Art Deco era. Like you, if I wanted another wedding set, I might choose something antique-y and intricate and amazingly detailed. But realistically, I can't justify it, and even more realistically, it doesn't really work with my lifestyle or clothing. I will have to be content to admire others' rings on PS, including your sapphire one (and if you ever do get an AVC in a Van Craeynest setting).

What a great idea to see if they can send you a Vatche setting to look at! If that is possible, I will want to do the same thing. I know you'll have yours set by Jon and so you'll be able to be much more "hands on" in the process than I would be, and I'm sure that will help a lot with getting everything just right. If I do go that route (the Vatche), do you think I'd be safer with Yekutiel, since he communicated with Vatche for both Bliss's ring and sna's wife's ring, and so will be familiar with the right height?

But that brings up another thing I've been thinking about since my conversation with Bill. We were talking about the carat weight/stone size of the eternity band I might want, and I mentioned that I was pleased to see that an 8 or 10 pt. band still looked substantial enough to wear on its own. He said, oh yes, and it's perfect for all those times when you don't really want to walk around with 5 cts. of diamond on your finger. Well, actually ... I don't really ever want to walk around with 5 cts. of diamond on my finger! So what am I doing, ADDING to the bling factor, when already I often feel self-conscious about the size of my diamond?! So then I started thinking maybe I should just get an eternity band to wear on its own and leave my set alone, since that would be less blingy than wearing the ER with a diamond band. But then I flip to the other side and think about how much I like the look of a RB with an eternity band. And ... I'm back to square one. :loopy: :loopy: :loopy:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It never ceases to amaze me how much we think alike! The ring is one of the Beaudry rings that Pearlman's has on clearance. They are extremely expensive but at 60% off, it is the chance of a lifetime to get a major designer piece at a smaller price. Mine is not one of the most expensive ones, but it is a design that can work for a left or right hand ring (but I plan for it to be a RHR that wouldn't be worn everyday). It has a halo in the center and I think a sapphire would look great and then I could have matching earrings made. An AVR would be gorgeous but obviously more expensive. I just really love the idea of the matching earrings with sapphires, though! Blue is my favorite color and sapphire is my birthstone, so it has always been my favorite. I only need a small one for this ring, but it isn't easy to find a great one.

This one is exactly the right size, but I am not sure how I feel about concave faceting and it is very expensive, I think for a sapphire:

http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=6156

In regard to the eternity band, I will tell you that I chose that Legacy band because my other one did bling it up more than I wanted. When your diamond is already larger than average, I just wanted something understated for the band. So for me, I probably wouldn't go above 8 pointers for a shared prong band to go with an e-ring, but my diamond is smaller than yours, too.

On the other hand, I would love to have a standalone band with maybe 12-14 pointers to wear when I didn't want to wear a wedding set! Variety is nice!!! :lol: But I'll have to wait for a future occasion for one of those...although I may do a 5 stone instead.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
When I had a brief stint of looking at sapphires, I came across the concave look - and I'm not sure how I feel about it, either. On the one hand, it's striking and mesmerizing and so beautiful! On the other hand, I'm not sure if it's the look I'd want forever. I took a look at the Beaudry settings and they're beautiful! One of those rings will be a fitting home for a gorgeous sapphire. And you will probably not be surprised by this but ... blue is my favorite color, too!

I debated for a while about just an eternity band - no solitaire - when we decided to sell my emerald cut. One day I wondered aloud if I would miss having a "big diamond" and my husband said that HE would miss me having one, so I gave that a lot of thought. I know he still would have been fine with it if I'd decided I wanted just an eternity band, but I didn't. So since I have a big diamond again, now I have to be very, very careful and keep uppermost in my mind WHY I didn't want to wear my emerald cut/trapezoid ring and asscher cut eternity band together very much - and not let myself go there again with this ring! I often wore just my asscher band because I didn't like all that bling. It was too much, for me (I know I'm an anomaly compared to most people, at least on PS!) What all of this is telling me is that I need to stop, slow down, give this far more thought, and not do anything right now. Someone very wise said something along the lines of, "When in doubt ... don't." :lol: And I shall heed that sage advice!

So now I'm wondering if for my birthday/anniversary, I should upgrade my diamond studs instead. I bought .80-ish stones initially because I didn't know for sure what size I wanted, thinking that in the future I might go up to 1 ct. each. My previous pair of studs are princess cuts, just over 1 ct. each and they were a nice size on me. But princess cuts face up smaller than rounds, so that's why I started with .80 in the rounds. I have large ears and detached lobes and I can definitely handle 1 ct. each, even for everyday. Given that diamond prices don't appear to be going down anytime soon, I wonder if I should do that instead. Since I'll probably be getting the diamond huggies (belated Christmas present), maybe this will be my year for the ears. ;-)

Have you decided for sure what you're doing? You've alluded to it but I'm not sure if that's your final decision!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am totally with you on keeping in mind our real world and what fits in it as well as with my casual lifestyle. I do encourage you to still get either a smaller shared prong band or a beadset or channel set band because the little row of sparkle really adds an elegant touch, I think, without looking like we are trying hard to win a bling contest!

I think larger studs is a nice goal, as well. I think if your lobes can handle it, 1 ct. each is a perfect size to go with your e-ring. I know some people may think it strange that I always consider my girls when I buy things, but they both have very tiny earlobes and I decided not to go large on studs because of that. I figured I could buy jackets if I ever needed to dress them up and increase the size. I had .75 each H color and now I have .65 each G color. It might be worthwhile to search for a pair in the .90 range, though, to avoid the bad price jump at 1 carat.

I emailed Jon and asked him a couple of questions. He assured me it was a great stone and a great buy, so I told him I definitely will take it! Now I am going to go email someone about seeing a setting or two. I will let you know what they say!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1326569703|3103008 said:
I am totally with you on keeping in mind our real world and what fits in it as well as with my casual lifestyle. I do encourage you to still get either a smaller shared prong band or a beadset or channel set band because the little row of sparkle really adds an elegant touch, I think, without looking like we are trying hard to win a bling contest!

I think larger studs is a nice goal, as well. I think if your lobes can handle it, 1 ct. each is a perfect size to go with your e-ring. I know some people may think it strange that I always consider my girls when I buy things, but they both have very tiny earlobes and I decided not to go large on studs because of that. I figured I could buy jackets if I ever needed to dress them up and increase the size. I had .75 each H color and now I have .65 each G color. It might be worthwhile to search for a pair in the .90 range, though, to avoid the bad price jump at 1 carat.

I emailed Jon and asked him a couple of questions. He assured me it was a great stone and a great buy, so I told him I definitely will take it! Now I am going to go email someone about seeing a setting or two. I will let you know what they say!

Big congrats to you DS!! Can't wait to see the stone on your hand!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, MGR! I just spoke with Jonathan's daughter, Sarah, and she also went to look at the diamond and said she certainly could not tell it apart from one of the signature H&A stones! So I feel great about it! Anyway, I also talked with Lynda about the Vatche setting, and their sample ring actually takes a 1.5 ct. stone, so she is going to sit a diamond in it and take a picture and email it to me! Then she said if I want to see it in person, they will send it Tues. and I can send it right back the next day. Sooo, I will post the pictures here since BlueIris is still undecided about what setting she wants, too. Lynda said the Vatche settings are very fine quality which is what I have observed with the ones I have seen. I also asked if the setting had too sharp of a knife edge and she said not at all. She said it came up to a ridge but that it was soft and not a hard peak. I told her to look at Bliss' ring, and she said it was an optical illusion and that the knife edge is not that pronounced, which is good.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue iris, I've been talking to Bill about an eternity band too! I'll be interested to see what you decide on.

I'm so excited to see both your and DS's rings/set!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1326574814|3103042 said:
Thank you, MGR! I just spoke with Jonathan's daughter, Sarah, and she also went to look at the diamond and said she certainly could not tell it apart from one of the signature H&A stones! So I feel great about it! Anyway, I also talked with Lynda about the Vatche setting, and their sample ring actually takes a 1.5 ct. stone, so she is going to sit a diamond in it and take a picture and email it to me! Then she said if I want to see it in person, they will send it Tues. and I can send it right back the next day. Sooo, I will post the pictures here since BlueIris is still undecided about what setting she wants, too. Lynda said the Vatche settings are very fine quality which is what I have observed with the ones I have seen. I also asked if the setting had too sharp of a knife edge and she said not at all. She said it came up to a ridge but that it was soft and not a hard peak. I told her to look at Bliss' ring, and she said it was an optical illusion and that the knife edge is not that pronounced, which is good.

Sounds like you've made good progress - can't wait for pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results